Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

What is even the point of subway?

A step up from a 7-11 sandwich when you can't be hosed making your own.

Also what the gently caress is this Red Rooster place you're all talking about? Is it anything like Red Roo_ter? That's what all the local stores have on their roof sign.

At least before they all started converting the sign to a single piece so people would stop stealing the "s", those cowards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Every subway I've been into in western sydney and the mountains is run by a group of indian people who seem to do a pretty good job of things. The one closest to work consistently has a queue of massive islanders taking the "healthy" option but then loading their toasted sub with gently caress all veg then 3 different sauces. If I go I keep it to turkey and ham with all of the salady things and a sauce. I end up back outside before them every single time.

Subway's something that can only either be good and well-run, or a food poisoning dispenser in need of a health inspector and a flamethower.

The ones around Melbourne are pretty great, the one that used to be near where I live... fell into category B.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Airstream Driver posted:

Rip Vic again.

Tier 3: The whole drat MCG. Except Zone 4. Those mates are top blokes and totally mint.

Huh, why's everyone reckoning they were in Zone 4 at the G last week?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nam Taf posted:

RIP to Paradigm festival, which has an international lineup of DJs planned for a two-day event on the 5th and 6th. Those DJs have been in quarantine for a week now and no doubt were flown out for that at great expense to the organisers. They have contingency to move it to the 12th/13th but at this rate it's fantasy to think a large outdoor festival will occur that soon.

It sucks, not just because these organisers get dicked but because every other organiser will now look at that and go 'gently caress taking on that risk'.

With the spread rate this is going to be a full month at least. It'll take two weeks for cases to pop everywhere, and another two for all the secondary exposures to go in shared housing and the like.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Laserface posted:

its insane that we basically put the country on hold to protect old cunts from dying and now they are snubbing the vaccine program because 'theres no need'

how about we let anyone who wants the vaccine get it, and then they can leave the country as they please. bring the poo poo back and start really killing old people.

Well that's what happens when Scotty from Marketing thinks we need to get the company nation back on-track ASAP and sprung for what was probably the cheapest vaccine they could buy in bulk and keep the company nation's budget in the black so it looks profitable. And, as always, it blew up in ScoMo's face because he's a complete fuckwit.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lolie posted:

I have shingles and I'm miserable.

Well either get off your arse and up a ladder with a hammer, or call a tradie to put them up properly on your roof for you!

Get well soon :ohdear:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lolie posted:

The news out of the Victorian press conference isn't good so everyone needs to get tested if they have symptoms and get jabbed as soon as they're eligible.

The Guardian is reporting that some of the walk in vaccination hubs in Victoria have a 3 hour wait time.

There's no way this isn't turning into a month-long thing at the very least, I reckon. They're downplaying the severity of the viral load in this go-round with how good the contact tracing has been for locating potential infectees (and it has been good, let's be fair), but it can take up to two weeks for people to start presenting symptoms and I'm expecting a whole bunch to pop at once at some point in the coming week.

Bill Posters posted:

Just waiting my 15 minutes before leaving now. Phone reception remains unchanged but Bill Gates won't stop communicating with me telepathically.

I presume you'll know it's good to go when you hear that standard "da-DUN" device-connected chime in your head.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

I think the term was "casual transmission/contact" on the news so I'm guessing it's going to be seconds worth of contact needed for transmission, rather than minutes.

The new brief today has been cases from "fleeting" contact, so it's exactly this by the sounds of it. On the "plus" side it should hopefully put a bullet in companies taking away work from home again, because those existing COVID policies are fuuuucked if even a brief encounter will pass it on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Oh good what will likely be a ~Fleeting Contact~ covid variant decided to hit up NSW. I'm sure nothing bad will come of this.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-01/jervis-bay-and-goulburn-on-alert-melbourne-covid-19-case/100183084

If you're in a state that has a covid outbreak, and you flee to another state to avoid going into lockdown, you might just be a massive oval office.

It's precisely why Victoria locks down everything when we go into lockdown; There's always a bunch who try to skip out on it thinking they'll be fine hunkering down at their holiday home down in Mornington, or out at a holiday location somewhere away from the coast.

And take COVID with them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

The plan to slowly convert Melbourne into a prison seems to be progressing nicely.

See ya in another week :v:

Well if the rest of you had done the same as us and bunkered down instead of half-assing it we wouldn't be in this mess now :colbert:.

And yeah, here is my surprised face that the lockdown's going for another week :geno:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lolie posted:

Why is everyone blaming Victoria when this outbreak originated in South Australia?

