Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

My prediction: Picard will be a really good show anchored by a great performance that does justice to an iconic character.

It won't be great "Trek" in a lot of peoples' eyes because of changes to the setting and format, but a solidly made piece of fiction on its own merits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Discovery is fine if you don’t go in determined to hate it, hth.

I wanted to like it real bad and just felt jerked around by the end of each season. :shrug:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They'll probably stay in the future so they can have fewer continuity issues to juggle as they plan 2-5 other shows set in the 23rd/24th Century.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It will be neat to see the TNG era races again. I miss the Ferengi.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MikeJF posted:

Fuller's Disco would probably have been more TOS-compliant than the Disco we got. Fuller was very much a TOS fanboy, which is why the show was set when it was, but the people who took over clearly didn't care about fitting into TOS that much.

Hell, look at the detailing on his Discovery compared to the one we got. Still different, but something you could see being related to TMP design styles.

I think he's on record as saying he intended it for to look explicitly like "The Cage," with the muted-color turtleneck uniforms and such, and ship design elements based on TOS.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Just watched it. Solid TV show. Still waiting for the philosophy to kick in, but I am cool with detective Picard.

In that scene when he was telling Dahj her life has value, I was like "yeah, that's the guy I wanted to see back."

The whole thing felt nicely grounded. It's obviously not the same format as TNG, but their matter-of-fact presentation of the 24th setting is a welcome return. I love that it's not overhyped about itself, just diving back into the established setting 20 years later.

I am going to watch this pretending that this was the show that they made right after Voyager.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I was planning on skipping Picard because Discovery had been such dogshit early in the first season, but the first episode has given me a bit of hope. I counted ~4 times where they could have stalled out the plot by having a main character lie or hold back info to another- the worst way modern prestige shows draw out their plots- and they went in each time.

Also very impressed they actually seem to understand Picard's TV show character and aren't just making him Patrick Stewart epic meme guy. The detective/investigative stuff is perfect Picard, and when he said "lives." like, drat.

And some slight hope that they want to get back to some actual Trek optimism. The destruction of mars feels like a 9/11 parallel the same way Battle of the Binary Star was for Discovery- but here they've gone 15 years in to the future and it seems like at least part of the show will be Picard dealing with that fallout and the failed course starfleet took after that event, as opposed to a story about the immediate emotional spasm after the event.

The show seems to be partly saying "you can't just live in nostalgia, you have to deal with the reality of the current hosed up situation and chart a path forward," which I like.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Tighclops posted:

It's a Q reference

Yeah, I don't think it is a tipoff Q will have anything to do with the story though. Just Picard having a nice dream about old times.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

That was actually never canon before a few years ago, when it was officially "canonized," IIRC.

Say what?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lenny Nero posted:

Reading through these comments give me some small hope that I might enjoy this series (I still haven't watched the first episode yet). That said, I'm still pretty salty that they're considering Nemesis as cannon.

As much as I hate that movie, the use of "Blue Skies" at the beginning kind of got me.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Well I'll be.

Lucifer and giant Spock are real, and they are my friends

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Admiral Bosch posted:

weird that the picture of worf the TV shows us doesn't look anything like T'Kuvma

Yeah, how about that.

I hope they just start using the TNG Klingon look in Disco season 3, chalk it up to some fansplanation, and never go back.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

There was some interview that said if worf shows up, he'll look like worf. They have different looks for various romulans, so they can do it for Klingons as well.

And he did! The case is closed.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

It turns out all the discrepancies in Disco are because what we saw was a flawed historical recreation put together in the 31st century, where the show now takes place.

The reboot writes itself, make it so

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- The location at the ending was a little odd because it looked like a Borg Cube, but I didn't see any Borg. Was that explained in some other media I haven't seen?

Nope, it is a mystery so far

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

If the entire shipyards were wiped out, and Mars is "still on fire to this day," how did only 90,000 people die?

Really good transporter evacuation system?

(The real answer is Star Trek always gets scale wrong.)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Space racism against folks with pointy ears?

I'm wondering how the Romulans managed to evict the Borg so they could take over that cube. Or was it just left derelict, like the cube that crashed on Earth back in Enterprise?

Making Dahj and her twin at the same time in production makes sense.. one is literally a backup of the other.

Puh-lease don't let this involve Control from Discovery..

What if the cube is the same one that got impacted by Hugh's individuality outbreak way back when, and had been drifting derelict until recently?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Maybe Mars is a historic nature preserve

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Baudolino posted:

I hope they find a way to include Cardassians in some way in season 2. There is no reason not to, a very iconic TNG episode includes them after all.
Would be nice to see what became of Cardassia. I can`t imagine the federation wanted to spend too much resoursces building them back up after the Domination war what with the Romulan crisis and the Mars incident happening soon after.

Maybe this show will generate renewed interest in the 24th century and we could get a whole other series picking up the threads of DS9.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Eh, I feel like the time to do a direct DS9 follow up has passed. Auberjonois and Eisenberg are dead, and Avery Brooks, Marc Alaimo, and Andrew Robinson are all basically retired from acting. Not having Sisko or Odo back, especially, really hurts the appeal of a revisit since those characters and their relationships were the heart of the show. You wouldn’t be able to do something like Picard, it would have to follow new characters exploring the political landscape left behind. Maybe some cameos or supporting roles from characters like Kira, Dax, and Bashir.

