Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Chain probe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

best wishes and support to you all up there

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

What happens if the striking workers refuse to comply with government orders? Haymarket all over again?

my guess is they call the national guard and attempt to force them to comply but something tells me were probably not getting wildcat strikes

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

no strike stuff is what caused us in the IWW to pretty much kick out the 5 turds that pushed that garbage and then we voted it down this year

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1...7u-bd0lpIraMvPc

heres a open letter doc you can sign regarding the railroad strike worth a read more than likely changes nothing but at least it can be used to show how worthless the government is

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i had to re-read that post because i didnt think it was serious

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

poopinmymouth posted:

Little update from Iceland. We are in the middle of negotiations for the private sector (government contracts are in march next year). What could have been a moment of cross union solidarity has fallen, and all unions but mine have tentatively agreed to a poo poo raise and no demands on the government. We'll see how the members vote if they ratify or not, but we're marching on.

Our demands are 3x the raise of the other contracts along with a rent brake in the capital area and equalising the vacation days between private and public (currently private gets only 24 and public 30). The business association's tactic was to find the weakest union, sign with them, then use it as a template to force on the remaining unions. We who haven't capitulated will likely strike in the new year, and it's going to make or break the narrative of if boisterous and uncompromising people are onto something or if we're really the troublemakers without effect that the media paints us to be.

We're following the Jane macalevy concept of big and open negotiations committee, with 35-45 people at every meeting. It definitely messes with the business association, and it helps us be nimble with decisions and not fold on what members need and want. Wild times here on this tiny island, but fun to be right in the middle of it.

very nice best wishes and good luck

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Sorry, capitalist, the exploitable workforce is in another castle."

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

very nice

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it seems like a very weak deal but if they're happy with it i guess if ups folded this easily then ask for way way more or just strike

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

maybe im overstating the unions power here but it seems like they could of gotten a lot more then again when you compare union militancy in the us to elsewhere you see a clear difference

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

yeah, that's half of my feels but also $21 vs $25 an hour is a pretty big gap

its good they got more money but yeah my feeling still remains the same

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

yeah but this is the US. it’s teamsters at UPS, not a hypothetical group of reincarnated Spanish Republicans in the 30s. you have to start somewhere.

this campaign built power, it built their union, it showed workers that they can win good contracts by preparing to strike. imagine it from the POV of a Teamster organizer trying to get people to pay dues in a RTW state.

its good they got a increase and that they built some militancy i still think they should of pushed for more but hey maybe next time now they know they can get them to fold apparently rather easily

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

https://twitter.com/wrkrsstrikeback/status/1684959536443006984

https://www.workersstrikeback.org/wsbwrites-ups-vote-no

Worth a read i was skeptical of the deal but ill let others that know more take a read

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

webcams for christ posted:

from a UAW member who's on their local bargaining committee and was a SA member:

"The two tier system obfuscation is lovely but also, SA just chases movements and I would urge teamsters to get critiques elsewhere lol"

but is there anything wrong itself in that article? i mean fine if we can find better critiques

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

always carry an ice pick

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Congrats

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

strike is looking very likely

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

did they already forget the railroad workers

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

so apparently they're doing a sort of stand up strike and coordinating strikes as needed where needed instead of everyone just striking on day one

i wonder if this will work out better

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

it def sounds interesting and if done correctly it may actually work out even better than everyone at once either way

either way solidarity with all the uaw members

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

yeah i could see it causing a ton of chaos because the automakers have no idea how to plan against it unless someone snitches/leaks.

snitches get stiches

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

lol if they cycle the strike around to different plants it's probably vastly more disruptive to the companies, AND less of a burden on the workers, AND harder for the companies to build any bank of scabs

i hope it works like im imagining

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

MJeff posted:

Hey, I'm a non-union employee at a company where the union is currently striking. I work in-office two days, remote three days. Do I have any sort of right or protection to refuse to cross the picket line?

join the union

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i hope all three of those companies get owned by the union and taken over by the workers

(pipe dream)

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

solidarity

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

theres no negotiations today as well which is nice kinda to show the turds they mean it

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

excellent

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

celebrate if he doesnt veto it like all the other ones

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

i'd bet he signs it. no way he bucks his own party and labor while some of the most famous workers in the country are striking in his state.

maybe doesnt surprise me if he doesnt hes a piece of poo poo

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

oh, zero doubt. the nice thing about complete pieces of poo poo is when you have leverage over them, you usually know what they’ll do.

fair point

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Oglethorpe posted:

biden sent 2 strikebreakers aides to detroit

al jazeera interviewed the most non-camera-friendly striker they could find lmao. they did a decent job though.

like i said in the econ thread as soon as the strike starts lasting too long our buddy weimar joe will get asked if he hasent already (more than likely) to intervene and get it crushed

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the thumb loser should be given 24/7 swirlies

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Lib and let die posted:

he can go on tv again but he has to be stuffed in a locker

ill take it

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

the turds are attempting to hit back apparently

The most ambitious U.S. industrial labor action in decades has halted production at three plants producing the Ford Bronco, Jeep Wrangler and Chevrolet Colorado, along with other popular models.

But by Friday afternoon a ripple effect was felt.

"Our production system is highly interconnected, which means the UAW’s targeted strike strategy will have knock-on effects for facilities that are not directly targeted for a work stoppage," Ford (F.N) said in a statement.

It told 600 workers who are not striking not come to work on Friday and GM (GM.N) told some 2,000 workers at a Kansas car plant that their factory likely would be shut down next week for lack of parts, stemming from a nearby plant being struck.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

there’s no railway labor act for auto workers

that wasent what i was referring to

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

ok so what are you referring to because it sounds like you’re just speculating about the president riding in on a decepticon to blow up shawn fain and getting mad about it

what are you talking about are you incapable of figuring out that theres plenty they can do to influence or coerce a lovely outcome

also yeah that would be pretty cool

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

feels like a massive teamsters strike at one of the largest freight shippers in the country would be a good time for them to exercise that power if they had it and/or were interested in deploying it

no kidding op

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

you got it op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Geight posted:

I'm still learning all this stuff as I go but it seems whack that Ford can do a lockout and in their statement say "this is not a lockout". If management says you can't work today what else is that but a lockout?

its def a lockout and another one of their lovely tactics