Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Len posted:

Tell me more

I've talked about it on some of the podcasts - I can dig up links. Basic idea is every PC is a traveler who checks into a hotel and walks up in a labyrinth that looks like the hotel at first. They can't leave the structure and doors will open up to pocket universes. Everyone is there for a reason and the key to escape is figuring out why. Some features:

Character creation during game play - you just start the game and the first scenes set up who you are and why you're traveling. You progress from there.

Collaborative narrative creation - vignette scenes allow flashbacks to flesh out PC backgrounds and set up found document back stories.

Crafting mechanics to build supernatural weapons and tools

Newest feature is architectural conflict resolution - the Structure is a bit like Inception/Dr. Strange - you can shape the labyrinth to a degree but so can the monsters. I haven't gotten too far on this yet but it's going to be a map-making system - trap your opponent in impossible architecture while they try to do the same to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Frgrbrgr posted:

This thread (and specifically open_sketchbook's comment to just make a game that takes an hour to make) has inspired me to take on a challenge to make a new game every week this year. My first game is now live on itch.io: Apple Berry Canada.

Hey, I just read through Neon Midnight today, it was super interesting! That's a really neat way to translate Betrayal's mechanics into a PBTA game, what made you decide to use it as inspiration and how did you decide on the implementation?

Frgrbrgr
Jan 20, 2009

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, I just read through Neon Midnight today, it was super interesting! That's a really neat way to translate Betrayal's mechanics into a PBTA game, what made you decide to use it as inspiration and how did you decide on the implementation?

Haha, well the goal really was to make "Betrayal, but a ttrpg," so the inspiration was more like, this needs to feel similar. I figured a 2d6 roll made sense and wanted the modifier to increase similarly, and figured the best way was to tie it to player attribute increases like Betrayal (so they are stronger as Midnight approaches). Ultimately, though, it will require the players and GM to force dramatic situations a bit since that's the whole point of the first half of the game, and I figure the stereotype-fueled playbooks (Instincts) and general working knowledge of '80s teen movies would be enough for them to have fun.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Got something coming out next week that's been in the oven for a while:

UnCO3 posted:

Do you like role-playing games? Do you like the works of Hitoshi Ashinano? Do you like map-drawing games? Do you like the peaceful twilight of this age of humanity (gently caress!) as the world changes into something new and our people find a new place for themselves in the strange and beautiful world to come?

Next week I'm releasing Twilight Song, my Yokohama Shopping Log-inspired hack of The Quiet Year - it's a pastoral sci-fi story set in the near future in a world that becomes increasingly unlike our own, focusing on the life and times of an immortal narrator who stays the same even as years, decades, and generations pass. Here's a preview of the season oracle (which will be freely-available in its properly-formatted form, as well as other material such as the 'Between Years oracle', when the game is released). As with TQY's oracle, this provides random events and story prompts during the game - you draw a playing card and match it to the corresponding entry (each suit corresponding to a season).

There's an early alpha PbP playtest here on SA - I've refined it a lot since then, but if you want to see how an earlier version played out, check it out!
Expect to see more on this after the initial flurry of attention on Zinequest campaigns subsides a little.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
SETTING UP YOUR FIRST DIGITAL GAME ON DRIVETHRURPG

Before you do this, you need to set up your publisher account on DTRPG. You need an existing account, and then you need to click the ‘How to Sell on DriveThruRPG.com’ link in the footer of any page. This’ll bring you through the process of setting up your publisher account. Make sure to go ‘Non-exclusive’. If you go exclusive and then want to back out, you need to wait 6 months before being able to take anything you first published on DTRPG elsewhere, and the benefits of exclusivity are that they 'only' take 30% instead of 35% and you get a bit of on-site promotion.

Once you’ve set up your publisher account you’ll see another option in the menu at the top of each page, marked ‘Publish’. That’ll take you to a page with this big set of drop-down menus:

From which you want to pick ‘Title Management’ -> ‘Set up a new title’. That takes you to the page for inputting all the details about your game – very similar to itch.io this is all on one long page aside from uploading the game files themselves.

Use template
This lets you copy over all the details from an existing title listing – useful if you have a specific format you put the blurb in, or to keep track of which fields you use, or if you’re creating the next product in a line and want the settings to track.

