Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Scoops My Goops posted:

Okay but that's because your forums have been on fire for weeks. I am very much a poster here, I don't watch gaming streams and I was absolutely there last night not under this name to let you know everything here was engulfed in flames.
Yeah and I remember asking you how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

smarxist posted:

lol if you had a couple hundred bucks you could probably get this site seized by the FBI w/r/t to the photos it serves up next to people's thousands of posts and how long it takes to fix

cop

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

smarxist posted:

because the solution to that problem isn't "god i hope nobody thinks of this very basic thing"

Literally why the hell would you talk about this in a thread that you know is being watched by bad actors? Do you just want to punish Lowtax in a passive aggressive way?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Lowtax posted:

Because I have never had that many viewers on my channel, and I have posted links to it here before.
Yeah but like people were pissed on SA and some of them were pissed they had their slurs taken away so people who otherwise wouldn't click through to your stream maybe did to be weird obsessives at you while you're in an emotionally vulnerable state and don't have the context needed to tell them to gently caress off.

Again, I don't have proof that this happened, I definitely can't point to specific users here and go 'they were loving with you', I'm not suggesting there's anything you can really do about this possibility right now. But SA is a big forum and not all the bigots are stupid enough to be obvious about it, so you might have been getting steered towards banning trans posters without your knowledge.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Choose mods and admins based on sortition imo, anyone interested goes in a list and every 6 months the current mods get rotated out for other people on the list

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Literally why the hell would you talk about this in a thread that you know is being watched by bad actors? Do you just want to punish Lowtax in a passive aggressive way?

smarxist posted:

because the solution to that problem isn't "god i hope nobody thinks of this very basic thing"

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm pretty sure I did, at some point. I'm still not sure what personal attacks he's referring to from the trans issues thread. The worst I've seen is people telling him to gently caress off or to grow up after our immediate feedback was ignored.

I think he's referring to the personal insults in the C-SPAM truth and reconciliation thread, where in addition to being called "violently transphobic" he was also accused of being a Fentanyl addict.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Bob Socko posted:

You banned Snoo because dummies on YouTube told you to.

She draws mice and is gay. That’s it, that’s the extent of her “sins”.

I mean, what the gently caress?
Nobody told me to ban anybody. I wasn't even reading the chat actively at that point. I was just banning people who were posting either direct insults, or trying to take words I said out of context (like I predicted in the stream) to make me look like a transphobe.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

SKULL.GIF posted:

I don't want you or other trans posters to feel hurt, but I don't think what you're asking for (to not get hurt) is actually possible within the capability of these forums. Anyone can sign up for these forums, and bans/probations are inherently reactive, not proactive. Shitheads are going to get through the cracks particularly if they see vulnerable targets, and short of ensconcing subforums into airtight bubbles I don't think there's any realistic way to prevent that.

I don't want to comb through all of these accounts again but as far as I recall most of the people who got bans + 30s were being shitheads after the situation had already exploded in QCS, not being openly bigoted or harassing. You likely disagree with me on this issue because of the specific situation but I don't think hostility is a permaban-worthy offense. If they come back and they're shitheads again they should get banned again. If they keep on repeating then sure go ahead and permaban them.

This takes sucks. The bans+30s were almost exclusively people dogwhistling transphobia or outright blasting transphobia on full blast. That's not hostility, that's bigotry. It's a lot of the stuff you'll see bought for trans posters' custom AVs from transphobes, like calling us mentally ill or misgendering us deliberately, digging through post history to find depressed posts from before we transitioned, or that weird barney thing tashi got. It was all like that.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Lowtax posted:

Yeah and I remember asking you how.

Ok?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm starting to lean towards this thread being closed while Lowtax talks to the mod team and reads QCS. Re-arguing the trans thread blunders might be useful in the future but right now it feels like it is getting in the way of things and is just a way for Lowtax to get distracted.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I think he's referring to the personal insults in the C-SPAM truth and reconciliation thread, where in addition to being called "violently transphobic" he was also accused of being a Fentanyl addict.

Someone accused him of being a drunkard too. I don't know why the standard of harassment is always different for Lowtax, like he's not a person.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

really queer Christmas posted:

Gonna go ahead and say I thought the "barney is a slur" thing was a bit of an overdramatic statement from posters but uh, wow that av. Jesus Christ.

anybody who has paid any attention to the “ok” sign meme on the right should not be surprised in the slightest.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

CascadeBeta posted:

This takes sucks. The bans+30s were almost exclusively people dogwhistling transphobia or outright blasting transphobia on full blast. That's not hostility, that's bigotry. It's a lot of the stuff you'll see bought for trans posters' custom AVs from transphobes, like calling us mentally ill or misgendering us deliberately, digging through post history to find depressed posts from before we transitioned, or that weird barney thing tashi got. It was all like that.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lowtax posted:

Nobody told me to ban anybody. I wasn't even reading the chat actively at that point. I was just banning people who were posting either direct insults, or trying to take words I said out of context (like I predicted in the stream) to make me look like a transphobe.

That picture you banned snoo for included proper context of you only talking about the trans people from one particular thread. "Hoo boy this is a bad loving look" is not the same thing as "violently transphobic."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
In fact there's this super weird celebrity-culture phenomenon about mods, IKs, and admins, where they're held to this bizarre superhuman standard because there's a thirst to watch them break down and fail.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm starting to lean towards this thread being closed while Lowtax talks to the mod team and reads QCS. Re-arguing the trans thread blunders might be useful in the future but right now it feels like it is getting in the way of things and is just a way for Lowtax to get distracted.

