Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Parkitect is real real good everyone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Oi57fqdU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shrecknet posted:

Spend it on Kind Words: Lo-Fi Beats to Write To because it is the most wholesome and honest 'game' out there. I wish I could hug all the Tumblr kids. :3:

This is the kind of game that reminds me that I am old now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

RICHARRRRRRRRD

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cardiovorax posted:

Is Metal Wolf Chaos on sale again?

It was and I bought it

Relatedly I miss Armored Core

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hotline Miami 2's a wet fart when it comes to level design (which kills a large part of it dead) but it tells its story really effectively

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4p6W5PVuc

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zereth posted:

I wonder if those, like, purple cubes you can make roll along paths and poo poo ever did anything. There were a few things in the game which seemed not quite finished like that.

I looked it up at the time though and saw things like "I examined memory and the game doesn't actually keep track of if you did that once you leave the area"

I really liked Antichamber up until all the annoying cube puzzles. When it was just spatial dicking around and cubes just to make platforms it was great

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meEoZctCMBo

Basically every From game's soundtrack is good as hell as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf6vg4jMvhY

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

HenryEx posted:

It's funny that this is the example you went with, because Revengeance is one of the peak soundtracks that's really not that great if you separate it from the game. It's almost a counter-example. Reinforced by the fact that you don't really hear the OST versions in the game (save for some exceptions), because the game dynamically mixes several looping chunks together depending on what's happening right then. The only reason the OST IS so good is because it's tailored to the game situations.

Put it on a CD and, eh... it's almost entirely carried by the meme potential of Rules Of Nature.

The boss tracks all own, especially the vocals

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A good poster posted:

Was it a reaction to Kanna?

Well that was something I shouldn't have googled at work

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Givin posted:

Wish the PS5 controller was just another PS3 controller. Get rid of that stupid trackpad nobody uses.

It doesn't really need the gyros or whatever it has either

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

K8.0 posted:

So it's exactly like XCOM.

Sounds like someone panicked

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Protocol7 posted:

I mean, seriously though.

This almost sounds like a bad satire? Like let's throw what game buzzwords we can throw into a blender: pixel graphics: check, pop culture references: check, heartwarming emotional storyline: check, "classic": check, usage of the word "gamer": check...

THIS IS NOT A GAME OF HONOR

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

luxury handset posted:

frostpunk is like a light puzzle city builder and resource management game where the devs want to force you to consider the merits of child labor and cannibalism. one of those "tough moral choices" kind of games like papers please that's not mechanically difficult to play, but emotionally difficult

Jokes on them, I love child labor

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Crossniq held my attention way less than I thought it would

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Omi no Kami posted:

Are Dead Rising 3 or 4 worth sticking on a wishlist? I absolutely loved 1 and had a lot of fun with 2, but my understanding is that 3 & 4 largely move away from the optimization and time management in favor of more generic ubisoft-esque open world stuff?

Dead Rising 4's on game pass, it's ok. I played through with the Capcom heroes dlc that turns the game into Dynasty Warriors on and enjoyed it enough. 3 didn't work on my PC for whatever reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Shadow Warrior 1 was great then kept going, and going, and going and just slowly got more and more tedious

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barry Convex posted:

the combat mechanics are fun but the level design commits a laundry list of sins (levels that are just complex enough in their layout to make the lack of a map extremely frustrating, traversable paths that fail to visually stand out from the scenery, gated combat arenas that aren't visually indicated as such so I spent 20 minutes trying to figure out why a door wouldn't open before I realized that there was one enemy I hadn't killed yet)

The stairs that instantly killed you if you didn't slowly crouch walk down them still come to mind

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

of all the sins i'd lay at either of the reboot shadow warrior games' feet that is one i have never heard of or remember

There was falling damage and you moved fast enough you'd skid off stairs, land at the bottom, break all two of your legs, and immediately die, for every set of them in the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The 7th Guest posted:

the level design in shadow warrior is so bad and the gated combat arenas are the pits. it's not like nu-doom where at least the arenas are designed like a tiny Q3A map, it's just a killbox every single time, but not a big one like serious sam

annoying loving enemies in that game too

not sure if i'll ever play the second one

i actually thought hard reset (same dev) was more enjoyable even though it also had a lot of problems

The thing I appreciated about Hard Reset is that about half the weapons in the game are pretty blatantly the beams and missiles from Metroid Prime. They had super missiles, the charge beam, plasma beam, and wavebuster just off the top of my head.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guys I took Kentucky route 418 instead, how do I get back to route zero

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxxidation posted:

Drive down the 418 with the radio off until the hiss of pavement beneath your tires reminds you of that song your mother used to hum, in the days before the drinking got out of hand. Pull over to the side of the road and stare at your face in the rearview mirror until it becomes a stranger's. Say to it, "The last time is the last time," but in the voice of a man who knows he is damned to forever make a liar of himself. Then pull back onto the road (headlights on - it will be nightfall). Follow the sound of horses.

gently caress, I'm in Ohio now

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Eliza is really good (it was my #2 game of 2019)

How did you fix the hole in her bucket?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Game Pass is a great value but a colossal piece of poo poo. If I uninstall a game now it instantly starts reinstalling it (and usually fails).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Void Destroyer 2 left EA?