Title Data
Title: what it says
Author(s): these will show up in the ‘Authors’ section in the summary sidebar on the right of a product’s page
Artist(s): as above for Author(s)
Number of pages: as it says – I’m never sure whether that’s meant to include title pages etc.
Price: The options are slightly different and not clearly laid out, but you can do most of the same things as itch’s pricing schemes: set a price to sell for that price, check the PWYW box to sell PWYW with that suggested price, or set price to 0 to make it free. Unlike itch there is no optional suggested higher price – either you sell at a single, fixed price, or you give it away for free, or you do PWYW.
Product page text: a WYSIWYG text editor to write your blurb in; like itch’s, but with a few more options.
Image uploads: standard image upload interface
Cover image: a significant difference from itch! Basically you need the title/cover page of your game in an image format. It has to be portrait and it has to be 350-900px wide. If you’re not sure how to get from your game pdf to a title page (and it’s not already one single image that fits the format they want), here are a few options:
  1. An online pdf-to-image service like pdf2png
  2. An image editor like GIMP (some allow you to open pdfs as images)
  3. Publishing programs like Affinity Publisher often let you export in many formats, including images
GIMP is free, Affinity Publisher is not.
By the way, DTRPG can take a long time to add/change cover images.
Audio product: there’s a final checkbox in this section if you’re uploading any kind of audio

Category Assignments
This is basically the tag equivalent on DTRPG, but less flexible and with more guidance. You can check boxes to assign your game one or more items in each of these categories:
  • Rule System (stuff like Fate, DnD, Traveller, but also for some reason ‘OSR’ as a single categoriy)
  • Product Type (much more in-depth than itch’s equivalent here – you can specify whether it’s a core book, non-core book, play aid, other media, etc.)
  • Genre (a little bit restrictive, but they’ll fit a lot of games)
  • Format (pdf, phone pdf, epub, mobi, etc. as well as more unusual formats like audio, video, or html, plus… print. This is the main thing DTRPG does that itch doesn’t really do (yet?))
  • Languages (oddly restrictive, mostly European…)

Product File Information
PDF Source: leave it on ‘electronic format’ unless you’re actually scanning in pages of old books
File Security: a couple of security measures that don’t have an easy equivalent on itch. I feel like they’re more security theatre than anything enforceable, though
Automatic Previews: different options for mini and full-size previews on the product page – you can select the page range for each. Obviously, if you’re selling something, don’t give it all away for free in a full-size pdf preview

Optional Information
Scheduled release date: only useful if you’re putting up the page as a preview
Stock number: mark the amount of stock to begin with (I don’t know if you need to update this, but I’d hope it updates automatically). Obviously for pdfs this is irrelevant unless you’re doing a limited promotion
ISBN: again a mark of DTRPG’s role selling physical products
Sort priority: this sets where the game appears in your DTRPG storefront. Lower numbers appear first/top-left, higher numbers appear after that in order. If you want products to appear in the order you published them, start with a very high number (e.g. 9999) and subtract 1 for each new product so you always have headroom and don’t have to edit everything’s priority just because you published something new
Adult product: this basically restricts your audience
Send to reviewers: sends a copy to all ‘DTRPG featured reviewers’. I guess check it if those people generally like products like yours, otherwise don't, seeing as bad reviews or ratings probably tank you if not algorithmically then socially.
Purchase note: like download instructions on itch, you can use this to add a message to anyone who downloads the game
Video url: works like the trailer video on itch

That’s it! Except for uploading the game itself, that is. That’s separate from the title listing. Click ‘Save title listing’, then go back to the main menu page and click through ‘Title Management’ -> ‘Update digital download files for a title’. This takes you to a page with a drop-down menu field where you can find/search for your new title listing – click through and it’ll take you to the file upload page.

Upload Files
This is another standard file upload interface. Drag and drop, or click and use a file explorer, then click the ‘begin upload’ link.

Manage Files
When the files are uploaded they’ll appear in the list below, where you can edit visible file names or delete files. Unfortunately you can’t reorder, so if you have multiple files and the order matters you may have to be precise when uploading or delete some and reupload until you get the right order.

Below that you set the file type (e.g. watermarked pdf) and whether or not the files are available for sale.

That’s it! Except for making the page itself public, that is. Go back to your publisher hub and look at the ‘Most Recent Title’ option (or ‘All Titles’). These are quick summaries that let you edit a few key properties – the product name, price, available formats, and page status (is it public or private?) As the publisher, you can always check out your own private pages, so you can double-check everything before making it public. You also have the option of viewing your own product pages as yourself (its publisher) or as a customer would see them. You can find this option on your products’ pages.

