Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey sorry if this is a dumb question I did a search and couldn't really find an answer - but is Fanatical .com a legit source for steam keys? Looking to get a 4-pack of tabletop simulator for me and a few friends to try during the apocalypse and it's 50% off there but full price on Steam.

Also, anyone know how it works getting keys from them? Do they just email you keys and you give them to friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK thanks for the quick replies guys - I've never bought keys other than from Steam directly. Appreciate the help.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bought the tabletop sim from fanatical. Had a game night with our friends half a continent away. Played 5 crowns. A little clunky, but it certainly worked.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

zedprime posted:

There's better digital tabletops but they're still like thick IRC clients in user friendliness and you can't flip the table.
The people we are playing with are not PC saavy at all (total ipad people) so friendliness for chat/set up is pretty important. Worked well with Steam. Basically went into a friend voice chat and then launched the game. They used their 10+ year old imac and built in speaker/mic. The echo the Mrs. and I had with our headsets was pretty terrible because of that (could hear our voices go through their speakers back to us) but it worked pretty well. Once they get their headsets from work I think we should be sitting pretty good.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a tabletop simulator thread? Did a search and can't find one... sort of surprises me if so :/

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Funso Banjo posted:

In the board game thread you’ll find a link to our Board game goons discord. We have a Tabletop Simulator channel and arrange games there.

Thanks for that - but I am having some problems with it and workshop and I'm sure it's my own idiocy. Not sure who to ask super simple questions to.

I modified a game in workshop (added my own board) but for some stupid reason the board itself isn't uploaded to workshop - or, it's not downloading the board for anyone who subscribed to it. This is driving me nuts I've literally been farting around with it for hours now.. longer than it took me to make the mod in the first place.

My mod is available, but it's only .0068 MB, the board itself is a 2.3MB image so I know it's not attached and no matter what I do it isn't attaching. Driving me nuts.

E: might be working now... Ffs I dunno what was happening. Ugh.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 6, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Are there any recommendations for tower defence type games? I have Defence Grid 1/2 and really like them. Also have Kingdom Rush which I quite like, but find a little frustrating that it doesn't have a quick rewind-type of thing like Defence Grid.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks - I'll look at those for sure. Not sure about multi-player aspect, I always just like killing some time doing them on my own schedule.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

ymgve posted:

Defender's Quest is also good

I'm a bit meh on Riftbreaker. It's a slick game, but some things (Weather that damages your base, a sudden difficulty spike out of nowhere that is forcing me to restart and replan after 10 hours) made me dislike the game. Also others have encountered scripting/save game bugs, which makes it sound like the game should have had an Early Access period.
I see there a demo for this - I'll give it a shot. Thank you.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Simone Magus posted:

Dungeon of the Endless is staggeringly good

also there's a game that's totally a blatant Kingdom Rush clone, Tiny Guardians
Thank you all for the recommendations - I really appreciate it :)

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Bofast posted:

You might like Super Sanctum TD. Kind of a pixel art throwback made by Coffee Stain who also made the more 1st person tower defense Sanctum games. As I recall it has no real story or rewind function, though, so not that similar to Defense Grid.
I'll check that out. Pixel-art type games don't usually capture my interest, but it looks interesting.

I, Butthole posted:

As a DG1/2 tragic, the only one that really hit the itch for me so far has depressingly been Bloons TD6. It's got some mobile bullshit you can ignore, but it's simple tower defence where you can sit there and watch enemies just crumble into defense, and get's relatively brutal at times.
Thanks - I'll probably pick that up next sale.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Something I run into often enough to be annoying, I really wish the store would say how "packages" or editions of a game differ from the standard game. I presume it has some DLC or something but make it simple to see what the differences are.

Stellaris:
Regular Game
Galaxy Edition

Any idea what the difference is?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Hub Cat posted:

Far Cry 6 probably would have charted if it was on Steam. It was outselling Back 4 Blood and that hit gold:shrug:
:raises hand:
I enjoy farcry franchise, probably more than I should. I'd almost certainly buy it. I loved flying the gyrocopter thing and using the grenade launcher way, way too much.

Any idea why it isn't on steam? Is Ubi severing the relationship or something?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I've had Hello Neighbor and Kingdoms and Castles on my wishlist since 2017.

Thoughts?

Also, both Mrs. Slidebite and my mom are casual gamers, click and find stuff and bejewelled/Zuma popcap type games that are easy to pick up and go. Anything come out in the past year or two that are must haves?

Also, RE the click/find, they both HATE when they have puzzles, usually between levels as part of some lame story narrative. They'd far rather just endless click and find. Anything that fits that?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is there a recommendation thread anymore that I'm just missing?

I seem to really like the hybrid mix of RTS/FPS (IE: Battlezone remake, Carrier Command/Anteus Rising) and trying to find something else along that genre before the sale wraps up. Something with base building, a bit of combat (not too much) but FPS perspectives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

God dammit - I looked, I swear. Thanks!