Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

CascadeBeta posted:

Dude there were multiple threads for mocking transgender people in FYAD. This ain't it, chief.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

That doesn't mean there weren't FYAD posters in there defending that poo poo though. Hell now-former mod Pog Boyfriend spent two threads kicking their shoes in the dirt going "Golly gee these posts and thread are bad but I don't want my clubhouse and friends punished for making them.".

Not to mention, you know, all the threads in FYAD before and after the rebirth.
I never said there wasn't garbage there, but the way some people post it seems like they think FYAD is the sole source/representative of this poo poo. Like, it makes it seem like people are more interested in removing FYAD than thinking about structural issues on SA that allows poo poo like that to fester - because the fact that the majority of transphobic (or bigoted in general) posters are outside FYAD kinda means removing it doesn't solve the issue, even if every FYAD poster left. Finding a solution that solves the "FYAD problem" while keeping FYAD around would probably be a good thing, in terms of finding a viable solution to dealing with insular bigoted communities who will almost inevitably spring up on the forums, in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Also while we've got admins here can we get some placeholder avs for Teal and Tashilicious that aren't insanely offensive

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

r u ready to WALK posted:

Custom avatars should really have an easy way to reveal who bought them, both for public shaming purposes and to encourage retaliation.

Huh I could have sworn that at some point years ago I saw Ozma post that she looked up who purchased a particularly bad avatar, but I guess it's no longer possible?

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was approached by at least two mods to change it, and I've been told it's going through/in queue/something???

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

What you just described.

Gonna go ahead and say I thought the "barney is a slur" thing was a bit of an overdramatic statement from posters but uh, wow that av. Jesus Christ.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Multiple IK/mods have tried to queue up new avs but they need admin approval

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

really queer Christmas posted:

Gonna go ahead and say I thought the "barney is a slur" thing was a bit of an overdramatic statement from posters but uh, wow that av. Jesus Christ.

Yeah, it's really this bad.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Lowtax posted:

They were all offsite idiots.

Um what makes you so sure of this

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Useful Distraction posted:

Huh I could have sworn that at some point years ago I saw Ozma post that she looked up who purchased a particularly bad avatar, but I guess it's no longer possible?

I recall that incident, and Ozma did intend to look it up, but then found out that that wasn't possible.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DreamingofRoses posted:

Hey, your posts seem to be getting angrier which is understandable but counterproductive. A step back might be in order, and you might want to seriously consider elevating the mods that the affected posters have a lot of faith in, like LightningKnight.

Honestly this might be the best option. Put this discussion on ice, go through the details on this entire loving mess with other people, then make a call.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Fucker posted:

That is an absurd notion

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FYI this is one of the people that was banned in QCS for defending ironic bigotry. This is why the "bare minimum" isn't enough.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

WampaLord posted:

Multiple IK/mods have tried to queue up new avs but they need admin approval

Wait, so I can pay :tenbux: to give someone the worst stuff I can imagine but for an IK or mod to fix that it needs approval? This system sounds worse and worse everytime someone reveals a bit of it.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gumball Gumption posted:

This system sounds worse and worse everytime someone reveals a bit of it.

sa.docx

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Also, legit question - I don't doubt that some/most of the idiot brigade swinging in to youtube were offsite people or already banned, but how do you know that all of them were? You're not psychic, you can't directly link lovely SA poster technically towing the line 420 to insane rear end in a top hat acting nice enough to egg you on to ban people they dislike for bigoted reasons on youtube, but I also feel like you gotta acknowledge not all the people there acting in bad faith were going to swing in with the 14 words and terf propaganda screeds, especially if they might be self-aware enough to squeak by on SA.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

CascadeBeta posted:

Ah. "Those people" then? How dare "those people" get so uppity because they didn't accept your grand compromise with the bigot forum, right?
Did I ban those people? Did I punish any of them in any way? I simply left, because the discourse was going nowhere with the personal attacks. Yall are claiming I'm a fragile snowflake and I have thin skin, but I didn't ban anybody in there (except for a certain person), I just stopped reading it because it had become clear that there was no possibility I could post anything without it being used against me. When people talked, I listened. I demodded those two FYAD mods. But as somebody who has apparently suffered personal attacks (which I did not know about until this thread), I'm sure you might be able to understand why I did not continue to be involved there.

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
the av is still there

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wait, so I can pay :tenbux: to give someone the worst stuff I can imagine but for an IK or mod to fix that it needs approval? This system sounds worse and worse everytime someone reveals a bit of it.

lol if you had a couple hundred bucks you could probably get this site seized by the FBI w/r/t to the photos it serves up next to people's thousands of posts and how long it takes to fix

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's not great.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey Lowtax, I just wanted to pop in and say thank you for reversing the bans, and maybe suggest that since there's a huge backlog of issues and stuff to read, then maybe shutting down the forums entirely for a day or whatever while you review what happened and discuss with the admins, mods and IKs might be a good idea, because poo poo has been stirring for awhile and there's gonna be a gently caress ton of angry and upset posts in the meantime.

Might I also suggest that you read the CSPAM reconciliation thread, front-to-back, to get an idea of why CSPAM and the trans posters are especially angry.

