Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got my jab in a big stadium miles away tomorrow (disability carer), my lad (at risk) has his at the pub round the corner on Monday which is lol but I’ve not traveled 12 miles away from my house in a year so it will be a nice day out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Got my Oxford vaccine at 10am, headache started an hour ago at 8pm - I don’t get headaches, and I really want to go to bed but my kids will destroy the house if I do.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The friend of our health minister who was given £37 billion to create a track and trace app which never worked is married to the guy who heads up the government’s misspending and corruption commission.

If anyone thinks their country is bad.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Royal Navy will not only pay you over the going wage for whatever profession you are in but will also pay you to do the extra training, if anyone fancies hunting for mines in the North Sea.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m 36 hours into a headache after the AZ vaccine, fun fact; my nana was born on the same day as the Queen and is on a mission to out live her for “stealing my birthday”, so I’m happy to be mildly inconvenienced to help her.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Although it’s standard practice to pause trials after every death what we got going on in Europe is good old politics happening.

It’s the Oxford, AstraZeneca vaccine and the British made a huge obnoxious jingoistic fuss about the Oxford part at exactly the moment Brexit border stuff happened. So what you got in play is a few people being absolute dicks and playing games with old people’s lives in retaliation for our dickish behaviour.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone (correctly) said “coronavirus has been the middle classes working from home while the poor bring them stuff”, at some point the number of people you come in contact with on your commute/delivery round/factory shift and also the type of people; the old, the sick and so on outweighs other factors like your own age and fitness. So yeh if you are a healthy 25 year old working from home then it’s best to wait your turn, but if you are also the only one doing your grandma’s shopping and cooking then hunting down a vaccine is the exact right thing to do.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

They might also have already had Covid sometime last year, or whatever. We don't gotta speculate.

I had covid a year ago, was one of the first U.K. cases because my daughter is in the same class as some girl who went skiing in Italy and passed it round. I caught it again 6 months later from a pissy disabled toilet, and doctors took bloods after that because it was an indicator that we may need repeated vaccinations. Got my vaccination on Friday and it kicked my arse because I didn’t have anti-bodies. *after having covid twice*

Wear your drat masks.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We need to find all these “my grandson/my nephew”s and keep them as far away from the olds as possible, preferably in cages next to the volcano we just yeeted their phones into

I run what used to be a charity silver surfer group, which started 10 years ago and when the official group ended I just sort of carried it on as a cafe and cake club. I somehow managed to wrangle all of them into staying covid free until they all got jabbed, but it was an absolute battle against numerous opinionated dipshit younger male relations, who I will always slightly suspect were feeding some of them bad information for the inheritance money.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just took codeine and tripped balls till the fever went away with both covid and the vaccination tbh.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Fun fact: In the U.K. they have found that the statistics show that you are way less likely to be hospitalised with covid if you smoke/toke/vape and it’s because of two reasons, firstly the smell keeps strangers on the street 2m away, and secondly there is a visual aid showing how far your breath can travel when you exhale smoke/vape so people go “gwah!” and step back

My Nan 94, is super pissed that she gave up smoking 40 years ago now, and even more pissed that the nursing home staff won’t buy her cigarettes.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UK are doing them 11 weeks apart now, we are so far ahead of everyone else now that we got solid figures showing the effectiveness increases massively from 3 -12 weeks turning the second jab into a booster.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The current working here is 11 weeks apart, and then by this winter they will develop a yearly booster that takes into account all the current variants and either combine it with the flu jab or do them both at the same time - all our elderly, vulnerable and care workers get the flu jab so as usual the idea is to guess and hope like hell this works.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Especially since they will be changing the vaccines to accommodate new/dominant stains if need be so the second one *may* end up being slightly different to the first

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My crabby old mate glued an antler to the end of his walking stick and prods people with it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you want some good news, since the schools went back here last week tests have gone up 42.2%. Out of 8,921,866 people tested only around 500 positive results were from schools via rapid testing and they got caught before they walked in the door.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
People might have taken her slot but it seems the county is really good at picking up fraud.

I think this is a journalist with an axe to grind over hidden illness and disabilities who asked a “acceptable” disabled lady in a wheelchair if she was concerned about slots being taken.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s most likely going to balance out with the MAGA/Tory gammon who are deliberately booking appointments they are entitled to and then not showing up because they think “their” vaccine/microchip will have to be thrown away.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. are saying “woo hoo go nuts” on the 21 June. Which I imagine will go outstandingly well.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have gammon relations who will take to the streets in their mobility chariots of doom and freaking riot if they change the date they said they would open up the pubs and the football. (12th may, 17th June)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Lot of gambling going on, the U.K. had no idea that going 11 weeks between shots was the right thing to do (it’s actually working well for us) even the vaccine companies were going mad and saying it should be 10 days. But a pissed off older tory voter base would have gone batshit if they hadn’t quickly got down to the 60-70 year old group and here we are.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did coronavirus get the kill mail by any chance?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Has there been much solid research done as to how the vaccines are going to be effected by the variants? Here in Toronto health experts are bracing for a third wave and say that projections show the new variants will overtake the original strain before long. I’m just getting this mounting sense of dread that the last year of lockdowns and social distancing will have been for nothing. Not that I can get a vaccine anytime soon anyway.