Here’s a simple step-by-step list:
  1. Set up the page: ’Title Management’ -> ‘Set up a new title’, then fill out as much of the form as you need.
  2. Upload the files: ’Title Management’ -> ‘Update digital download files for a title’, then upload and arrange your files (there are other routes to this page).
  3. Check and make it public: Publisher page -> find the summary for your new title, then set it to public once you’re happy with the page.

One more thing – when you share a link to your product’s page, either do it in ‘view as a customer’ viewing mode or delete the extra ‘?view_as_pub=1’ setting on the end of the url. I don’t think it’ll cause problems, but it will get rid of the extra characters, which matters if you’re tweeting about it (unless you use tinyurl or another url-shortening service).

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Selfpromotion is good, actually! So here's me, self-promoting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1325743523/red-rook-revolt

Let me just quote from the kickstarter:
Red Rook Revolt is a Tabletop RPG about fighting a revolution against oppressive imperialist forces, about support and love from your friends pulling you through impossible odds, and about balancing the corrupting power of your demonic weapons with the need to defeat your enemies and win liberty for your people.

In Red Rook Revolt, you play the heroes of the Red Rook Commune, a free territory in open rebellion against the Imperium Alarum, the Empire of Wings. For its long history of struggle, the Red Rook Commune has enjoyed liberties beyond the rest of the empire. Now, emperor seeks to crush it once and for all, people across the empire rally to the commune’s banner, raising their arms in revolt!

Using a bespoke system that emphasizes friendship and camaraderie, the game explores the way your rebels support each other through stress, dark thoughts and darker times.

Combat emphasizes fluidity and speed, encouraging you to dart in and out of melee. Fighting your enemies at close range is risky, but doing so nets you Dark Power to fuel your gun and your secret talismans. Health pools are low, but with plenty of mobility options and guaranteed damage in melee combat, combat feels fast, fluid and dangerous.

If y'all wanna help me promote this everywhere you can, that'd be highly appreciated!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Actually, shamless self-promotion is good

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
My game that is inspired by, but legally distinct from, CATS is now available.

Check out The Angelical Life over on itch!

Also, it got all the way up to #10 on the list of most popular physical games on itch.io, so I'm pretty happy about that.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I published another drat game! Here's the cross-post from the general chat thread, with some of the text cut:

UnCO3 posted:

I just published Twilight Song on itch! It's a hack of The Quiet Year where you collectively play as an immortal narrator living among people in the peaceful twilight of humanity's current era, as the old world changes into something strange and new. Its main inspiration is the award-winning manga Yokohama Shopping Log* by Hitoshi Ashinano, and among its other inspirations are: their other works, numerous Ghibli films, Mushi-shi, BLAME!, the magical-realist short stories of Bruno Schulz, the illustrations and paintings of Jacek Yerka, and the music of Joe Hisaishi. Even if you haven't heard of most of these things, I recommend checking them out anyway - they're a mix of the weird, wonderful, and sublime and my game is an attempt to hold a candle to that.

. . .

Anyway, here's a link to the tweet where I launched the game if you have a twitter account and a moment to spare giving it a boost:

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1227331054987554820
I'm a bit concerned that ZineQuest 2 has somewhat sapped people's energy, or saturated the airwaves, or adjusted price expectations downwards, so I'm looking for any help getting the word out - retweets, discussion on other social media, anything, really.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
In the spirit of shameless self promotion, The Angelical Life is now up on DriveThruRPG!

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
This might be kind of a broad question, but does anyone have advice for using a pen name or handle? Or would it just be better to use my legal name for anything I'm trying to sell?

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

Agent Rush posted:

This might be kind of a broad question, but does anyone have advice for using a pen name or handle? Or would it just be better to use my legal name for anything I'm trying to sell?

I've had precisely one issue with using "Humblebird Publications" as a pseudonym on DTRPG, and that's that responding to customer comments gives out your Firstname Lastinitial. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing. Actually picking the name and logo involved a lot of spitballing, and I went with Humblebird Publications because 1) it wasn't taken, 2) I liked the idea of the logo framing text with a hummingbird's long tongue, and 3) I think the idea of hummingbirds living in underground warrens like bumblebees is funny.

So yeah, my suggestion is to come up with something you find funny but which isn't obviously trying to be a joke.

