Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST posted:

Apologies in advance that this is a fragment of a memory of a film, but something where someone is being observed/tracked by a chain smoker and the protagonist sees a shitload of cigarette stubs in one spot (hallway? street corner?) to indicate they've been there all night?

edit: I want to say that this was in a neo-noirish dark comedy but I really can't remember anything about the plot or setting. I'm dreading it being something I was huge on and have somehow forgotten.

I think the Naked Gun had the gag where there was a waist high pile of peanut shells on the outside of a stake out car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Alright, I'll throw one out there that may or may not be real. The scene is of a character walking in some sort of a tomb/dungeon/etc. when the floor crumbles beneath them and they nearly fall through. We are then shown the reverse shot beneath them of a much larger hidden cavern with a completely different layer of the tomb/dungeon/etc. with the real path forward inside of it. The hidden space was a long rock bridge over a deep cave/chasm that led to a door or exit on the other side, and there may have been a dais on the bridge that held some kind of artifact.

This would have been mid-90s or before. I remember associating it with the Indiana Jones films as a kid, but later realized that the sequence wasn't in any of those films. It's possible that it's from another type of film, possibly a medieval movie or fantasy or even a cartoon, but I remember it as live-action. There were enough Jones ripoffs and parodies over the years that it easily could have been from one of those, or even more likely it could just be my child mind combining the "Word of God" and the "Leap from the Lion's Head" sequences of Last Crusade together. The latter seems most probable, but when I think back to the sequence in my head it's significantly different from those individual sequences.

Could be from the cartoon video game "Dragon's Lair"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Clowner posted:

For the new page:

Could it have been a ESPN 30 for 30 doc? Netflix used to have them.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Mooseontheloose posted:

Also, while I am here I guess, there was another movie where the first five minutes is this guy trying to escape the woods and gets skewered by someone as he is about to escape while he is traveling through like a pond or bog or something. The movie is basically most dangerous game type of movie but with corporate assholes hunting people but back in the late 80s or early 90s.

Hard Target or Surviving the Game?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I'm sure there's been plenty of times when people have posted a detailed description of something that turned out to be nothing at all like what they remembered :v:

I once posted trying to find a cartoon I had seen as a child, and another poster found it, except it was a picture book and not a cartoon.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Looking for a vaguely anarchic parody comedy from the 80’s about a high-school reunion menaced by a serial killer. Had a kind of ‘Porky’s’ vibe to it.

National Lampoon's Class Reunion

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

In the novelization they say "Wow" :eng101:

I have no idea why I own the Spies Like Us novelisation but there you go

Everyone should check out this Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/tied_in_film

Posts various movie novelizations from over the years.

https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1264226375700869121?s=20
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1264609791541825536?s=20
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1270743451760357376?s=20
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1271530469096472576?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

deety posted:

I have two different novelizations of Capricorn One. Found them in the same used book store a couple of weeks after seeing the movie and I was assuming that one was the book the movie was based on and the other was a novelization. But nope. Both were published as tie-ins for the film; they just put one out in the US and another in the UK for some reason.

Nice timing
https://twitter.com/tied_in_film/status/1280161716081266688?s=20

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Zopotantor posted:

That guy has GORE VIDALS'S CALIGULA on his bookshelf and he chooses to display... Capricorn One?

You would have him display GORE VIDALS'S CALIGULA over something called CARQUAKE?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

There was the 1990 film "Streets" starring Christina Applegate as homeless prostitute targeted by a killer cop.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100707/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

I have a really annoying one that has been stuck in my head for the past few days.

The scene in my head is either one or two guys taking a taxi journey. At the end of the trip, the taxi driver gives some massively overpriced fare. His reasoning being that's what is says on the meter. At which point one of the guys rips the meter from its housing, shakes the meter which then goes down to the proper price. The taxi driver says something to the effect of "The meter lied. It's a lying meter".

In my head the guy ripping the meter out is Arnold Schwarzenegger. Am I right in that? any clues?

Police Academy 3: Back in Training. It was Bubba Smith doing it after a foreign cadet gets dropped off.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 4, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I think this fits in this thread, a fun little blog post about an author trying to remember a film he had scene as a child:

https://ianfarrington.wordpress.com/2020/08/17/the-loss-and-rediscovery-of-frog-dreaming/

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Budget Dracula posted:

I've been trying to think where I have seen this scene or if it even existed. I always thought it was from Rambo II but have never been able to find it online. The movie was definitely of that one man army vein of Rambo, Missing in Action, etc...

"The main character is being shown his equipment before a mission. They get to his gun which looks 80's futuristic/tactical because it has a big scope on it. Someone explains to him how fancy/big deal it is in which he scoffs at it noting an AK-47 would be more preferable to where he is going."

I always thought this was from Rambo II because he does load up a gun like that (HK94A3/MP5A3) that even has a the goofy scope. Another reason I thought it was Rambo II is because the quip about not wanting it plays up with him losing it whilst jumping out of the airplane. However, I've never been able to find the scene anywhere so maybe it was from a different film or I dreamt it all up.

Do you ever read Punisher comics? Because I'm fairly certain this is from a Punisher comic.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 10, 2020

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I feel like this was a James Bond movie. Person gets into a pod, zips along a pneumatic tube to his destination. Pod door opens and a person standing there says "Welcome to Vienna" or maybe he said Austria. He may have followed it up with "Mr. Bond". I could also be imagining or conflating things.

The Living Daylights

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

When you say The Crazies, to you mean the original or the remake?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

The Book of Henry?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Maybe Class of 1999? Or it's sequel?

