Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

My favourite Eagles song is "Love Take Me Down To The Streets."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/RealNatalieRowe/status/1213119730829217806

Twitter guessing it's Bernie Ecclestone but I've got my own theory which I sure as hell am not going to share until she names him, because he's got a shitload of lawyers.

She spells cum, as come.
Minus 50 DKP. For each use.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

(Puts on Judge Dredd helmet and leather speedos.)

I AM THE RAW!
IF YOU DON'T COMPLY, YOU WILL BE SENT TO THE ISO-CUBES.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

I think what made this case such a big deal was that the perpetrator was able to continue for so long and that people (even the survivors) didn't even know what was happening. Drugs that completely interfere with memory will always be in a strange place in a judicial system that relies heavily on testimony (and a human experience that relies heavily on memory), and I guess it was inadvertently very considerate of him to keep mobile videos and stolen photographic ID cards as trophies.

At the risk of sounding disrespectful towards the victims, to me they are the bigger part of this story than Sinaga's use of drugs.

I've read and listened to a lot of true crime podcasts and stories. And as part of my job, I have had a ton of experience with crime and the victims of crime.

What Sinaga did is very much straight out of the play book of all serial rapists. (In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if he read about them.)
The difference was his targets all seemed to be non sex worker men.
His approach (go to an isolated man. Offer assistance, bring him to back to his home.) These are all things that women have been warned to avoid all their lives. But men don't get that advice.
Even the described aftermath of the crimes are one that women would end up reporting/being suspicious of (since it's a huge fear for all women.)
With Sinaga, he picked a group that wouldn't recognize the signs of what had happened. (This is borne out by how many never knew they had been the victims of crime until they were told by the authorities.)

Even taking into account his use of G (which rapists have been using on women and men since the 90's and much earlier with other substances. ) had he been targeting women, I think he would have been detected much sooner.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Meanwhile over in Ireland, the Government has just announced that the commemoration planned for the Royal Irish Constabulary/Dublin Metropolitan Police service has been cancelled due to public backlash.

I think their problem with this was when people said "isn't this offensive?" Your response shouldn't be "Why are you being offended over this?"

Of course when asked "isn't this glorify the Black and Tans?" The Government's response shouldn't have been "We are not commemorating the Black and Tans. Just the RIC."

Which to explain, the Black and Tans was the nickname given to the RIC's Special Reserve squad.
It's the equivalent of saying "we aren't hosting a celebration to the Armed Response Unit. We are celebrating the Police Force."

Bad mismanagement of this incident by the Irish Government.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Most historians are saying that there needs to be some kind of engagement on the issue considering the RIC do represent a part of the Irish story that is often unexplored due to its murky grey tones but the government's proposal was a.bit of a mess.

The problem wasn't just that the government went with a major commemoration ceremony against the advice of experts. It's also that when people expressed displeasure with this The Government and Leo in particular looked down their noses at the responses.

This wasnt even a "we are sorry if you were upset" type apology. It was full on "how dare you refuse to join in on the celebrations!"

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Something that I learned in the BSS movie thread which is relevant to this discussion.

Supposedly Wheadon got Dollhouse greenlit by saying to Fox.
"Hey you know that show that people like call Terminator: The Sara Connor Chronicles?
I can do that but cheaper. I call it Dollhouse."

They also think he did that before hand but with
"Hey you know that show that people like call Dark Angel?
I can do that but cheaper. I call it Firefly."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is kind of a jokey survey but I genuinely think it illustrates a big problem with UK society. It’s like an entire country is in clinical depression. Someone asks if, in the best possible circumstances, you would want to go to the Moon, and huge swathes of the population say “nah, it’ll be poo poo, innit”.

No wonder we’re voting for the Tories and Brexit when people cannot even imagine things being good.

Honestly I think there is something very apt about that poll.

Those answers make perfect sense to me from a certain point of view.

We can talk about the Moon as being an alien landscape of unearthly beauty with a new viewpoint of our world.

But it's also true to say that it is a cold, airless, deadly place that could drive you to panic attacks nearly instantly. (Don't like diving underwater? It would be like that times a billion.)

You can see the Earth all at once and hain a new found sense of wisdom. Or maybe you que up for three hours to stare out through one of Virgin Moon Base 1's five windows.

And even the safety argument makes sense. It's the most deadly type of environment this side of being inside a Volcano. Unless they have given you a Green Lantern ring any promise of safety they give you will do sweet FA if something goes wrong.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

That's the bit that worries me.

We need binding fictions. Religion provided those but a bunch of them were poo poo and it's dying. Liberal democracy seems to be doing the same.

Maybe that's one reason why Marvel movies make billions of dollars every year?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

mehall posted:

Hey, they achieved full independence in 2024 in the trek timeline.

Unification sir. Data said that Ireland had achieved full Unification in 2024. When TNG was on the airwaves, Ireland had been an Independent Nation for some time.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pesky Splinter posted:

Missed out on being on the star wars pod, drat. Oh well, maybe another time.

Gonna assume its about the crazy racist gently caress reaction to the new trilogy, rather than the fun bonkers old EU stuff like Han Solo fighting a giant space otter, or robot Princess Leia assassinating a three-eyed (fake) son of the Emperor at their "Dark Imperial Wedding".

You mean Trikloyps? The Emperor's three eyed son who wanted peace, but at night designed all these Imperial Death machines while he dreamed?

That's some great poo poo.

Honestly I am hoping that the Star Wars talk is about the politics in the new film.
By which I mean how The Last Jedi is this bullshit Centrist fantasy.
I mean the film had some other major flaws (how the plot revolved around the worlds dumbest chase, that Finn had nothing to do in the film, that somebody felt a need to undercut a load of the questions/mysteries built up from Episode 7, that even after sufferinga major defeat the First Order took over the Galaxy after two weeks..) But it was the Centrist stuff that killed it for me.

"The First Order are bad. But the people who build the Resistance's fighters also build ships for the First Order. So have you considered that they are the same?"

"Fighting back against the First Order is stupid. Yes you take daring risks and score what should be decisive victories. But the script writers just say that they have another bigger ship.
The only way to beat the First Order is to hide, wait for more supporters to show up and only fight your enemy when you have a numerical advantage. "

"The Jedi order fought the Sith for thousands of years and maintained peace. But because they lost that one time, we are better off burning their texts and having no Jedi Order. I'm sure the Sith will get bored and go home."

Christ that movie was so annoying.

In other UK news Northern Ireland has (symbolically) told Borris today a bag of dicks.

https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1219295023541432320?s=19

I'm sure in Rian Johnson world they should only have done so if they got a majority of UK MPs to support them but it's still a good gesture.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

When you say three eyes you mean like the actual aliens with three eyes or just a human with an extra eye?

Mutant human with a third eye at the back of his head.

The Empire was human centric with ingrained racism. Like the Tory Party.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Interesting post about Star Wars.

You raise an interesting point.

The thing is in Star Wars, you dont get Force Powers by being Special. You are special because you have Force Powers.

And I know that sounds like meaningless semantics but it's not.
Using the Force is not something everyone can do. And that's a feature of genre fiction.

But unlike in some ( like UK Mega Thread favourite Harry Potter where using magic is explicitly tied to you having the right bloodlines so it matters whom your ancestors were.) Having Force potential arises all over the Galaxy.
Weather you are born into a noble house or born into indentured servitude.

The Star Wars films focused on one particular Jedi and his kids, but they always made it clear there had been thousands of other Jedi from various other backgrounds. And the Expanded Universe focused on plenty of other characters from other backgrounds, both Force users and non Force Users.

The big thing that I got from the new trilogy was how overjoyed my wife and daughter were at watching a film have a female Jedi in training front and centre and seeing representation done that way. Sure I could have pointed them to a bunch of old EU novels with female Jedi in them, but seeing the new films made them happy.
(Though my wife hated the Last Jedi as well. She did not like how most of Rei's plot from the 7th film got walked back.)