Thank you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

smarxist posted:

lol if you had a couple hundred bucks you could probably get this site seized by the FBI w/r/t to the photos it serves up next to people's thousands of posts and how long it takes to fix

Um why would you say this

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Scoops My Goops posted:

Um what makes you so sure of this
Because I have never had that many viewers on my channel, and I have posted links to it here before.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

I don’t think there’s been a full system upgrade to the forum software since the 00’s to be honest, a lot of it is piecemeal. It’s one of the reasons a lot of things take a longer time than they should.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib

Lowtax posted:

Yall are claiming I'm a fragile snowflake and I have thin skin

I don't think anyone has claimed this at all tho, are we even reading the same thread?

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Lowtax posted:

I was banning people who were intentionally misrepresenting the things I said, and cherrypicking quotes to make me appear transphobic.

That article you posted was, in fact, extremely transphobic and even if it was 16 years ago your comments last night indicated that you have absolutely no regrets about what you said even as the forums are going through another transphobia crisis so that might be why you are getting such flak

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
yeah like just delegate to people the forum has some trust in, you have your own poo poo that is keeping you busy we understand that. but right now the task is going to need a lot of effort to fix and having someone more plugged in would help

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Pick posted:

Yeah, Jesus Christ. Why give anyone that idea?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

I mean it's not a slur it's just what FYAD and now KF are were using to constantly post about one specific poster in a not weird way.

That plus the hot new avatars someone is slinging around is just normal posting.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's basically

quote:

"barney isn't a slur! barney isn't a slur!!", I continue to insist as barney becomes a slur on FYAD and KF

Even the best and most generous take is that an attempt at making fun of an avatar goes wrong, and the avatar just happens to belong to an outspoken transperson who was very active in QCS against FYAD.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lowtax, please, stop trying to justify yourself and get to actually understanding the issue instead. You may be right or wrong, but you are not accomplishing anything by saying the same thing over and over again and getting distracted by details when you don't have a firm enough grasp on the situation overall.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pick posted:

because the solution to that problem isn't "god i hope nobody thinks of this very basic thing"

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Lowtax posted:

Because I have never had that many viewers on my channel, and I have posted links to it here before.

lol

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Lowtax posted:

Okay but that's because your forums have been on fire for weeks. I am very much a poster here, I don't watch gaming streams and I was absolutely there last night not under this name to let you know everything here was engulfed in flames.

I mean let me tell you the sentiments people were dropping there were about one half step up from poo poo people have been posting here, just "cutely" veiled

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Scoops My Goops posted:

Okay but that's because your forums have been on fire for weeks. I am very much a poster here, I don't watch gaming streams and I was absolutely there last night not under this name to let you know everything here was engulfed in flames.

Useful Distraction
Jan 11, 2006
not a pyramid scheme

SKULL.GIF posted:

I recall that incident, and Ozma did intend to look it up, but then found out that that wasn't possible.

oh I think the person who bought said avatar eventually fessed up and I misremembered that part. Oh well.

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer

Paramemetic posted:

I don't think anyone has claimed this at all tho, are we even reading the same thread?

CascadeBeta posted:

You came in demanding we accept a completely bullshit "compromise" that the no bigotry rule in fyad was seriously going to be enforced this time, for realsies, and then when you got too much flak for the obviously terrible loving decision you made, you rage quit and took me out with you because you are literally the most thin skinned person on this website.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

You banned Snoo because dummies on YouTube told you to.

She draws mice and is gay. That’s it, that’s the extent of her “sins”.

I mean, what the gently caress?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Paramemetic posted:

I'm pretty sure I did, at some point. I'm still not sure what personal attacks he's referring to from the trans issues thread. The worst I've seen is people telling him to gently caress off or to grow up after our immediate feedback was ignored.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Fallen Rib
I mean that unironically btw like there might be other threads where that is happening or even in this one if someone said it but like, that's a weird thing to super focus in on, just keep soldiering past.

This situation is real lovely for you but you're doing way better now, and that's good.

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm pretty sure I did, at some point. I'm still not sure what personal attacks he's referring to from the trans issues thread. The worst I've seen is people telling him to gently caress off or to grow up after our immediate feedback was ignored.

Oh okay yeah that's legit. I mean my bad Lowtax but it's still not the thing to fixate on.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

CascadeBeta posted:

Because at the time there were multiple threads mocking trans posters in the newly reopened FYAD that were being completely ignored and two of the people that harassed people in QCS were made mods and another clearly didn't actually want to take bigotry seriously. We were loving hurting bad, and still are.

Also many of those people were given bans+30s meaning eventually some of those people are going to come back and are going to continue causing problems for the trans community on SA, and that wasn't and isn't acceptable.

I don't want you or other trans posters to get hurt, but I don't think what you're asking for (to not get hurt) is actually possible within the capability of these forums. Anyone can sign up for these forums, and bans/probations are inherently reactive, not proactive. Shitheads are going to get through the cracks particularly if they see vulnerable targets, and short of ensconcing subforums into airtight bubbles I don't think there's any realistic way to prevent that.

I don't want to comb through all of these accounts again but as far as I recall most of the people who got bans + 30s were being shitheads after the situation had already exploded in QCS, not being openly bigoted or harassing. You likely disagree with me on this issue because of the specific situation but I don't think hostility is a permaban-worthy offense. If they come back and they're shitheads again they should get banned again. If they keep on repeating then sure go ahead and permaban them.

edit: fixing a word choice

SKULL.GIF has issued a correction as of 18:48 on Jan 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Paladinus posted:

Lowtax, please, stop trying to justify yourself and get to actually understanding the issue instead. You may be right or wrong, but you are not accomplishing anything by saying the same thing over and over again and getting distracted by details when you don't have a firm enough grasp on the situation overall.

Absolutely never thought I'd say this but Paladinus is probably right.