Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lolie posted:

I start chemo on Thursday. It's now the official job of this thread to entertain me during two days of chemo each fortnight for the next few months.

What sort of stuff do you find amusing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1WhbvKRQ78

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

There’s people building a new house a couple of doors up. The noise they manage to generate at 7am on the dot is extraordinary.

I had this for loving ages as well, except it was less then 5m from my bedroom window. Used to piss me off because they would start at 7am, then stop for the day at like 2:30. Delay it an hour each end fuckos, and let me sleep.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

It won’t be an issue for me in a couple of weeks when I’m back at work but I’m on holiday time which means I don’t want to wake up early at all if I can help it.

Good luck, I wish I had some good suggestions for you, but nothing I tried worked so yeah, its hosed.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tokamak posted:

Saw a psych for the first time in a while. Said that they have never prescribed a stimulant to a 30-something, gave me a script for an anti-depressant and left it to me if I wanted to reschedule an appointment. This was after going through my history of taking a heap of different anti-depressants that did nothing, and taking a stimulant that did quite a bit. That and a few other awkward things, and I'am sensing that I will not be seeing this psych for long. Which is a shame since It has taken me forever to organise seeing one who can bulk bill me.

Ugh, I hear you. I went through a couple of different psyches before I found one that worked for me. Can you ask your GP for a list of psyches that will bulk bill?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

McSpergin posted:

Eating battered fried pickled jalapeno slices. Highly recommended

I have a bunch of chilli plants just coming into fruit now, and jalapeno poppers are definately in my future.

Also, fermented chilli sauce.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jestery posted:

I learnt that lentils can be made into a beer

Penis chili!

Purple UFO chilli

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

drat possums. How dare they.

I need to learn how to overwinter these ones, because they are growing really well and I don't want to have to start again next year.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Instead of Canberra’s loveable Prime Possum, Perth’s channel seven has some yellow bear fuckwit telling me to go to bed at 7

Wait different states have different animals doing this, wtf?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

hambeet posted:

He covered Simon & Garfunkel's Sound of Silence.

He also remixed John Cage's 4'33

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

gently caress yeah, congrats.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I think as long as they've been on the air specifically as JJ yeah? I remember when digital radio was real shiny and new and they did the original hottest 100 and I assume they would have just knocked out the first few to get to a nice round flashback retro point like 20 years

I want them to do another hottest 100 of all time.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ili posted:

Sounds pretty bloody good mate. Not sure there's anything better than a perfect pepper steak pie.

Steak and cheese pie is the one for me

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Old bloke we made friends with at the pub offered to help us tile our upstairs bathroom and I expected to at least have to help a little bit bc he’s retired and tiles are heavy but the sneaky son of a bitch pointed out some weeds in my front garden right after I offered to carry them upstairs and by the time I’d pulled em out he’d already done the entire job minus grouting and waterproofing wtf

I wish I was as good as anything as this dude was at tiling

Watching old af tradies who have mastered their profession is a very soothing youtube hole to fall down.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Outrail posted:

As is the way of my people, I abandoned ship and moved to Canada. Figured it's the country best able to withstand climate change.

Australia is hosed and I'm really concerned about the huge amount of hyper specialized endemic flora and fauna. It's gonna be a massive extinction event.

We are already in a mass extinction event.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

well why not posted:

I wish we could actually fix the problems here.

The problem is the people, and fixing them is too close to eugenics.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Ain't happening. I get paid to do mandatory work training, or it doesn't get done. End of.

This is the correct option.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jestery posted:

Just lol if you don't make your own

I have been doing some fermented chilli sauces lately, and being able to control the heat levels is a game changer

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jestery posted:

I got some chili seeds from a co worker and they germinated in a day and I'm hoping to get a big crop

Bit late in the season, but I dont know how they will go in qld, so good luck.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Im pretty sure that some of the labels on chilli varieties brought at bunnings are just a guide and not actually the truth, because I have had a bunch of examples where I bought one type and its completely different. One turned out to be a drat capsicum, another is supposed to be a bhut jolokia, but its coming into fruit at the same time as the california reaper, with fruits that look like the california reaper and a growth pattern the same as the california reaper.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

drip tube wont give nearly enough flow rate to blast your anus clean

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BurgerQuest posted:

Ethernet over Power works good too. Throughput might might me lower than wifi but at least latency is stable.

EoP is some sort of wizardry, but sucks if you are in an old house with lovely cabling.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Visible Stink posted:

A mate of mine has been getting into 40k lately after doing it as a teenager. He doesn’t play the game though, he just likes painting the little men to look as cool as possible to display on his nerd shelf, which I think is probably the most sane way to go about 40k if you’re going to do it.

