Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This is highly revisionist, Ferguson forced Beckham out after being fed up with his celebrity poo poo. It was Ronaldo's "childhood dream" to play for Real Madrid.

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah left back is a massive problem for basically every team because there's so few about. I dunno, we might be able to turn Larouci or one of the other kids into a good left back - maybe try doing what we did with Trent on the other side.

Can I interest you in one noted Premier League winning Ashley Young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

You can't say "whoever is perfect to replace him at RB" regarding TAA if he moves he's a special player you know

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Can't believe a "oops misread" joke over Hoever/whoever flew over so many heads and created so many terrible posts

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

I appreciated it OP

I used quotes and everything!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

pik_d posted:

I saw the joke but thought it was bad. Sorry OP.

You didn't go on about how TAA isn't an RB though as a counterpoint to my bad jokepost

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

Dutch women are hot, so good for Alan.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Hard to think the City takeover was a little over a decade ago. That changed a lot of things wrt market value of players. What does 30 mil even buy a club these days?

2 (two) Dan James

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I'd argue all the hilarious weak spots in Arsenal's team have been recent transfers. That hilarious back line minus Chambers/Bellerin who seem to be permanently injured in fine Arsenal tradition. Then of course there's Xhaka.

Holy poo poo Xhaka signed in 2016 :stare: Why is he still there?

*Hides Ashley Young behind a bin*

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

The 15/16 and 16/17 summers were disastrous for Arsenal and set them back years. They only signed Cech in 15/16 and then blew a ton of money on Xhaka, Lucas Perez, and Mustafi the next year.

I can't believe that was 3-4 years ago already. Xhaka still feels like a comedy signing flailing about, to be shown the door the next window, or disappear quietly into the reserves. Imagine Xhaka and Mustafi outlasting Cech.

It's like no one is at the wheel at Arsenal and everyone assumes someone else has it. Arteta has his work cut out and I'm not sure this was a wise choice for his first soiree into management. That said, plenty of the media know what he's walked into so the worst I think he'll get slated for is being an idiot for taking the job.

I heard Steve Round is part of his coaching staff though and I can only say he didn't cover himself in glory during his and Moyes' time at Old Trafford, and I'm somewhat surprised given the vast difference in styles between a coach like Pep and Round. Something from their Everton days I guess. There was another face on the bench that I recognised from United's coach merry-go-round, couldn't put a name to him but he was definitely here either under Mourinho's time or van Gaal's. I'm not sure taking on a big rebuild/ship steadying/post long term manager project with a bunch of staff that failed at exactly that would be my first move.

e: Stuivenberg and it was from van Gaal's time. He's been enjoying success as *checks Wikipedia* Ryan Giggs' assistant at Wales. Oh.

Lol wtf Arsenal

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 28, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Big Huski Boi posted:

It is exactly that.

Whereas with us the owner knows the chauffeur is pissed and doesn't have a license but they're too busy counting the money he found in a briefcase somewhere to notice the bollards he's smashing down on the hard shoulder. Currently a former employee-bystander has leapt into the vehicle and is trying to wrestle control from said pissed Ed and steer the car to safety. I am done murdering this metaphor.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

You've got to assume Arteta has been given the rest of this season as a free hit. The defence and centre mid is atrocious and it's not being fixed in January.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Big Huski Boi posted:

If Xhaka leaves (seems likely) they may actually let him buy someone in January.

I'm assuming you need at least one centre mid even with Xhaka. Who covers for him if he's say injured atm, Guendouzi? He looks like a red card waiting to happen as well.

Arsenal atm look like if you filled each bank of players with the worst examples of the Wenger comedy signings. It's a back four of Squilaccis, a midfield of Denilsons/Alex Songs and a front line of Chamakhs.

e: not to say none of the players are any better than the above, but because that's how they seem to be playing. Ozil is a world cup winner yet manages to look like Fred on his worst day most of the time.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 29, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

This would be my worry as a fan, it's not just first choice players needed it's cover as well, in a number of positions.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

He's poo poo, no bottle, never wanted him anyway

:qq:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

The question is, do Manchester United really need Haaland when they've got *checks list* Mason Greenwood?

Reports are Raiola wanted a buyout clause and % of fee which United flatly (and rightly imo) refused.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

TelekineticBear! posted:

He was born in Leeds and supports them, and his dad also played for City so he's likely had it drilled into his head from a young age that Wankchester pooshited are a bunch of clowns

*Haaland Sr stares intently at photo of Roy Keane* "And I want NINETY PERCENT of any sell on fee Ed"

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sassassin posted:

United should lend us Greenwood for half a season. They owe us.

