Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Zotix posted:

I feel bad for older people. The propaganda campaign has started to condition people I to accepting they'll get it. Sucks if you're older and fall into the group where the death rate is 10% or higher.
Don't worry, coronavirus infections are not directly dependent on whether you think you'll get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

I keep telling y'all this panic is not happening outside white people, if you need water just go get it from a store that isn't fuckin target
The stores near me are all basically full still so checks out.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Doc Walrus posted:

Yeah I don't think people are very coherent above 102, thermometer must be goofing
I've had low 103s a few times before and while I was really tired, had some concentration issues and had trouble walking straight or standing because my sense of balance was seriously messed up (which I don't know if that is fever specific), I was still very mentally coherent and able to talk while I was awake. Some mild momentary occasional confusion, and especially trippy dreams, but not really waking delirium.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mummy Xzibit posted:

All of Hollywood is shutting down production, yet LA is keeping their schools open.
Have to make sure kids are fed and the adults can go to work somehow.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Bulgakov posted:

this morning i thought back to the plans i made last night which were along the lines of "goto the grocery stores right when they open and do a final stocking up because a worldwide pandemic alongside economic crash is on the way and i need to be ready" but then immediately started feeling like surely im in psychosis or something because most of the people around me in life are casual as ever but then i opened the news and nah nope shits going crazy

but that doesn't stop me feeling like a lunatic when I think about taking it seriously

its gas lighting as gently caress :supaburn:
No reason to go running through the streets screaming or anything. It won't stop tens to hundreds of millions of people dying.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Zeroisanumber posted:

I work for the Post Office and we're not going to close come hell or high water so I'm already fairly comfortable with the fact that I'm almost certainly going to get it. By the time that I do I doubt that there will be much healthcare available for people as young as I am so it's pretty much going to be me coughing it out for a week.
Unless you need a ventilator or constant care for some other symptom that has you on death's door there's not a lot to be done at the moment other than to cough it out.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

AceOfFlames posted:

Here in the Netherlands they insist this will only last until March 31st but I don't know what to do. I will be working from home, my gym keeps telling people to keep coming in. I already spend over 100 Euros on groceries that somehow only last for a little over two weeks (I am terrible at cooking without perishables). I dunno what to do, should I double down even though the supermarkets are running out of stuff? I keep wondering "Well if I have problems a lot of people should have, right?"

I'm more worried about losing my job, not working again or the EU collapsing than a pure collapse at this point, tbh. Dunno if that's misguided on my part. The hell do I do?
Assuming you're not in any of the covid danger zones, your worries are probably in the right order.

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

How are we supposed to have a boomerpocalypse if everything is shut down and people are learning about social distancing and how soap works?
Lol if you think the bad boomers are doing this any of that stuff.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I made an easy to understand diagram.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Raccooon posted:

Wonder if I have already had this thing. Got what I thought was flu in Feb. not much of a cough but one day I cough so hard I thought I was going to throw up from it. The couple coughs throughout the day for two weeks after. I had the flu shot but I heard their was a strain of flu not in the shot this year.

Maybe I am already immune to this poo poo.
Flu generally comes with a quickly (within a day) onsetting high fever and iirc is usually confined to throat and nose (unless you get a secondary usually bacterial pneumonia from it). If I remember the table correctly, covid's most common symptom aside from a milder fever is dry cough followed by shortness of breath (where you have trouble getting enough oxygen and start to breath fast and heavy as opposed to sinus congestion).

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

ChipNDip posted:

On the other hand, we aren't necessarily doomed to having the same outcomes as Italy.
On one hand, Italy is demographically older. On the other, our response has been worse so far.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Dustcat posted:

seriously, all these "well their population is really old" arguments are based on differences of a few percentage points
That could theoretically translate to a percent or few less deaths when you consider hospitals being overwhelmed.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

You know what we need to do? Make sure business have even higher person density than they otherwise would.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Xaris posted:

can you actually? i was under the impression you generally need to be ejaculating viral-laden -mucus droplets from out of the lungs.
Air comes out of the lungs when you exhale and the tiny moisture droplets you exhale are invisible at room temperature. Any time you breath, water comes out. If it didn't, your breath wouldn't fog when it's cold.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Mar 17, 2020

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

You know how when you breath close to a mirror and it fogs up? That's because your breath has water in it and it's hotter than the mirror.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

oxsnard posted:

This sucks rear end but doesn't this mean that it's possible the fatality numbers are way too high?

https://twitter.com/apoorva_nyc/status/1239594489754378240?s=19
Maybe, but it also means more people will be getting infected because people who feel well tend not to isolate themselves. Which could be a wash as far as absolute deaths. Knowing most people are asymptomatic isn't going to suddenly make people in Italy and Iran stop dying. Or other places in coming weeks.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

If the large number of asymptomatic folks are spreading the bulk of the pandemic, what’s the mechanism it is using to spread? I understand if someone’s coughing saliva droplets on another person, but if you’re just chilling asymptomatic does it just go to people you kiss or share food/glasses with?
You breathe it out (you breathe out a lot of small droplets of water every breath even while not ill) and touch things. Coughing just makes it go a lot farther and stick to more things more often.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

MorrisBae posted:

What if we stopped being mouth-breathing assholes and breathed through our nose
Your nose hairs will not catch all of the droplets. You still fog up mirrors if you breathe through your nose at them.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think it's pretty much the same. i'm bad at math but if people don't change their behavior and 100 million get it, most won't show any symptoms and you'll still have five million "critical" cases which is really loving bad, might die, needs oxygen, overloads health systems many times over, etc.
100m is the low estimate i've seen even with most people being symptomatic. It could just be driven up to 200+m total infected with the same 100m symptomatic and 10-20m of them needing hospital care.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

I've almost completely recovered from suspected COVID19 and I feel there's going to be a big backlash when most people get this and it feels less severe than a common cold.
That will only happen if countries don't turn into Italy and have several percent of their population people die to it in the next 3 months.