The message from Star Wars has always been "evil monolithic Empires have to get wrecked by diverse groups of heroes."
Not "this evil Empire and your Resistance are fundamentally the same. You should wait for the next election and fight back when you are able to rally all the people on your side who totally exist but are just in hiding."

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Loving all the twitter comments about how everyone who's convicted of a terrorism is both 100% guilty and 100% irredeemable and so there's no point doing lie detectors anyway just lock them up forever.

You'd have thought that Blair's dumbfuck antiterror laws would have caught up a suitably sympathetic (read white and probably a blonde woman) 'terrorist' by now to have a good counterexample in popular culture but it seems to be all Bangladeshi politics students and kids on the autism spectrum.

The British Judicial system did a very good job railroading innocent Irish people into being considered as Terrorists in the 70's and 80's.

Should the new Boarder stuff go badly I would say those Blair laws may end up doing the same in the near future.

As for Polygraphs they are super bullshit. I've lost track of the number of clients who have offered to do them and how I have had explain how it is all nonsense.
And even if the science was sound (and it's not) you get no benefit from it. If you pass those tests the results are either not kept or stuck in some distant file never to be brought up.
If you fail then they will keep pointing back to that test in a *nudge nudge. He's guilty* without ever explicitly saying it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Pilchenstein posted:

"You can only be a jedi if you have special blood" is literally stated outright in the films. Also, the expanded universe was entirely dogshit but doesn't count anymore anyway.

If you are talking about midichlorians, you don't get Force Powers because you have them in your blood. It's the other way around.
If you can use the Force real good, they show up to start feasting on your blood. You have Force Powers, so you end up attracting them.

quote:

Such as? "All of the previous writing in Star Wars led me to believe that Rey's parents must be important characters that we were already familiar with" isn't actually the plot of Force Awakens :v:

A large part of the Force Awakens is Rei having visions of her parents leaving, how she built this crappy life surviving and waiting for them to come back. And the end of the film is her coming to the realization that they won't come back to her and she has to go looking for them.
That's a lot of plot built around characters that are never seen full frame. From a film making point, you don't do something like that if you aren't intending to come back and pay that off with a reveal about her parents.

It doesn't have to necessarily be "your parents are these super important people", they can be average people if you have them show up again and impart some vital message or lesson for Rei to learn.

But to have the bad guy turn around and say "your parents were drunk losers who died. I know, I looked up the Imperial registrary of drunk losers and found them." almost comes across as bad comedy, not to mention bad story telling.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So my phone story.
Almost three years ago I recieved a bunch of cash from a number of cases I had done, and like a mook I blew it on a new phone instead of saving it.

But rather than sign up to a two year plan (and I needed a good plan as I made lots of phone calls as part of work so needed minutes.) I signed up to a really good, reliable Sim only plan.

Then I bought my phone Sim Free online. I wanted a Samsung, since I'm a tech sheeple but I love their phones.

Anyway my trick was rather than buy the phone Sim Free from Samsung or Vodafone I bought it from Amazon.
But not just any Amazon, I bought it from Amazon Italy.
It was a pain going through the translations on their website over and over but I found one for €250 less than what the main stores were selling.
The only drawbacks were I had to make sure it was an Unlocked version of the phone. And the plug for the charger had the European pins on it not the Irish/UK ones.

But after fixing them and changing the default language to English, the phone has worked well for almost three years now.

If you are looking for a phone consider Importing it from another EU country while you still can.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

forkboy84 posted:

I was trying to find Michael's new campaign song on Youtube and instead have come across videos of Danny ranting about how drink-driving laws are an attack on rural life & 'Nobody caused a fatality by having three glasses of Guinness drank'

Jesus. Not sure the people of Kerry should be allowed the vote tbqh

Can we count the people of Tipperary for their constant re-election of Michael Lowry?

A man who was found guilty of tax fraud and spun it as "the only crime I was guilty of was paying too much tax."

