Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

Anyway my point is that I was kinda thrown into a position where I had to immediately do something, and I had no idea about backstories or inter-forum issues or moderation problems or the trans thread or the big-rear end thread in here. I tried to do my best with the limited (and skewed) information I was given, but I was in an extremely volatile situation and didn't know like 99% of what was going on; I just had to address everything as fast as possible, and I did it as best I could with what I was told and read.

Maybe now would be a good time to take a step back , catch up on what you missed and ask questions of the affected users before you keep going. Rushing things, especially at the insistence of others, is always going to result in mistakes. That doesn’t make you a bad person, that’s just how it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

The posts I banned people for were mod sass. I didn't see anything about the trans community, and I apologize if there was something there and I missed it. I just saw a lot of people freely making GBS threads on me, and if I'm going to try to unravel and deal with this mess, I'm going to enforce the rules.

Hey, you have a lot of poo poo going on right now and it’s understandable that you haven’t been keeping up with forums issues right now given your RL situation, but you might want to hold off on full ban hammer action until you have had a chance to sit down and look over everything.

I understand that this is piling into a giant ball of stress and confusion for you, and having a bunch of people upset isn’t helping, but you really should pause for a moment. From the tone of your replies in this thread it seems like you feel like you need to focus more on justify/defend your actions, which isn’t really a good attitude to go into this with.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Lowtax posted:

I was banning people who were intentionally misrepresenting the things I said, and cherrypicking quotes to make me appear transphobic. I made it clear I was speaking about ONE SINGLE GROUP OF PEOPLE. I should be able to criticize one group of people without that being twisted into suddenly I'm a transphobe. I've been in two completely lovely marriages but I'm not a misogynist. I just really do not like those two people.

Hey, your posts seem to be getting angrier which is understandable but counterproductive. A step back might be in order, and you might want to seriously consider elevating the mods that the affected posters have a lot of faith in, like LightningKnight.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Gumball Gumption posted:

Wait, so I can pay :tenbux: to give someone the worst stuff I can imagine but for an IK or mod to fix that it needs approval? This system sounds worse and worse everytime someone reveals a bit of it.

I don’t think there’s been a full system upgrade to the forum software since the 00’s to be honest, a lot of it is piecemeal. It’s one of the reasons a lot of things take a longer time than they should.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

"Maybe if I exert control over the forums, it's sort of like having control over my life!"

You are making the best arguments for why power should be communal and not individual.