Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe
All I know is I'm voting Green.

gently caress FF but also a big gently caress you to FG, as someone who works in mental health, I have seen the damage their polices have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Looks like little to no recovery or development outside of urban centres has finally bitten FG on the arse (two polls is pretty telling). I'm certainly opposed to the idea of "anyone but FG" but I am glad they are looking to loose out here.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pretty much, the seem rattled.

Edit: FF played the minority government well, Martin let leo (et al ) push the FG agenda.... which it seems has pissed off people (who would of thought that fiscal conservatism would do that?)... That and the homeless man being hurt in Cork.

It's anyone's chance now, the greens and Labour had their chance, could it be the Shinners now?

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 3, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blut posted:

If Coveney had won the FG leadership race I think they would be in a much, much better position right now. Under him the party probably would have been centerist enough to at least intervene partially in the housing crisis in 2017. Not enough to fix it mind you, but enough so they wouldn't look completely incompetent as they do now after persisting with Leo's hands-off neoliberal approach for far too long.

And obviously Coveney actually being capable, and having substance/character, would stand to him a lot more so than Leo's PR obsessed, vacuous, approach.

As my partner said, the last thing people want is to see Leo's face when they are living at home with their parents trying to scrape a mortgage.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Jesus christ imagine a sinner government lads. HA!

gently caress you Leo, your a tofffffffffff!

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of independents, I have from a good source that Danny Healy-Rae is notorious for destroying the Dáil Jacks after a shite.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

kustomkarkommando posted:

as a trinity graduate I don't think a party led by a private schoolgirl from churchtown who went to TCD should start calling people toffs

but also gently caress leo

Tbh I'm going to vote green, still... from working in mental health and seeing the devastation FG have caused, I'm laughing my hole off at these poles.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Seat projections from paddy power

https://twitter.com/adriancummins/status/1224703208276316162?s=19

Seems to factor SFs unused surpluses cutting towards FF over transferring left which could be an issue tbh

I do see SF getting in but I would love if they get more seats than FG.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

TG4 has taken the pulse of the Kingdom

https://twitter.com/harrymcgee/status/1224770992268087299?s=19

The Healy Rae alliance -14% - Danny looks dead?

The mens Jacks in the Dáil might finally see a reprieve.

Edit: Danny has been notorious for sprouting some utter bollox in the Dáil in the last few years, so not surprised if he gets the boot.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Feb 4, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

lol everyone saying they want to go into government with the greens on the debate - most be rubbing their hands together

Yeaaaahh because that worked for the greens in the past.

Coalitions ruin smaller parties, just look at the pd's, greens and especially Labour.

Tbh, smaller parties are better off forming a loose block of opposition rather than forming into a coalition government, citing the above reason.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Harry McGee at the Irish Times having a stab at a seat projection based on current polling and per constituency predictions (with the usual hesitancy about those final seats)

FF - 53
FG - 38
SF - 28
Greens - 14
Labour - 8
SocDems - 3
Sol-PBP - 2
Indos & Others - 14

If SF do hit high 20's in national vote share but that only translates to 17% of seats due to the geographical concentration and their candidate strategy might agitate for another election very very soon

I'd say that the FG count is a little generous. I could see them loosing more seats (not necessarily to SF) but to the other parties and FF.

FF are really saying the right things(unfortunately) which plays into the gripes of the country (the state that public transport is in under FG, being a less vocal but still major issue for the rest of the rural country).

Could be a FF/FG coalition, or FF majority. SF will do well but the recent attacks will do damage.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 6, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ugh, really sick of FG and want them out, hopefully transfers help here.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Who ever gets in needs to sort out the shambles that is public transport in this country.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
SF and FF is bad for SF. I'd say SF let it go to a another election to try capitalise on SF popularity (pushing more candidates).

But it does not mean that will work. A lot of people on the streets buy into SF being leftist and against Ff/FG, it would wipe out their base support to form a coalition.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Danny Healey Rae being re-elected. And see what his response is.

https://twitter.com/cleomurphy64/status/1226579760568000516?s=19

loving mutant.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

This from the women who essentially boiled the English occupation down to the Irish hitting themselves.

