Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

tadashi posted:

I also love that the film tries to get the theme of trying to appreciate people who are different from us without getting too proud of itself for carrying a torch for that theme. Let me guess: people are already crying about the Fremen being not white enough or Kynes being played by a woman?

Mostly I've seen a bunch of people complaining that all the minority characters are treated like cannon fodder and that therefore Dune must be a movie celebrating colonialism, white saviors, etc. Which makes me wonder if I watched the same movie as those people.

That's pretty good casting, honestly.

Gorman Thomas posted:

Get some kpop dreamboat for Feyd, the kids will go loving nuts

Also a good option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The United States posted:

Can't wait to see Paul's future vision realized in Part Two

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDKlToU4R_0

This was great but not replacing the sand worm with a Megazord was a real missed opportunity.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

One thing I didn't get is why Paul fights Jamis at all, aside from plot set up reasons. Jessica being a BG she could've easily murked him (and probably every Fremen in that crew) in a matter of minutes right? She neutralized Stilgar in no time at all.

I chalked it up to her being pregnant, dehydrated, etc but it makes it seem like the BG weirding way isn't quite as significant in the movies, same as the Fremen getting their combat prowess dialed down to add tension.

Also it is very clear that Paul "winning" at the end is a very bad thing. His intent is slightly better but invoking the "desert power" thing (which is such a dad line, I chuckled every time someone said it) to me read as him leaning into the Atreides hubris that fell his father and grandfather.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Xiahou Dun posted:

I liked the movie, but it's not perfect and I came here to have a discussion about it. I'm staying cause every page or so some goon says the most absolutely bonkers poo poo based on the loving LSD shadow puppets that live in their heads.

I'm not nitpicking it. I loved the movie and am not criticizing the plot, it's just a point of curiosity. Take it down a notch.

Alchenar posted:

There's a nuanced point about the duel as well - Jamis is pissed off at Paul because Paul knocks him down and gets his gun and that's embarrassed him, but he isn't challenging Paul, he's challenging Jessica knowing that Paul will have to be her champion. Paul is compelled to accept the challenge because the alternative is his mom gets left behind to die.

I mean, that's the thing - Paul didn't have to accept, his mom could've killed Jamis herself just as easily. Jessica was easily the most lethal person there in a single combat scenario.

That said, it makes sense why it went down the way it did. Paul's reasoning as much as about wanting to protect his mother as needing to prove himself to the Fremen. Which speaks to how he falls back on the usual political scheming stuff even if he (somewhat) knows better. I wonder if that would've come through stronger had they included more about his mentat training.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Crespolini posted:

Stilgar says Jessica isn't allowed to duel, I think I remember.

Ah okay. I guess the BG must've really prepared for all situations with their religious prophecy seeding.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

It's really interesting how they took something small from the book like glowglobes following people around for illumination and extended that into these palatial spaces with no artificial light that's not on a character. Almost like the aristocracy in this 10,000 year old empire wander around in their own tombs. (Themes!) I would never have thought of that.

Yeah I'm looking forward to picking up more of this in the books, going to be my first time reading the series. Anything where the subtext is decline of civilizations is my jam, weird that I didn't get into it more as a teen but also probably for the best because now I know to leave the god awful books by the Herbert the Younger alone.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Going off of this - "Shaddam Corrino IV was a slim and elegant man, with red hair, a thin face, and cold eyes. The aforementioned face and eyes reminded the Baron Harkonnen of Duke Leto Atreides I - Shaddam had "that same look of the predatory bird.""

Get Jamie Bell in there.

Alternatively if they want to skew a little older, Sean Harris.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

banned from Starbucks posted:

Couple things im curious about ..are we still spoiling stuff? The Duke complains that the equipment the Harkonnens left them is trash but in the prologue part their spice collecting machines look totally different than the jawa sandcrawler things the Ateides use once they get there. Also Khal Drogo flys around in some stealth fighter looking thing on Calaban but on Arrakis they only use the dragonfly things which I think you see in the prologue as well. Are they just completely using old Harkonnen stuff? Did they just not bring any of their superior air power stuff Poe Dameron talks about at home?

The Harkonnens were there for nearly a century, raking in the cash, and the spice machines we see at the start are way fancier looking. I think the they took their ball home and left whatever archaic desert specific equipment was around for the Atreides to struggle with, just to make it even harder for them to succeed.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Actually they do; Fremen often wear robes over their armor. Even some keffiyehs would make them visually distinct from the Harkonnen, who also wear greeblized black superhero suits.

That's exactly the problem with both the Lynch film and this one: everyone is wearing a black/grey form-fitting bodysuit. They could at least have made the Atreides, Sardaukar, Harkonnen, and Fremen costumes more visually distinct. Could they not have, just as an example, made the Atreides armour army-green and put a little red hawk crest on it? If someone wants to explain to me what's so beautiful about the drab matte grey body armour, I'm all ears.

I read somewhere that the Atreides uniforms and armor were meant to evoke modern US military aesthetics to reinforce the "unjust invasion/botched occupation" vibes but don't know if that's been confirmed anywhere.