---

Anybody else ever find yourselves making more content just to give yourself more flexibility in layout? My villain scheme generator started with one page of tables, then I made an alternate set of smaller "serious" tables, which I couldn't justify putting on their own page, but they wouldn't fit on the first page, and putting it on the same page as explanatory text ruined the flow for either the serious or cartoony plots. I ended up making two pages of villain generator tables in the meantime, and now I've got 1) Cartoony Schemes, 2) Serious Schemes and part of Villain Design, 3) the rest of Villain Design, plus a modest amount of negative space on each page to move stuff around as needed.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Agent Rush posted:

As Abyssal Squid said, it’s real easy to do (I think you can use a fake public-facing name on your DTRPG account, too, as long as it’s your real name in the financial parts). Itch is better about this because it always uses your username for public-facing stuff. You can get a Paypal business account without being a LLC as far as I’m aware.

As far as picking a name goes, of course, it’s gonna reflect things about the content you create (or, give people impressions about that).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
The only thing I think which requires your absolutely real real name is Kickstarter; they want all sorts of financial details before they'll let you start your thing.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Like UnCO3, I do worry that Zine Quest has saturated the market this month. But not so much that I won't go promotin' my new one!

https://twitter.com/miriable/status/1230142778937683970

I'm also hoping that launching late in the month means that I can get some folks' March budget spillover. Probably a risky proposition, but ehh. If that doesn't work, I'll just be ready to go 12:01 a.m. on Feb 1 next year.

(Incidentally, if anyone knows someone who posted here in TG back around, like, 2004, but isn't around anymore, shoot me a PM.)

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I think ZineQuest isn't quite at saturation, but according to some numbers someone pulled from last year, you'll do way better if you launch Feb 1st. Sort of thing I wish I'd bothered to look up before arbitrarily setting my date for the 18th.

I think the issue at the moment is more the ongoing Kickstarters for big-name games like Hunter, Descent Into Midnight, and coming soon Beam Saber. Those are going to vacuum up people's budgets and attention in a way that ZQ doesn't.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1231308211258568705

I know SA is all "blehhh zweihander" and whatnot, but this is actually VERY BIG news for me: Because of changes in the Grim and Perilous Library's licensing conditions, I'm able to sell my flagship product Carrion Crows: Folio Edition again! I've got some more news coming, but if you like your dark fantasy to be about marginalized people forming communities for themselves while an empire dies, and building that community from selling cursed artifacts and monster organs, this is the setting for you.

EDIT: Old Link Machine Broke, new link is here

sasha_d3ath fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 25, 2020

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

potatocubed posted:

The only thing I think which requires your absolutely real real name is Kickstarter; they want all sorts of financial details before they'll let you start your thing.

Even then you can get around it if you file a Doing Business As/Ficticious Business Name with your locality and use that to get a business bank account.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Selfpromotion is supposed to be good, actually, so let me just post this here and i hope y'all can help me spread it around!
https://twitter.com/Magnusthi/status/1234069672313663493

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Everyone's projects in this thread have inspired me to start working on my first RPG! I just got an email back from Graham Walmsley and I got permission to use Cthulhu Dark as the basis for a cozy mystery game :)

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Lumbermouth posted:

Everyone's projects in this thread have inspired me to start working on my first RPG! I just got an email back from Graham Walmsley and I got permission to use Cthulhu Dark as the basis for a cozy mystery game :)

Instead of going insane you are slowly getting drowsy. Can you solve the mystery before you fall asleep?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

DalaranJ posted:

Instead of going insane you are slowly getting drowsy. Can you solve the mystery before you fall asleep?

Insanity is going to be replaced with Scandal or something like that and you can add the die whenever you're willing to put your reputation on the line. Too many instances of getting caught snooping around by the police or disrupting the summer fete to follow your suspect and you're forced to leave the village in disgrace.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I've been freelancing making maps for Delta Green for a little while now, and I've been itching to expand my creative mapmaking to other games. So if there's a goon working on a project or writing something that might need maps I'd love to talk to you. Some examples below. I tend to start most maps in GIS software which is a bit like using a 5lb sledge to drive a finish nail, but I find it really good when the map is based in reality.

I've also had one scenario published (About trying to stop dangerous artifacts from escaping a used car auction), and am slowly working on publishing another (An 80's romp through a cartel-controlled island) , though with the DG license it wont be for profit.

