Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Goodnight, old Steam thread. You had a good run.

Let's kick this off with some questions then:

Decided to restart Witcher 3 since I haven't touched it since February 2017; had some mods installed for it with Nexus Mod Manager, but when I went to get one someone suggested and I didn't have installed, it seems now NMM is deprecated and something called Vortex took its place?

Well, thing is, I tried importing my mods from NMM into this Vortex thing and it looked like it worked, but it crashes my game when trying to launch. Went back to NMM for now and I think I can add the mod I'm missing manually, but should I try and troubleshoot Vortex, or is it just not worth the effort just for W3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I don’t think I have those installed. I also didn’t purchase the Iceborne expansion, so the 90 GB update was even more surprising.

Yeah, same. No Iceborn, but after the patch the game now takes up ~25 gigs more than it used to on my ssd (I do have the high res installed but had that since before the patching), and I had to uninstall a couple games for it to actually update because of the loving ~80gb download.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

bentacos posted:

brb, gotta edit autoexec.bat

1. Windows (default option 10 sec timer, for when my dad used the computer)
2. XMS
3. EMS
4. Base Memory

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

So, what's the go-to controller for pc then? I'm legit asking, I love the bone controller but I already broke the left thumb in one and I'm starting to suspect the A button in the one I got to replace that one is eating inputs from time to time.

I used a ps4 controller for a while between those two, but I never could get it to play 100% nice with everything. I mean, I never had it outright not work, but it would always take a bit of fiddling depending if the game had native support for DS4, if I was playing through Steam, and if DS4Windows was running. Bluetooth was also sketchy but that's probably on me, I also usually play with the controller plugged, so.

It's a really good controller, it loses out to the bone in sheer "just plug it in" value.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

Where in the hell can I get a used PS4 for $80? I wanted one for the FF7 Remake.

No, you want one for Bloodborne. FF7 is just a nice bonus.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ragequit posted:

I’m unfortunately not a fan of any Souls-type gameplay

Fair enough. Bloodborne's combat plays quite a bit differently from the actual souls games because of the rally mechanic and lack of shields. Not trying to convince you, mind, it probably won't change the experience enough for you to like it if you just don't enjoy the general gameplay.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Man, gently caress Ted Faro.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SirSamVimes posted:

What's a good podcast game? I've been working my way through the Critical Role backlog and I'd like something to occupy my hands and part of my brain while I'm listening. I've been mostly using Dead Cells, but I want to mix it up a bit.

My go-to for Critical Role is Euro Truck Simulator 2.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Can you recommend some $10-20 games that look really pretty at high resolution (1440 or 4k) on medium hardware?

Ground Zeroes/MGSV should fit the bill, the engine is built on rainbows and dreams, runs at max on a loving toaster and looks amazing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

OhFunny posted:

Went back and replayed from Red Square and made sure to get all the moral points from there and still got the C'est la vie ending. Thought I'd be closer since I took the gas mask off when asked, spared that rear end in a top hat what's-his-name, saved Pavel, and the bear. I even made it through the Venice without being seen and over that bridge without killing.

Guess I just killed to many people.

huh, I would have said that should have gotten you the good ending (Lesnitsky is the biggest bad karma hit in the game, and Pavel/Bear should have helped), but as Xaris said:

Xaris posted:

The 'morality' system in Metro is definitely extremely obtuse and the weakest parts about them. that said just lookup the other ending and pretend thats what you got if you want to.

So if y'all don't mind me tooting my own horn, you can see the good ending here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_ypgLl4cs8. Starts at the 9:50 mark

/edit: The game locks the ending in before you actually hit it; The Little One has a bit of dialogue right at the end of Polis that changes depending on which ending you're getting:

Good Ending:

Bad Ending:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jan 28, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mierenneuker posted:

It’s even worse in Metro Exodus. Also the first part of its ending is shared between both endings, the second part has the different outcomes. With the good ending it ends up being an emotional rollercoaster. With the bad ending it’s a just a kick in the nuts.

