Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

OzFactor posted:

I found the Prey thread so I'm posting about it there, but man, I know it gets recommended every time anyone asks for a game of basically any genre, but, like, you should all play Prey. It is exceptional in just about every way. As I get older it's pretty rare for me to even beat a game, and exceedingly more rare for me to beat a game and want to keep playing it or start over and play it again. I'm Mooncrashing right now but I'm really looking forward to starting the regular game over to play less cautiously and inject everything I see into my eyeballs and launch aliens into space with my mind.

So, advice: when this thread says "play Prey" the thing you should do is play Prey.

Prey is incredible. I had the big reveal spoilered for me because I'm an idiot who can't control himself but I still loved it

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jan 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I got a new desktop yesterday. What are some good games I should play to put it through its paces? If it involves ray tracing, even better, but anything that’s stupid demanding is welcome.

Football manager 2020 with every single league and division loaded in

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Well I finished DUSK, probably the first game I've actually completed this year, its super great! If you like FPS or Doom or Quake or just shooting poo poo and great level designs then it's well worth playing.

Such a nice feeling to play through a whole game in a weekend

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Fun Times! posted:

Why would someone who isn't a fan of the show play the game?

They may have became a fan of dragonball z through the most enjoyable piece of DBZ media - dbz fightersZ

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Azran posted:

I really like short, replayable games like Into the Breach, Dungeon of the Endless, FTL or Invisible Inc where you unlock more characters/equipment as you go on, but I haven't had much fun with traditional roguelikes (mostly because most of them have kinda ugly UIs and that's a major bummer for me). Anyway, I'm looking for recommendations. Any ideas?

Spelunky is the game that got me into rougelikes, I totally fell for the cartoony platforming first though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Oh poo poo i forgot i bought that at Christmas and havnt touched it yet.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
poo poo I didn't know there was even a THIRD! character

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Hwurmp posted:

all games are actually terrible

You calling Trials a bad videogame son?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Sacrifice is king of the action rts

Man i should play sacrifice again

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought Black Mesa at Christmas and have only just started it, I know it was a long time coming but its astounding how great it looks and even how half life plays today - a string of great set pieces without being explicitly directed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love the HEV Chargers in Black Mesa and how much they look like a real physical unit rather than a flat box like the original games

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My mate Kevin was a browser tab monster, he'd regularly have 15+ tabs open, messy desktop too, not the way to live, My Computer, Recycle Bin and a folder for all my game shortcuts which is inevitably ignored as the amount of game clients on my quickbar slowly grows, its the only way

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
This Steam recommended queue seems like a cool feature, I've got a bundle of games that I've picked up on humble bundles or steam sales which I haven't really touched, hell I'm sure most of us could probably say that

Just played Battleblock Theatre for the first time, nothing special but its a neat 2-d platformer

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Whats the best use of audio logs in games that isn't the System Shock or Bioshock series?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I really wanted to finally play Chrono Trigger but for some reason my 3ds isn't recognising 2ds carts so Persona 4 is a nice substitute

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I borrowed P4 on PS2 from a friend and put maybe 15 hours into it before Golden was announced, I put the original aside thinking I'd get to Golden one day and now I have I am very disappointed they changed the theme song

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

No Wave posted:

I am 32 hours into Persona 4. It has been out for 90 hours.

That's a lot.

I've slowed right down after putting in 7 hours the first day. Great game but i can't play too much in one sitting

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

queeb posted:

Outer wilds is amazing and everyone should play it.

alright alright, fine i'll do it!

