Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I have to say Arsenal's strategy of "sell everything, don't replace them" is a bold one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I never had any hope for Haaland to begin with, United just don't attract the top young talents in Europe anymore, and anyone who thinks they do is just fooling themselves.

Meanwhile the Ed Woodward experience has started briefing the press that United are interested in Christian Eriksen, but want to wait until the summer to get him on a free. Which would be the most Woodward thing imaginable: let Eriksen go elsewhere to save a couple of million, while torpedoing United's season and throwing out potential CL and sponsor payments of over £100m.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Eric the Mauve posted:

Eriksen’s current owner is Levy so you’re out of your mind if you think he can be had in the winter window for “a couple of million”

He'll be out of contract in the summer and apparently isn't interested in a new contract, so even Levy isn't going to be demanding insane amounts for him. I'm sure he won't move for free, but compared to the potential loss of revenue United will face if they don't get into the Champions League next season (and without any kind of decent number 10 that's not very likely) it would be negligent to not strengthen the team. Doubly so if the rumours are true that Jose wants Matic at Spurs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Reports coming out that Raiola and Haaland's father wanted "significant" payoffs to sign off on the deal ("a significant percentage of the total transfer value"), and United said no after encouraging negotiations with Haaland.

It'll remain to be seen whether or not it was smart to stop playing ball with Raiola now, but you could make the case that handing off tens of millions to Haaland's agent and father might not have been great business for a player who has not really played at all that much despite being a hot prospect.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

vyelkin posted:

lmao speaking of midfielders with no end product

He fulfills the two necessary categories ATM:

[x] is alive
[x] is not Nemanja Matic

E: apparently Juve have offered 53 million + Emre Can for Pogba, which IMO is about 30-40 million too little in today's market. Unless they value Emre Can at 50-60 million, which would be the most Juve thing.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jan 3, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Reports that Jesse Lingard is on his way out, with Milan being the likely destination (AC that is).

Maybe he can get his JLINGZ clothing line into the milanese fashion shops?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

It's 6s/8s we have zero of and Lingard is neither.

TBF United also don't have a lot of number 10s, but then again Lingard isn't really one of those either so

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Myssu posted:

What do you reckon his position is? He's not a wide player, usually, right?

I think his actual position was attacking midfielder (ie. number 10), I was more referring to him being in such an amazing slump in form that the only thing he can do is run a lot. Even the simplest passes are going wrong, let alone creating anything or coming close to scoring.

I feel a ton of sympathy towards him, because he seems like a nice person and has been going through a ton of personal difficulties.

trem_two posted:

I watched a lot of Man U over the holidays, you couldn't use him OP

A fresh start abroad could be just the thing for him. Before he hit this massive slump he was a useful player, even if he's never been the world's most technically gifted footballer.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

All well and good but we won't be able to field a loving 11 soon if we're getting rid and not signing SIGN SOME loving WARM BODIES

It's EXTREMELY worrisome that the tone at United has already shifted to "considering" and "looking at" players. The time for that is loving months past, United need players now and they'll need more in the summer.

If Woodward & co seriously think they can just take January off and sign a couple of players next summer to meaningfully progress the club they're loving out of their minds. This season has already shown that not only is the squad as a whole not as good as it should be (which is not news, or surprising), but it also doesn't begin to have the needed depth. Key players have to play with injuries and play way too often simply because there are no good alternatives to rotate with, so they get tired and injured even more.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Pogba will be like a new signing though so it all works out in the end doesn’t it?

As amazing as it may sound, this excuse has already been used officially.

(Unless :thejoke:)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

For me, so long as players like Rashford, Martial, Fred, Maguire, McTominay and the youth players coming through are playing for the manager he should be given time while Woodward unfucks the gently caress he's responsible for

100%. I'm still Ole in, but I still have absolutely zero faith in Woodward unfucking anything. He just isn't up to the job, and should be kicked out ASAP with an actual talented DoF installed immediately.

