Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

A few years ago I'd agree that Liverpool weren't a huge global club but now they are consistently doing well in the League and CL I don't see why players would go to Barca or Real tbh

Not having to live in the Northwest of England tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TAA is not a right back, the only reason he’s there is his pace and work rate, which bails him out of his many defensive frailties, and his incredible crossing ability from the right

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

EvilHawk posted:

He's a right back in Klopp's current system, which requires the full backs to get forward as much as possible rather than defend which is usually covered by the midfielders.

So pretty much what I said, he goes on the team sheet as “RB” but he isn’t a defender

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Is he bad? I can’t remember who’s blameworthy anymore.

He's an Arsenal center midfielder, they're all bad. Not to mention that he was so bad that Emery didn't think he was good enough for the current Arsenal midfield which is insanely bad.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

The 15/16 and 16/17 summers were disastrous for Arsenal and set them back years. They only signed Cech in 15/16 and then blew a ton of money on Xhaka, Lucas Perez, and Mustafi the next year.

Is Bellerin the longest tenured Arsenal player at this point?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

It's Emi Martinez, actually. Bellerin and Ozil are the next two.

Maitland-Niles has been at the club since 2003... when he was six

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gorn Myson posted:

Couldn't they just sign him on a pre-contract in January anyway?

Yep

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Liverpool's youth setup is dogshit, I wouldn't trust any player coming out of it.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

So does Lingard!

Strong disagree.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Brony Car posted:

It seems like the perils of being at a young player at a big club like United. If Lingard was still at Birmingham making decent - but not Manchester United - money, I wonder if he'd be looking a lot better, or at least more focused and with less social media hijinks. Would anyone be trying to get JLingz off the ground without that Manchester United cachet to try to tap?

Lingard is 27, he isn't a young player, it just seems like he is because he didn't become anything close to a regular at United until he was 23.

He had a very good World Cup, arguably better than he's ever played for United, and I feel like that may have gone to his head a bit. The clothing line thing is daft especially since he's Jesse loving Lingard not Cristiano Ronaldo. Nothing can really be said about his mother's health issues, you can't really wave that away. Of course it's going to be a distraction. I think he's fortunate in that he came through a very thin United squad and had a few good appearances in big matches that gave him some support amongst United supporters and staff but if his form stays like it is I don't see him being at United beyond this season.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tarbrush posted:

We have a few decent players. TAA is pretty good, Curtis Jones is good, KiJana Hoever is promising.

Apart from that though, yeah, bit crap

Ah yes, the latter two who I've definitely heard of.

Remember James Wilson at Manchester United who was touted as the next great English striker, scored twice on his debut, and is now playing for loving Aberdeen? Of course you don't. How about Saidy Janko, former United Reserve Player of the Year? "Good" and "promising" means gently caress all at the youth/reserve level.

Liverpool's strength the past several years has been in the transfer market. They're probably the best in the world at finding players who immediately slot into their system. Other than 15/16 where they signed Clyne, Ings, Benteke, and of course Steven Caulker on loan which was so bizarre. That season also got them Milner and Firmino however.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Big Huski Boi posted:

Who was the Italian kid with the exact same career trajectory?

Kiko Macheda, he's playing in Greece now for Panathinaikos and actually scoring goals.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Machedas defining career moment for Man Utd was scoring a blinder against Villa that basically sealed the title in 09.

He did nothing before or after

He actually scored in his second appearance too. Michael Carrick was nice enough to hit him with a shot that ended up going in.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Reports that Jesse Lingard is on his way out, with Milan being the likely destination (AC that is).

Maybe he can get his JLINGZ clothing line into the milanese fashion shops?

As poo poo as he's been for over a year, United's midfield is currently so thin that I can't really see this happening.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

UnderFreddy posted:

In reaction to this, OB has decided to sign American Hero Emmanuel Sabbi on a free (next summer)

Ah yes, I have definitely heard of this Italian born of Ghanaian heritage who I guess grew up in the US thus making him American.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

He can leave on a free in the summer, I don't know why Inter would want to pay any kind of fee for Young.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eau de MacGowan posted:

is ashley young the last of the fergie signings because otherwise that is some confusing news

De Gea
Jones
Smalling*

Zaha was the actual last player United signed under him.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

The Young saga has reached Arsenal levels of comic absurdity.

United discovered that Young has signed a pre-contract with Inter, and are now forced to keep making increased offers to a 35 year old they were willing to let run down his contract just a few weeks ago, like he was a key part of the team or something. To his credit Young has been turning them down, but apparently there have been "several" increased offers already.

Fire. Woodward. Now.

This makes no loving sense with Dalot, Tuanzebe, Fosu-Mensah, and Bailly all returning

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Is there a least memorable football player than Diego Dalot?

Pretty sure if you showed me a picture of a male in their mid 20s and told me that it was Dalot id probably believe you

Dalot is only 20 and was brought to United to essentially be what United have been using Young as for the last two seasons. He’s also been injured a bunch. I’m not sure where you’re going with this because he’s a child who has barely played, I’m not sure why he would be memorable at this point

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cenk Tosun has gone to Palace on loan where he’ll probably continue his form of not scoring goals in the Premier League

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Karl Sharks posted:

i'm fuzzy on the details, but was that the club/player that the man united people got tricked by some random dudes pretending to be club people/agents?

No that was Ander Herrera

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I’m not going to quote the list but I have takes.

Rojo was named in the Best XI at the 2014 World Cup and started in the final. He reminds me of Juan Sebastian Vernon in that they could be very good footballers just not in the Premier League. Granted Rojo has been miles worse than Seba.