Sky News doesn't like Dan Andrews, and Victoria at-large, having a competent plan to manage COVID infections that makes the Liberals look like fumbling idiots at the Federal level. So sayeth Rupert Murdoch!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bill Posters posted:

Thank gently caress, the kids get to go back to school on Friday....

It's not a good sign though IMO; If they thought this would be just an extended circuit-breaker they'd probably just have people tough it out another week for consistent messaging. Trying to make it more flexible like this means they see this going a while and don't want to upset too many people.

The student thing seems like an invitation to another super-spreader too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bill Posters posted:

I disagree. They've never historically given that much of a poo poo about making regional areas happy. Why start now?

If they don't give a poo poo about making the regional areas happy, why bother accommodating them like this if it's going to be just another week in lockdown?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Scottie from Marketing - "I take responsibility for the decision we took as a nation"

Translation: "It's the state's fault, not mine, SPIN SPIN SPIN *SMOKEBOMB*".

Can we just tie him to a motor and power the nation that way? He might actually make a meaningful contribution to Australia for once.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Four new cases today isn't too bad *Checks notes* ...of the Delta Variant from India, in a school? :stonk:

Bill Posters posted:

It's to be built in Vic. MoU has been signed apparently.

Scummo will have put it here because A: it's newsworthy and B: he thinks we can un-gently caress the mess if there's a breach, and C: It's something else he can blame on Dan Andrews if it goes wrong.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jun 4, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lolie posted:

That's ... worrying. It means it's been in the community undetected. Which means we failed to detect it in hotel quarantine.

The leading theory is the family that popped up to NSW tracked it back with them rather than it starting here.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Where the gently caress has this come from? :psyduck:

I thought the only active cases were from the Kappa Variant that broke containment.

That's pretty much what the news said too :v:. The short version is it SEEMS to be the family that popped up to NSW's for a sneaky vacay. Though of course that just raises further questions.

The real concern is it potentially got into a school in North Melbourne, and the Delta variant IS one that can do a number on kids as well as adults, so there's 300-odd students now waiting to find out if they've got it :ohdear:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nam Taf posted:

Blows my mind that they’re still not mandating vaccines to aged care workers.

Also holy gently caress so many boomers are so bad at wearing masks on flights. They’re forever dicknosing or just outright pulling it down under the guise of drinking even when they nurse a drink for an hour. :bgc: except Lolie she’s cool

Lol, that's not just a flight thing. I've seen SO MANY boomers walking around dicknosing their masks. Even a couple with the faceshields before the mandate, thankfully, came down that those are a no-go.

Also dicknosing is a loving brilliant description.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

I'm quitting my public service job on monday. Any suggestions?

Do like your avatar to your boss on your last day when you say "THANK YOU!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Oh you guys didn't get to go for a playdate organised by your parents to intentionally get you infected with chickpox?

I've got real fun memories of having a bath and then getting slathered in calamine lotion for like a week straight, and I also remember having some random neighbourhood kids coming over to our house as well.
loving 80s parenting tactics..

I was the "lucky" kid to share the itchiness around for one of those in the early 90's :shepface:.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McSpergin posted:

Off to Bunnings to get a new toilet seat because I was sitting on the outermost cover bit (the one you close the toilet with not the seat) and it fuckin broke into 3 pieces

Got a floor mostly sanded back to bare timber, probably half a metre of the bit around the edge to go. Backs cooked.

Made some loving SICK corned beef last night with Yorkshire pudding and roast veggies and cauli bake.

Mate I'm not surprised ya cracked the dunny, eating all that meat. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EoinCannon posted:

Probably, it's a bit different if all those cases today are already isolating though

Yeah, I'm typically the first get worried about it but all the known cases that've popped are expected ones. The big increase was all from that aged care facility, and while that's worrying for it's own reasons it's accounted for already and contained.

The real news is Scummo and Gladys wanting the VIC lockdown lifted ASAP and harping on about how NSW is able to isolate just a small part of Sydney when they had a lockdown, and no-goddamn-poo poo a much larger and wider-distributed state and city can lock down individual parts of itself, you loving idiots. When we did that here, the rich folk just made for their summer homes in Mornington and took COVID with them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
"By the way, this is the full name, age, and profession of the person solely responsible for bringing the app into Australia".

"He might want to give himself up to the feds, just saying..."

Laserface posted:

e: they are announcing it today to distract from the vaccine rollout and the lockdown, and scotty from marketing had about as much to do with it as you or I, so it makes sense hes taking the credit for it.

Marketing always takes the credit for the work other people do. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Fuckin stay in your state if there's an outbreak in it, gently caress sake cunts how hard is it?

Lol, what happened now? Someone make a break for it out of Victoria?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Dumb gently caress left Victoria after lockdown started, travelled to NSW, and then ended up in Queensland.