I'm not under any illusions about the scope of the challenge ahead of United, but Woodward's doddering antics will just make everything so much more complicated and painful. United trying to sign Young on for another year is just the lovely cherry on top of the sundae, and an indicator that it's still the same old poo poo: instead of properly rebuilding, Woodward is trying to hold on to players who should've been hosed off years ago.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jan 9, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Young saga has reached Arsenal levels of comic absurdity.

United discovered that Young has signed a pre-contract with Inter, and are now forced to keep making increased offers to a 35 year old they were willing to let run down his contract just a few weeks ago, like he was a key part of the team or something. To his credit Young has been turning them down, but apparently there have been "several" increased offers already.

Fire. Woodward. Now.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Shrapnig posted:

This makes no loving sense with Dalot, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, and Bailly all returning

Indeed. It made all the sense in the world to bin Young, but something's made United poo poo their pants over it very recently and now they're trying to beg a 35 year old to rip up his pre-contract with Inter and stay for ... reasons.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

He also looked moderately useful as a full winger in the couple of games he had in the position last season. I'm sure he'll still get games, once he gets over this injury.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently Sporting's chairman and another executive are in Manchester to negotiate Bruno Fernandes' transfer to United. A deal has been agreed in principle, and United are offloading two players in part exchange, one of whom is Rojo.

Currently the big hangup is that Sporting can't afford Rojo's wage demands. Sporting have confirmed to Portuguese media that the president of the club is "abroad on business".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sebzilla posted:

That can't possibly be true because it would be a good thing

Agreed, it'll all fall apart somehow.

Like at this point United should just pay 50% of Rojo's salary or something, who gives a gently caress. Get him out and bring in a player who would actually a) play and b) strengthen the team.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sassassin posted:

No Portuguese club can afford 50% of Rojo's salary, let alone want to pay it. United need to chip in 80% minimum.

Cool, that's still 20% saved and a useful player added to the squad. Do it Glazers, you cowards.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Xabi posted:

Impressing list but you forgot to mention Fergie’s hand-picked successor.

Moyes was never anyone's hand picked successor. He was the last minute panic appointment when the real hand-picked successor (Mourinho) fell through.

E: reports that United have offered Sporting £60m for Fernandes (to be paid in two installments) plus £10m in add-ons. BeIn Sports reporting that Sporting's directors are meeting with a "London-based club" (Spurs) to see if they're willing to offer more.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 11, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brony Car posted:

I don't remember this.

It wasn't widely talked about in the media obviously, because after the fact everyone wanted to pretend Moyes was the best and first option. A bunch of journos and insiders who were privy to those talks at the time have since come out to tell their stories, notably Duncan Castles who is in the Mourinho inner circle and is generally regarded as a reliable guy, albeit a bootlicker of the first order.

The way he tells it, Jose was Fergie's choice. This isn't surprising because the two had a "special" relationship (according to Mourinho) and Fergie was fairly obviously grooming him as his replacement for ages.

Castles claims that talks between Jose and United got to fairly advanced stages before Abrahamovic got wind of it, and not wanting to let Jose go to a PL rival, convinced him to come back to Chelsea for another go. For a variety of reasons (wanting to be close to his family in London, wanting to prove himself to his doubters by getting it right again at Chelsea etc) Jose said yes, and United were left scrambling.

I think Moyes himself has told the story of how he was shopping at a supermarket or something, when Fergie rang him up to offer him the job on the spot.

Who knows, it could of course be Duncan Castles and other journos just making poo poo up, but that's the story he's told in numerous interviews.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Portuguese websites reporting that Fernandes to United is done and will be officially bolded today or tomorrow. Here’s hoping!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bundy posted:

Hearing terms agreed with the player, just fee and whether anyone is going to go the other way to agree with Sporting.

Yep, a bunch of papers reporting the deal is expected to be finalised within the next few days. I swear to god if this falls apart because one of Woodward's billionaire bench warmers asks for too much money to go the other way in return I'm gonna take four shits and die.

E: oh hey speak of the devil

quote:

Sporting president Frederico Varandas asked for Marcos Rojo to be included in the deal for Bruno Fernandes, but his high wages (€5.2m per year) are an obstacle and one of the aspects of the deal that are yet to be defined

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jan 13, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Brony Car posted:

Is he good? I've never seen him play.