They know beyond doubt that the current vaccines work on the British (kent) variant, it’s so unbelievably prevalent here that none of the others have had a chance to take hold - AZ say that if the Brazil version took over they may have to change the vaccine which they are geared up and ready to do if needed.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There is going to be a point for many many people, especially those who have been self isolating where it’s actual therapy they need to get on with life, and no doubt some people will wear masks in public forever, which is fine, way less regular colds and flus if everyone did that.

It’s going to be like a collective Mal de Debarquement syndrome where you get off a boat and your brain is utterly convinced that everything is sill rocking.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It felt like I had covid again only it lasted 5 days and I could feel it getting better as my arm stopped being sore instead of dragging on and on for weeks and oh god will these waves of dizziness never end.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Even if it’s 50% then that’s 1000 cases when there are 6.73 million school kids in the U.K. even 1000 in a million of them is less than they estimate is knocking round the general population.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
U.K. has a site that they are asking people to report side effects to - don’t think it matters you are in another country because they are only really interested in the batch numbers and what happened.

https://coronavirus-yellowcard.mhra.gov.uk/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Whitty gave us a lovely statistic in that in the over 50s and vulnerable groups 1 in 20 vaccine shots of any type would prevent a nasty case of the rona.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Could someone just confirm something for me - are the stated efficacy rates for the vaccines the reduction in likelihood of getting severe (i.e. requiring hospitalisation) disease, the likelihood of getting any kind of symptomatic infection, or the likelihood of getting any kind of measurable infection? Or is the reduction for all three actually around the same? And what does this actually do to the chances of a given individual who's exposed? The reason I ask is that non-expert sources will occasionally throw out a "no deaths or hospitalisations" headline about one or the other of the vaccines (particularly the AZ one) but they never seem to back that up with actual proof.

Some extraordinary raw data you might be interested in here, because our (mostly AZ) NHS vaccination program has been monster.

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

Testing has ramped up hugely because they are testing school kids now, new cases have flatlined at the 5-6k mark which in real terms means they are tanking, and hospitalisations are dropping. - It’s all in proportion to the vaccination program and exactly what you would expect to see if it’s working.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You have to remember that a lot of this data is coming out of the U.K.’s successful mass vaccination program and the most up to date figures show it’s a 90% reduction rate in hospitalisation for vaccinated people over the age of 65 + vulnerable people of all ages, after the first dose

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

smoobles posted:

Yeah, it's looking more and more like the UK did the right thing, and that Pfizer/Moderna could have been one-shot vaccines in hindsight, but both companies erred on the side of caution in their trials.

edit: could you share a link to where you read this? Want to tell some people.

Our figures are kind of weird in that they officially come out every month and March’s is due this week:

February’s report with Maths.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...bruary_2021.pdf

Readable newspaper version.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-vaccine-uk-hopsital-latest-b1805490.html

Daily summery

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
A lot of schools have switched to only allowing them to take the tests in the dinner hall before either going into class or being sent home, rather than doing them at home now because people weren’t reporting the results.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There isn’t any data because the vaccine program, even the test phase, isn’t old enough. What they are doing is testing people in the UK and going “holy poo poo after 11 weeks it’s holding steady but we best give a second shot at this point just in case”. Few months time they will have data from enough people who missed the second shot to be able to tell if your immunity holds steady without it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

So here in Toronto my parents who are in their 70s are eligible to get AstraZeneca shots starting tomorrow. I’m glad they’re getting their shots, but would there any point in waiting for a Pfizer or moderna? Or just take whatever you can get as soon as possible? AstraZeneca is still pretty good right? Most of the bad press is from production delays? And that blood clot thing which ... seems like nothing.

Good news! If you are old you don’t get side effects from AstraZeneca, it’s still as effective though. The elderly tend to get fever and flu symptoms after the other two.

You will find the British mostly going “gahhhhh” and pointing the 18 million ? People who have had AZ without any evidence of blood clots and maybe some small evidence that there is a slightly increased risk in a rare existing condition that may or may not have been triggered, but that mostly effects women aged 35-45, which is me and I’m still getting my second AZ shot anyway.

Anyway the BBC updated the fact sheet for you to show your grandmas

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55274833

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Not exactly because we have also done our NHS staff and carers who are overwhelmingly women under 55.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
1in 25 of the first dose, any dose, taken by the Under 55/vulnerable/care giver group prevents a severe case of covid. A pulmonary disease that can create blood clots.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had AZ, am woman under 45, am still alive as are the millions of women in my demographic who have also been jabbed WITH NO CHUFFING INCREASE IN BLOOD CLOTS YOU ABSOLUTE GULLIBLE WEAPONS will be jabbed again.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh god.

I was vaccinated and my 18 year old son was vaccinated in the first group because we come in contact with 300 very vulnerable immunocompromised kiddies in wheelchairs. I am actually ok with anyone who has refused the vaccine and then passes it on to them being done for mass murder.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Or awesome planning, they are beginning to get results showing pregnant women’s antibodies are being passed on to the baba, not enough data but they are extrapolating that they will be in the fore milk as well 😃

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
And before anyone starts a few pages ago someone posted the workings showing that millions of women aged 16-45 are included in that figure, because we’ve vaccinated 95% of our healthcare workers.