Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Eat My Fuc posted:

The unprettier always sucks

Yeah, it always felt like it was needlessly convoluted. The best finishers are the ones that can just come in out of nowhere, and the most complicated set-up should be a kick to the mid-section like the Stunner.

Edit: and since I mentioned finishers, and because we all know that Charlotte is going to beat Rhea Ripley clean at WrestleMania and tap her out, can I just say that I loving HATE the Figure Eight. Get to gently caress with that poo poo.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Feb 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Finishers should only be complicated when it's part of a storyline like when Disco Inferno had to refer to notes when applying a hold.

TheKingslayer posted:

Holy poo poo is this Saturn doing the Overdrive?

See? It doesn't even look good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Honestly, submission holds are the only ones that you can get away with a bit of set-up, since "can they apply the move?" is absolutely good fodder for drama. A move built around a slam shouldn't be that complicated.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wezlar posted:

Nah, Kenny trying to get people set up for the OWA is consistently good.

Edit: drat beat to the OWA example

I would like to introduce the "Electric Chair Set-up Clause," which clearly states that electric chair set-ups are good and cool, and therefore exempt from the "Keep It Simple, Stupid" rule.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Lol with AJ, Roode, Eric Young, Abyss, etc they can do a way better TNA tribute show than Impact had been able to throw together

Didn't HHH once say that there wasn't anyone on the TNA roster that WWE wanted?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Neodoomium posted:

who in god's name is riddick moss

Former college football player that couldn't make the cut in the NFL and did pro-graps because XFL wasn't a thing yet. He was in a tag team with Tino Sabbatelli in a "we're rich lads" gimmick, before the team split up due to injury. I guess it makes sense that he was paired with Mojo Rawley, but hey, apparently new tag teams have to break up immediately, because god forbid the guys in the lower card have something to do at any point whatsoever. Can't be havin' that, lads.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Never been a massive fan of Bianca but watching the Royal Rumble, the quality of the match dipped immediately after she was eliminated. And she deserves waaaay better than playing third wheel in this Rhea/Charlotte nonsense.

I felt the match quality dipped as soon as loving Charlotte turned up and sucked the air out of the room, but your point still stands. Honestly, Shayna should have won that one, but no CHARLOTTE MUST WIN, LOL BACASE SHE AM GENTIKLEE SOUP REAR. gently caress off.

coconono posted:

This is something WWE always does. They position a character to be an underdog and either forget that they've done that or figured the audience doesn't get it enough so they do it again. The end result is the character looks like a stupid loser all the way until a fluke win happens and we're supposed to be like yay rudy you won the play(we lost the game, fuckin rudy).

Case in point the Rey Mysterio WHC run in 2006. "Greatest underdog champion of all time" indeed.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Feb 27, 2020

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

karmicknight posted:

Who the gently caress is Tino Sabbetelli.

Former football man, who apparently sucked poo poo at it despite making the NFL, who has a million-dollar look and about 10c worth of skill in the ring.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

She is SUPPOSED to be the top babyface. But her outstandingly lovely promos, average ringwork and having little charisma puts her below several other women.

Bianca Belair and Io Shirai, who are SUPPOSED to be heels, get a stronger and more positive reaction than Rhea.

Nothing about Rhea Ripley comes off as authentic, and she looks like what some corporate suit thinks is "hardcore" or whatever. "This is my brutality." gently caress off, you look like you listen to nu-metal.

Even her music loving sucks. Now Dakota Kai's heel theme? Now that's entrance music you can set your watch to.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

When a face gets beaten up, no one comes to save them. Nor do they ever come to save a victim of an assault. Unless you're Kevin Owens, Samoa Joe and the Street Profits for some reason.

Heels on the other hand? You've got the Undisputed Era, Rollins' group of stupid losers that always win, Baszler and her two buddies, etc. Basically, anyone evil has loyal friends that are always willing to take a bullet for you. Hell, that's the reasoning given by Roddy Strong when he joined up with TUE.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

DarkstarIV posted:

As for Rhea's character, its not something that WWE themselves came up with. She adopted this new persona shortly after the MYC 1 and talked about how it was entirely her idea because she likes that kind of aesthetic.

Honestly, I'm not surprised. Still looks like try-hard bollocks though.

The whole thing with her taking ages to get to the ring to run off Charlotte looks dumber too when you consider how that sort of thing is usually played for laughs, e.g. Glacier in 2000 WCW taking forever to get to the ring to save Norman Smiley from a beatdown, to the point that the assailants have already left by the time he gets there, or on a random episode of SmackDown when Kane got jumped by Ziggler and Big E, fighting them off successfully, then Daniel Bryan comes running in, and demands Kane thank him because "I saved you" leading to another argument.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Wazzu posted:

They did a cage match because someone who hasn't watched a WWE cage match in 25 years thought it would stop Raquel from interfering. Dakota won after constant interference from Raquel.

Also I just got around to watching DIY Vs moustache mountain, and that sure felt silly when Ciampa took a burning hammer diving knee strike combo and kicked out, then a two man burning hammer, into pulling Trent on top to take Tyler's senton while Ciampa was unhurt.

Honestly struggling to think of a cage match that didn't end with interference or shenanigans. I'm sure there are a few.

I suppose the NXT-edition Wargames matches have been relatively shenanigan-free, but I don't know if they count as a "cage" match per se.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

KungFu Grip posted:

braun vs big show was a clean as a sheet pin and submission only cage match from like 3 years ago?