Herrera is inexcusable from United, even more when you take into consideration that he barely plays for PSG

Alexis/Di Maria/Fred - what are you going to do. Fred seems to be settling but he doesn’t offer much more than disruption. He’s not a good passer, shooter, marginal defender, but he’s good at getting in the way at this point.

Schweini, who knows.

Lukaku is more than capable of playing in a counterattacking side, two of the best goals in the 2018 World Cup was a goal scored by Belgium on the counterattack in which Lukaku was integral. He’s a flat track bully but United are losing matches against those teams while they’re competitive with the big 6.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jose posted:

everton are tryign to sign everton

I’d prefer him to sign for Liverpool for the lols but signing for Everton is also pretty funny

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Hmmm

https://mobile.twitter.com/RickSpur

Ffs, protected tweet. Basically saying Gedson is in London about to sign for Spurs

You're aware that Bruno Fernandes and Gedson Fernandes are not the same player, yes?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

tarbrush posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51142447

Someone is paying cash money for Ashley Young in tyool 2020. I take back everything I have ever said about Ed Woodward.

:byewhore:

I can't belive United actually got money for him either.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Newcastle can’t buy a quality wing/fullback to save their life so this sounds about right

Well Newcastle need a left back now too

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Der Shovel posted:

Manchester United: we won't pay 50m€ for Bruno Fernandes.

Also Manchester United:

https://twitter.com/utdreport/status/1219944597356531712

For those who don’t have Google, he’s a 16 year old midfielder currently playing for Birmingham City

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

bewbies posted:

so was freddy adu

Freddy Adu was 14, idiot.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Freddy Adu is still only "30" and has played for 14 clubs in nine countries in his career.

Topical to this thread, he's currently a free agent.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bet he could do a job for Newcastle

You say this after the last player Newcastle signed from MLS, who was actually one of the best players in the league, did gently caress all for a full calendar year.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Maybe it's just me but if I were a 16-year-old footballer and I wanted to reach my maximum potential I wouldn't sign for today's Manchester United.

Hello 16 year old footballer, how would you like to earn £30k a week? He's probably on £1k a week or so now at Birmingham, maybe less.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Almiron: 5.5 Like Schar, Almiron looked tired. He still put in a shift, but looked off pace. Without his speed and energy he does not offer much, specifically seen with his decreased involvement in the 2nd half. (2)

Almiron: 5.5 My man couldn’t stay onside. He’s loved because of his energy and effort he puts forth every game. Still running full pace down the side in the 94th minute, but he’s got to work on his decision making. Some poor passing, overextended dribbling and a little too much hope for fouls will start to create some major fan unrest. (2)

Almiron: 6.5 Poor first half, he lost the ball every time he touched it and calls were not going his way. In the 2nd he was the best player on the pitch. He covered for Krafth, held up play, connected a few times with Joelinton, and had a good chance at goal. (6)

Almiron: 4.5 (-1) Double teamed when in possession and had to drop back deep to cover and get involved. Couldn’t connect his passes or dribble with pace when there’s a lack of positive support.

Almiron B- (2). Heavily involved and great energy, he did lose the ball a couple of times. There was confusion on his position as well as where his teammates should be. Picking up the yellow in the first half probably didn’t help much either.

**Explanation of rating system**

I determine my ratings using a plus/minus system grading each significant positive or negative action of a player around the ball. The points can range from -5 for an atrocious own goal to +5 for an unstoppable goal. Generally, the majority of actions are between -1 and 1 point.

Since my ratings are involved around the ball, ratings are sometimes harsher for goal keepers and subs.

The reason I use this system is to get a better understanding of an individual player’s overall benefit to the game. By only rating significant actions, I come up with a score that represents the players true net contribution to the match.

Scale:

-5 F 1
-4 D 2
-3 D 3
-2 C 4
-1 C 4.5
0 C+ 5
1 B- 5.5
2 B- 5.5
3 B 6
4 B 6
5 B+ 6.5
6 B+ 6.5
7 A- 7
8 A- 7.5
9 A 8
10 A 8.5
11 A 9
12+ A+ 10

This dude is without a doubt American.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Io_ posted:

The last expensive megahyped 16 year old was Martin Odegaard who is now 21 and playing for Real Sociedad after three years in the Eredivisie.

He's actually pretty good in La Liga. Maybe not Real Madrid good but he's a good professional footballer.

Let's be honest, Manchester United in 2020 are much closer to Real Sociedad than they are to Real Madrid.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sebzilla posted:

I've seen precisely nothing from Chong in his first-team appearances that makes me think he'll ever be any good.

I totally agree, he's been useless every time I've seen him, regardless of the opposition.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

sassassin posted:

Chong is good enough to dribble through blind alleys at u23s level but hasn't currently got anything in his game to be effective against actually-good players. We had ex-United Kenji Gorre at Swansea who was like that, absolutely lethal for the u23s, then every loan was a complete failure (after we gave him a big 3 year contract).

A star for the U23s who can’t get into the first team should be a huge loving NOT GOOD ENOUGH red flag

We’re not talking about the U16s or even U20s, the U23s are grown rear end men

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I had honestly forgotten that Dani Ceballos was on loan at Arsenal and was wondering why the Arsenal supporters were posting about him in this thread.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Eriksen to Inter is apparently happening for €20m

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Gigi Galli posted:

De Sciglio will win trophies with PSG; the man is the definition of falling up.

We call that Khedira-ing

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

CyberPingu posted:

Shaqiri-ing too

Goes to Bayern - wins a treble with them

Goes to Liverpool - wins CL in first season and is now probably going to win a league title as well as the Super Cup and CWC in his second season.

Shaq has won 16 trophies in his career lol. He’s 28 and spent 3 seasons at Stoke loving City

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I don’t give a gently caress about the Bruno Fernandes transfer “saga” at this point, I just want Der Shovel to stop loving posting about it