Fwiw, Games Workshop has done a decent job lately of tightening up the ruleset to make the game actually fun, plus are working on being more inclusive and trying to cleanout the neckbeardy dregs that dominated the scene for ages.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

the bathtub is just getting sunk into the ground and turned into a little pond/tank overflow spot, the potatos thing interests me, do you just plant em right down the bottom and build em up over time? I haven't had a successful harvest of em yet but everything online is telling me to build em up with soil as they grow to get nice big tubers otherwise you wind up with sad useless little potatos, i threw a few straight in the dirt around the place to get a feel for what they do just completely unattended, and then I've got a few that I'm actually following the internets advice on

quote:

i threw a few straight in the dirt around the place to get a feel for what they do just completely unattended

quote:

you wind up with sad useless little potatoes

This was the sequence of events for me.

On the plus side, I got some more seed potatoes for the next season.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TBH I put potatoes and pumpkin in the category of "its just cheaper and easier to buy them"

Grow poo poo that gets expensive to buy imo, or is a replenish-able crop, like basil or spinach or lettuce.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

There is also a bit of opportunity cost involved. How much space is taken up by the pumpkins that could be used better by different crops. If its just a space you werent going to use otherwise and you threw some seeds there and ignored them, then yeah, pumpkin is fine. If its a choice between a $2/kg crop and a $30/kg crop, or a crop that stores don't readily sell, I know which one im growing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Hint for anyone chasing hand sanitiser. Go down to your local brew shop, the poo poo they have there should do the trick.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Lolie posted:

Isn't an Instant Pot just an electric pressure cooker? If so, I use mine all the time in winter.

Pressure cookers are amazing for risotto as well.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

stirlo posted:

Same but it’s anything with an Apple logo on it and the cat.. probs some broccoli and coffee too I *guess*

gently caress, I forgot to get enough coffee to get me through working from home.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

EoinCannon posted:

I did a trial WFH day yesterday, we're only a small studio but it's VFX so there's large amounts of data and lots of different software and pipeline issues. Went pretty well cos our IT guy is very competent but mentally I don't really like it. My bike commutes to the office are part of my exercise regime and they separate work brain from home brain really nicely. If it comes to it I have no doubt I'd adapt but I wouldn't do it by choice.

So keep the routine up, and go for a ride around the block then start work when you get back home. That mental seperation can be important.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Is bunnings considered essential? asking for a friend

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

BCR posted:

Who knows, maybe 6 months without pokies will help cut down on problem gambling.

Expecting more than a few oldies to go nuts with online poker though.

Online gambling for real money in Australia is tough enough that I doubt most Olds will be able to work it out.

Well, at least the poker sort is.

NPR Journalizard fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 25, 2020

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jestery posted:

My parents are dropping off the old homebrew kit

Gunna occupy my self these holidays for sure

Put on a batch myself last night. The month long delay sort of sucks, but eh

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

i'm having a panic attack just thinking about how that oval office would handle at 120 with those fuckin antennae tbh

Its the high powered, rear wheel drive car that has gently caress all weight over the back wheels that does it for me.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

McSpergin posted:

Probably making yoghurt or curd cheese (paneer etc) most likely, I can't really say as it's not something my partner does. But yeah, milk heated to 96C then with some Citric acid added will split and you can make paneer or ricotta from it.
That or they've got like 8 kids

easier to use UHT / long life milk imo. Just need to heat to 30something degrees then.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

well why not posted:

just lol if you pay someone to do your beard. Just #1 your neck and #2-4 your face. I used to pay a dude to do it and it was a waste of money tbqh. Clippers are like $30 and don’t break.

Though I do sometimes fantasise about getting one of the really severe Craig David style straight line jobs done as a laugh. Maybe I’ll go to a Turkish barber when lockdown is over.

I have gone through 2 different $30 clippers. Im going to splash out on some exxy ones sooner rather than later, so i can be even more annoyed when those break in less than a year.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Chilli chump viewer?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Youtube channel where a dude grows chillis and makes sauces and other random stuff. He has a fridge he calls the fermentation station.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jestery posted:

Oh, negative I saw this dude and was inspired

https://youtu.be/LqPko6a3Wh4

Ugh, his recipies are good, but i cant stand his character. So smug and smarmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jestery posted:

Yep I'm in the same boat, internet Shaquille does a good job of being brief and fun. But this guy drags it out

I find Alex the french guy much more palatable. He does go on a bit, but its usually pretty good stuff. I have used his sour dough recipe a few times now and its great.