Chong needs minutes

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Brony Car posted:

So does Lingard!

Lingard needs help to get his head on straight, his personal life is all over the place atm.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Lingard is lacking confidence which is crippling for creative players. It's the same reason players like Rashford have lean and purple patches, he's another confidence player. If that sliding rabona hadn't come off against Burnley and he'd knackered the chance I'd have been confidently expecting Rashford to have a dip in goal scoring form.

Lingard's work rate remains good, he's an ideal forward player to have in the matches where we're expecting to concede possession and play on the counter, as he's excellent at pressing defenders and midfielders. If Lingard's head is on properly I reckon he's got the confidence to beat Watford's keeper, instead he snatches the chip over the bar. Confident Lingard scores important goals.

He's gets more stick than he should because atm it's obvious when he tries things that don't come off, whereas the rest of his game isn't eye catching. He's created a lot of chances in matches he's played in prior to the Watford game, but because a trick doesn't come off or he's not scoring, that's all getting laser focus.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be producing more, an attacking mid/number 10 should be getting assists and goals. I don't think he's performing as badly as is being made out though, when deployed for his current strengths. I wouldn't be surprised if he starts against Arsenal for example, to force Arsenal's passing around the back into mistakes.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Dec 30, 2019

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Sandwolf posted:

It’d be criminal to keep him locked up in Manchester with the disrespect he’s received, maybe if he moved to a continental league he could develop a bit, idk

Certainly worth the plunk from Juve imho

What's Juve's midfield like these days? Is it as well suited for a luxury player like Pogba?

(As you can see I am reaching back into my United poster tropes from 2018 about how Pogba can only play on the left of a 3 where he can do what the gently caress he wants also he's world class and Mourinho just plays him wrong)

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/MrStephenHowson/status/1213904120110878728
:laugh:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

As poo poo as he's been for over a year, United's midfield is currently so thin that I can't really see this happening.

It's 6s/8s we have zero of and Lingard is neither.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

TBF United also don't have a lot of number 10s

True, but do have more players fit capable of playing there (to some degree or another) than in actual midfield.

Revisionism again though. It wasn't that long ago Lingard was one of the best players on the pitch against City and Spurs. I don't see how you get consistent performances from creative players when the midfield is so inconsistent and hosed right now.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Myssu posted:

What do you reckon his position is? He's not a wide player, usually, right?

When Lingard has played well it's been at 10 or wide forward (rather than out and out winger).

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

sticksy posted:

Wasn't he pretty good as a #10 in the 2018 WC or I am confusing him with Sterling accidentally (not racist)?

Nah he was one of the 3 in the middle of the 3-5-2 (Sterling and Kane being the up front 2) if memory serves but played as almost between 8 and 10. All I remember is that goal tbh but nothing that made me sad he went.

He's got personal problems and until the Arsenal match, had been effective still. Personally sad it doesn't look like he's sticking around if rumours are true but indeed it's not like we're losing someone world class, but a decent squad player.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

All well and good but we won't be able to field a loving 11 soon if we're getting rid and not signing SIGN SOME loving WARM BODIES

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Eau de MacGowan posted:

wait ashley young's going to inter milan? i saw the headlines and thought he was going to beckham's inter lol

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1215213347156701184

:laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol: :laffo: :lol:

:suicide:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Vegetable posted:

My guess is United wanted to keep him for another year at a drastically reduced wage, which makes sense.

Apoplectic response aside given current state of squad, yeah probably.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

It’s certainly man management and demanding players that fit in to a certain system. He’s used that 3-5-2 in lots of places so it’s more that he knows how to tell players to work that way rather than adapting to it. He does know when to switch though.

This would tie in with what happened at Chelsea I guess? The backlash felt like them not liking being told strictly how to play in a system, particularly Hazard. So of course Sarri was a logical replacement :v:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

It's EXTREMELY worrisome that the tone at United has already shifted to "considering" and "looking at" players. The time for that is loving months past, United need players now and they'll need more in the summer.

If Woodward & co seriously think they can just take January off and sign a couple of players next summer to meaningfully progress the club they're loving out of their minds. This season has already shown that not only is the squad as a whole not as good as it should be (which is not news, or surprising), but it also doesn't begin to have the needed depth. Key players have to play with injuries and play way too often simply because there are no good alternatives to rotate with, so they get tired and injured even more.

OK fuckin :words: about United post incoming so strap in or get scrolling.

