Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Fister Roboto posted:

lol msnbc

The media got rock loving hard over the Iraq invasion, even the """liberal""" networks, because it meant more money for them. They're already working themselves up to half mast over this, they don't give a poo poo as long as it gets clicks and views.

It was CNBC, which is not the same as MSNBC. CNBC is where Rick Santelli gave his infamous rant about how poors were getting help in the recession and that we need a "tea party" to make sure poors don't get any more tax money from rich white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

EBB posted:

Let's maybe not jump to conclusions based on unconfirmed twitter rumors.

Yeah, we should all know better than to believe reports of "MASSIVE BLOW STRUCK AGAINST CRUSADERS" since most of us have at one or more times walked around the perfectly intact base areas that the Taliban, ISIS, AQ, AS, or whoever have declared to be a smoldering crater full of American bodies.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bird food bathtub posted:

Looks like the post-hoc justification talking points are out. Everyone in the right wing propaganda machine is vomiting the phrase "imminent attack", so someone sent that out in an email somewhere.

That was Pompeo. Otherwise it's illegal.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hexyflexy posted:

He's an oddity in terms of TV Nazis, he's not white supremisict, he's very white nationalist, which is subtlety different.

He's both.

quote:

TUCKER CARLSON (HOST): Christopher Columbus has been ceremonially deported from the state of Alaska. Under a new bill signed by the Alaska governor Bill Walker. Columbus Day will henceforth be known as “Indigenous People's Day.”

Alaska joins California, Tennessee, and South Dakota in refusing to commemorate the discovery of the New World by Europeans. Why? Well it's an apology of sorts, obviously. The message is “it would have been better if Europeans had never come here at all.”

Well, that's not just absurd, it's literally an attack on civilization. Things are, in fact, better on this continent than they were 700 years ago in case democracy and penicillin and the internal combustion engine didn't make that obvious.

The upstart nations of the new world, in particular this country, the U.S., played a key role in creating a better and freer world, while helping to liberate the old world from despotism, fascism and communism.

There's more human freedom and happiness, far less human sacrifice and cannibalism. That's all an achievement, we ought to celebrate it, not mourn it, obviously.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The angry replies are great, but so is this
https://twitter.com/trifectatim/status/1213095421997830144
https://twitter.com/IncredCanemian/status/1213212893187051520

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/RadioFreeTom/status/1213550637910298631

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1213593975732527112

Donnie doesn't give a flying gently caress about any of this stuff. Like he gives a poo poo about the Iranian Hostage Crisis? Not the mention the threats on Iranian historical sites. So, I wonder who is in the Pentagon/Administration that is spearheading this thing.
Will be a pretty fascinating historical footnote.

Again, if we all live and can still read.

Threatening war crimes to own the libs.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Best Friends posted:

One of their problems in composing an equivalent response is there's no American officials who are actually popular. We basically merked their Eisenhower

The equivalent I can think of would have been McChystal or McRaven back when they were JSOC commanders.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

Like he gives a poo poo about the Iranian Hostage Crisis?

Also the Vincennes got 254 Iranians in 1988 so I think we've war crimed ourselves well past parity with Iran.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Declaring war via Twitter. loving millenials

Declaring war crimes via Twitter.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Super glad I just redeployed. Things are going to get stupid in Africa soon.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Smiling Jack posted:

Not the JCS, he's the chief of staff for SecDef. Relax.

Lol, look at this guy's official photo

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bulletsponge13 posted:

Can anyone give me an actual, legit reason why Iran shouldn't have the bomb? Because the only reason I've been given is "they hate America!" And their rhetoric against Israel- which is a two way street.

There is no legit reason beyond proliferation in general is bad. Nobody should have the loving bomb, and the more who have it, the higher the risk of someone setting off a nuclear war.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bulletsponge13 posted:

The anti-proliferation stance makes sense, but that isn't the stance of most who are against it.
I'm just trying to figure out the mental math that we use to decide who is allowed and who isn't

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Someone with more skill than me wanna replace the soundtrack with one of those ISIS video nasheeds and end with a title card "OBAMA'S MILITARY" ?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

https://twitter.com/ejmalrai/status/1214269546795872256

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Leavemywife posted:

I read this thread because I find it an excellent source of news, but occasionally it seems like it has to be some sort of elaborate joke I'm simply not in on.

American politics is an elaborate joke which you may or may not be in on.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
https://twitter.com/WhySharksMatter/status/1214556978187571200

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Iraq: You sent an official letter notifying us of troop withdrawal, and a tweet or press conference where you say "oopsie" isn't an official retraction.
https://twitter.com/Slate/status/1214619990919389187

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

fknlo posted:

The best part is that I'm pretty sure he was on Hannity last night saying we needed to attack. I wonder what changed his mind?

Quaalude Trump told him to change his mind.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So, uh, did I miss the statement?

It was short. He was doped to the gills, slurring words all over the place.
"We killed a bad guy. Iran is bad. We're going to impose more sanctions. They bombed us last night with Obama's money. My economy is the greatest in the world."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Rand Paul is a million times better at blue balling liberals than Collins and Murkowski.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Man, basically my entire work wardrobe comes from Penney's.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

lol he literally did it due to impeachment and was admitting it to people

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1215644318989418496?s=19

https://twitter.com/Merv515/status/1215647390323089409

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Madurai posted:

It's way past time we had our bazillion airplane makers back. I look forward to seeing Vultee and Curtiss-made drones.

