Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Mordja posted:

So Control was great. Remedy to the core, albeit with fewer Twin Peaks references than usual, but I'll forgive it that one weakness. The DLC was also solid. The Foundation was a nice break from the game's regular aesthetic but the caves themselves grew rather samey. Cool Astral sections tho and I liked the emphasis on verticality. Meanwhile, AWE was more of the same shifting brutalism of the base-game, but it showcased the engine's lighting more, and it actually added a new weapon and some much-needed unique mods. Strangely enough, it felt like each expansion paved the way for completely different sequels: the first where you rebel against The Board, the second where you're going after Paracriminals and figuring out what's going on with Alan Wake.

Anyways, Langston for President.

Agreed completely on the DLCs. I thought they were a little weaker than the main game but both left me wanting two different sequels that haven't actually been announced yet. I love Alan Wake so I'm always yearning for more of that series in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I'll take anything from Remedy that isn't Quantum Break, I love all their other games so much.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

What is the timing for Y-button QTEs in Yakuza Like A Dragon. How do I press a button.

I think it's when the shrinking ring hits the button icon itself but I'm not 100% on that.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I have obtained a badass PC that can run Horizon Zero Dawn perfectly

I am using it to play anime visual novels

Same, along with Hades.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How is Jupiter Hell and should I get it over just playing more DoomRL?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Alright I'll wait to pick up Jupiter Hell til later then, thanks for the replies.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I only had the costumes DLC from preordering Yakuza 7 and didn't have any trouble at all with the management game - it's very easy and mostly just holding down the fastforward button.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Battlefield 3 was good and 4 was good after they fixed the many launch issues, but I didn't really like BF1 or BF5 at all. I may have to check out Hell Let Loose.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I had some slowdown issues in Nioh 2 on a 3080 so I lowered the effects setting and that seems to have fixed it with not really any noticeable difference in quality per the Nioh thread.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I kinda want to play a blow up things game so I'm planning on playing Mercenaries again, but does Just Cause 3 have much over 2 that would make it worth buying the DLC (I have the main game) and play that instead of JC2?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ah, I remember hearing about the side activities and tokens. I didn't play much of the game even though I bought it because it crashed all the time on my PC at the time. May just stick with JC2.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I have no idea how you could manage to play Dusk in a manner approaching stealth.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Death Stranding rules.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think Destiny 2 has some of the best shooting I've played (for something that's not specifically trying to be realistic) but also some of the most baffling and stupid design and balance decisions I've seen. It'd take a lot for me to go back knowing that a decent amount of things I spent a long time to get or have bought don't exist anymore. That's sometimes fine in a MMO but the amount of content they put out for the game is not MMO level.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

lunar detritus posted:

I have a 3080 with a 4k monitor so I hope the DLSS is well integrated. :pray:

It's not launching with DLSS.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

TOOT BOOT posted:

Preloading seems pointless unless you have very slow internet. It's going to take an hour+ to decrypt the files anyway, even on an 8-core PC.

It took about 20 minutes for me. Though, I could have also downloaded it in about that time so while I don't preorder very often I think I'll probably just wait to download in the future most of the time because I have had preloads take an hour+.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I idled a ton and still got the halo, I always wondered how that got tracked.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Slayers X demo is amazing in aesthetic and pretty meh in gameplay.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Diephoon posted:

I have achievements from Marvel Heroes in my steam profile showcase :smith:

I will never remove the Marvel Heroes achievements from my showcase.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I thought 3 was OK but not near as good as 2, and 4 was pretty good but the powers made stuff like the cars completely useless (not a huge issue because superman powers). Didn't get gat out of hell cause it looked meh and agents of mayhem looked awful.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I used an 8bitdo pro 2 and xbone controller depending on which style of controller I wanted, and my xbone controller started getting stick drift so I got one of 8bitdo's newer wired 360 branded controller and it's just as good as the pro 2 but with the xbox style layout. Comes with the two buttons on the back and I think I paid like 30 bucks for it which is better than the official controller price with better customer support if these ever start having stick drift or whatever.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I know I'll love ultrakill but I'm very over boomer shooters being early access for years, I know they usually need the income and understand why they do it but I have no desire to play the shareware release when there's rarely a set date as to when the full release is coming.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

Fashion Police Squad just came out

Oh I did want to grab that, it looks fun.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really love Control (just finished my second playthrough of it a week or two ago), but the guns/mods are the weakest part of it outside of the darkness mechanics from Alan Wake that are in the AWE DLC. If you max telekinesis pretty quickly it stays amazing for the entire game, while even with the +60-75% damage/explosion radius mods the guns/launchers just can't keep up. I still use the guns some but once you get the triple telekinesis throw there's not much reason not to just use that and maybe mind control an enemy every once in a while. Even the floating enemies that are supposed to be immune to throws you can just quickly throw a second thing at them as they're dodging and they'll die to it just fine. Would have preferred maybe no shield or mind control upgrades because there's not much use in upgrading either and for gun damage to be part of the skill tree if they insisted on keeping that in over bad RNG mods.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah I have issues with the Alan Wake style darkness mechanics in AWE tho I found it pretty good overall (probably in large part due to really loving everything about Alan Wake except the gameplay) but I really didn't think Foundation was good at all.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I've tried to check out Control a couple times on Game Pass but whatever version they uploaded to Game Pass really sucks. I've had texture issues where the entire wall or floor is a blurry mess until you pause the game, the game won't load past the splash screen, random crashing. It seems like its worth a purchase but I'm worried the steam version will have the same issue.