I often roll my eyes when people talk about being too scared in games but Subnautica was the one game I really wanted to play more of but just felt way too anxious to be in the water, I didn't even play that far or see anything that scary but it certainly made me feel uncomfortable in a way i didn't like

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jun 18, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mordja posted:

:siren:TITANFALL 2 IS ON STEAM GET IT IF YOU HAVEN'T:siren:

Is this the first time its been on Steam? I played a bunch on ps4 but man I could go some Titanfall 2 rn

edit: oh of course the EA thing, excuse me I got a rush of blood to my head thinking of titans

JollyBoyJohn fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 18, 2020

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Excitedly bought Outer Wilds knowing almost nothing other than it had GOTY awards, had some dodgy stuttering when it first loaded up, enjoyed the initial atmosphere, didn't really enjoy talking to the NPCs, it kinda took me out the game a bit and then about 10 minutes in it crashed and hard locked my pc, its not for me, gonna refund it and slam titanfall 2 instead

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ulio posted:

Has there been any talks of FF7R pc version? Just started playing it on ps4 pro and the framerate at 30 is super annoying. FF games are so action heavy and fast paced I would prefer them to focus more on framerate, there isn't even the option to chose framerate over resolution like you normally have on pro. I will probably buy it instantly if it comes out, its a lot better than 15 so far in terms of gameplay and customization.

i don't think this is true at all

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Nobody called him a sexual predator until that tweet happened. Its just given his lovely behaviour, it doesn't come as a huge shock because its another lovely thing to add to the pile of lovely things he did.

Hey don't lump in icewind Dale with sex crimes

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Busy Bee posted:

Anyone play Steam games with a controller? Seems like the Microsoft Xbox Controller is the go-to? I'm thinking about the wireless one and connecting it to my computer via Bluetooth.

Its the only action my 360 controllers have seen in years

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Kinda tempted by cook, serve delicious 3, didn't play 2 but had a lot of fun with original

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Chas McGill posted:

I can't believe how good the Titanfall 2 single player is. The multiplayer is cool but I've been very pleasantly surprised by the campaign.

It's great, it has more memorable points than most call of duty games and it doesn't overstay its welcome too keep you from that sweet multiplayer

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Ripper Swarm posted:

Is that the modern Sonic game that's actually fun?

I think thats Sonic Mania

(I had fun with it at least)

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Picked up Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider for a combined £19, not too shabby

Having too much fun clearing up Hitman 2 levels though

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I've been having a real civilization itch lately, i used to play 2 a bunch but never really put the same kinda time into the others, finally got round to civ5 with the expansions and it seems fantastic but man I miss Leonard Nimoy and Baba Yetu

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Veotax posted:

Halo 3 is coming out for the Master Chief Collection on PC today, and it looks like it's actually a really good port this time.

Oh are the previous games ports not good, I picked up the collection on the last steam sale and haven't really put time into it yet

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I found the e-mails strangely compelling in Death Stranding, I'm not sure why they were written in this weird style as if every single characters e-mail was written by the exact same intern but they had this oddly uplifting tone I kinda liked.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The BTs were not my favourite part of the game but they could have been far far worse, one particular moment with them is maybe my favourite sequence to happen in a game in ages, spoilered for new players

getting sucked into a tar pit and being attacked by a giant oil whale was mind bendingly :wtf:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Bruceski posted:

ME1: clunky as heck but there's something there under it all.
ME2: Knocked most of the cruft off, and polished the good bits.
ME3: Didn't stick the landing but if you view the whole game as the ending some folks get great moments. And some of the best multiplayer addon to a singleplayer game... ever. So much fun.

Mass Effect multiplayer ruled

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

J posted:

All my friends were super into the dota2 autochess thing, then they moved to TFT/underlords for a short while, now none of them play any of them anymore. That's my anecdote.

Tell them about Artifact op

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I would love a Metroidvania version of Spelunky

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Veib posted:

Tekken 7 is 77 gigs and a third of that is just every FMV from every Tekken game ever

Lol i bought Tekken 7 on ps4 and most of my playtime was watching those fmvs

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
"Mild sexual references" ?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bored and off work this week, loaded up Witcher 3 thinking I should really give that dlc a go, suddenly remembered that I stopped playing because there is a giant toad prince boss I was stuck on

I always thought people were harsh on the Witchers combat system but this this is just horribly clunky and not fun, it also seems to run and look worse than it did when I last played it. Regardless, very easy game to switch off.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing Halo Reach and man the default battle rifle feels much weaker than it did in Halo 1

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Playing on Heroic was a mistake I just wanna be a badass space marine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Re: The Tomb Raider reboots - the xp bars and skill trees were far more off putting than any of the death animations