At least for Exodus I got the good ending without having to use a bloody guide to play all the Balalaikas in the Metro. :argh:

Do you need to save all crew members to get the good ending in Exodus? I managed to pull it off but yeah; at least LL's C'est la Vie is bittersweet, the bad ending for Exodus is just a loving downer.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mordja posted:

What are you talking about? You and the obviously sane, reasonable commander get to ride your train to war against literal hell! :v:

Eh, sounded more like perpetual limbo to me. Dunno, at least in LL Artyom just dies, he's not condemned for eternity :v:

Det_no posted:

This is kinda the PC gaming thread so, can anyone playing on a Ryzen 5 3600 with the stock cooler tell me about their temperatures? It feels like this thing gets crazy hot, like 80+ degrees celcius, but I want to make sure whether or not it is normal before I try fiddling with reseating the heatsink.

I would like to know this as well; I made a post in the AMD thread when I just got the thing since it was idling at ~45-50C and was hitting ~72 when playing stuff, but the folks there told me it was normal and to stop worrying...

But now I'm super paranoid since it's summer here and it's been running hot as all gently caress. Right now I'm just shitposting and watching YT and I'm sitting at 61C. It's been hitting peaks of ~85 with Monster Hunter World and a couple days ago I had a mild freakout because I wasn't running the temp monitor and when I checked it it had hit 92. Again, it was like 32C room temp that day, and Ryzen Master says the limit is 95, but I sure as gently caress don't like skirting that close to that.

My airflow is fine afaik, got 2 front and 2 top fans and my GPU is coasting at a cozy 40-50 at high load, so I don't think my case is the issue. I've just been keeping an eye on temps like a hawk and avoiding MHW when I'm not running the AC on the hottest days, but I'm seriously thinking about getting an adapter for my old aftermarket cooler (Evo 212).

/Edit: I'm running the turbo profile for all fans, everything hits 100% fan speed at 65C, so it's not that. I'm also not running oc of any kind.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 29, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, thanks for the Ryzen talk. One of my friends is travelling to the States in a couple months, I'll ask them to bring over the Evo 212 "adapter" for AM4 and just install that.

I'll try to avoid MonHun during the hotter summer days in the meanwhile. :v:

/edit: oh poo poo, almost forgot. Det_no, it seems MonHun is having some issues with CPU usage after Iceborne dropped, something about DRM making Windows antivirus freak out or something.

Someone recommended I use Stracker's Loader and it has dropped my CPU usage from ~90% to ~40%, maybe give it a try?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jan 29, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Good to know, I'll give it a try today.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I will until my dying breath maintain that RAGE has some of the best gun feel in any game I've played; the sawed-off shotgun in particular is incredible and shooting a dude in the leg as he run towards you and watching him do a flip because his leg got thrown back by the impact will never get old.

...but yeah, I can't really recommend it outside of that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Volte posted:

Is there going to be a massive patch for the Wolcen release or something, because I bought it last week and there are literally "insert cinematic here" title cards, and you can't open the map overlay in the overworld because apparently that hasn't been implemented yet? It feels more like an alpha than something that's going into final release the day after tomorrow.

I'd like to know this as well; I've been eyeing it for a bit and would like to buy it before the price goes up, but if it's gonna be one of those "It's not EA (but it totally is)" launches where you have to wait a year to get the full thing I'm gonna be pissed.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

pentyne posted:

Okami HD

_LKE9-DKAT9-BPWQ_

Number of kingdoms in Westeros+1

Nabbed this, been meaning to give it another go since I never finished it back on the PS2. Thanks a bunch!! :D

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

SardonicTyrant posted:

The level with the car is pretty fun though.
ExCUSE me she's called Regina. :colbert:

Oxxidation posted:

man, metro last light was a really weak game in retrospect

gorgeous, but it’s even lighter on actual gameplay than its predecessor and the Red Square gunfight was just as horrible as I remembered
Yeah, the Red Square fight is all sorts of bullshit. If you hated that (as you should) I suggest you stay away from the non-character DLCs because holy poo poo they're even more unfair and unfun, particularly The Tower. Sniper Squad is kinda bad at best, Heavy Squad is "I hope you like getting hit through cover and dying because ????" and Spider Lair is... well, it's not bad, you get a flamethrower, but it does drag on a bit.

Just run Anna, Pavel, Khan and Kshatriya. Kshatriya is a Metro meets STALKER lite which rocks.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Mar 8, 2020

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

idk if it's uncool or whatever to admit to ~emotionality~ especially over a god damned video game and double-plus especially over a final fantasy MMO story

but the entire last two or three hours of Shadowbringers had me tearing up, and the endgame dungeons at the time were a feast for the eyes and especially the ears

The sequence between the last dungeon and trial at the end of Shadowbringers was the second time I've ever screamed at a game in my life.

I can't remember the last time I've been so satisfied with how a game wrapped up; they loving nailed it.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

i don't envy people who did that as dps lol

imagine seeing all that then getting blueballed for 15+ minutes waiting for the final trial to gather a group

Tank privilege, baby. Got queued in so fast it was almost seamless. :v:

I also got queued with a group of first timers so everyone was AMPED UP for that last fight.

gently caress it, I'm heading to an inn to rewatch that.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I wrote a bunch of stuff regarding the FF14 early game revamp then hit ctrl z and lost it :<

I still believe it's worth it to suffer through ARR just to get to Heavensward and then Shadowbringers (even if ARR is not actively bad, it's just... kinda bland), but considering the early game revamp is coming probably in July, I'll echo exquisite tea and recommend you hold out until then if you're interested in the game at all.

Also play with people. The community for the game is all sorts of awesome, so just jump in one of the goon FCs (guilds), we take good care of our sprouts.

FF12 Zodiac Age is fantastic though and I'll whole heartely recommend everyone plays it.

Ciaphas posted:

especially considering the loving Crystal Exarch is on there at #20

YOU TAKE THAT BACK.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yup, that's why the base game is 2.0.

1.0 was so bad they dropped a moon on it. Quite literally, lore-wise; 2.0 starts after the Seventh Umbral Calamity, which marked the end of 1.0 (hence A Realm Reborn) :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oxxidation posted:

iirc the baddies in the original pre-reboot FFXIV tried to defeat the good guys by dropping the moon on them, except the moon, to their surprise, turned out to be a prison containing Bahamut, who in this universe is a dragon slightly smaller than a moon and oh boy did he wake up in a foul mood

basically every faction on the battlefield got wiped out by laser dragon-breath shortly afterward

The moon, to their surprise, turned out to be a prison containing Bahamut who they were using as a battery.

There's a raid series at the end of ARR (Binding Coil of Bahamut) which explains all the shenanigans Allag got around to regarding Bahamut. It's also not mandatory (actually super easy to miss if you don't know it's there) and impossible to matchmake for at this point in time. You can still just go in there with a handful of level 80s and destroy the raid if you want to see the story and cutscenes, I ran my boss through them this past weekend with the help of some other goons.

/edit: fun fact: during the last stretch of 1.0 you could actually see Dalamud (the moon prison) getting bigger in the sky as it hurled towards Eorzea:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samuringa posted:

Why do games hate the moon so much.

Moon's haunted.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So how's the MS Gamepass thing? It's kinda cheap here (~US$3) and it has quite a few games I wouldn't mind playing but don't have any intention of paying full price for.

I know about the weird inaccesible folder issue, but other than that?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Re: MS Game Pass

Thanks everyone. Sounds pretty much like what I had in mind; there's a bunch of games in there that I want to play but I don't see myself going back to after I'm done (say, Gears 4-5) so I wouldn't mind losing access to them when I invariably let my subscription lapse.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fart of Presto posted:

Has anyone checked out the time limited demo for Ghostrunner yet?

PC Gamer describes it as Mirror's Edge meets Dishonored.
I've had it on my wishlist for some time, but just saw the article mentioning the demo today, and I won't have time to check it until tonight.

No clue why it's time limited (May 6 to May 13), but the video looks pretty stylish, though it's not gameplay, so who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm_s9NLxTko

This looks supremely my poo poo, slammed that download demo/wishlist button. Hope they stick the landing.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Mad Max is fine as long as you:

1) Beeline main story for the Harpoon before you do any side content.
2) Don even think about 100%ing it (particularly avoid the scrap points in the map, can't remember the name but they're worthless).
3) Just stop playing when you're not having fun anymore.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fargin Icehole posted:

Bought it on launch day but put this down for awhile. Recently got back into playing Synthetik. It's tough as balls roguelike but once it clicks for you, it's very good. I highly recommend it.

Synthetik is fantastic and I need to let Mr. Fuzzles talk me into playing it way more often.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yo, Streets of Rage 4 is really loving good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oxxidation posted:

mad max's sound design is unimpeachable, it has some of the meatiest gunshot blasts and engine revs i've ever heard

can't say as much for the gameplay though

The art direction in general is fantastic. The sound is indeed amazing, and they made a deserted wasteland look incredibly pretty. There's nothing to do, but god drat if it doesn't look stunning. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Let's see if someone can help me out here: I was playing Synthetik with a fellow goon (which is loving fantastic, btw), and there's a... passage? in one of the in-game tracks that sounds super similar to something else (like 95% sure it's from another game involving shooting), but I can't figure out what and it's driving me insane.