I'm hoping to both broaden my base of games I've mapped for, and to grow creatively.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
There's been a bit of discourse on twitter about pricing (impact of free products on paid and vice versa, reasons for giving stuff away for free, accessible pricing, etc.), so I put together a thread on parallel accessible pricing.

https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1250038840514969603

Here's the details of that thread, but please give it a retweet if you have a twitter account, so more people become aware of this stuff.

-

There's (at least) five different ways to sell stuff at a regular price and have low/no-cost versions at the same time, each iwth their own advantages and disadvantages:
  1. community copies (limited amounts of free copies of the game)
  2. voluntary/opt-in discounts
  3. demo section content
  4. price tiers
  5. regular sales
Some of these only work on itch, because they use features that have historically been much more common for videogame sales platforms.

1) COMMUNITY COPIES
First, you go to the "edit project" page, then open this menu on the right of the project toolbar:

Then, click "New reward". Despite the name, this is a possible way to give stuff away for free (as well as do limited-edition runs, etc.):

Now you can enter the details of your community copies. Set price to $0 (it's gotta be equal or higher than your base price, or 0). Set total quantity to however many you want to start with—I start with 10, then add 1 per sold copy, excluding big bundles and 100%-off sales. (Note: this is the total amount and there's no way to make it automatically track anything. Example: you start with 10 community copies and you have a policy to add one for each copy sold, then someone buys the game (+1), then two people download community copies (-2). The counter will still show 10, and you need to change it to 11, not 9.) You can also add some text explaining the idea of community copies (feel free to copy the text I've used Twilight Song) and change the section title if you want. Here's how all that looks on one of my pages:

2) VOLUNTARY/OPT-IN DISCOUNTS
This one's probably the most involved to set up. This twitter thread (quoted in mine) shows how to do it:https://twitter.com/DeePennyway/status/1175023957369675776Basically you set a create a long-running sale with a decent-sized discount on a game, create a coupon code with unlimited coupons when setting up the sale, then add a notice somewhere on the game's page (preferably near the payment options) with a link to the sale and an explanation of who it's for. Put the coupon code on the sale page so anyone who needs it can get it. Making it coupon-only means the sale doesn't override the regular price, so you basically have two prices at the same time. You'll need to do this separately for every game you want the opt-in discount for, because if you put multiple games in the same sale it'll form a bundle that'll add a widget to the top of each game's page that'll take up a load of space.

3) DEMO SECTIONS
This one's probably the easiest. Just upload files as normal, then take a look at the file upload details and check the 'demo' box:

That moves the file to a different section of the main page (you should probably add a note somewhere in the main body of text, since demos get shunted to the bottom):

I've used this for, among other things: teaser content (like the oracles from Twilight Song), text AP writeups (on The Cromlech Archives), limited-page previews (8-page previews for From Sea to Shining Sea), and earlier or playtest versions of games where the finished or significantly updated/overhauled versions are available at a cost (Pockets full of Stars).

4) PRICE TIERS
You can put up a no-frills version (e.g. sans layout, art, clever formatting and so on, maybe even .txt) at a lower cost or for free, while also having the full version available for the full price. The way you set this up is very simple, as above, but not as clear as it could be. Again, upload the files as normal. Then, check the box marked "Set a different price":

This lets you set a higher price than the base price for the game, basically putting certain files on certain tiers in a roundabout way. For example, if you have 3 files for download, 1 for free and the other two marked as $6, then if someone pays $0-5.99 they can download the free file and if they pay $6+ they can download all three.

5) REGULAR SALES
Probably the most involved option, but also very simple. Pick two prices for your game, a regular one and an accessible one (maybe 33-66% off). Set the higher price as the normal one and regularly do sales where you reduce the price to the lower one.

6) BASE+PWYW
Not included in the tweet thread, but also technically a way to price accessibly: Itch lets you set a base price and a suggested price (check my post about setting up itch projects), which is different from regular PWYW (i.e. free with a suggested amount). In my experience, the majority of people who buy on itch will pay a bit extra if you're selling at base+PWYW and very few people will pay at all if you're selling at 0+PWYW.

Right now my system is basically three tiers:
  • regular price: itch's suggested price.
  • accessible price: itch's base price, 1/6 less than the regular (or, the regular is 20% more)
  • community copies (10 at the start, then 1 per sold copy)
Then I use the demo section for the stuff I mentioned above (previews, tasters, AP writeup files, superceded playtests).

