Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

CyberPingu posted:

A few years ago I'd agree that Liverpool weren't a huge global club but now they are consistently doing well in the League and CL I don't see why players would go to Barca or Real tbh

Barca and Real are both bigger clubs with more money in better places. Plus players from Southern Europe and Latin America tend to favor those clubs. So that’s why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bundy posted:

This is highly revisionist, Ferguson forced Beckham out after being fed up with his celebrity poo poo. It was Ronaldo's "childhood dream" to play for Real Madrid.

The Beckham part is fair enough, but the Ronaldo part is proving his point.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I wonder how much they’d actually get for him under the circumstances

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

He's an Arsenal center midfielder, they're all bad. Not to mention that he was so bad that Emery didn't think he was good enough for the current Arsenal midfield which is insanely bad.

He’s not that bad, really. He’s very limited but is kind of useful as a utility player. I think he was frozen out because he was hilariously overpaid. He’s not so bad that he shouldn’t get any playing time with this awful Arsenal team.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bundy posted:

I'd argue all the hilarious weak spots in Arsenal's team have been recent transfers. That hilarious back line minus Chambers/Bellerin who seem to be permanently injured in fine Arsenal tradition. Then of course there's Xhaka.

Holy poo poo Xhaka signed in 2016 :stare: Why is he still there?

*Hides Ashley Young behind a bin*

The 15/16 and 16/17 summers were disastrous for Arsenal and set them back years. They only signed Cech in 15/16 and then blew a ton of money on Xhaka, Lucas Perez, and Mustafi the next year.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Arsenal could have a pretty good squad with one excellent central midfield signing and two excellent defensive signings. The question is more whether the club is capable of making three signings like that, which they probably aren’t.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Akileese posted:

Arteta is saying Xhaka wants to stay and he wants him at Arsenal. Hertha Berlin just signed a defensive midfielder from Stuttgart so I guess that tracks?

Honestly, with all of his faults getting rid of him now doesn’t make much sense. Arsenal have so few senior midfielders that even if the signed a new one this transfer window they would still need him as a warm body.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bundy posted:

choice signings out of clubs in January.

There's no quick fix though. United are very much reaping what they sowed when the Glazers under invested and rode the sheer will of Ferguson to further success, with no plan of succession for either Ferguson or Gill. There isn't going to be any manager that comes into this squad as it stands and Next Season We're Challenging Again, not with Woodward having consistently failed in what is now 12 transfer windows.

I just want to point out that the Glazers had a plan for Ferguson’s succession, and that plan was David Moyes.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Der Shovel posted:

Moyes was never anyone's hand picked successor. He was the last minute panic appointment when the real hand-picked successor (Mourinho) fell through.

You made this up.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I thought they weren't supposed to (officially) discuss terms with the player without the transfer fee being agreed?

It’s common for the selling team to give the buying team permission to negotiate with their player. It’s also common for buying teams to ignore all rules associated with transfers.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Wow, Bentaleb is only 25. It feels like he was playing at Spurs a decade ago.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

Freddy Adu is still only "30" and has played for 14 clubs in nine countries in his career.

Topical to this thread, he's currently a free agent.

I used to check in on Freddy’s career, but it’s been a while. And omg the guy hasn’t played since 2018 after being released by a USL team. It’s really kind of amazing.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Big Huski Boi posted:

He couldn't cut it in the Finnish fourth division, no joke.

Does anyone have Suqit’s triangles post handy?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sourdough posted:

Where are all th Arsenal transfer rumors, when will the replacements for Mustafi and Luiz be announced?

Arsenal have no money and will only scrape the bargain basement for free transfers and loans. It’s all very Hicks and Gillette era Liverpool.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mods rename me joint most open-play crosses.

E: actual wrong thread

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 23, 2020

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sourdough posted:

I remember him looking better than that, though it's been awhile so may be misremembering. If he's fit, give him some minutes imo.

He looked quite good before everything fell apart, then his performances dropped off and he disappeared.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

sourdough posted:

I remember him looking better than that, though it's been awhile so may be misremembering. If he's fit, give him some minutes imo.

He deserves some minutes probably, but it seems like Emery absolutely shattered the team’s morale, and I get the impression that Arteta is trying to get the players who will be around for more than a year working in some kind of coherent fashion and re-integrating them into the team, which is fair enough tbh.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Mickolution posted:

Sky confirmed yesterday that talks are definitely happening, but not sure how serious it is.

Edit: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jan/26/saudi-340m-takeover-newcastle-leak-threatens-deal

I love that the first three words of this article are “a shell company”

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

I totally forgot about Alexis Sanchez. How has he done for Inter, Serie A posters?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I’m sure I’ve seen Soares play, but I don’t remember him at all. Seems sensible enough to take him on loan given the number of bad and injured defenders Arsenal already have on the books.

I have to say though that I don’t remember any other team signing injured players like Arsenal seem to do. Tierney wasn’t fit when he came in and we all know about Kallstrom’s broken back.

E: here’s Soares looking as though he’s smelled a fart:

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

trem_two posted:

Gervinho hasn't shown up to training all week, he's trying to force a move to a middle eastern club. Too bad.

I hope they give him his helicopter and private island this time.