Omi no Kami posted:

Is Lords of the Fallen worth grabbing on deep discount? I keep hearing it described as an absurdly eurojank-y souls ripoff, but I'm unclear whether that means flawed-but-fun janky, or deadly premonition janky.

It sucks very badly and the one redeeming feature in it is the bad guy, a chained god who hates humanity, asks if you want to help him subjugate humanity and you can go "hell yeah, I hate these loving assholes", then you do that.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 12, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Void Destroyer 2 is basically what I always wanted the fleet combat in X3 to be

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

StrixNebulosa posted:

I cannot describe how strange it is to play a space sim where it just hands you things and you're up and playing with fire within the first hour. I genuinely expected that I'd still be like, scrubbing floors for five hours before anything opened up.

I'm just glad someone besides me had the idea for fleet management to just be "play like you were in Homeworld's sensor manager then close it and keep flying your ship" and also have the ability to actually do that in some fashion

The game's a huge breath of fresh air

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stickman posted:

Things I want = just business. Things you want = politics :derp:

E: Any tried ScourgeBringer? It looks very much my jam, but some of the Steam reviews have said that the controls aren’t as tight as they’d need to be?

It's ok but really boring. I got through to the first boss effortlessly, died because I didn't feel like I had enough control to evade between the projectiles on screen, and didn't feel like blasting through the barely-dangerous enemies to get back to it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked Hard Reset but I found the first boss unbeatable on the hardest difficulty on a replay

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

You're doing a very good job of selling it... right now the biggest thing holding me back is that art style :barf:

You can disable the outline and cel shading separately from each other!

Though it looks a lot worse without it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now that's what I call a self-own

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're working on Homeworld 3, Homeworld: Mobile (lol) and Shipbreakers. Good for them!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OutOfPrint posted:

Shipbreaker doesn't look like something I would play for more than an evening, but I'm glad it's being made for the tech on display, the uniqueness of the premise, and that it looks like it's going to make other people very happy to play it.

The only thing that struck me as off about it, and this is really nitpicky, is that it's name is Hardspace: Shipbreakers and not just Shipbreakers, which is a much punchier and interesting name without the Hardspace part. It's a marketing decision that feels a bit odd to me.

They said they're working on four things at once a while ago, so between HW3, HW:M, and that I wouldn't be surprised there's going to be another Hardspace: Subtitle later

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Dead Space 3 was amazing in co-op. Ignore the microtransactions which literally don't matter because you're always loaded with materials and get your most potato headed friend, your rocket launcher minigun nailgun thing, mighty boot and MIGHTY MJOLNIR and just angrily stomp your way through The Thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zachack posted:

Apparently this just got stealth released onto Game Pass, too.

I'm pretty sure it's just the demo since it says "Game Preview"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blattdorf posted:

It's cool you're spoiling a pivotal moment of the game just like that.

It doesn't really mean anything out of context

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

baka kaba posted:

^^^ yeah that soundtrack thing is garbage and it's especially bad for stuff you already own

all right yeah, that makes sense

oh yeah there's always gonna be some people like that, I just saw it as more of a neowwwww bang bang arcade thing people played for fun. Like nobody cared that Ridge Racer was nothing like actual driving, you got to go sideways around a track and that's rad

tbh I can see F-35 stans being extremely drawn to an anime plane game where all your wildest, dumbest fantasies are real and work extremely well actually

Ace Combat takes the position that war is hell and horrible and death to the mic, but also that jets are loving awesome and shooting missiles and doing sweet maneuvers owns

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So with World of Horror what is a full run like? I get that there are "cases", do they string together or is it all random and it doesn't really matter when you go insane and your face melts off and you die? I've only seen the demo case.

dbzfandiego posted:

Ah so its a Gundam.

P much

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 21, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

They're Night Lites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks for the description! The style is definitely up my alley, once the saves are fixed I'll give it a go.

Lol at the spoiler too