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Also, I'm gonna neaten up the list of people in the third post (and cut down on the details), so if you want to be on the list, say what you do and provide any links for where people can find you and your work e.g. UnCO3/Speak the Sky designs and simulates games ([itch], [dtrpg], [twitter], [patreon], etc.). If you're specifically looking for or offering work (for money or for payment in kind), you can mention that too.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The first case from the first full production run of Budding Heroes has arrived! I had one case sent by airmail, while the rest is arriving by sea in a few weeks. I posted a thread on SA Mart at https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920086 , all the info about the game is up at http://buddingheroes.com/

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
It's cool to see all the creativity here.

I'm not an indie designer anymore as I now work in the board games industry. I designed an app-enabled RPG/Story Game called Weave, then moved mostly into the board game space. I worked on Disney Villainous, Choose Your Own Adventure: House of Danger, Jaws, the upcoming Marvel Villainous and Godzilla: Tokyo Clash games and a bunch of unannounced stuff. I'm genuinely interested in being as helpful as I can to tabletop game designers so I just wanted to pop in here and make myself available for answering questions or being a resource.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Current design ethos: I'm gonna name these spells and that's it, it's up to you and the players to figure out how they work and what they do because this is a rules-light narrative-focused system and I'm not gonna codify poo poo if I don't have to.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Every spell name uses a homograph so it can act like a context sensitive button

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I love using small town South West America maps for games.

I'm running a game around the outskirts of Bullhead City for a Fallout game and it's just chock full of interesting locations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I finally pulled my poo poo together, completed a game, and got it up for sale on itch.io.

It's a short, rules-light, and doomy game about a small group of people at the end of the end of the world.

https://minimum-chips.itch.io/hard-fast-loud

e: Is there a list of goons and other good people to follow on itch? Or can someone tell me some cool people to follow?

e2: It should be up on DTRPG too, but it's not showing up. How long does "request to make public" generally take?

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Apr 15, 2020

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

UnCO3 posted:

Also, I'm gonna neaten up the list of people in the third post (and cut down on the details), so if you want to be on the list, say what you do and provide any links for where people can find you and your work e.g. UnCO3/Speak the Sky designs and simulates games ([itch], [dtrpg], [twitter], [patreon], etc.). If you're specifically looking for or offering work (for money or for payment in kind), you can mention that too.

Hello, I'm Chris and I write/design games of various kinds. itch, DrivethruRPG, Twitter.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

I finally pulled my poo poo together, completed a game, and got it up for sale on itch.io.

It's a short, rules-light, and doomy game about a small group of people at the end of the end of the world.

https://minimum-chips.itch.io/hard-fast-loud

[snip]

e: Is there a list of goons and other good people to follow on itch? Or can someone tell me some cool people to follow?

e2: It should be up on DTRPG too, but it's not showing up. How long does "request to make public" generally take?
Congrats! I find that most of my games go up on DTRPG pretty quickly, though there might have been a delay with my first one. That's not to say every part of their system is quick—I once had to wait a couple days (a week, maybe?) for it to update one of my games with a new cover image I uploaded.

As far as goons on itch.io go, here's a list in no particular order:Almost certainly incomplete, though. As for other people, it really depends in what sort of game content you're after. I follow a mix of designers: for lyric games, story games, big old indie names, some OSR and SWORDREAM people. That said, I'm more likely to follow someone on twitter and follow their game development and releases there (along with other accounts like podcast producers, artists, and other people not necessarily for TG content).

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I'm working on like, a more rules in depth mecha thing, but I feel like it isn't worth it. I'm making it because I love giant robots and RPGs, but It feels a bit like I'm just a shitgoblin stabbing the ankles of giants. It doesn't matter how much effort i put into making the rules good and making it fun to play- It'll just end up being compared to Lancer, and Lancer will always win that comparison because it has an actual artist making it, and players these days care more about Art than anything else.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
On the one hand you're not wrong: Lancer and Beam Saber are going to dominate the mecha genre for years to come. On the other hand you should always have a proper stab at projects like this because if nothing else, you're going to learn something making it. You're going to have an idea for a mechanic or a hook that you can recycle into something else, or you're going to learn how to finish a project, or you're going to pick up some other skill that'll serve you well in future.

