Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

mila kunis posted:

My neighbourhood is pretty poor and the government has done jack for tenants, does anyone have experience with organizing mutual aid?

I'd like to see some stuff on this too. Me and a buddy were all primed to go canvassing with a nice pamphlet that had what few rights tenants had in my state, contact info for a free legal service, invite them to a follow-up meeting where we talk about what a tenants union is and get something started

then covid 19 hit and welp there goes our plans lol. now it's just him posting rights info on social media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I like having the explanation. Only job I ever had a real union for was on a temp basis so how poo poo like this works is new to me.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress em up, post a link to a donation page for the strike fund here if one gets made

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

THIS IS MY FINAL OFFER is like used car salesman tactics 101 there just trying to make themselves look like victims

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

as state employees it's illegal for them to strike but if they do who's gonna stop them?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

In Training posted:

im on strike today so i shall post in the union thread. found a lot of great resources from this thread early in my workplace's unionization effort, and now my workplace is wall-to-wall unionized and striking for our first contract. collective action ftw.

fuckin a'

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

can't wait for the deluge of terrible opeds from the Washington Post

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

They don't expect anything, all business owners are pissant tyrants who will burn any amount of money to run their business their way. They're like amoebas, they're a no thought to why they're doing what they do, they just react to stimuli and whine when the suffer the consequences of it.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Konstantin posted:

Keep in mind that large corporations are only raising wages because they are forced to, and in the absence of a union contract, they can and will roll back these wage increases at the first opportunity. The only way to secure these gains for the long term is to have them written into a contract.

☝️

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lol @ white woman crocodile tears as a union busting tactic

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Weird how it's been the red districts that seem to unionize first.

Staten Island was a red oasis in New York, now Kentucky.

the reddest state in the country has anywhere from 25 to 35% of it's population vote for the democrats in presidential elections, and that's just the ones who want to cast a vote that objectively doesn't matter. Red state blue state discourse is brain rot

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Chachi posted:

Had my first discussion with a local organizing advocate about unionizing my department. Talked about identifying specific individuals who were open to organizing and previous work she'd done. God help me, what am I getting myself into?

the tide of history, such that you may control it rather than getting swept along

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i mean being forced to admit wrong doing will probably drive most CEOs up the wall but I'd prefer him having to pay restitution out of his wallet to a video

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

hell yeah supply chain issues pt 2, labor boogaloo (brb stocking up on toilet paper)

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

lern2code is incredibly funny since that was arrogant liberal.txt back when it first showed up and now that the market has saturated with people who know how to do basic poo poo it's just another job instead of a hot commodity.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

coders get treated well I insist as Amazon trys to insist that a 20 to 50% turnover rate for white collar jobs is normal, and good.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

wouldn't being a part of the election machine actually give you leverage since threatening to take your ball and go home, or even running your own dudes, be a credible threat

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

love to email the labor organizers with a message proudly announcing my intent to do labor crimes

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

yeah Tesla's response is gonna be ideological so it's gonna probably rack up a lot of slap on the wrist fines instead of just sandbagging

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

if a company sues you for damages it means it's time to intensify the damages

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Lol that owns

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

a trot smearing a union, whoda thunk

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

kingcobweb posted:

I also think the Vibe of this strike was a lot different than 07. writers seemed United.

That, more public support, California on the edge of passing unemployment payments for strikers, they finally couldn't ignore that oh poo poo they actually don't have the upper hand. SAG will probably get a similar deal soon.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

stumblebum posted:

how is refusal to override the veto on this worthless? isnt it an effective way to suppress labor for the sake of capital?

Opposite, the bill means people can get unemployment payments for being on strike, which makes it much easier to organize strikes and keep them going for longer. By vetoing it Newsom once again shows he's somehow the biggest poo poo stain in the California Democrats and by refusing to override the veto the California legislature shows they're a bunch of spineless dipshits

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I'm ultimately trusting some random goon who seemed to know what they were talking about, but supposedly they need a few weeks for the writers to get up to speed so they may feel like they have a few weeks to gently caress around and see if they can grind SAG down. Seems pointless and like they're playing with fire, but I'm not an executive.

It's really dumb because sag is more powerful than the wga. Wga are a bunch of broke writers that nobody outside show super fans pay attention too, sga has big name actors donating to the fund and if they don't show up to a project people notice, just the dumbest strategy

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Eiba posted:

Hello C-SPAM. First post in this subforum, long time lurker. Love you all, but you're kind of scary.

I work in a small town library. Half a year ago I was elected Steward for the municipal employees in my town. No idea what I was doing, hadn't really been involved before, but no one else stepped up. We're a small Union, not associated with any larger organization. I wanted to do what I could.

Immediately I was wrapped up in a consequential grievance- one town department was being asked to do the work of two departments. They tried to reclassify the positions and the Town Administrator sad "lol, no". This issue has been bouncing back and forth between the Town Administrator and the Select Board and the Union as long as I've been Steward here, so I ended up with a pretty solid grasp of the situation.

This last week the town Select Board asked for a meeting. Our Union president said the time for discussion was past, and we should just push through to arbitration. I didn't want to overstep my bounds, but I pressed to attend the meeting anyway. Even if they weren't going to give us anything, we might as well attend the meeting. It would look better during arbitration if we had been consistently open to talking, right?

So thanks to my advocacy, and my advocacy alone, the meeting happened. In the meeting I was able to outline our position cogently, and explain how all the previous offers from Town Administration were bullshit for various reasons. And the Select Board listened. Just tonight we received a counter-offer that gave us everything we were asking for! An entire town department will get paid for their out-of-grade work, thanks to me!

I'm just thrilled, and I want to shout it out into the ether so here I am. This was the only overtly union focused thread I could find when searching the forums, so I hope this is the appropriate place. Unions are awesome!

hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Scandinavian unions are notoriously passive too iirc so lol that musk managed to piss them off this badly