And definitely not a cynical move on his part to spare him a more serious charge.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/michael-lowry-tax-filings-saved-him-from-more-serious-charges-1.3550325

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I assume it's something to do with the thread in gbs

So obviously I dont have the full background to Lowtax's family dispute.

But in my experience as a lawyer, two points come to mind.

1) Family Law disputes are very often super bitter and emotionally charged. Even more so than murder cases.
Every single minor thing from the past can get dragged up and almost nothing is agreed. Even the lawyers can be swept into it and mirror their clients emotions.
The best description I heard for it is "In criminal cases you have the worst people on their best behaviour. In family law you have the best people on their worst behaviour. "

2) That being said the best lawyers are able to remain even tempered and come across as logical. Lowtax's approach of "I will listen to my lawyer and say nothing" is the best way of handling things.
His wife's decision to (supposedly) make a number of allegations on a GoFundMe Page is almost certainly against any legal advice and is not a good way of handling things.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

What I like about that article is how the man who won the settlement said he couldn't disclose terms of the settlement including how much that the cheques were for.

And then the Bank people tell the media how much the cheques were for.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

So occasionally I am asked to do Police Property Applications.

They are this quasi civil/criminal legal action where a client brings a civil action against the guards asking to get stuff that was seized from them back.

9/10 the case is spurious or the guards shut down the proceedings by saying "it's a piece of evidence in an ongoing investigation. "

Some of the time you win and the people get their stuff back. (One time I got my client his car back. Since he was in prison for a different offence it did him little good.)

However one of my cases involved property including a Rolex Watch.

That's when I learnt that Rolex Watches are like cars in that they are supposed to come with a log book.
So you can prove who the previous owners and current owner is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That "Where are you taking this... thing?" line from the guard on the Death Star is pretty telling too. TBH it's not really even that subtle, the Empire are Space Nazis right down to the uniforms and wonder-weapons.

It's more specifically pointed out in the final battle in Return Of The Jedi, where the Rebels are explicitly shown to be a multi-species alliance with the battle commanded by a non-human, and of course the Viet Cong Furry Division are the ones wot won it.

(Apologies if this is all pointed out in the pod, I've not had a chance to listen to it yet)

Part of the Specisim/Racisim of the Empire (at least in the first film) can (in the real world) be put down to budget constraints. (They had one pair of boots for Grand Moff Tarken, but they didn't fit Peter Cushing. So he shot all his scenes wearing slippers. That's why he's never shown with his boots being visible. )

The film wanted to be set in a distant galaxy and have all these fantastic aliens in it. And you get that on Taotinee.
But didn't have enough budget to put aliens in Imperial Uniforms or Rebel ones. (The Rebel Alliance in IV is almost all white men. Hell almost all the ones present in the awards ceremony are just a background painting.)

At the same time, Lucas had the broad strokes of the Universes back story laid out in his head. And it was always clear that the Empire were space Nazi's.
So if you are making them space Nazi's, it's likely that they will be racist/specist as well.

It's only in Empire and RoTJ that the budget improves to allow there being aliens in this galaxy wide rebel alliance.
(Fun fact they shot scenes of female pilots taking part in the second attack on the Death Star. They all got cut, then re-used in The Force Awakens for the attack on Star Killer Base.)

In the Star Wars Universe, as far as the Empire is concerned aliens are bounty hunters or unique exceptions like Grand Admiral Thrawn.
The aliens who wear Imperial uniforms are most likely Imperial Inquisitiors and those are "you have force powers and are evil. We can't call you Sith, but you get a second class evil force user badge."

Basically the Empire sucks, Rebels 4 Life. And the droid slavery thing is real, but no one seems to do anything about it.

Also most of the early background stuff for Star Wars (including the Emperor going from the Emperor to being named Emperor Palpatine.) All came from the Star Wars RPG done by West End Games.
So in a sense the Star Wars universe was expanded by being the work of multiple people and not a single auteur.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 27, 2020