So part of me is wondering if this season started out with low expectations of Ole and the league finishing position. The squad was worryingly thin when the season started even before all the injuries started happening, something I remember Adam McKola from FTD arguing with Gary Neville about (Adam has proven to be right in hindsight about not replacing the players that were shipped out, Neville at the time didn't seem to feel it necessary because the players that left "weren't good enough").

If I treat this as a mid season review, not much has changed from my usual complaints. Woodward too slow in the transfer window again, now and in the summer. However, a big difference from windows prior to this summer is Ole got rid of players that weren't in his plans and the 3 signings that did come in have all been decent. I haven't any complaints on Maguire, AWB or James, other than it's a shame they had to hit the ground running and in Maguire's case, into it.

It's clear that the plan going forward under Ole is to mix academy product with good young signings. It's frustrating with the squad as thin as it is that no one has been signed. I do also realise however that any older players that don't fit the mould, unless we manage a loan deal, are going to come expecting one last payday which is something the club are clearly no longer interested in entertaining. Everyone else knows we need players and it's hard to get first choice signings out of clubs in January.

There's no quick fix though. United are very much reaping what they sowed when the Glazers under invested and rode the sheer will of Ferguson to further success, with no plan of succession for either Ferguson or Gill. There isn't going to be any manager that comes into this squad as it stands and Next Season We're Challenging Again, not with Woodward having consistently failed in what is now 12 transfer windows.

United have squad players on guaranteed starter wages, are offloading starters and squad players without replacing them and currently have players starting week in week out that should be squad players at best or out on loan somewhere. It is reliably rumoured that the transfer process has changed to an incredibly cautious one given how much has been completely wasted over those 12 windows.

If I am wrong, then Ole is being expected to secure top 4 at least, with a squad neither deep enough or good enough. I like the style of football he clearly wants to play, I am frustrated that he doesn't seem to try to change things up more to suit the personnel he has at his disposal but then he wouldn't be the first manager to have a style of play he wants to play and that's that while recruitment catches up. Then again, what system can he play right now that gets around only having two fit-ish central midfielders, neither of which are particularly creative? Playing from the wings is difficult when there isn't a target man in the squad.

For me, so long as players like Rashford, Martial, Fred, Maguire, McTominay and the youth players coming through are playing for the manager he should be given time while Woodward unfucks the gently caress he's responsible for

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Strawman posted:

Allan Rodrigues de Souza from Liverpool to Atheletico Mineiro for £3m is a done deal

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/allan-fee-confirmed-liverpool-secure-17536609

This isn't a club announcement! Mods!

e: vv lol

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jan 9, 2020

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Gigi Galli posted:

listen, they traded the opportunity to sign a player (but only after 9 other teams have signed a player from a very small group of available players) for free for the possible opportunity to spend more money that they may or may not have on something else. It's very simple, you see.

Hi Gigi long time fan

What the gently caress are you talking about

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

The Young saga has reached Arsenal levels of comic absurdity.

United discovered that Young has signed a pre-contract with Inter, and are now forced to keep making increased offers to a 35 year old they were willing to let run down his contract just a few weeks ago, like he was a key part of the team or something. To his credit Young has been turning them down, but apparently there have been "several" increased offers already.

Fire. Woodward. Now.

Ole: "Ed I need a young full back for cover"
Ed: "I got this"
*Ole looks on Twitter*
:ughh:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shrapnig posted:

Dalot is only 20 and was brought to United to essentially be what United have been using Young as for the last two seasons. He’s also been injured a bunch. I’m not sure where you’re going with this because he’s a child who has barely played, I’m not sure why he would be memorable at this point

He's a good crosser of the ball too and I don't think it's coincidence he was signed when we had Lukaku.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

blue footed boobie posted:

You made this up.

Duncan Castles said it so it must be true.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Portuguese websites reporting that Fernandes to United is done and will be officially bolded today or tomorrow. Here’s hoping!

Hearing terms agreed with the player, just fee and whether anyone is going to go the other way to agree with Sporting.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Der Shovel posted:

Yep, a bunch of papers reporting the deal is expected to be finalised within the next few days. I swear to god if this falls apart because one of Woodward's billionaire bench warmers asks for too much money to go the other way in return I'm gonna take four shits and die.

E: oh hey speak of the devil

Rojo isn't going the other way.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

Hmmm

https://mobile.twitter.com/RickSpur

Ffs, protected tweet. Basically saying Gedson is in London about to sign for Spurs

I got you fam

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

CyberPingu posted:

I am.

What I was not aware of is that Utd were after Bruno Fernandes, not Gedson.

lol I thought you were just sharing Spurs news :xd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Word is Woodward is arguing over £50m +£10m other payments (United offer) vs £64m as asked by Sporting.

Ed I will loving cut you...