Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

zer0spunk posted:

Last update I saw was based on the paper in the article below. It suggested 2-3 months of immunity. Which is not...great. It would be nice to know more concrete details there like if there's any variations on immunity based on if you were sympotamatic or not, or if you have a better chance of being asymptomatic each new infection, or if you shed virus after the first infection. Among the rest of the list of unknowns.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-06-covid-immune-response-stable-months.html

That article says that antibodies remained stable for the duration of the study, which was around two months. It didn't say that immunity or antibodies decreased after that, just that they lasted at least that long.

Unless I'm misreading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.
Also, here's some encouraging news about the vascular issues caused by the virus. It sounds like researchers have determined both a cause and a potential treatment: https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost.com/health-science/hadassah-doctors-crack-the-cause-of-fatal-corona-blood-clots-631681/amp

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

Like lots of mildly affluent people have a little cottage in lake country or whatever where the family goes for a month in the summer. Nobody worries that being stuck in a cabin in the woods with just your family and no one your own age is going to stunt a kids growth or make them crazy. At worst it's boring, not traumatic. But have that same summer vacation where the parents keep whispering and freaking out about having to hide out at the cabin because a zombie apocalypse ravaging the city (despite never seeing any zombies) and the kids are gonna have a bad time.

If you're miserable, they're miserable.

As someone who works extensively with kids I'm pretty comfortable saying that the last three months of social isolation have been a little bit more troubling for six year olds than the average summer trip to the cabin on the lake.

A lot of my Pre-K martial arts students are really struggling with adapting to the current situation, and the overwhelming majority of them are not responding to video based training very well (or are just flat out unwilling to engage at all over Zoom).

I can't imagine that video based therapy would be any easier for them.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

At no point did anyone but the terminally stupid suggest that wearing a mask will make you sick. That has been solely a chud talking point

You can probably dig up posts where posters question whether wearing an n95 improperly (e.g. no seal or just over the mouth) is really any better than not wearing one at all, but that's not the same as suggesting that wearing the mask would cause illness.

I'm not sure if you're only talking about this thread, but up until June 5 the WHO continued to stand by their recommendation that the general public should not wear masks. Their stated reasons were threefold: to avoid mask shortages, to avoid a false sense of security that would result in increased risk taking, and because masks might increase transmission due to improper use and handling.

I'm not a chud, and I wear my mask. However, it's inaccurate to claim that the messaging from authorities surrounding masks has been consistent.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

smoobles posted:

Saw this photo of an American family from the 1918 Spanish Flu circling around. It's amazing how, a hundred years later, 50% of our population is somehow stupider in the face of a century of scientific progress. They're covering their noses too, and even the cat has a mask.

As a cat owner, I'm still really stuck on this. Is it a Photoshop? Is that cat drugged? Dead and taxidermied?

I am genuinely mystified.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

poo poo, sorry to hear it GH.

I just completed a rapid Covid test down here in Georgia and was really impressed with the speed and ease. No appointment, nurse came out to the car within five minutes to do the surface nasal swab, results came back in just under 15 minutes.

Negative, which I'm thrilled about, but it does leave me a bit curious about why the gently caress I've spiked a fever, feel like someone is driving spikes into my head and joints, and am basically making GBS threads blood non-stop. Noravirus?

Whatever it is, I'm real ready for it to stop.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

i am harry posted:

Are you about to attend an billionaire's garden party or something?

Is that in regards to the access to rapid testing?

Nope, it's just readily available here in Athens. Presumably because we're so desperate to get our schools open and try to salvage the UGA football season. :jerkbag:

Apparently a 96.7% sensitivity on the particular test I got, which I admit to a bit of skepticism about.

I was also able to get an antibody test a few months ago with a similar level of ease.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Of course, there's got to be a trade-off. Our trade-off is apparently that our lunatic governor Kemp is such a death cultist that he's actually been reprimanded for his lack of caution by Trump.

That would be like Sheriff Joe Arpaio telling the folks at ICE that they really need to be a little more thoughtful and considerate in their treatment of undocumented immigrants.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

Uhhhhhhhhh I can't give details but I have it on reasonably good authority that a scarily high percentage of the approved tests involved shenanigans, bullshitting, and/or outright lying by the manufacturers wrt their performance. I'm not saying this test did, but we're repeatedly seeing tests claiming high-90s% sensitivity coming up short. I've looked at a number of tests' FDA submissions and my favorite is when they claim their test uses crude sample (i.e. whole virus in nasal fluid from a swab), but they determined their detection limit with purified RNA. Which, just, lol.