I played the PS4 version my first playthru and PC the second and didn't run into any crashes, but ran into some incredibly weird bugs like teleporting back to an old checkpoint without a loading screen and having certain enemies just scream nonstop, but nothing gamebreaking. The texture not loading can be fixed with either an .ini change or mod, can't remember which, which is shown on the pcgamingwiki entry. So, you might have issues and might not and this post probably doesn't sway you either way :v:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

How is Planet Zoo? I liked playing Zoo Tycoon and was kinda wanting something at least a little similar.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Planet Zoo sounds good if it’s more sandboxey cause that’s what I want. Will pick it up and maybe a few dlcs.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

gohuskies posted:

Planet Zoo is good and extremely sandboxey on the "sandbox" mode where you have infinite money and access to whatever animals you want. On the campaign mode, it's really difficult. There's just not much financial margin for allowing many inefficiencies, and usually the creative and fun ideas that look really cool in your zoo also end up being inefficient. I don't know if you've been playing it but I would not recommend any modes other than sandbox.

I played like 12 hours this weekend, game hooked directly into my brain perfectly. I've been doing franchise mode and haven't had money issues past the beginning (I watched a tutorial on how to start a zoo and it worked well), and am making a profit pretty well so far. If it ends up being annoying to keep going I'll switch over to sandbox mode though.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The Good Queen Clitoris posted:

I picked up Arkham Origin after all the Batman talk as its the only one I haven't played, I always heard it was one of the worst ones but I'm willing to give it a go for $5 and recent stuff I've heard has also been fairly favorable.

I'm definitely in the minority I think but I really loved Origins for the most part, except for how some of the challenges had to be done. I think it's a really solid game especially if you aren't playing it around when it came out and there was some Batman fatigue starting to set in, at least for me.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

K8.0 posted:

They don't wear so yes, they are markedly superior. Hall effect sensors are nothing new, it's just that the controller space is continuing revenue for all the major companies and they want their poo poo to wear out and break with heavy use.

Most/all HOTAS setups use Hall effect sensors for the stick portion and those last forever so I'm glad to see normal controllers starting to see it more since I don't think any really have outside of expensive third party options since the Dreamcast. 8bitdo is my #1 choice for controllers on anything that will use them, and they even have adapters to use them with old SNES or Genesis consoles.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I liked Bioshock 1, loved 2, and hated Infinite. I never thought the stories were worth much but I really enjoyed the gameplay even though it was pretty easy. Nothing like the old immersive sims but I liked the first two outside of that. Infinite's story was so dumb and offensive at points; the gameplay was fine but not worth pushing through the awful story for. I remember a lot of people got very upset you could use just the wrench with certain upgrades in Bioshock 1 but I used traps and all the other weapons and the game wasn't hard enough for me to feel like I needed to use the optimal method or whatever.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The only game that's come close to using all 32 gigs is DCS VR but that's entirely because that game is the least optimized game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't think I've actually talked with a single person that actually liked Dying Light 2 outside of steam reviews saying they bought the 100 dollar version so I was surprised to see it on there just because of that. I mostly look at the nominees to laugh at them; Stray being innovate requires tokyo jungle not to exist and for it to have more actual gameplay and Spider-Man is pretty to look at but sure is just New York. Two of my favorite games I played this year were Who''s Lila? and FAITH so maybe I'm just even more out of touch than normal with what I consider innovative or great visual design.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

So did Squeenix decide Nier A just never needs to go on sale again on PC? I bought and played the remake of the first game on sale last year and would like to replay Nier A but I guess I’ll hook up my ps4 for it instead since I can’t remember the last sale it had on steam.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I liked GoW pretty well and will probably play the new one at some point. I really loved the gameplay of Spider-Man and parts of the story but you sure do work with cops a whole lot which really sucks.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

If you even sort of like Kojima stuff, flaws and all, I’d really recommend death stranding. It’s weird and dumb and I loved 90% of it outside of Mama’s entire story.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There are campy parts of V but overall it’s very dour and violent in a way that the other games aren’t. Gameplay is great tho.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

kazmeyer posted:

So if one of my fondest console memories was swinging around New York in that great Spider-Man game for PS2 are the new ones worth it?

Absolutely if you also like Batman Arkham or Sleeping Dogs style combat. Fair warning that you work with the cops like all the time and I just had to keep telling myself this is another universe with aliens and poo poo but it does suck. Most of the rest of the story is OK to good in parts and the DLC is fun tho I also found it quite a bit more difficult on the second highest difficulty. Ended up getting 100% in the main game and DLCs and it took about 43 hours so it's long but not in the way that the newer Assassin's Creed games and such open worlds can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I am a Stealth Souls-like.