It’s all moot though because, if we’re being brutally honest, Voyager is a much more likely candidate for a follow-up show just based on popularity among general audiences. It’s no surprise that Seven of Nine is showing up in Picard instead of, say, O’Brien or Kira or Dax.

Yeah, I just meant the political situation. It just deels weird to me to have the TNG follow up deal with stuff like the Dominion because at the end of the day it was from a totally different show.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Maybe they could make the Captain Worf sh....ahahahaha

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

pyrotek posted:

There is a subset that are pre-pissed off that the show will be supportive of "others": immigrants, gays, basically anybody not a cis white male.

I don't know how they got through the other series with their viewpoints.

There must be some correlation between racism and an idiocy.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I always thought the line about the glasses being a gift again was saying that the second "gift" was the money he got by selling them.

The time loop interpretation is better, but it's just a little joke, it's not supposed to explicitly say they are time loop glasses.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Seriously. It's fun listening to those guys roast bad movies, but I don't understand why so much stock is put in their actual opinions.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Drunkboxer posted:

I don’t know much about modern RLM because like a decade ago I saw a review for some Star Trek property and in the review they said that that Worf alternate timeline TNG episode was the worst Trek episode ever and I decided that they didn’t know what they were talking about.

I listened to their pitch a while back for what the Picard show should be, and that's when I was like "okay, you're no more insightful about Star Trek than any other dork on the internet."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I dunno, I think Rick and Morty is pretty brilliant when it isn't bogged down in nihilism. So a Rick and Morty show counterbalanced with some Trek style optimism could in theory be pretty good.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s an All Access exclusive showrun by a minor Rick & Morty writer who’s big claim to fame before that was running a parody twitter account, with character designs that are very clearly trying to ape the R&M look with a Trek skin stretched over it. If that’s not enough to at least make you go “hmmm” then I don’t know what to tell you, man.

It seemed like all the Trekkies on SA got a pretty good kick out of that Twitter account.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

I don't know that you need to know the specifics of the conspiracy right off the bat.
It's pretty clear that she's a Vulcan working with the Romulans on some secret plot. That's fine for now.

It was actually the Vulcans who created the Borg in their attempt at something something perfect logic. And that's why :spock: could sense V'ger.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

It's not much better though. It's a Borg cube, controlled by the Romulans and clearly wanted to be worked on in secret, yet they are just hiring random people around the galaxy to work and live there? This entire Borg plot thing is so confusing right now. Like, I get revealing stuff slowly, but this is just written like fan fiction and is only there because its cool.

Did they say it was secret at some point? I got the impression all the scientists were invited there as some sort of science exchange, not hired.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I just want to say I think the new 24th century Starfleet uniforms are pretty sharp.

Also that the Disco Enterprise uniforms are an eyesore.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Its not 'FEDERASHUN BAD' it's "not what it used to be" :v:

It's not even that. It's "the Federation made one really bad decision 20 years ago when they were backed into a tight spot."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I kind of like how for the first time, the heroic Captain breaking orders has to live with the fallout of betraying the admirality, rather than being exonerated by his heroism. Regardless of the ethics of the situation, no poo poo there would be plenty of people who hate guys like Kirk and Picard for coming off as so high and mighty.

To me, that's what a lot of the Admiral's character motivation seemed to be. She's like "Hey, the rest of us don't get to decide what lovely orders we disobey, what makes you so special?"

It's a nice deconstruction of the heroic rebel captain trope.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Feb 3, 2020

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

LOL I mean, Picard is my personal fictional hero, and even I was like "Oh, yeah, when you put it that way I guess it is a little presumptuous."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I really thought it was a great moment. It's such a cold, real wake up call for Picard.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

DaveKap posted:

"I didn't know Romulans could be so hot."
Pause for laughter.
"Me either."
Pause for further laughter and applause.

Hey, it's the 24th Century, they've evolved beyond finding straight teeth and proper grooming important.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

They're working a job that happens to be rough for reasons, and when they clock out and go home all their needs are met and they will want for basically nothing.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Same but not if you can have the same outcome for NOT having a lovely job, right?

There is nothing in the scene to even imply the job is lovely. Everyone's in excellent spirits, everything's squeaky clean, and all they do is lightheardly bitch about the the new replicators and having to work through a holiday. But like in a low-key, not actually complaining sort of way. "Blue collar" or "industrial" doesn't necessarily add up to "lovely."

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

It felt at best, unimaginative to me. At worst, incongruous with the setting.

Everything about the location, their dress, they way they speak, the type of complaints, the food, etc... everything is coded as "working class 21st century dock worker."
Like sure, you might know that they've got great health care and don't really get paid, but show that scene to someone who's never seen Star Trek and ask them what social class or economic status they think they have.
They're coded as 21st century dock workers, most likely because it was the easy way out.

This doesn't = show bad, but that's what sticks out as lazy world building to me anyway.

So what would your shipyard scene look like?

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

New "leak" from a clickbait site alleges the following details for future Trek series:

-The return of Sisko for S2 of Picard, in a story that focuses on the Q Continuum and includes Janeway and Guinan. If Avery Brooks doesn't return as Sisko, they'll "get someone else to play him" (like Cirroc Lofton)
-S4 of Discovery will be about the Dominion
-Section 31 will be about the Gorn and Orions
-They are making a CW-style young adult drama called "Starfleet Academy."

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020...jsiP3MFPwV-fH24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Uhhhh considering Discovery gets sent to like the year 3200, I’m not sure why the Dominion would come up

Does it make any less sense than, say, the Trill or Klingons?