The test in question: https://www.medtechdive.com/news/quidel-says-its-covid-19-antigen-test-is-now-on-par-with-pcr-accuracy/581902/

If you or your source have any insight, I'd definitely appreciate hearing it.

excellent bird guy posted:

So the obvious follow up to the making GBS threads blood symptom is: what color is the blood? Dark black smelly (occult) blood, or bright red.

Bright red streaks which are, I have no doubt, the result of numerous surface abrasions to my poor, tender anus. That descriptor just seemed so gauche though in comparison to the much more pithy "making GBS threads blood."

I'll almost certainly be fine, at least assuming this particular Covid test wasn't one of the fuckery-filled ones Zugzwang mentioned. So, what? Maybe 1:1 odds?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

zer0spunk posted:

sending my thoughts and prayers to your butthole

Much appreciated; it's good to have online friends who care about you.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Zugzwang posted:

You were tested during active symptoms (presumably within a few days of symptom onset?), which is the least likely time to get a false negative if you genuinely have it. So that's a good thing.

AFAIK, Quidel's test is good, with the main strength of its format - testing for proteins on the virus's surface instead of the virus's genome - being that you get rapid turnaround and can test people more often. Take advantage of that if you can. Even the best test can't give you any guarantees, and if you want to be extra sure, multiple negatives spaced days apart are much more predictive than just one negative. You might find that you feel a lot better in a few days, which is also a good sign, but not a guarantee. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sorry I can't give more assurance; this virus is Lovecraftian in many ways.

e: tl;dr Odds are good you don't have it, get tested again if you want to be extra sure.

Thank you! I understand that there are no assurances, but I appreciate the tentative good news anyway.

Yes, I got tested on day two of my symptoms. To be honest, I didn't think it was really likely that I had it to begin with, since most of my symptoms were GI related. However, given the sudden fever, the fact that the virus can present with any number of non-respiratory symptoms, and (most importantly) that my wife works in healthcare and I didn't want to be patient zero in a widespread infection chain if I *did* have it and passed it to her, it seemed prudent to get the test.

I'm already feeling notably better, which is also consistent with Norovirus.

Stay safe everyone.

Castaign fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 16, 2020

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

HerStuddMuffin posted:

“You are correct,” I smugly declare. “The snake is venomous, not poisonous. A distinction that should matter to all of us, but especially to your dying friend.”

:thejoke:

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

Get an antibody test.

It probably won't tell you anything useful (since antibodies don't necessarily mean you're immune).

It may not tell you anything at all (since you may not have generated antibodies at all, or they may have faded).

Neither outcome of an antibody test should change your behavior, so it doesn't seem worth the time and effort (or the risk of going to a medical facility or testing site).

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I remember the thread making fun of a dude in rural Wisconsin (I think?) wearing an n95 in February. But by March lol no

I also remember some concern about people not knowing how to put on n95s properly and that they should leave them for essential workers instead of panic-buying them by the box but nothing about masks causing infections

I'm not sure if you're only talking about this thread, but up until June 5 the WHO continued to stand by their recommendation that the general public should not wear masks. Their stated reasons were threefold: to avoid mask shortages, to avoid a false sense of security that would result in increased risk taking, and because masks might increase transmission due to improper use and handling.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

greazeball posted:

Much like ICU beds, sympathy isn't limitless.

Compassion is not, in fact, a limited resource.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

greazeball posted:

there are very few people enlightened enough to manage infinite compassion, man. some of us have been waking up every day and extending compassion to the people we interact with to the point where we come home and we don't have any left for our families and ourselves. the well is dry over here and I gotta ration some of my goodwill and kindness and make sure the people I love and care about aren't the ones I lose my patience with. some people don't want my sympathy and I got good news for them.

Yeah, fair. But I also think there's a difference between "burned out on compassion" and "eagerly lusting for chud death," as described by some people in the thread. The former seems very understandable while the latter seems pretty gross.