Also she visited ~All The Places~ so please enjoy the NSW & Queensland contact lists.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/covid-19-alerts-for-nsw-after-victorian-travels-through-state/100202420
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-09/queensland-covid-exposure-sites-list-announced-positive-case/100202484

How is it any time there's an outbreak like this they have a whole day-trip itinerary to infect people with? It's never just "stopped in at Woolies between 4:20pm and 4:40pm", it's always this whole winding trip of shops, cafes, and bars throughout the day just to make sure COVID gets as many places as possible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Humphreys posted:

This bullshit is why the media should be naming and shaming. you wanna be THAT fuckwit that travels two states and go to BUNNINGS on your 'holiday'? You deserve to be dragged through the broken glass. Fucken oval office.

While it's generally a good move not to name-and-shame for accidental infections and the like, for sheer utter dumbfuckery like this they should have her name and photo headlining on newspapers and news sites because she's hosed over two states and potentially killed people.

edit: Hope anyone on the east side of Victoria's doing alright tonight, because the AusNet outage map is lit up like a christmas tree :eyepop:.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Jun 9, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Oh goody; There's another Mystery Outbreak in Victoria, this time it's a family of four in Reservoir that's completely unrelated to any of the infection sites. It's curious they haven't said which variant it is, though hopefully it's just more Delta and not another Kappa appearance.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

Whoever is running quarantine down there needs a smack upside the head

The way these things go, I'd say even-odds whoever was responsible for the last big outbreak never got fired or punished, and it's the same person's fault again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bill Posters posted:

I don't think it's a matter of who's in charge. Just the simple fact that hotels are loving useless as quarantine facilities. There's only so much that can be done in terms of processes to minimise transmission and even then every lesson learned goes out the window when newer more infectious variants arrive.

If anyone needs a smack it's the smirking fuckwit and his mates from Canberra who haven't bothered to do their jobs and build a proper quarantine facility.

We could charge a buck a slap and pay out COVID business losses in a day.

Airstream Driver posted:

Send them back to Vic imo.

gently caress no, we don't want those super-spreading fuckwits back.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lolie posted:

Because of course they did.

That's not really a surprise, the only two variants running around Melbourne are Delta and Kappa atm. We're somewhat lucky it was the Delta variant and not Kappa.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bargearse posted:

There were a couple of shameful anime cars covered in Fate Stay Night vinyls that often parked just down the street from my old place in Mitcham. I think I posted one of them here a while back.

Those must surely be the ones that get displayed at every years' Anime Festival at Jeff's Shed like clockwork.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Laserface posted:

It is incredible how America basically nearly imploded and was the poster child for how to not handle covid and now we are in fact the poster child on how to not handle covid.

That's what happens when you put someone competent in charge instead of a complete fuckwit.

Maybe we can follow suit one day.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

birdstrike posted:

Gladys lock me down pls mommy

What, use a Labour initiative? How dare you even consider the idea! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Lol, no cases from the Typhoid Couple, but Sydney's picked up its own home-grown Delta Strain outbreak via a limo driver and what looks to be an international flight crew. Let's see how Gladys tries to spin this one onto Victoria and Dan Andrews...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ili posted:

I've no idea why anyone would be letting Victorians in at the moment.

Because the poor airlines need bailing out and we gotta jump-start ~The Economy!~

Also I love the whole "we're urging everyone to get vaccinated!!" declarations, like interest is the problem here and not ScoMo loving up availability.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 18, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Infinitum posted:

https://www.nsw.gov.au/covid-19/businesses-and-employment/tourism-support-package

It's the same as they are now I believe - Dine & Discover/Entertainment

Can only be used on Fridays or some horseshit?

Encouraging people to go out in the middle of a nascent COVID outbreak seems like a bad idea to me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EoinCannon posted:

Masks have been compulsory on PT in Melbourne for like a year now, before this outbreak people were getting very slack about wearing them. Some train cars were like 50/50

My favourite bit with the trains recently was someone's loving genius idea at Metro Trains to route the Southern lines (the busiest lines in the state) via bus from one of the Eastern line stations during a crossing works weekend, instead of direct from Flinders St like literally every prior time. While Supanova was running at the Showgrounds, no less.

If someone had been COVID-positive on those days they'd only have exposed half the state to it instead of the southern suburbs. Sterling mitigation efforts there!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Melbourne's Supanova dodged the COVID outbreak for a second year in a row, I'm curious as to how Sydney's will fair this year happening right in the middle of an outbreak :yikes:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Do they not understand asymptomatic carriers? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The COVID couple got punished with... *checks notes* a $4003 fine for putting thousands of lives and businesses at risk for their own personal roadtrip.