Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

i just finished a pulmonary critical care rotation

ama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

twoday posted:

how was it?

well pulm floors are kinda the newspaper at the bottom of the birdcage in that they catch everything. everyone in critical care dies of respiratory failure.

my typical patient was on a vent, renal failure, congestive heart failure, COPD, diabetes.

We ran a bunch of codes, bronchs, and intubations, but other than that it was mostly managing patients

i learned a poo poo load though

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

twoday posted:

so should I start hoarding food or what

if you want something valuable you can buy as much of as you want hoard insulin.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

in any flu or pneumonia, concrete testing will often times lag behind clinical symptoms.

for example, in pneumonia in the elderly especially, chest xrays can lag by as a much as a week following presentation.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Regarding that video of patients lying on the floor, you can see that in basically every big city ER in the United States.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Had a patient tonight who got lockdown procedures for possible coronavirus. From an area effected, timeline fit, flu symptoms, etc.

Turns out he just had metastatic lung cancer with mets to the brain.

So bullet dodged, I guess.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trevor Hale posted:

I saw the play Bug last night, and it ends with two people racing headfirst into madness as they feed off of each other’s paranoid fantasies.

You could probably swap out the closing monologue for several posts from this thread.

I saw an incredibly graphic version of this where the two actors were naked and covered with blood from the first act ending until the end.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Squizzle posted:

the darkest goon meet

:corona: :gooncamp:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Panic! At the Costco was a user name back in like 2014 of some random dude in GBS

I stole it for my team name at Wodapalooza

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

some serious ST elevation there

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I like to think they're just opening random doors and finding another 100 dead.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

im the propane space heater in the middle of the room

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tei posted:

Old people have a lot of political power in technology, science and politics. Sometimes the only way for society to progress is to wait for the next generation to take place.

I don't think coronavirus is going to accelerate that by much, and a lot of the younger next generations will come with very conservative ideas, so we can't expect many of our problems to be solved. It may have a small positive effect. But whats that compared to a economic crysis and lots of people dying?

even your conservative chuds are generally in favor of things like healthcare, relaxed drug laws, etc.

the boomers are against all these things because they feel it'll interfere with their already free healthcare, and since the politically active ones are heavily invested in the markets they'll do everything they can to make sure number go up, regardless of the connection to reality

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a.lo posted:

I'm going to bring my own utensils to the restaurant tonight

bringing your own food too?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

a.lo posted:

did you know doom 3 released the same day as the nintendo ds?

there were goons that preordered duke nukem eternal in 1999

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

How hard would it really be to break out of Italian prison

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

this is loving horrifying

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

ICU beds are used for other things beside COVID-19. Maybe someone with more health worker knowledge knows what the normal % of availability in flu season is.

I just did a pulmonary rotation in a specialty hospital within one of the two main hospitals for east tennessee. We had 28 beds for pulmonary ICU, then another 20 or so for general ICU.

Then we had a couple of stray ventilators that would usually find their way to the neuro floor. But people loving desat all the time, and the decision to intubate has to be made quickly and requires quite a few people.

like this is kinda nuts. It means that they're running out of pulmonologists and RTs, and are just treating acid base disorders on the fly by pamphlet

https://twitter.com/jasonvanschoor/status/1237144317610819585?s=20

a freshly minted ortho surgeon hasn't had to worry about lungs in like 4 years lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

also guess how many inpatient hospitals there are in the united states designed for people who need intubation and dialysis

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

until like 5 minutes ago i had not really considered the fact that my moderate asthma could lead to coronavirus being quite deadly to me

lmfao

nah, that's easily corrected

but I bet there's a whole bunch of people in italy with COPD whos paperwork is getting lost

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

please stop smoking everyone

if you're in your thirties and don't already have smoker's cough it won't drastically increase your chances of contracting boomerflu but just stop smoking anyway

also vaping. when the literature is written we're going to see a huge uptick in pneumothorax attributed to vaping

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

what about smokin weed from a bong how bad is that poo poo for you

thats probably fine

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

snoo posted:

for real I've been cooking poo poo like this the last week and I just wish I had more of my favorite kimchi in this trying time

hit me with a recpie for both tia

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

ohrwurm posted:

hell yeah, corona has landed in philly

If any city could just naturally wipe it out....

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Schnorkles posted:

Philadelphia, notoriously, did about the dumbest thing possible in the pandemic in 1918 and held a giant parade and as such had one of the highest rates of infection in the country

https://twitter.com/vmudream/status/1034247673883385856?s=21

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHbtR8uO81M

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

if you are going to an airport, you will be exposed

if you are exposed, there's a good chance you'll get it

if you get it, you'll be miserable for a few days if you don't have a preexisting condition or aren't :corsair:

the biggest threat on this forum is someone passing it to someone who is susceptible

so basically ask your parents if they voted for biden, and if they did use these cheap flights to go see them and give them a big hug.

also spit in their food

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

I listened to a podcast with a smart doctor that said flu season is basically over now and nobody has the flu. Then I listened to another podcast with a smart doctor who said the flu is still going around like crazy in March on top of covid. Which is it?

I’m diagnosing about 10 people a day with flu.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Son of Man posted:

Where is Trump

When was the last time anyone saw Trump

Trump is dead

He almost certainly has it.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao trump is absolutely going to die from boomer flu

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The Skeleton King posted:

I'm wondering what the long term effects on the world will be, especially if Corona proves to be as strong as it claims to be.

Best case scenerio in my opinion would be elimination of a decent chunk of the boomer generation, global economic recession, a fall of popularity for capitalism among the masses, especially in the healthcare sector, and a weakening of global industry.

Here's hoping that comrade Corona virus can steer our world onto a slightly less lovely course.

It’s going to be like seasonal flu where ya have to get your corona shot every year.

Some years will be worse than others, some years the vaccine won’t be as good.

This is just our life now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

:wtc: gonna need more confirmation on that

Things are VERY bad in Iran right now.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Trump is absolutely going to cancel at the last second and pocket the money.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

power word- Jeb! posted:

good luck medical goons

One of my classmates just got his primary care rotation cancelled in a nursing home, so now his next one is with me.

We’re going to a family medicine practice in middle Tennessee lmao

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Girlfriend and I had a cabin rental in gatlinburg for the hell of it and we’re just walking around the strip

Like 1/5 of these people will be dead in a month.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

He’ll be fine.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Barr going down would be like Christmas.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Take a dollar from Medicaid to test or pay ten to treat once they show up to the er.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Ok so hypothetically if you were caring for 2 people with coronavirus with no hospital access, what (medical) supplies and equipment would you want?

Tylenol and Motrin for fever control

Gatorade/pedialyte for rehydration

mucokytics to help with cough

Decongestants to help with congestion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

E Depois do Adeus posted:

Like should I buy albuterol and a nebulizer or IV equipment or what

nebulizer would be used to administer albuterol.

What would you start IV?