If Lowtax wants to close the thread, he has the ability.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

CharlestheHammer posted:

yeah like just delegate to people the forum has some trust in, you have your own poo poo that is keeping you busy we understand that. but right now the task is going to need a lot of effort to fix and having someone more plugged in would help

I gotta agree, the first priority probably needs to be getting some admins who the community approves of or at least doesn't object to outright so they can attend to the queue.

There are literal software / mechanical "the forums work like this" barriers to dynamic moderation that can't be easily removed and serve a purpose, but those barriers were put up years ago when you had way more active admins. It breaks down when there aren't enough admins in enough timezones to mash all the buttons that need mashed.

It sucks and needs addressed. It's not your fault exactly but you are the only one with the power to fix this part of things.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yes with be caveat maybe a couple of the more reasonable normal posters be involved in said discussion because the admin team is the sole reason this mess is this bad to begin with, and I suspect "we had no idea!" would be a defense

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
maybe just empowering someone from the trans thread to that weird super mod thing would do a lot here. Give them the power to be proactive

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CharlestheHammer posted:

maybe just empowering someone from the trans thread to that weird super mod thing would do a lot here. Give them the power to be proactive

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

anybody who has paid any attention to the “ok” sign meme on the right should not be surprised in the slightest.

Yeah, if the explanation of why something like full metal Barney is funny is "it's fyad culture you wouldn't get it" you're safe in assuming it's just slurs.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paramemetic posted:

I gotta agree, the first priority probably needs to be getting some admins who the community approves of or at least doesn't object to outright so they can attend to the queue.

I'm saying no one will ultimately ever meet this standard because there's a desire to tear down anyone who ends up in a power position on this site.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm starting to lean towards this thread being closed while Lowtax talks to the mod team and reads QCS.

agreedo

you can hold lowtax to task for things he's posted but doing it in the thread that should be about figuring out how to better the forum when he's the sole person with the power to fix anything just means the forum keeps burning

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Lightning Knight posted:

It's r/frenworld all over again.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gumball Gumption posted:

The chat will pop up in a new thread, which is why I suggested putting the entire gotdamn forums on ice for a day or so.

Like don't get me wrong, I will miss it, but eventually Lowtax is gonna have to stop posting in this thread to day and tempers are going to flare somewhere again.

Lowtax, shutdown the forums for a bit while you figure poo poo out, and to also remind us why we all care about, love, and even need these stupid dead gay forums.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Minrad posted:

agreedo

you can hold lowtax to task for things he's posted but doing it in the thread that should be about figuring out how to better the forum when he's the sole person with the power to fix anything just means the forum keeps burning

They're one in the same. There's a reason why the forums are burning and it's not because we opened our mouths.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Pick posted:

I'm saying no one will ultimately ever meet this standard because there's a desire to tear down anyone who ends up in a power position on this site.

it happened to FAU, it happened to r guyovich, and I guess you could say it happened to smythe. it's happening in this thread. the fact that it keeps happening when there's nobody left to pick up the pieces means it's just going to make things worse and maybe lead to the site shutting down, not helping anyone.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Maybe that this forum goes through incredibly obvious cycles is more indicative of a sensibility in its culture than anything specific to any one person or issue.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pick posted:

Someone accused him of being a drunkard too. I don't know why the standard of harassment is always different for Lowtax, like he's not a person.

I think Lowtax made a joke about being wasted in the stream last night and everyone just assumed he was being serious. I think the people who thought Lowtax was drunk just misunderstood things. The people bringing up fentanyl on the other hand were definitely poo poo stirring.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Pick posted:

Then you go with an admin who will rigorously advocate for the most marginalized and vulnerable posters and ignore objections from bigots.

There are people on the mod team right now who would make good admins, but who knows if they're willing to accept that, it's a thankless position tbqh

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm pretty sure I did, at some point. I'm still not sure what personal attacks he's referring to from the trans issues thread. The worst I've seen is people telling him to gently caress off or to grow up after our immediate feedback was ignored.

There were a lot of people on the youtube chat repeatedly poking at lowtax about his personal situation, it's not a defense at all but if you take a look, it can explain some of all this.

Glad people are being heard and right steps being taken.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Minrad posted:

it happened to FAU, it happened to r guyovich, and I guess you could say it happened to smythe. it's happening in this thread. the fact that it keeps happening when there's nobody left to pick up the pieces means it's just going to make things worse and maybe lead to the site shutting down, not helping anyone.

I thought R Guyo was a dumbass before he was an admin, thank you. :colbert:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think people assumed Lowtax was drunk because self destructive actions on new year's eve is the domain of the drunk person.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean I thought he was drunk but it was New Years and I didn’t mean as like an insult

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Paramemetic posted:

Then you go with an admin who will rigorously advocate for the most marginalized and vulnerable posters and ignore objections from bigots.

FAU, who I liked very much, did this and he still had a breakdown.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Minrad posted:

I don't think you need to defend genocide explainer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Lowtax posted:

I was banning people who were intentionally misrepresenting the things I said, and cherrypicking quotes to make me appear transphobic. I made it clear I was speaking about ONE SINGLE GROUP OF PEOPLE. I should be able to criticize one group of people without that being twisted into suddenly I'm a transphobe.

You still dont deny that you said that stuff. I think that's the nub of why people are pissed at you about that stuff specifically. It doesnt matter that it was only a small fraction of what you said, and that some ne'er-do-wells cherrypicked it to make you look bad. The fact that you said that stuff--that you felt ok saying that stuff--is the problem. Despite your claims to being an ally, you were ok with making jokes about a marginalized community, just last night. And posters itt and elsewhere have told you that those kinds of jokes are considered offensive. Are you an ally who listens to marginalized voices, or do you think everyone should loosen up and not get their feelings hurt? You cant have it both ways. You hosed yourself the moment those words came out of your mouth.