Dune 2 looks good as hell though, going to have to make an effort to see that one in IMAX if I can.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm just picturing the Fremen as Fraggles.

I'd watch it just for this tbh.

Get Michael Caine in there as Emperor Shaddam too.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Was Paul ever in any danger of losing his final battle with that guy? Or did he know exactly how it would go down? Not a book reader, my assumption was that he basically rigged the fight so that he would get injured as a way to show his people that their savior/god figure can bleed so that they didn't worship him (as) fanatically.

IIRC it isn't necessarily a sure thing that Paul will win, because of the aforementioned poison dart and what not plus Feyd is actually a very capable fighter with significant if lesser advantages conferred to him by dint of being part of the BG messiah breeding program.

However most of the tension in the book comes from the political implications of how Paul wins - can he kill Feyd without taking a mortal blow (but still taking enough hits to show how tough he is) or will he have to resort to using a BG code word (given to him by the BG) that can disable Feyd at the right moment? The first series of events is what happens and thus allows Paul to demonstrate his dominance and worthiness to the various political factions. Had he been forced to use the BG command as a trump card or to save his own life it would've undermined his standing and made him look like a BG puppet, with various implications.

Haven't seen the sequel yet but I'm guessing that all got left out despite them including Fenring's wife seducing Feyd.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

sean10mm posted:

Yeah, the later books really show Paul's powers as having limitations and ways for others to gently caress with them. Plus he can't cope with what they seem to tell him he has to do.

Leto 2 is interesting becuase there's so much NO LITERALLY HIS POWERS TRANSEND EVERYTHING WATCH THIS poo poo in his book but you're still left wondering if mayyyyybe he's full of poo poo? And what then, mega-bug-Hitler?

I haven't made it this far in the books yet but isn't there a thing with Leto II that, because he can access both sides of generic memory plus whatever else the spice does to him besides wormifying him, he's not really a person anymore so much as a gestalt of a bunch of different personalities including some crazy ancient leaders of different human civilizations? Or is that just some fan theorizing?

Because if it's true to any extent then the whole aspect of "hey maybe this giant worm guy isn't exactly on the level with his grandiose plan to abuse humans into eternal survival on a galactic scale" becomes way more plausible.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

If there are Dune memes, let them be posted here for the benefit of those of us not on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/corey_whatever/status/1767788901115289827?t=tOXBgypzWILagNkfaIsLxQ&s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Does the book ever explain why the Fremen are such good fighters anyway? Paul says they've been fighting the Harkonnens for decades, and while I can buy them being very, very good at ambushes / hit and run stuff, the "effortlessly rinsing Sardaukar in hand-to-hand combat" part always felt weird. Like why even bother with asymmetrical warfare if there's millions of you and you could easily just get close to Arakeen and massacre anyone who isn't a Fremen with virtually no resistance? Does the spice exposure give them some very limited precognition or something? I haven't read the books in drat near two decades so I've forgotten most of it, but I do seem to remember the books eventually backtrack on it and make the Sardaukar decent shock troops with good PR rather than unstoppable elite soldiers.

It's the difference between "I'm tough because I was trained to live up to a certain reputation" versus "I'm tough because the alternative is individual suffering plus oppression and death for an entire culture".

The environmental and political context of Dune means the Fremen have zero latitude for errors or mistakes, which leads to an entire society of pragmatic survivalist insurgents who are maybe also mildly precognitive due to lifelong spice exposure.

Training only goes so far.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Supposedly the IMAX screenings are extended starting April 19? But there's no theaters around me that have it :(

I think it's limited to the top 20 cities based on the number of screenings or revenue during the initial run?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/quibvs/status/1778478473339699533?t=uw_k7O6ya67vL9dNe05oKg&s=19

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

jeeves posted:

The book is so much better than any adaptation.

DUNC2 didn’t even mention the spacing guild and that is like… the whole reason for ending of the first book.

I need to go back and watch both movies together but having watched DUN2 a couple times now, and acknowledging that Denis is clearly telling a slightly different story, the omission of Spacing Guild seems like a huge whiff. Maybe including them felt like one faction too many, or there's enough of an implication that controlling the spice means controlling space travel for it not to be an issue.

IDK, maybe they'll stick the landing in DUN3 but feels like a pretty big hurdle to clear.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

Question about differences between the books and the movies: Is the movie version of Chani not the daughter of Liet-Kynes? I can see why they would leave it out, to emphasize Chani being a "real Fremen" and bolster her disdain of offworlders, but on the other hand that connection is pretty important to the whole "vision of a green Arrakis" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s not necessarily inconsistent with Liet-Kynes being her mom, she just didn’t follow in her footsteps like book Chani (kinda) did.

Even with the changes to Chani's storyline the Liet-Kynes connection feels pretty significant. Liet-Kynes went all in on becoming Fremen, serving the Fremen in the ways that they needed over her own views or goals, was a fervent supporter of the "Green Arrakis" stuff, and was seemingly (in the movie at least) somewhat convinced that Paul was Lisan al-Gaib. So some commonalities with Chani's perspective but also some pretty big divergences.

I don't think it makes or breaks the Chani stuff in the movie either way, just interesting that they elided it the way that they did.