Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's 8 pm. hangovers are now allowed to continue until 8pm. that's illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

josh04 posted:

You've never had the fabled two-day hangover? It's hateful.

so glad i turned 30, extremely wise choice for me

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

ThomasPaine posted:

I do hope that Corbyn endorses a successor, if only to identify a clear continuity candidate and avoid exploitable left-vote splitting

it's preferential voting so splitting isn't as critical and tbh i'm not sure it's not a kiss of death for the general rn :/

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
kinda wanna gently caress around and go to uni. if I apply for Scotland I can't do a foundation year, is that right? this stuff is very confusing and I don't know if it's worth trying and its anxiety provoking :(

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CyberPingu posted:

I did an access year at the start of my Uni degree if thats what you mean. That was at Napier

do you have to go to school for five years then, though? financing will only cover four...

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I haven't been to school in this country. I dropped out in Canada like, gently caress, 14 years ago and would like to return as a mature student and get my undergrad.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

CyberPingu posted:

How long have you been living in Scotland?

I'm not actually, I live in England (and have been for 14 years and am a citizen). I just need to move somewhere at least as cold as where I am now lol.

I'm aware it would have to be financed, c'est la vie.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Been a bit since I looked but I know Strathclyde & Aberdeen did straight up foundation years. Your other option is doing a SWAP course for a year (Scottish Wider Access Programme) at a college & then going to uni. Plus I know that Glasgow Uni & Edinburgh Uni both had their own Access courses aimed at mature students wanting to get into those unis. Theoretically they could be used for a different uni but you'd need to speak to admissions departments etc, they are designed to get you into that university.

so do I like, call them? my branch secretary has offered to do a reference if o need it so I have that going for me.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
and yeah a lot of the websites I read said that mature students are pretty widely welcomed. I've not go zero qualifications although near to - I'm an accredited rep and I have an nvq level 3 in business admin so, something in this country.

how long are personal statements supposed to be?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Coohoolin posted:

Depends on the uni but if you apply through UCAS it's a standard length, won't be more than a page. If I can find my PS from a couple years ago i can send it to you, i was applying to RCS as a mature student and it got me through to the auditions.

Yeah that would be cool if it's not too much bother, DM me on discord

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Jose posted:

ngl i really want to experience an earthquake about a 7 on the Richter scale

i am going to be starting work on monday friends. its not the job i want but it pays alright and hopefully the one i interviewed for on tuesday will offer me the role and i can quit after 2 weeks of getting paid

gl bud

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
feeling pretty 4 today ngl

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

marktheando posted:

How the gently caress do you get a suicide vest in prison lmao

i had that same reaction - they're fake

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
why on earth would mr remain help regain the heartlands. he’ll be tarred with that brush forever

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I am - wildly uncharacteristicly - with Tijuana on this one. I'll travel, a bit, particularly if I have to for work or similar, but I hate it. I think I've moved to a new place about as often as I've traveled somewhere new for pleasure.

who the gently caress enjoys airports

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the experience of actual travel - airports, train stations, planes, trains and most of all busses - is adequately lovely it puts me off the magic of seeing things, is my point.

road trips I kind of enjoy but then I don't drive, so it doesn't come up much.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Private Speech posted:

Ever tried driving across Europe, like say to Greece or something? Because I guarantee you it gets pretty poo poo once you get past 36 hours or so. Endless motels are far worse than the comparatively minor annoyance of airports. Which honestly aren't too bad as long as you don't buy too much crap there.

no, my experience is Canada and quite a bit farther than that, but we'd usually stay with family or sleep on ferry or similar. I was a kid at the time tbf

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

StarkingBarfish posted:

Cybermaoist technotopia for me pls. Also Jessflaps wants to be glue but is actually nitrous

a brief and shallow experience that induces a sense of limitless potential that lasts for about three minutes until you realize what's going on. yeah, fair cop.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
ayyyyy got accepted to one of the universities I applied for. I'd still prefer Scotland (still waiting on the other ones) but I would totally be willing to settle for Newcastle.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Red Oktober posted:

Congratulations - if Newcastle is your fallback you’re doing pretty loving well! Fingers crossed for the rest!

Northumbria actually - I meant the town, sorry.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

I just remembered that I need to think about whether or not my new phone has a headphone jack. Truly we live in the stupidest loving age.

I do not want to have to buy expensive new earbuds. Sake.

For real tho, this is what made me leave apple.

For my money optimize battery life - processor and memory and such is important but a bigass battery is a real QoL improvement. I got a Moto G7 Power on black Friday sale for 99 quid and I'm quite happy with it, even though I broke the loving screen within a month of getting it.

Jose posted:

Going to hurl poo poo at you irl so I can be a true shitposter

still better than carlisle

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
a desire for a nationality swapped american figure is what got us chuka umunna. we don't need a farce to their tragedy.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Spangly A posted:

pidcock was better than aoc and it didnt really help us

I wouldn't count Pidcock out, but I was with RLB when this came up however long ago - she genuinely is really loving good at speeches, policy and coming across as a human being. She's suffering from Millibanditus right now, letting herself be managed away from genuine. It's frustrating.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

What will you name your cat? :ohdear:

I can tell you've made this up because it's not ridiculous enough.

yeah star wars names have a weird and particular feel to them, like Dexter Jettster, BJ Dart or Guto Bebb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I'm always extremely happy and kind, in the abstract. I suppose earbuds help.

I find people largely react to it positively, but then I feed on misery.