/Not a chud, not a Covid denier, always wear my mask

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Just to sum up for anyone who couldn't be bothered reading all that:

Goons who think kids ARE a vector for transmission posted a whole bunch of evidence to back up that claim, including studies from countries which tested large numbers of children

Goons who think that kids AREN'T a vector for transmission didn't post any actual evidence

If the primary method of transmission is aerosolization, it would make sense that younger children would be (somewhat) less likely to spread the virus simply due to lung size and volume of exhaled air.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-02973-3

None of that is to say that in person schooling is safe or a good idea.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Yeah, that first study is BS. The others seem more compelling though: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.08.03.20165589v1

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

HerStuddMuffin posted:

I cannot prove to you that no transmission occurred inside the school because
1) I am not omniscient
2) you can’t prove a negative and

Come on man. I don't think you get to say "No student has been infected by a classmate," and then go on to claim that it's unfair to ask you to prove a negative.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

GRECOROMANGRABASS posted:

Here is my strange trip report. I don't know yet if I had COVID-19, but I intend to get an antibody test soon. I've been very careful about wearing KN-95 masks when it is necessary to leave the house, and I've only had groceries delivered to my porch, etc. I've been able to mitigate risk pretty well with the exception that I had a necessary dental appointment where a crown was replaced. I was the only patient in the office, and both the dentist and dental assistant were seriously geared up in PPE. It so happens that my symptoms began the day after the visit, so I don't think I was exposed at the appointment, because the incubation period would have been less than 24 hours.

I spent most of November in bed with a fever that came and went. It was weird - I'd sleep for like 2 full days, alternating between shivering and sweating, feeling too exhausted to sit up in bed, and at some point I'd wake up feeling better, with no temperature. Then, I'd be sitting at my desk, catching up with work stuff, thinking I was finally out of the woods, and inevitably, at some point I'd feel this intense sensation of warm blood rushing to my face and head. I'd check my temp and it would be anywhere from 99.x to 102.x or so. Soon after that, I would begin to feel strange and my energy would fade, leading for me to return to bed, repeating the cycle.

I've been feeling much better since around the 2nd of this month, but I noticed a weird thing: when it is really quiet I can sometimes hear this faint sound that resembles a flexi straw being bent with each heart beat. At first I thought I had a crackle or wheeze in my lungs, but I can hold my breath and the sound reliably occurs with each heart beat (when audible).

I never had much of a cough while all this was going on, and I didn't feel congested or anything - I could breathe fine. My first symptom was a sudden sinus drip, except it wasn't a drip, it was a steady and gentle stream of clear fluids from my nose. It eventually turned from a stream to a drip over the course of the day, and I have had no sinus issues since the day that happened, but that's how it started. The day after the sinus thing I woke up feeling like poo poo and was running a temp, and the cycle I described above began.

I wanted to get tested for COVID-19 while I was feverish, but I was so lethargic and brain fogged that I didn't think I could safely drive to a testing location. On days that I felt better, it was only 2 to 5 hours of being out of bed before the blood rushing to my head feeling would happen and from there I was toast.

For what it's worth, I've been taking 2k to 8k IU of Vitamin D-3, 500mg of Vitamin C, and 50mg of Zinc Picolinate daily since mid May of this year. While I was sick I added a Vitamin B complex with all the B vitamins, and took Vitamin C 4x a day.

Just kinda curious if anyone else has had something like this happen. It also occurs to me now in hind sight that I may have had some sort of infection from the dental work causing the temperature? I will be seeing my doctor next week. I wanted to go at least 10 days without fever before getting out there and potentially exposing anyone to whatever I was sick with.

The blood rushing to the head sounds very much like a niacin flush from your vitamin b supplements. It is an awful sensation and very common.

https://www.thehealthy.com/heart-disease/what-is-niacin-flush/

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Starks posted:

I understand that. The original post said an entire nursing home got reinfected, not a single case. How could a single case prove reinfections aren't rare?

Edit: I just spent a bunch of time looking it up and there doesn't even appear to be a single case of multiple reinfections in the same setting. I could also only find one case of death after confirmed reinfection. All of which supports the idea that maybe people who have already had it shouldn't be at the front of the line for the vaccine, at least within their own vaccine group. No one is saying reinfection doesn't happen or isn't something to take seriously.

This.

Stating that "an entire nursing home has a reinfection 6 months after the first infection" seems like Hadlock might be making an utterly unsubstantiated and fear mongering claim that is demonstrably false.

Do we really need to flat out lie in order to make things seem even worse and scarier than they are? Why?

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

teen witch posted:

A very cool and great time for my TMJ to flare up. Probably stress induced and GEE I WONDER WHATS STRESSFUL

if I was Idiot Queen of the r/relationships thread I imagine I'd be clenching my teeth a lot too

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

greazeball posted:

You're preaching to the choir man, but when you eventually crack and make a bad decision I'll be sure to scream in your face about what an idiot you are and not try and sympatise with you if that's what you want.

Nah, I'm sure that this time the guy piling on someone about insufficient quarantine compliance is being 100% safe and isn't anything like the goon upthread who was dunking on someone about going golfing (possibly one of the least risky activities one could do during a pandemic) before eventually admitting that he himself was breaking quarantine occasionally to grab some fast food.

YOUR risky behavior is a goddamn travesty and is the reason we're still suffering through this pandemic! You should be ashamed.

MY risky behavior is a very occasional treat that is both a reward for isolating myself and a necessary break to protect my mental health. Obviously.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Stunt_enby posted:

taking bets on how many infections this guy's caused, i'm thinking he probably did thanksgiving AND christmas so i'll put my money at 20ish

Me? I did a Zoom Friendsgiving and am at home for Christmas, alone except for my wife.

I did go to the grocery store for supplies for both holidays though (masked up, in and out as fast as possible), which was an admittedly small but definitely unnecessary risk.

The fact that I'm willing to take such small risks makes me disinclined to hammer on other people about what they're doing wrong.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

Going to the shops for stuff isn't a risk on the same axis as having a family get together for the holidays.

Yes it is, and that's my point. We could literally draw a graph with "risk" on one axis and "behaviors" on the other. "Going shopping" and "family get together" are on the same axis.

I don't agree with the dude having his mom visit, and like I said, I'm spending the holidays socially isolated. I'm not arguing for risky behavior, I'm noting that everyone (literally everyone) is engaging in some level of risk, and most people are happy to assume that their level of risk-taking just happens to be the cutoff for "acceptable."

I think that's dumb.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Inept posted:

can you subsist on sunlight or something

I could just order non-perishable food from Amazon. There is literally no reason why I would absolutely have to set foot in a grocery store at all this year.

But I've made the determination that that level of risk is one I'm willing to take.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Inept posted:

that's just transferring the risk. visiting relatives is creating risk out of nothing.

That's a reasonable point, if it's accurate. I don't think though that putting in one huge order to Amazon every month would actually expose as many different people to each other as me taking an in person trip to the grocery store.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

sassassin posted:

That is some serious wibble wobble liberal centrist thinking. 'Don't be critical of bad things because everything is a little bit bad (if you squint), and it's far safer and requires less thought to just be polite instead and let people do their thing'.

yes, precisely what I said, great job translating

I think you can be critical of bad things (I've already said that I don't think the poster in question should have mom visit) without being a raging rear end about it. I also think it is likely that the poster who was being a raging rear end has probably engaged in behaviors that make their current condemnation hypocritical.

Like the earlier poster who fumed about going golfing while also getting an occasional drive thru meal.

"wibble wobble liberal centrist." Get the gently caress out of here with that weak poo poo.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Cacator posted:

Have you considered eating a healthy diet with fresh food instead of processed garbage you order off of amazon and then it wouldn't be as big of a risk for you to go to the grocery store?

???

Yeah man, that's one of the reasons why I opt to take the risk of going to the grocery store rather than ordering a bunch of processed garbage off of Amazon.

Crackbone posted:

This, a thousand times this. I don't know what reality distortion field people have equating masked grocery shopping vs. prolonged close proximity (almost surely maskless) indoor contact with a member of a vulnerable population.

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is some decorum posting lol. Most people aren't able to survive without having to go out for groceries or work, we aren't all loving wfh computer touchers, but just about everyone can not go to parties and poo poo. This is 21st centuries, there's easy and virtually free methods of communication with your family so use them.

My point isn't "it's okay to visit family" or even "you shouldn't put people on blast for doing risky, stupid poo poo." My point was "hey, one of the last times someone was screaming about another posters' risky behavior it turned out that they were doing something that was also pretty close to the same spot on the risky behavior axis. What are the chances that the current person doing the yelling is also a hypocritical jerk bag?"