He's been insanely good in Portugal and for Sporting. He's created a ton of opportunities and scored some extremely good goals, but there's some concern over his ability to do it in a better league than the Portuguese one because he won't have as much time or space in, say, England.

It's definitely something of a risk, but United have scouted him extensively and seem to think he's got what it takes. Then again, they very publicly backed off signing him in August because they didn't think he had what it takes so who the hell knows.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

How many YouTube videos have you watched of him?

None. I've talked to friends in Portugal who watch the portuguese league.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Hey guys I just heard from United fan groups that the Fernandes deal is done!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

A bunch of papers both in England and Portugal reporting that United have agreed terms with Fernandes, but not with Sporting. They want 60m + 10m in addons, and apparently Woodward the business genius is trying to haggle them down to 60m.

Richest club in the world, ladies and gentlemen!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ed's gonna gently caress it all up.

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1217910264412151808

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Io_ posted:

January 30th: Bruno Fernandes signs for Manchested United for Euro 65 million + addons

That, or Sporting get tired of Ed’s bullshit and sell him to Bayern or somethig.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I honestly think the much talked about plan of "Bruno plays in the derby and then signs for United after" seems like lunacy. Whoops, someone kicked his leg to poo poo in the derby. Now what?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Wonderful.

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1218211443335626752

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah good time to start looking for alternatives, god forbid having a coherent transfer strategy with targets.

https://mobile.twitter.com/utdreport/status/1218489669169635329

E: and I'm not saying United aren't right in walking away if the price tag starts to get too high*, but ffs it's January 18th and you are now starting to think about looking for alternatives, like what the gently caress are you doing? How do you not have prioritised lists of pre-scouted targets ready to go for all positions? What the gently caress is United's supposedly huge scouting and data analysis network doing?

(* I'm not sure 80m€ is outrageous for a rated player ITYOOL 2020 especially when Sporting know United are pretty desperate, and also have to ask for a high price due to the way they financed Fernandes' transfer with loans etc, but who knows)

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Jan 18, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

trem_two posted:

Italian press seem pretty convinced that Inter will get a deal done for Eriksen this week.

Can't be, Woodward was confident United can wait until the summer and pick him up on a free, would business genius Ed Woodward be wrong?!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RIP the Fernandes deal.

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1219340588190982144

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

He's still in tomorrow's matchday squad for their game against Braga, and his picture is still on the banner of their official English language Twitter account so probably doesn't mean much. Apparently the current picture on the Portuguese account is advertising tomorrow's game only so wouldn't read too much into it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Manchester United: we won't pay 50m€ for Bruno Fernandes.

Also Manchester United:

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1219944597356531712

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I mean it's an extremely difficult situation. If they rate him very highly, it makes more sense to get him now for £30m than trying to get him for £70m in a year or two after he's established himself more. £30m for a 16 year old who has only played a handful of games seems extremely high, though.

At the same time, he probably won't be ready for the first team for a couple of years at the least and the £30m could be used to make today's squad a lot better.

E: plus of course the idea that United are haggling for a player who would improve the squad right now, versus just plunking down a fortune for a 16 year old seems a bit ... strange.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 22, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So now we've backtracked from "it's definitely on" to "maybe it'll be on?" to "ask me again next summer?"

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1220023308982325249

Simon Stone of the BBC reckons it ain't happening

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1220024978877427714

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jan 22, 2020

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sebzilla posted:

I've seen precisely nothing from Chong in his first-team appearances that makes me think he'll ever be any good.

He was extremely good in the U23s and other junior teams, but doesn't have the physique to be that effective in the Premier League yet. He could do well at Inter I reckon, at least in a year or two.

E:

rip

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1220031578614784000

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Duncan Castles saying it's either Juventus or Inter for Tahith Chong. Will it be three or four years before United are looking to buy him back for £80m?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The state of this club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Homura posted:

He's not wrong, I just have my doubts he's the right man to pick/attract 6 signings of the quality he's looking for

I have no doubt they won't.

In other news, a well thought out and coherent transfer strategy at work!

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1220429175900778496