Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Just downloaded folding at home for my laptop and set it up on the desk top as well. I hope it helps in some way. Whats the goon team number?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
If anyone is doing the folding at home, goon team is number 150. The more people doing it the better. Or maybe I'm just trying to give myself false hope that I'm helping.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I am a big dumb dumb but reading this article made me feel a little more optimistic.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/10-positive-updates-on-the-covid-19-outbreaks-from-around-the-world/

Some of them seem dumb (like uber eats waving their delivery fees...) but it seems like maybe a vaccine isn't as far off as everyone thought? Or maybe I'm just dumb and gullible/

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
How do you even test a tiger? I feel like they would not be very receptive to having something stuck up their nose

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I wonder how many people are negative at the time of testing and then catch it 10 mins later on their way home or whatever

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
In Canada, Trudeau said the other day that Ontario has hit its peak and will start to decline. Also said we are moving towards a best case scenario, instead of a worst case one as feared. I got 2000 dollars direct deposited the day after I applied for CERB, and another 2000 just a few days ago just to sit my rear end at home. Still no talks to my knowledge of when restrictions will be lifted. I hope that the worst is over here, but not counting on it. I've been having a horrible time anxiety wise, as I'm sure everyone is. I can't imagine how I'd feel having to listen to Trump constantly lie and ramble and rush to open the economy. Stay safe USA goons. I hope cooler heads prevail

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
My friend who watches CNN all day said that Trump heard that alcohol can kill the virus on surfaces etc and just suggested in his press conference that they should find away to inject alcohol into the lungs of covid positive people.

Did he really say that

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

Yeah your friend said it and you wrote it.

A bunch of people itt have posted video of it after I asked so... uhh.. ok? Fake news?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I miss when he said things like covfefe

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

sweet thursday posted:

I never thought that a pandemic would include the president of the US melting down on twitter

That is not even close to being exclusive to the pandemic lol

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Blistex posted:

Canada's "active" and "recovered" cases are neck and neck at ~31k. Bing's saying ~75 new cases today, and 1300 recovered.

:v: time to absolutely pack ourselves into a garden centre or hardware store.

75 new cases in Canada cant be right.. Ontario alone said 350 or so today

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
In Toronto, just walked past a lineup to get into the LCBO (liquor store). People were 6 feet apart, and most wearing masks.... however one guy in the middle of the line pulled down his mask to cough and sneeze. Presumably because he didn’t want to sneeze in the mask? I don’t fuckin know. A few other people were just wearing masks under their chin.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Today I learned that 3 on a beard trimmer is not the same as a number 3 buzz cut! Oops

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
So in Ontario we opened a few things up recently - garden centers and poo poo like that, almost exactly two weeks ago. We are now having a slight spike the last few days after a few weeks of downward trend. Could be a coincidence I guess, but the cases increasing right as we are talking about opening more things seems like a bad omen. My mom was visiting her dying mother in a long term home last week and was tested. Still havnt heard back. Not sure if she got unlucky or if the testing really is this bad / inefficient, but I didn’t think it would take over a week to get results.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
My mom got tested 9 days ago in Ontario. Just got the test results back today. Negative thankfully, but why did it take that long? 2 weeks after opening up garden centers and golf courses and stuff and we’ve had 4 days in a row of case increases, today was the highest in two weeks. Yet we are still planning on opening up more non essential stores. Cool cool.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I have a few friends that live near there and they confirmed that it was absolutely bonkers packed. Some other parks were pretty bad too, but not nearly as bad as Trinity Bellwoods

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Requiring children to wear masks during school is not only impossible to implement but not based on science and could be potentially harmful. It’s therefore unacceptable.

what the hell

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Canada has had just over 100k cases the entire pandemic. Seeing the numbers from some of these states is loving insane

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Any advice for explaining to someone who fell for the “front line doctors” saying hydroxychlorine is “safer than aspirin” and can be a covid cure? This is an otherwise mostly reasonable person. I know a lot of studies basically said “it might be better than nothing, maybe” but then also a lot of studies saying it causes serious heart problems? I just don’t have the energy to put it all together right now.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Things have been looking somewhat optimistic in Ontario lately. Cases mostly under 100 per day for the last week or two with a blip here and there.

Today it was reported that an employee at a strip club in Toronto has exposed 550 or more people to covid by working while infected. Cool!

So defeating and such a slap in the face to everyone taking it seriously. I’ll be pissed if this causes a large outbreak

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Miami wants to have 13,000 fans at their home opener in Sept!

https://www.sportsnet.ca/football/n...hapqd23vxdMIfYk

Seems like a bad idea imo!