Or Class of Nuke 'em high?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gripweed posted:

That's it! drat, I never would've guessed it was a Halloween movie. I guess that franchise goes unexpected places

Not to Space ... yet

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Adam West's Batman could take out an entirely biker gang, either with his fists, or a sternly delivered lecture about the merits of lawfulness :colbert:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Want to say it was a Disney film, or at least shown on one of those "Wonderful World of Disney" programs. I think it was set in the early 1900s (but maybe not), and it was about a couple of kids who maybe live in/near a swamp, and they build a fake "Loch Ness" style monster that they paddle around in, possibly as a way to scam money by taking photos of the "monster"

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Bless you

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

It would never have occurred to me that Bach has an imdb page, his agent puts in work I guess :v:

Hitler has an IMDB page

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

drat a friend asked me about this one, it's not the Time Machine

"I don't remember the title, but it involved pale, ape-like people who worshipped (?) a monolith of sorts that could shoot lasers. The main character was a standard hero archetype, and he had a lady that he resuced from the ape-people (?). At the film's climax they run up the mountain to the monolith and have it zap the ape-people to death"

They said also it was most likely and 80s movie and looked super cheap.

Edit: it's not Congo either that was the first thing I thought of with monkies + shot with a laser lol

Beneath the Planet of the Apes?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

General Venereal posted:

Thanks a bunch - the pirate in question was African-American, but he was a whole bunch slimmer.

"The 100 Lives of Black Jack Savage"?

In the TV pilot movie he was played by Stoney Jackson, when it went to series, he was replaced with Steven Williams

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Astrochicken posted:

This movie I think about every now and then and I saw it a bunch of times when I was very little which is wildly inappropriate in hindsight. there's a haunted house ? a man snorts a lot of cocaine and gives a woman an orgasm with his mind. Uhh There's also a black mammy housemaid or something.

Agreed. That's definitely Modern Problems

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

A character grudgingly says "Doesn't matter. Still counts." after getting shown up.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I'm thinking Gimli and Legolas in the LOTR trilogy, e.g. "That still only counts as one!" after Legolas takes down an olyphant and all the men riding it in ROTK.

Thanks, but it's definitely not that.

I'm beginning to think it was from a tv show

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 26, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Just remembered; from the Doctor Who episode "Mindwarp". Brian Blessed uttered the line. (or something similar)

But thanks everyone who made suggestions! Appreciate it!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

World Famous W posted:

Reasking again

One of the Thunder Ninja Kids series?

(I know this was asked 6 months ago, but a movie poster for one popped up in my twitter feed and I just thought of this thread)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Or perhaps National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1

One I'm looking for. Can't remember if it was from a Sketch Comedy (like SNL, MadTV, etc) show, or part of a show like Community or 30 Rock, but it was "documentary" about the making of a Hollywood Musical. A black and white musical, with a nautical theme, and just how the production kept going off the rails, and in the end, the resulting film was so offensive, it was never shown.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 22, 2021

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Daddys Boy, in the show Unbreakable Kimmy Schmitt? First link I could find, someone appears to have filmed their TV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1CyJCl24A

YES! Thank you! :salute:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Could the hitman film be "Most Wanted"?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Don't remember it being good, no reason to remember this but it just popped into my head -- one of those ~2010s terrorism movies that thought it was smart by not being 24, gist was a joint European/American investigation into a Muslim guy with a like shipping company in Germany suspected of financing extremist groups. Ending was they bait him into signing some document that proves to them that he's knowingly involved, and all the Europeans intend to surveil him to further uncover this network but the Americans immediately grab him off the street, toss him in a van presumably to take him to a black site. Don't remember a single person in it to look it up by.

Kind of sounds like "A Most Wanted Man", particularly the ending. Stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bewilderment posted:

This one I think is gonna be pretty easy to get.

War on terror era movie, like 2005-2015. It is not The International despite the fact that I thought I remembered Clive Owen as the hero.

The hero and heroine(?) are on the run from the authorities as they try to clear the name of this one other guy. At the end of the movie they succeed and then while they drive away with him, US agents ram their car and abduct him anyway.

A Most Wanted Man?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

bewilderment posted:

Yeah this is it, thanks.

Funny thing is, someone asked about that very same film just a month earlier!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I’m trying to remember an actor, but I can’t think of his name or anything he’s been in specifically and it’s driving me nuts. He’s a character actor, not a leading man type, and I feel like he usually plays bad guys or at least smarmy types. He’s got one of those kind of tight faces, usually wears glasses and is balding. Kind of reminds me of a skinny John Carroll Lynch. Please help

Mike O'Malley?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I've never watched the office, for some reason I can picture Sam Elliott saying it so it might be a western?

Sam Elliot popped up on Parks & Rec!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I think it could be from his role on Justified actually, might need to rewatch all six seasons just to check :v:

Well, it does sound like a line from Justified

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Quick, I need a list of every movie prominently featuring a Monsignor!

Police Academy, with Monsignor Dr Larvell Jones.

He may have been making his title up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

gey muckle mowser posted:

Thinking of a scene where a character gleefully describes the process of mummification to others, specifically the bits about using a hook to pull the brains through their noses. Everyone is really grossed out.

My partner thought this was maybe from an Indiana Jones movie but I’ve watched them all recently and it doesn’t happen in them. I also don’t think it’s The Mummy or any other mummy movie. Ring any bells?

It's the first Mummy movie; Evie is describing the process to Rick and Jonathan.