Douglass, Yoyodyne, and Convair TBMs...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
An ascending airliner does not look like an attacking F-14 on radar, period.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah, any rear end in a top hat butterbar idiot knows about codeswapping, which is extremely common at initial takeoff. It is true that maybe people didn’t know this PFC-level info in 1988, but it is extremely basic physics.

Also the CIC crew said it was descending when their system showed directly to them that it was not descending.

Another US ship ID’d the flight as commercial air, but the Vincennes crew hosed it up and shot anyway.

The US Navy officially declared it human error.

Mich has been done in the US to assuage ourselves of killing 290 innocents on flight 655. It’s mostly rah rah bullshit, but at least more quietly on the training and system design side, people took note. Quietly.

Yes.
I have sat in CIC and I have sat air defense watch, and I know exactly how loving inept you have to be to make that mistake.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

Agreed. I played on an adult Rugby team for a little bit when I was younger and it is the best of soccer and football. Plus without pads you still get the poo poo knocked out of you but you are less likely to murder your family because of years of repeated head trauma, since not having a protective helmet forces you to tackle differently.

I played on a high school rugby team. It was a lot of fun, until my shoulder was dislocated to a degree requiring open capsular shift surgery.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The replies are... something. :staredog:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

That Works posted:

Personally I think that Comey's poo poo had a lot to do with the outcome in 2016. Was it enough to actually change the outcome? Hard to tell.

Nate's statistical analysis says that it was.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

bad move by warren imo. You can see the plausible deniability where she says she doesn't think Bernie's not a misogynist ("Opinions on punditry"), but Bernie is the wrong person to pick a fight with (Even one as small as this) and moving away from their non-aggression pact just hurts them both. If were Warren, when it comes up as a question during the debate (which it definitely will, now), I'd either shut it down immediately or redirect it into a more general attack on electability arguments in general.

I mean, she probably won't, and this is going to turn into a worthless slapfight that hurts them both, but it's nice to dream.

I don't think it's misogynist to think that a woman can't get elected President in today's America, just like it wasn't racist to think that a black man couldn't get elected President in America in the past. American voters kind of suck.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Kawasaki Nun posted:

If you were gonna do trial by combat why wouldn't you just use a gun?

Because you're a delusional psycho who studied the blade?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Proud Christian Mom posted:

speaking of deplatforming assholes, have the cherry on the top

https://twitter.com/nandoodles/status/1217118090753986561?s=20

Lots of people replying that they're cancelling their accounts (which don't exist and never did).

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

bloops posted:

Planet Money

is garbage.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

Yep. It has maybe two or three good explainers that then caused it to be blown up as the smartest thing, but it’s extremely neo-lib financier poo poo.

And the hosts make good money speaking at Wall Street events. NPR somehow lets this happen and not count it as a conflict of interest, but fired their Opera World host for going to an Occupy DC protest.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1217287039365844997

Any response where they're thinking millionaires send their kids to IU or Purdue instead of Notre Dame (replace state schools with your local and private with your local)

When I was in grad school at SDSU, there was a Ferrari (430 I think?) on campus. I can only assume that the driver was literally mentally disabled because his parents couldn't buy him into a better school.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arven posted:

So when Biden says he can win over Trump voters it's cool and good, but when there is objective proof that people will vote for Bernie who would otherwise vote for Trump if given the choice it's bad?

Both are bad people hth.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

facialimpediment posted:

I've seen some stuff that basically double the amount of hillary-or-busters would've defected, compared to Bernie Bros, if she didn't win the primary. Remember the 2008 PUMA (Party Unity My rear end) Democrats?

I don't know if that's valid. The PUMA Democrats were less die hard Hillary supporters and more just racist fucks.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

As much as Russia did meddle in the 2016 elections, does the US really have a leg to stand on here? There are probably more third world elections the US meddled in than we didn't over the last half century or so. Iraq and Afghanistan are still only nominally democratic US client states in a lot of ways. We clearly chose sides in Iran, Egypt, Bahrain, for the autocratic side in the latter couple of cases. And let's not even get into the dozens of direct coups we have sponsored or supported.

The US doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for democracy internationally for a country complaining about foreign meddling in its elections. The Trump campaign criminally dealt with that Russia interference and unfortunately it doesn't look like they will be held to account, but many of the Democrats who are pointing fingers at Russia were part of the national security establishment for a long time in some capacity and should take a long hard look at themselves first.

And we're lynching Negroes.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I guess he could just be several weeks behind, because he has already been impeached, we're just waiting to see if they punish him for it.

Just wait until he catches up to what he did in Iraq.

Remember, he's been claiming that he's not really impeached until the Senate takes over.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

I kind of thought the entire point of drones was that it was way more okay to have a robot plane get blown up compared to a real live person so seeing these noble sky aces trying to keep their plane insurance from spiking is pretty wild, but I guess this is the same Army that catastrophically combined two helicopters in flight attempting to find a single handgun.

When I was doing UAV ops in the neighborhood, I assumed that if Hezbollah or the IRGC lobbed some missiles like this, I'd be getting the birds in the air and dodging explosions. Reason being, risk of the missiles being the first wave of something bigger and having the cameras in the air would be the best early warning if something ground based was coming next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Stravag posted:

Holy fuuuuuuck cuz the one place where you think you're gonna manage to shoot ONLY the bad guys shooting at people is in the middle of a rally of paranoid gun people all wanting to be good guy with gun as theyre ALL pulling their pieces. This would have turned into a complete shitshow within seconds. Wow.

Yeah GOA dude, "before he fires his second shot" with an automatic weapon. :jerkbag: