Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

This probably makes Sinn Fein look much cooler than they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

Also add Saoirse McHugh to the list of people who should be elected along with Gary Gannon imo

https://twitter.com/ellenmcoyne/status/1219998998406291456?s=19

She's great, you should vote for her.

What's the projected outcome anyway? Another FF / FG coalition or is that not happening again? Would SF prop up those 2 or is it one of them plus whatever small party support they can cobble together?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

mehall posted:

Most people I've spoken to basically expect FF and FG to swap places, pretty much.

But with the expectation that they'd support each other, I assume?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for the breakdowns, I know answering this poo poo for foreigners can get tiresome sometimes.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

How strict are the parties in Ireland wrt removing the whip-equivalent? If the greens go into coalition with FF/FG and that nice lady from the first page doesn't vote with them is she likely to get booted? Though I gather being an independent in Ireland isn't the career ender it is in the UK since some of them actually get elected?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

kustomkarkommando posted:

Yeah the whip in Irish parties is pretty drat strong and a lot less forgiving than the UK, the Dail doesn't really have backbench party rebels like Westminster as rather than having three levels of whips theres just one - usually you vote against the party line and you get expelled from the parliamentary party immediately, even abstaining without permission is extremely dodgy.

If she refused to vote for the parties choice of taoiseach I would say that's an immediate booting tbh

I was more thinking voting for the coalition but not any poo poo policies. Are the whips usually applied formally in votes or just taken as standard that you'll vote with the party? If the former, then how often? Just big votes or "everything gently caress you". Just wondering what the wiggle room is. Not that it matters really, no party will tolerate someone playing silly buggers unless it's a strategy to appear to not go along with the coalition's worst bits while stoll waving them through.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Personally I like Renua's bird/three different coloured chillis logo.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Best of luck today, comrades!

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Pretty sure SF ran more candidates in the last election and it definitely ended up hurting them.

Out of curiosity, how? Do people not give all their top ranks to the same party? That's wild if you want those guys to get in.

And even if they don't, can the party not publish a guide to who should get 1st preference out of their candidates?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Is ard fheis like a Party's conference?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ah cool, so they'll just rules lawyer it from happening and/or ignore it then :v:

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Blut posted:

None of this has happened in countries that opened schools. You're literally talking in "well this could happen, this might happen, we don't know if this will happen". But we have many many countries that have had schools open for months now, where literally none of this happened.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/07/school-openings-across-globe-suggest-ways-keep-coronavirus-bay-despite-outbreaks

There are plenty of other studies out there on this by now too. Over 20 countries had reopened their schools by July, and other like Taiwan never even bothered to close them in the first place.

Irish schools, and Irish school children, are not some sui generis creatures different to children across the rest of Europe.

And other countries, like Israel, that have similar class sizes to Ireland have opened and had massive spikes. Maybe.. This isn't super simple but opening schools is still very dangerous??

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

crispix posted:

UK libson twitter love him too but that's because they are morons with poo poo for brains, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

So the way it is going and with all the fuss when the Government was formed back in the end of June, I'd say that some TD from West of the Shannon is sitting in a room with pictures of all the Ministers and has started drawing red symbols through them one by one.

Which TD has the best serial killer vibes for this?

Honestly? Leo wouldn't shock me.