Track starts at 23:49 in this video, the bit that I'm trying to figure out what the hell reminds me of is at 24:03 exactly:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19bwPlaqFKY

I thought Payday 2 for a second? But if it was that, I can't find the track.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fargin Icehole posted:

I wanna help you, but I can't seem to recall the other game

Only one i can help with is around 29:14, 3.1 Combat. I get serious vibes off of two songs from Frank Klepacki. One is Power, and the other one is the pre-mission song Junk, which you could hear it all if your computer was having trouble loading when the game came out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K211xq5fVq0 Power

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjdHU-DYQZo Junk

Fuckin' love the synthetik soundtrack.

Azran posted:

First of all: hell yeah Synthetik. I absolutely love that game (still trying to prestige all classes at least once). As for the question - I want to say it sounds like a Payday 2 but I can't quite place it, at first I thought Sirens in the Distance or Evil Eye but after listening again to both of those it's neither.

2 months from now I'm gonna wake up in the middle of the night and just post the name of whatever the hell song I'm thinking of without any context because I'll be afraid that digging through my posts to quote the original one will take too long and I'll forget. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
There were some comments in the past few pages, but I just discovered the GoG Galaxy integration thing and... this poo poo kinda rules?

It picked up everything from all my platforms efforelessly, ports played time/cheevos over, I can install/uninstall from here, see all the available MS game pass games and just launch/manage everything from a single place. I tried PlayNite at some point but it kept duplicating some games (Origin for the most part) and kept detecting uninstalled games.

It doesn't look half bad either. I think I just found my launcher manager.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Speaking of velocity, where's my remake of Terminal Velocity.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Hwurmp posted:

The Talos Principle

:hmmyes:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Fallom posted:

It used to work a lot better but huge features like Steam integration are apparently community-developed and that plugin in particular has been insanely unreliable for me over the last few weeks

I'm not going to bother with a launcher if it makes me log into Steam every 2 days

oh, I came across this recently and yeah, the steam plugin is busted atm.

If you feel like fiddling a bit, you can install and older version of the plugin which just works, mine hasn't logged out of steam since.

I'll leave it here just in case anybody is having this issue, got it from here

quote:

Link to working version (0.46)

To "install" - delete the contents of the folder
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\GOG.com\Galaxy\plugins\installed\steam_ca27391f-2675-49b1-92c0-896d43afa4f8
and replace with the contents of the windows.zip file

Then one more step so it doesn't auto-update your plugin (do this after installing the older version).

quote:

1. Go to the plugin folder
2. Open manifest.json in your favorite text editor (I use Notepads but the standard notepad should work as well)
3. Change the version tag to the current release (0.50.6) or newer
4. Save it and open Galaxy

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

punk rebel ecks posted:

I can't be the only weirdo who plays the Metro games in Russian?

I wanted to, but they never bothered to subtitle incidental NPC chatter, so you end up missing out on a lot of 'flavour' stuff.

This is right at the start of Last Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjRqMhplZ14

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Oldstench posted:

From a couple of days ago, but check out SYNTHETIK: Legion Rising. It's great. Guns feel awesome in it and the co op is apparently really good (only played solo). It's on sale at GOG right now.

Co-op is fantastic right up until one of you gets a Nemesis with ricochet rounds.

Then it becomes glorious.

Seriously though, SYNTHETIK is fantastic and more people should play it.

(Just don't try and play it like a twin stick, moving wrecks your accuracy, you gotta learn to stand still to line up your shots).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Ciaphas posted:

so trying to play SYNTHETIK immediately after all my Enter the Gungeon bingeing will end very badly for me, huh :v:

You're gonna be missing a lot of shots and eating a lof of poo poo if you do :v:

Or you can play Commando, grab a shotgun, dash into people, shoot, knife and dash out.

Oldstench posted:

If you do that your reticule will be 3 inches in circumference.

They're not kidding. This is my sawed-off shotgun's reticle while moving:

/edit: Just checked; it's 20cm or 7.87 inches in diameter :v:

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 28, 2020