Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I posted this in the last thread but got no answer. I saw this on TV in South Africa probably in the late 80s. It's a colour film, contemporary. Two boys are orphaned. The state has no idea what to do with them so they are sent to a youth correctional facility. It's hellish. At night the bad kids slide on on their backs along the floor to rape/beat other kids, pulling themselves along using the metal bars under the beds. One morning one kid won't get up. A guard comes to investigate. When he pulls the sheet off we see that the mattress is soaked in blood. As a young teenager (maybe even younger) this film REALLY freaked me out.

I've got another that I saw probably around 1985. May be Escape from the Bronx? It's post-apocalyptic. Groups of soldiers dressed in silver full-body outfits are flushing people from apartments with flamethrowers. Again, freaked me out. I was too young to see that. (I blame the friend who's parents owned a video shop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Crow Enthusiast posted:

It's called Escape 2000. But it should be called LEAVE THE BRONX

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y8SvVoo3P8

That’s it! Thanks. It really stuck with me, and not in a good way!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Thanks but that's not it. I am pretty sure mine was a US film. I should have said.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Vier posted:

I feel like it was much more modern than that.

A long shot and it’s in colour (you haven’t given us much to go on!): There Will Be Blood?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Lester Shy posted:

There's this scene in the movie Contact (1997)

And I'm thinking of a scene in another movie that takes place in an extremely similar room (or maybe the exact same set) but while the meeting or hearing is taking place, an explosion happens outside the window on the left. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

It’s a different set, but maaaaybe Homeland?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

What's the movie where the husband poisons his wife by putting something in her shampoo? In one scene I believe the police come to his house and as they're outside he deletes a whole bunch of folders off his computer. Not newer than late 90s I don't think.

Lethal Vows?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yes, all I did was google “film husband poisons wife’s shampoo”. It was the first result. The search engines they have these days are remarkable. You should try one sometime!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Oh yeah?? Well try cracking THIS Rosetta Stone, tough guy!

If I can’t google it I can’t help you!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Chairchucker posted:

Try cracking this one too!

Animation or live action?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

feedmyleg posted:

You think that's bad? I have an IMDB page.

Me too. :smug:

AND I'LL NEVER LET YOU ALL FORGET IT.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That sounds like a Leslie Nielsen and/or Mel Brooks-style genre parody movie.

I am pretty sure it’s from a Naked Gun film.

Then again, there is this from Loaded Weapon

https://youtu.be/iOEgtJBjMlU

therattle fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 22, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

PeterCat posted:

An early 90s neo-noir that has a female crime boss choke out a cop with her legs while she's handcuffed in the back of a car and he's driving.

Romeo is Bleeding, I believe. Trashy.

https://youtu.be/utFeHmJ1iUw

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

WHY BONER NOW posted:

This is a reasonable guess; I think it's the last Muppet thing I've seen. I remember being impressed by the Muppet's motion as it grabbed the velvet rope and unhooked it...I'll have to check!

I’m pretty sure it’s this. It’s Mary, Gary and Walter visiting the abandoned Muppets studio. (My son likes the film, and rightly, so I’ve seen it a LOT).

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Oh my god, this. I haven't seen that particular movie all the way through, but if y'all had a question about Minecraft Story Mode, I feel like a goddamned encyclopedia at this point. :psyduck:

Oh, I can do this for a number of films! Luckily he has decent taste for a kid.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Akuma posted:

Is there a thread for talking about the stuff your kid watches endlessly? Because I would post in that. I've definitely thought far more about certain pieces of media than the creators did just to make up my own head cannon and stay sane.

I’ve thought about making a kids’/family film thread. I should.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

VagueRant posted:

The murder details kinda line up and this DID make me uncomfortable, but none of the imagery I can vaguely picture is in there, and I feel like I would've remembered it randomly cutting to a screaming Ralph Fiennes?

Sidenote, that movie sounds super weird! It was Kathryn Bigelow? Is it meant to be any good?

There's a scene where someone gets their head smashed into a mirror in one of the latter ones, but aside from being kinda backstage from a public venue and having glass around them, it's definitely not a match.

Strange Days is really good. I haven't seen it for years but I remember it as being excellent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trevor Hale posted:

Bit of a departure from the norm but I’m trying to remember a music video from 1998-2003 where the defining image in my head was that the drummer (who I picture being in a warehouse or other open space like that) had red drumsticks which stood out against the black backdrop.

I could’ve sworn this was David Gray’s “Babylon”, and that’s definitely the vibe of the song. In my memory, it wasn’t a band it was just a dude’s name. Also I’m pretty sure that the drum part that focused on the sticks was him hitting the rim and not the actual skin of a snare drum.

Thanks!

edit: it totally was Babylon. Google provides the official video which was the first one filmed around London. He made a different music video when the song became a single in the states but it looks like that one isn’t as popular on the ol’ search engines

The thread cracks another case. Well done, fellows!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SiKboy posted:

Is it Severance (from 2006)? I think its one of the stories they tell each other about the lodge before they start to get attacked. A surprisingly good horror comedy for the record, despite having Danny Dyer in it.

Harold Pinter cast Dyer in several of his plays.

