Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

As of 1PM Jan 31 GMT (8AM EST, 5AM PST) there are 9,927(🔺2,116 since yesterday) confirmed #coronavirus cases worldwide. There are 9,782 (🔺2,071 since yesterday) confirmed cases in mainland China 🇨🇳. Among them, 1,527(🔺157 since yesterday) people are listed in serious conditions. The suspected case in China is 15,238 (🔺4,812 since yesterday). Death toll in China is 213 (🔺43 since yesterday)

Number go up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Unless they were making slanty eyes or something this just seems like normal college stuff but I also refuse to read the article so I reserve the right to change my mind.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

stephenthinkpad posted:

Devaluing the yuan will only make China's export markets stronger. US is the country who wants stronger rmb.

Yeah I thought they been intentionally messing with stuff to keep it devalued for a long time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

stephenthinkpad posted:

Some funney from Ukraine. The Minister of Health evacuated a plane of Ukrainians from China, they didn't disclose where the plane is landing to avoid potential protest. People found out the landing city anyway and riot broke out. They blocked the road with trackers and trucks.

https://strana.ua/news/250739-evakuatsija-ukraintsev-iz-kitaja-onlajn-pribytija-samoleta-skajap-v-ukrainu.html

Also, this women refused to leave because the plane didn't allow evacuees to take their pet with them.

She's neither a child or super old so unless she's a heavy smoker or something she doesn't have a whole lot to worry about so maybe she just didn't want to abandon her dog? his seems like an okay decision on her part.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Bip Roberts posted:

it was called "trainspotting" for a reason

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tei posted:

If you are on another country, is actually a good idea to go to McDonalds because the food is pretty standard and you know what to ask and what you will receive.

Okay Boomer. Yelp and reviews on Google exist.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Crusader posted:

https://twitter.com/marynmck/status/1232649018695671809

article implies if a quarantine was attempted of an entire city americans would just shoot their way out

That is 100% what would happen.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Relevant Tangent posted:

tbh it's probably time we talked about the lack of toilet paper dispensers at urinals and how unsanitary standing to piss is in general

Why, uh, would you need toilet paper at a urinal?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Relevant Tangent posted:

my dude, there is piss on your dick when you put it away and you should wipe it off

If you pee on yourself you are doing it wrong.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Starks posted:

I’m planned to go to Berlin at the end of March and everything I booked is nonrefundable and I don’t have travel insurance. I’m a loving Idiot!

edit I guess if it spreads fast enough and it’s in every country then people will stop caring about not travelling maybe?

Yeah, I have a non refundable trip to Spain booked for June. Gonna suck to eat that if things continue but who the hell knows what three months from now will bring. The card I used for everything has travel insurance but it only kicks in if I'm to sick to travel, not if I might get sick from traveling.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 2, 2020

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Homeless Friend posted:

definitely an idiot, imagine how much cheaper you could get it now

Yeah, that to. Tickets are gonna be super cheap this summer.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dads friend steve posted:

I think the giant manufacturing company I used to work for spent on the order of $100 million a year on travel. it was one of their biggest expenses. travel industry might be hosed

I just got this email from American this morning. I wonder if Delta and United will follow suite. Or better yet extend it to already purchased tickets because right now I've got some nonrefundable tickets to Barcelona at the end of May that I'd love to be able to cancel and get the money back.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

twoday posted:

Dutch CDC continues to tweet out advice

Are you sick? gently caress you, we don't want to hear about it

Meanwhile they haven't even released the locations of the last 8 cases

Trying to avoid having people overwhelm the system with symptoms that are known to not be related to the virus isn't a bad idea though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Tucker Carlson is a Strasserite.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dumb Lowtax posted:

chlorhexidine is the disinfectant that's ineffective

What's the regular name for that so I know not to buy any?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Good Citizen posted:

with all this hand shaking Trump is doing more to wipe out billionaires than Sanders ever could

Yeah there is like a 90% chance that at least someone on that stage has the Corona and we're witnessing live transmissions.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Straight White Shark posted:

"Elective surgery" includes a lot of medically useful and even necessary surgeries, it just means that it's not a medical emergency. Hernias, joint replacements, benign tumors, all elective.

Which, yeah, still deserve to be on the back burner when you have an influx of patients in respiratory failure, but we're not just talking boob jobs here.

Yeah, I have surgery scheduled for just over a week from now that is technically 'elective' since it is to reattach a tendon and my arm mostly works in the meantime but it is time sensitive and if I don't have it done quickly I just have an arm that is only 80% forever so I'm really hoping we don't get to that point before the end of March.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dreylad posted:

I'd say, without any real certainty obviously, end of March is as late as you'd want to leave anything like that. The way cases are increasing exponentially it's gonna be a wild April and a grim May.

It's as early as I could get it scheduled already and, possibly in a thing that is good luck, it's at a non hospital outpatient surgery place so I guess my main concern would be the surgeon or all the nurses in the facility being sick and having to postpone. The surgeon is traveling somewhere this week because his kids are on spring break though so he's definitely gonna be sick.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

OhFunny posted:

Cases in New Hampshire have risen to 13.

Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center has suspended all elective surgeries due to the nationwide shortage of medical supplies.

All K-12 schools are closed for three weeks.

The state legislature has suspended meetings for a week, potentially longer.

I posted this on Friday but I have an 'elective' surgery scheduled for a week for today to fix a ruptured tendon and if I don't get it done by, we'll, next week, then my arm is never going to be back to 100% again so I really, really hope that doesn't become a thing everywhere.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

There Bias Two posted:

Is anyone else actually experiencing a decrease in anxiety as our hosed up societal trends spin down for once? It's obviously a major crisis that is negatively impacting many, yet there's a small part of me that is glad to see the world actually paying attention to other priorities for once.

Naw because there is going to be a shitload of layoffs happening throughout this year even if things pick right back up again in a month. And things aren't going to pick right back up again in a month.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

New table just came in. It's a 250 pound 5'9 meathead with a MAGA cap and his son. First thing he said to the server was how convenient this virus is for getting a table without hassle

Joke is on us. They're all gonna get it while the hospitals aren't overloaded yet.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

Has anyone tried calling it "The Chinese Virus" or "The Wuhan Flu?" I feel like that would fix it.

The thread title was a Wuhan Flu joke for at least a month.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

precision posted:

Just wanna point out again that in many places, the closing of "restaurants" does not include fast food places, which on average handle 500% more money than casual or fine dining

Someone needs to make a bigger deal about this, fast food chains need to shut down or at least go to drive thru only.

All the fast food type places that have my email from online ordering have all closed thier dining rooms and gone takeout or drive-thru only but I guess that's really a half measure if people sit around waiting for thier food and it's made by a guy with Corona who can't take the day off.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

shoom posted:

I got swabbed for coronavirus today (results in 1-3 days) and want to clear up some bullshit I read in this thread, it is not at all like "being lobotomized" lol

It is uncomfortable and made my eyes water a bit, but on the scale of an influenza swab being a 1 and getting punched in the nose a 10 then this is a 2-3 at worst

Roll out the drive-through tests asap

I got STD tested at a free clinic once in college. No swab can be worse than that one.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gripweed posted:

That is completely inaccurate. You knew the woman you were courting because most of the time it was set up between families. She was probably your neighbor. In fact, for an unmarried man to write letters to an unmarried woman was considered really inappropriate and potentially scandalous.

There's a whole subculture on Twitter of 20 something women that just complain about their ex/current/future boyfriends being lovely and they get half a million likes every time. I don't get it but one person I follow likes a bunch of those tweets so Twitter keeps showing them to me.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

MarcusSA posted:

why would the judge deny it?? like wtf

Because they didn't try to ask the legislature to just change the date themselves first.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Well, my surgery just got postponed by a month because they are canceling all elective surgeries in town starting thursday. Congrats Corona, you've given me a permanently gimpy arm.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

All this means testing is very stupid because there are going to be thousands of people that made that kind of money last year that are losing their jobs and now make zero.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Vernii posted:

My company finally put a pandemic protocol into place when Trump declared a national emergency. Before that it was just "avoid being around sick people" but now its "work from home will be authorized once someone in the building tests positive." :downs:

However, no one is being tested so basically that just means you'll never get to work from home.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

And then any celebrity that wants a test can get one, and they're coming up positive like loving crazy. Because it's already spread everywhere, normal people just can't get tested properly yet.

The upside of that, at least, is that it implies that it's asymptomatic for most people. Not that that helps at all for those who aren't.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

I dunno, seems pretty anticipated, actually.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
My county has ICUs but the hospitals in town are already putting out requests for donations of PPE because they are running low even though they haven't had to treat anybody with COVID yet. Just the increased precautions are running them out of stock and they can't order more.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

mad.radhu posted:

What ....what are they hunting.

Birds, probably.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Joementum posted:

i mean, that's cool, but also lmao that we have cloud storage and analytics for people taking their temp

Yeah that was my first thought as well. Why the hell does that data even exist? Also wouldn't it also just track the type of person who buys an IoT thermometer?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

That kinda owns even if it is creepy as gently caress.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dog Toothbrush posted:

whoa WHOA youre psychotic for posting this!!

I mean he's not wrong though. Our society and economy isn't set up to have millions of people sitting at home unable to work. You already have whole industries completely shut down and more in the process of doing so. And even for people who are able to work from home there are going to be mass layoffs if there are no customers buying anything.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Dog Toothbrush posted:

hmmm looks like SOMEBODY cares about number more than people!!

(you're exactly correct)

It's because the number in this case is "number of people who can afford to buy food" as opposed to "how's your 401k"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

triple sulk posted:

10% death rate of diagnosed cases is real real real bad

In the US you basically have to already be dieing of the rona to get tested for the rona.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Monkey Fracas posted:

lmao a week of panic and no meaningful federal-level plans to deal with it

you're on your own everyone bye bye

Yeah that is the most hosed up part right now. This is still our time to be getting prepared and it is being wasted so we're gonna be even more hosed in a few weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I can't believe the rear end in a top hat I fired a warning shot at would fire warning shots back at me.