I completely forgot that match even happened. I remember the ring breaking, because the same poo poo happened with Brock Lesnar about 10 years prior to that.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Hirez posted:

Austin Theory out of position/not knowing a spot? How Dare you

Not entirely fair to put this on Austin Theory, when Rollins was supposed to trip up Ford and missed his spot.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Its weird to remember that NXT started as like 4 seasons of a really bad wrestling game show.

Yeah, but then we got the 5th season, and it was totally worth it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

The most notable name from S1 of Tough Enough is probably Chris Nowinski.

Maven dropped off the radar and there were some really sad stories about him being on drugs and destitute, but apparently he was an executive with the Brooklyn Nets until recently, so he's probably doing OK now.

Season 5 of Tough Enough (the first of Tough Enough 2.0's seasons) had Marty The Moth from Lucha Underground, and Ivelisse Velez, and that's really about it. The season also featured Matt Cross, but he was already an established indy name anyway, wasn't he?

Oh, and one of the Funkadaktyls (remember them?), whom I think was the one who's favourite match was Melina vs Alicia Fox.

The last season, other than the names already mentioned, also had Chelsea Green from NXT.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Germansimp posted:

He was established and it was his downfall. Initially he wrestled like he would in the Indies, so he got pulled aside because he shouldn't show off his skills too much. So he decided to tone it down and then got thrown out by Austin because he wasn't showing off his skills enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9pePpxU58M

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dacap posted:

Rhea 100% must be, and I think they’re just waiting to debut her in the Rumble (which I think she has a shot at winning). My bet is the Dusty winners take the tags off Asuka/Charlotte leading to a breakup feud, Charlotte takes the title off Asuka before Mania and we get Rhea/Charlotte II.

Where inevitably Charlotte wins. Then maybe, finally, the crowd will cheer for her? They won't.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dacap posted:

Of course, why book the logical and satisfying conclusion to the story that started with Charlotte walking into NXT to take their title like it was owed to her when you can have the underdog lose twice?

Exactly. If Charlotte gets shoved down the fans'WWE Universe's collective throats long and hard enough, they'll have no choice but to cheer for her, and her only.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Germansimp posted:

Karrion Kross is definitely winning the title off Balor, he hangs with the right kind of people:
https://twitter.com/JoeyOnEarth/status/1372651492692402179

Actually surprised these fuckers managed to put on masks, I thought putting on masks would immediately cause them to melt into a puddle of water or something.

Look at that henchman-looking goon. So loving generic.

Also, way to completely miss the point of the movie, you stupid loving bastard, Klarion.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Half of professional wrestling used to bounce. There's 2 books of anecdotes purely from wrestlers and MMA fighters who used to do it.

Kind of a weird tack to take.

It's not about whether or not your lad used to be a bouncer - that's not even particularly relevant. It's that he looks like a generic enemy sprite from a mid-90's Capcom beat-em-up.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Yeah, but being Asian, you know Io is going to end up being catering'd, but only after a programme where she's butt of endless Asian jokes, and "herro herro ching chong wing wong, me rikey" promos that are apparently the very height of comedy, where she'd then lose and look like a massive wally.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

you probably could have made your point withough the bit in quotes there chief

Thanks for your concern, bud. I'm a Japanese citizen by birth, old enough to be exempt from the "one citizenship" law that was passed in 1985.

Eat My Fuc posted:

Yea also I can’t think of that happening anytime to Asuka or Kairi or Io so what the heck are you talking about

Oh, like you mean this cringy poo poo with Asuka when she was paired up with Naomi? lololol, look at the silly foreign woman who's first language isn't English.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI_CWwqgLak

If you had any doubts, they doubled down shortly after this, with a bit about sushi, because apparently that's all us yellows eat or whatever.

WWE does this poo poo all the loving time. gently caress, look at the weird Orientalist yellow menace poo poo they're doing with Xia Li. You know better than to give those fuckers even the slightest benefit of the doubt.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm just astounded anyone would be willing to give the WWE even the slightest sliver of the doubt in 2021. loving hell.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Astro7x posted:

They memory hole entire people's careers just because they worked someplace other than WWE though...

Sometimes there are some glorious relics though, like a certain, leering and fetishistic video of a certain someone's bum.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

He needs... the finest opponent.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I'm already looking forward to the cringy-as-gently caress interviews that can be boiled down to some racist "look at the silly foreign person who has a different first language than the rest of us" promos with Saree.

If you do a drinking game where you take a swig every time they mention sushi or sake, or do a haha-larious knee-slapper of a joke about how "she no speak engrish good," during a promo involving someone Japanese, most of the time it'll be the last thing you remember before you wake up 3 towns over with a massive hangover.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I'll never get tired of DiBiase vs. Grimes

Million Dollar Man vs Canadian Synth-pop singer

Book it Vince, you coward.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

KROSS WILL KEEP KARRION THE NXT BRAND INTO THE FUTURE ON MAIN EVENT

Keep the loving NXT belt on him and have him schlep it around on that loving 9th-tier show like the generic sprite that he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

Poor Pete Dunne, signs a new contract and doesn't even get a title win out of it

He made his bed, now he can lie in it. If, at this point, you're willing to re-sign with the WWE after all the poo poo they've been pulling left and right, then he needn't look further than the nearest mirror if he wants to find a person to blame when he inevitably gets hosed around and banished to the Catering Realm. Fool me once, shame on... shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again, and all that.

I hope he at least gets paid handsomely.