Crackbone posted:

Maybe you should extend your boundless compassion to me instead of coddling the person who 9 months into a pandemic thinks it's no big deal for Grandma to catch Covid.

what

Castaign fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 25, 2020

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Colonel Cancer posted:

Yell at the hypocrites too, yelling isn't a limited resource :shrug:

My initial post was making fun of the possible hypocrite. I said nothing at all about it being okay for devmd01 to have his mom visit.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Crackbone posted:

I wrote a long reply to this but to summarize: You don't know me and don't get to assume I'm a hypocrite to tone police me. gently caress off.

EDIT: I'm angry and tired because we didn't get to have a family Christmas since we're trying to do the right thing. I'm out.

Not actually trying to tone police, and it wasn't my intent to make you feel angry; I'm sorry you (and so many other people) are suffering.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Additionally, some of our curbside shoppers have been spotted maskless and coughing into bags so, welp.

jfc.

Yeah, okay, maybe I do tend to err too much on the side of "try to avoid frothing in rage." Maybe a bit more frothing is in order.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Scarodactyl posted:

Those two things weren't even close either.
I get it but these are bad posts too.

I guess that given the response I've garnered, I can't argue that my posts in this thread are anything other than terrible, but I still don't think golf is substantially higher risk than a drive through. They both seem pretty low risk to me.

TBF, I haven't golfed since a gym unit in middle school. If golf is now full contact, open mouth, then I'll definitely rescind that statement.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

pidan posted:

With the moderna vaccine, there's evidence that it prevents infection and transmission. But the effectiveness is under 70% for that aspect, much lower than the 90+% reduction in symptoms.
With Pfizer we don't have data one way or the other, but since the vaccines are similar this aspect should also be similar.

People who don't have symptoms are definitely less infectious than symptomatic people, but it's again unclear how big the difference really is (and what it would be if the person is not taking precautions because they're vaccinated).

Do you have a link for the <70% figure? I haven't seen anything conclusive on either vaccine's impact on transmission.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Stunt_enby posted:

feel free to destroy my bussy with facts and logic, but isn't it safer to do the shopping yourself instead of delivery? seems like in either case, you're adding 1 person to the store, and if that one person is you, you can guarantee they're using effective PPE and following sanitation protocol as opposed to someone who is probably using a standard-issue face diaper instead of proper respirator and also racks up contacts with others as part of their job

Safer (or close to the same) for you personally, but in the aggregate delivery results in less people interacting with each other overall since a single delivery person will shop for and deliver to multiple clients.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

No Pants posted:

wait, are we not supposed to buy groceries or get fast food? are people without access to no-contact delivery services supposed to just die of starvation or what?

I made a dumb argument that hinged on the fact that going grocery shopping in person was not zero risk.

I have regrets.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

slinkimalinki posted:

I thought herd immunity had literally never happened without a vaccine?

My understanding is that it is theoretically possible without a vaccine (assuming immunity after infection is long lasting), but that it would require cataclysmic levels of infection and death. Here's an article that seems to do a pretty good job laying out what herd immunity means and what it would take to achieve it:

https://www.lung.org/blog/understan...0is%20possible.

So, yeah. If around a quarter billion Americans got infected rapidly, we might be able to attain herd immunity.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

This is absolutely loving maddening.

"don't mind me, i'll just be over here murdering people to support my very rational and reasonable anti-vax beliefs. this is an extremely sane, normal and moral thing to do

i'm helping! you can thank me later.

(i mean, not to brag or anything, but i'm pretty sure this basically makes me a superhero)"

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Der Kyhe posted:

the vaccine only protects you against the heavy symptoms, but it still allows you to spread the virus because it can exist, but just not do anything important.

Is this recent news? The last things I read stated that there is no evidence that the vaccine blocks transmission, not that there is evidence that it does not block transmission: https://www.businessinsider.com/who-says-no-evidence-coronavirus-vaccine-prevent-transmissions-2020-12

Obviously everyone should still mask up as long as this is unknown, but there is a big difference between "definitely prevents severe illness but effect on transmission unknown" and "definitely prevents severe illness, but definitely does not limit transmission."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Especially since Regeneron is normally administered through an IV drip, not direct injection.