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Yeah here in Canada I’ve heard many times from public health officials to assume you are infected and to act accordingly to stop the spread. Makes sense to me considering it can be spread asymptomatically or pre-symptomatically

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Sigh. Any miracles come out of folding at home yet?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Is there a consensus on the best place to donate to for covid research? Won a little bit on a scratch ticket today and figured I might as well throw it towards the cause. Or would it be better to donate to local hospitals for PPE etc?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
So some loving idiot I work with who also thinks flu shots are bullshit posted this with the caption "The company that a lot of people and governments are trusting to vaccine us. What a track record!!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=al-SZ7cii-g

Their website looks like obvious donation scamming "we are fighting the sheeple" bullshit but I just don't even have the energy right now to explain all of the reasons why this is idiotic. I know he will bring it up to me at work, he always does with poo poo like this and usually is willing to rethink things when obvious flaws are pointed out, but usually pushes back pretty hard on vaccination stuff. If anyone wants to help me out and make some bullet points or even a full on reasoned argument it might help me change a covidiots mind! I just don't have the energy tonight.

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 14, 2020

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
^^ I know it’s only one company but the Moderna chairman has said Canada is not at the “back of the line” and 20 million doses have been ordered, with option to get 35 million more.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-vaccine-moderna-covid-19-hadju-health-1.5821166

Sounds like they expect to have 3 million people vaccinated by early 2021, and they are hoping everyone who wants a vaccine can get one by September. Hopefully it moves faster than that though. I’m hoping other companies are getting to the point that Moderna Pfizer etc are at.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
A few random vaccine questions I had. Forgive my ignorance if these are dumb questions, I'm not much of a science guy.

When they say the efficacy is 94 percent or whatever, is the 6 percent that don't get immunity because of a problem with the particular dose or something to do with their personal body chemistry? Like if you had the vaccine done, but didn't get immunity (also I assume the only way to know you didn't get immunity would be if you were infected after the 6 week mark?) would you potentially get immunity from being jabbed again? Or is there just roughly 6% of people that it won't work for at all?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
I just put my info in as a 30 year old in none of the higher risk categories and it says Sept 2021 to April 2022?

E: that was going off of 'canadian government plan' not the last 7 days average. So I guess it assumes vaccine rollout will never speed up which seems kinda pessimistic. I could have sworn I read an article about Ontario alone administering over 10,000 doses in one day not that long ago, 50k a week in all of Canada seems low to me

LonesomeCrowdedWest fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Feb 5, 2021

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Has there been much solid research done as to how the vaccines are going to be effected by the variants? Here in Toronto health experts are bracing for a third wave and say that projections show the new variants will overtake the original strain before long. I’m just getting this mounting sense of dread that the last year of lockdowns and social distancing will have been for nothing. Not that I can get a vaccine anytime soon anyway.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
So here in Toronto my parents who are in their 70s are eligible to get AstraZeneca shots starting tomorrow. I’m glad they’re getting their shots, but would there any point in waiting for a Pfizer or moderna? Or just take whatever you can get as soon as possible? AstraZeneca is still pretty good right? Most of the bad press is from production delays? And that blood clot thing which ... seems like nothing.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Is there any evidence that having an asymptomatic case of covid produces antibodies / any significant immunity? Heard a baseball player say that they tested positive but were asymptomatic so they’re not in a rush to get the vaccine because they have antibodies. Any truth to this or just a baseball player being dumb?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Chief McHeath posted:

From what I understand, he's been showing antibodies for some time now and saying he's not going to be in a rush to get it because it could be more valuable to someone else right now, but if/when a time that works for him, like having two consecutive days off (not a common occurance in MLB) occurs, he'd get it. He hasn't directly said that he is definitively not getting it.

Yes, sorry. I interpreted it that way too. I guess I just wondered if he was just assuming he had antibodies or if there was evidence of it. Love Bo!

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
What’s the current estimate for percentage of asymptomatic cases? Still about 50 percent or do we have new info on that?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008

Cocaine Bear posted:

I'm in Toronto and just before this poo poo got started my idiot province elected some idiot grifters so our response has been terrible and they legit did nothing to prepare for the vaccine rollout (just punted it to the municipalities a few weeks ago because The Town of Stouffville pop.: A bunch of deer is equipped to track and administer all this level of poo poo.

I can't work from home and live in pretty much the hottest covid spot in the country. A popup clinic down the street announced that they were doing anyone over 18 in a hot spot area. Got down there immediately thanks to crowd sourcing and got my first Pfizer shot! They closed it down like 15 minutes after we got ours.

Anyway, Conservatives suck at everything, people are cool, and despite how stupid the circumstances are I got a shot and can't be happier. Took my shirt off for the shot and danced a little jig with a security guard on my way out. Good feelings.

Stay safe and be kind, your turn will come sooooooon!

Little Italy / little Portugal area? Same man. How did you hear about the pop up spot? I wasn’t able to sign up through UHN before they got overbooked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
My province opened up eligibility to all adults in “hot spots” so I guess I get a Pfizer shot in 3 weeks. Only eligible because of the hot spot thing, which a lot of people are suspicious of because some postal codes that arnt hot spots have higher infection rates than some that are. :toot: I guess