Also, a lot of countries are preparing to turn into Italy but worse.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Mar 17, 2020

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

People interpret reality through anecdotal experience and most people's anecdotal experience with this pandemic will be that they lost their jobs because of a mild cough.
If we do get to what's being predicted with 100m predicted in the US at italy's general testing critical/fatal rates most people will know someone they liked that died. And it could be worse than that in places like US/UK.

And I'm not talking like people they like in movies and tv news shows or blue check marks on twitter.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Mar 17, 2020

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Solarin posted:

does a population acquiring immunity relatively quickly mean it's going to lose it around the same time? Is it accepted that immunity is a short term effect of the immune system?

bodies are complicated and poo poo so it's probably unanswerable but I wonder
It depends on the disease you're gaining immunity from. Some immunities last years to a lifetime. Others last days or months. For sars-cov-2 I've seen theorizing it could only be several months, but I don't think we really know yet.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

charity rereg posted:

we did pickup food and the cashier was visibly ill and coughing and just going "ha ha allergies, am i right?" and well i... don't know if she's right!

but work has shifted into "WFH unless otherwise noted" so i don't have to go in 2 days a week now, which is great and safer.
If it was a dry cough enjoy your covids.

If it was productive maybe it was just allergies or regular flu or something.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

love that our decision apparatus black box inputs "people might get laid off" and outputs "give money to people who make money by laying people off and hope people don't get laid off" instead of "tell people they're not allowed to do layoffs"
They can't because most businesses don't have enough money.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

I've been having a nearly nonstop panic attack for a week, I can't do this anymore! I'm going to die, I know it!
If you only panick and don't do anything productive with that motivation, you only increase your risk of death. Your panic by itself will not do anything useful. Let it motivate you to wash your hands and stuff, but don't unproductively panic.

Addendum: if you are a 90 year old aids smoker with both types of diabetes and has previously had 6 heart attacks living in a major metropolitan travel hub that can't go anywhere else, then better to go out doing something you like better than panicking, since panic isn't going to keep it away. Paint a picture or whatever. Be like that band on the titanic.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Grapplejack posted:

I'm starting a plague cult, if you join in corona-chan will make your illness quick and painless, you'll recover in no time and you'll carry her blessing
I think it worked for me at least.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Forgot about this. Wonder if it will help people with tiny risk anxiety.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

The US and several other western nations have been long insulated from anything bad happening, and people have just kind of internalized that nothing really bad could happen because it all happens either out of sight or in a different country. And now it is happening to everyone, so you're definitely not alone in feeling shock. Once the shock wears off, steel yourself because it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

With that out of the way, I hope things work out for you.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Epic High Five posted:

just out of curiosity, how much ownership of Boeing would 60 billion dollars buy
At this rate, in a few weeks all of it several times over.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

navyjack posted:

There is no way bars and restaurants will be re-opening in May, is there? Like it’s just a pipe dream that my job is ever coming back?
We might, but we'd also possibly be accepting an extra several to 10 million deaths so it's up in the air.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

LionArcher posted:

so the death count in the USA will be six figures right? because I told a friend that last night and he thought I was being an idiot.
If we're lucky. Likely 7, maybe 8 if we just decide to say screw it open everything corona for everyone we must save number.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

how many meltdowns can this thread get per day
It will increase exponentially, doubling every 5 days.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

lol what in the loving hell is this poo poo
Doctors and nurses should get paid to risk death to themselves and loved ones. And they're going to be working extra hours. And there's going to be a lot of non-payment. And they might be able to buy some in equipment in time to save more people still.

100b sounds kind of high though.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

mad.radhu posted:

Some exciting things might be happening in SF soon
Exciting good or exciting bad?

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

MysteriousStranger posted:

This, it's a handout that will go straight into the hands of white flyover chuds. Working poor minorities in the cities will only qualify for the tiniest amounts and the urban libs all make too much to get it which is barely making it. also no immigrants get it and that hurts blue cities more as well.
Working poor in cities don't make 75k/year unless it's like single income 4+ person family. But even still most families will be under 75k.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Tbh it's probably already quite a bit more widespread that this would not really be a huge increase if they were just allowed to roam the bay area. They've already released at least one plague ship in the bay area and just let everyone go wherever, and SF gets a lot of asia traffic.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 19, 2020

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

I want all of C-SPAM to stay alive and healthy so we can all post about wanting to die and what's going to kill us all for many, many years to come.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

To be fair I knew stuff was about to go down hard and did it at the same time, and I have 0 access to classified information or medical grapevines. If that's all then that's fine.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Crusader posted:

you weren't running around in a position of authority telling people things were fine

pathetic little tramp posted:

Yeah we all did, but you weren't also a US senator saying "THIS poo poo'S JUST A CHING CHONG HOAX TO MAKE US LOOK BAD"
You're right. Very good point.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

It's also before millions of people die in the US while SK and China and possible some European countries are relatively unscathed in comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Thunder God Biden posted:

Love too be affected by seasonal allergies right now.

...unless?
If your nose is runny or stuffy it's probably not covid. Or at least not by itself.