I worked on Severance (on the sales side.). Decent film actually. If you like that kind of thing.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

codyclarke posted:

I know it's not 80s or 90s but this sounds like Tears of the Black Tiger, which definitely could be mistaken for 80s or 90s.

I was going to suggest that too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

https://youtu.be/1PaxLSxQblM

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Simpsons, "The Last Temptation of Homer", about the lady at the power plant he has a crush on, Mindy.

“Oh Mindy, you came and you found me a turkey, on my vacation away from worky”
(Quoting from memory so might be slightly off)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

It's actually 'Oh Margie...' for that one. He sings a different lyric about Mindy/Andy earlier, and then at the end, when he and Marge are in the hotel room together, he sings it about Marge. This discussion made me want to rewatch it, so I did.

Sheeeit, you're right, of course. I conflated the two. Marge finds the turkey that fell there when he and Mindy were there previously, right? I haven't seen it for years.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hannibal Rex posted:

Either a Terrence Hill/Bud Spencer movie, or some older physical comedy:

In a brawl, the hero wheel his arm in an exaggerated manner, only to punch his opponent with his other one.

Is there not a scene like that in “Top Secret!”?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hannibal Rex posted:

https://youtu.be/MfRi-a8hPh0&t=1m25s

Yeah, that might be it. If anyone can remember similar scenes, let me know.

The clip isn’t playing but I’d love to see it! Is it the underwater bar right?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Hannibal Rex posted:

That's awesome. Hilarious that it worked in real life.

Yeah, that's the one. Maybe it works for you without the timestamp?

https://youtu.be/MfRi-a8hPh0

Ahhh, that’s the good stuff.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Xiahou Dun posted:

Call and raise, sir.

Or even checkmate.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It’s definitely that, with Gerard Depardieu. That Thank Heaven For Little Girls scene is very funny; I still remember it from when I first saw it.

I’m not 100% sure that film would get made today…

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Manchurian Candidate maybe?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Torquemada posted:

Very 60’s and in black and white, probably not that.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056218/
There was a B&W version in 1962

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Trevor Hale posted:

Yeah, but I am very stupid.

(I see how I hosed up now.)

You’re not alone.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sir Nose posted:

Twilight Zone episode "The Invaders". The set-up is the woman is in a remote farmhouse fighting these little aliens who crashed on her roof. The twist is at the very end we learn that she is not an earth woman fighting tiny aliens, rather we're on another planet and she is a giant alien woman fighting earth astronauts.

[stoned voice]. Whhhoooaaahhhh.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Does anyone know what film scene where a character say something like “then you’re no use to me!“? It may be goldmember, but I can’t find that clip anywhere.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Funny but not that!

Pilchenstein posted:

Never seen Goldmember but the first thing I thought of was the bit in Payback where Mel Gibson asks the guy who double-crossed him if he has a light, the guy replies "no" and Gibson says "then what good are you?" and shoots him.

Hmm. Don’t think so but thanks. It is in my head as a comedy. Maybe I imagined it…

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Davros1 posted:

Hitman?

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/2cb5c8d6-7f59-4a27-8838-f35ae45e8616

But it seems like a common trope; the bad guy tries to get something out of a heroic ally or someone, they refuse, then the villain says "then you're no use to me"

Never seen it. May have been “then you’re no good to me”, but perhaps it’s imagined.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Maybe Get Shorty when delroy lindo offered to help Travolta

Huh. Maybe. Thanks!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Alan Smithee posted:

white noise?

Pretty sure that’s correct.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

freebooter posted:

Was also going to suggest this.

Missing salt more than anything else reminds me of the Lykov family.

Yes! Me too.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SimonChris posted:

I remember reading about an old choose-your-own-adventure movie from the 60's or 70's, where they only filmed one outcome and just told everyone that this was what the majority had chosen. People would hold up signs with their choice in the theater, and the screen would say something like "you chose option A!" and then continue showing the movie. Since this was a garbage b-movie, no one watched it more than once anyway. I think Roger Ebert wrote about it, but I can't remember the title.

Edit: The closest thing I can find is Kinoautomat, in which the ending was fixed, but there was genuine interactivity during the movie. I distinctly remember this being an American b-movie, though.

That sounds like a classic William Castle gimmick, so I looked up William Castle and it looks like it’s Mr Sardonicus

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Nah, that's the wrist mounted rocket launcher one. This very specifically had a thing pulled from a costume and thrown to kill the villain.

i initially read your post as "pulls a thing from a cow" and thought that it would be very easy for someone to identify. Now I am disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ellie the beep posted:

movie request from my wife who swears it isnt harold and maude but cannot really pin down anything better

seen on late night german television somewhere in the mid-90s to early 2000s at latest, but was definitely post reunification - and shes pretty sure the setting of the movie was contemporary, hence ruling out h&m

features a younger guy somewhere around his twenties getting into a fairly racy or
even explicit relationship with a woman two or three decades his senior.
she's unclear how they come to spend time together, and she has an impression of an exotic, maybe south american maybe french influence but she doesnt know if thats really part of it or if shes mixing up other stuff she watched on late night german television as a teen

The Mother (2003) with Ann Reid and Daniel Craig?