Like, the first complete game project I ever made was a hack to let you play D&D in Fate (specifically for Planescape, but it worked for other D&D as well) and I'm not sure anyone ever played it other than me and my playtest groups. But I learned a lot about the construction of D&D adventures, the ways different systems do different things, and the existence of Fatescape helped get me a writing gig with Evil Hat for Gods & Monsters. Which then got me work in other places, which got me more work, and so on.

Similarly, brevity quest is a janky mess, but I've got narrative designer interviews -- and had something to talk about in those interviews -- because it exists and I learned things by making it.

So... make the thing. It'll be worth it one way or another.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
So I'm trying a thing:

https://twitter.com/Ettin64/status/1250640504020238339

Basically, for DOS Games Jam I put together a Star Control-inspired scifi Fate game with a vaporwave theme. I didn't want to spend too much time on it, so right now it's mostly a setting overview, chargen, and 26 pages of aliens/new kinds of human.

If it does well enough to make back art costs, I plan to work on it some more later in the year and eventually turn it into a full game. Let's see if this works :toot:

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Minor correction to a few posts and tweets I made about community copies: you can see who's downloaded community copies (though not only should anyone who's offering community copies not give a poo poo anyway, and not only should publishers respect the privacy of the people who buy their content, itch's terms explicitly prohibit sharing purchaser info).

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

UnCO3 posted:

Also, get on this list

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Finally, for those who're curious, here's the personal data a seller receives in different scenarios on itch:

When you buy a game individually (through a sale or otherwise), the seller receives your:
  • email address linked to the purchase
  • itch username, if you have an itch account
  • nationality
  • IP address*
  • payment method (e.g. paypal, stripe—not your specific details with them, just the service name)
  • source/referrer (the url or domain by which someone arrived at the page)**
When you buy a bundle (solo or co-op), the seller*** receives your:
  • email address linked to the purchase
  • payment method (e.g. PayPal, Stripe—not your specific details with them, just the service name)
  • source/referrer (the url or domain by which someone arrived at the page)**
When you download a reward (e.g. a community copy), the seller receives your:
  • email address linked to your itch account
When you otherwise download a free game, download a PWYW game for $0, or download via a distributed download key, the seller receives:
  • no personal data
*IP addresses aren't as specific as they're often made out to be
**this varies wildly—some places, like twitter and google, only tell you the site; others, like SA, give you the url of the page; this field also includes internal sources like 'the seller's user profile' or 'the download page of another game'
***this includes anyone with content in a co-op bundle; they all have access to analytics

Itch prohibits publicly revealing this info or using it for unrelated marketing etc. Most of it's pretty straightforward. Nationality is there because it adds tax to the purchase for some nationalities due to international tax law, so you can see how much people are having to pay extra. I'd guess IP is there for troubleshooting certain digital games—I can't see why you'd need it otherwise. Side note, I have my itch payouts set up as collected by itch first, one upshot being that anyone who buys one of my products pays itch (via paypal or whatever), and itch sends a payout to me on request. That means I never see anyone's paypal account info.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Apr 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Just published my first piece of content for Trophy Dark, and my second thing for someone else's game overall (first was a Dialect backdrop about tech startup culture):

UnCO3 posted:

I've just published The Paperflesh Advent, an incursion* for Trophy Dark** about mad alchemists, mellified men, and an unearthly flower meadow called the Bleeding Kaleidoscope! It's inspired by old ghost stories, A Field in England, and the apocryphal medicine itself: mellified man, voluntary human sacrifices steeped in honey for a hundred years to mummify and form a sweet medication capable of healing broken bones and more. The scenario takes you into the forest, through the meadow, and under the earth... and that's just the first half. The back end has what I'd like to think is a logically apocalyptic twist.

You can grab it on itch or DTRPG, whichever's your poison.

*scenario
**for those that don't know, Trophy Dark is a rules-light game of dark fantasy and psychological horror about doomed treasure-hunting expeditions into a vast, sinister, and ancient forest, and the motivations and conflicts that bubble to the surface in the wilderness. It recently got big during ZineQuest 2, with a whole bunch of 'Rooted in Trophy' hacks springing up

Here's the launch tweet if anyone has a moment to RT:
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1252286254219177987

I also did all the art myself, which is why it's kinda basic in form, but I'm still satisfied with it for what it is. I had a specific idea in mind, realised I could use very simple techniques to achieve it, and ran with it... not quite in the direction I first planned, but it still worked out.