It's gas how many of the Gammon chuds come out of the woodwork.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 10, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

quote:

Today I am ashamed of my country, a vast number of whose voters have intentionally or unwittingly just endorsed a fascist party.

But people didn't vote for FG.
Oh you mean SF are the Fascist party, not the political party that actually has it's roots in Fascist ideology. So you are just a moron. Carry on.

In other news, Kevin "Boxer" Moran tears are delicious.

https://www.thejournal.ie/kevin-boxer-moran-2-5000223-Feb2020/

Yeah, someone is pushing the fascist line hard, that's the third I have heard it pushed.

If there is a repeat election what is to bet that the idea that SF is the new scare line.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blut posted:

Paddypower have the FF/SF/Green government as their most likely outcome, but we'll see.

Well put.

Working with this, I think FF will want to go for a FF/SF/G coalition. Its the safest for them, is not tainted by the last 10 years and they can use SF/G polices to help mend the FF taint. It's also the worst for SF, who could loose their base support if they "do a deal with the devil" and join with FF for a chance to govern. The Greens will be fine either way.

I don't see anyone wanting to form a coalition with FG, their loses this election is a stark reflection on the publics opinion on their polices and are the new "tainted goods". People muse at a FF/FG coalition, but it would just end up making SF stronger and cost both parties in the long run.

Interesting times ahead lads.

Edit: I personally reckon that SF might actually avoid a coalition and try for a second election.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Feb 11, 2020

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

i really cannot see SF entering government unless they're given the keys to the kingdom. it's easily spun as a sell-out and they need to make sure that it's worth it so FF bleeds instead of them. SF can just stay out of it and try to topple any ramshackle government that comes out of this without their support at the earliest convenient scandal

I agree, it makes no sense for SF to work with FF or FG. Not sure if SF will give up a chance to be a proper opposition.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

V. Illych L. posted:

in every coalition, there are winners and losers. you do not get a coalition government without some members suffering badly. in a coalition between two party as clearly at odds as SF and FF (and, to make it even spicier, with another bunch of people in the mix as well!) there's going to be a knife-fight from day one. ireland's political dynamic is very odd to me since the main political divide seems to no longer be particularly relevant, but an outsider party going into government with a more centrist established party is almost invariably the one to bleed. the only exception from this rule that comes to mind is the danish people's party, which actually stayed out of government on a confidence and supply agreement propping up the Liberal party. conversely, outsiders who stay in opposition almost never lose support.

if they enter coalition, SF is going to try its very best to destroy FF and take its place as one of the main parties of the republic while FF is going to fight desperately to put them back in their box. it's going to be a shite working environment all around. they might settle on this, but nobody is going to enter that relationship with any illusions - SF is poised to take over the place of one of the traditional big boys, and they are going to take their shot at some point. if FF can make FG be their junior partner while SF head up the opposition, FG can die instead of FF.

If this election showed anything, its that there is a lot of hatred for both FG and FF on their own.

Put that hatred together in a coalition and have SF act as an opposition to it?

It would destroy FF and FG and give a SF their place as the number 2 party.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Tbh I do not see another few years of Supply and confidence working for FF/FG, if anything its just going to be perceived as a repeat of the last few years.

That will then land squarely on FF and FG unless they make some rear end pulls to keep everyone happy (which I doubt if FG keep their fiscal Conservatism going).

Roll out another election and go for broke is only real way FF would succeed here.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Jobs Bridge has made me loath FG/ Labour for life.

Labour should not survive after such blatent libertarian bullshit as Jobsbridge happened.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

The Question IRL posted:

Plus Ghost Ships often have Ghost Sailors (or even better. Ghost Pirates) on board. We can rely on them to sink those Mortal ships.

A good mix of seamen and ectoplasm.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skull Servant posted:

Leo/FG taking credit for it infuriates me. In his maiden speech Leo came out strongly against civil partnerships, saying a relationship should be between a man and a woman. I know on good authority that he has never stepped into a LGBT centre until the referendum campaign, and even then it is always to influence his profile. He has no love for the community and zero solidarity with LGBT people.
Would you have a link to that speech. Because he is a loving utter bollox if this is true. Reminds me of the puritanical Christian politicians in the States who decry LGBT culture publicly and are gay privately.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Arquinsiel posted:

I've been told by various organisers of the push for MarRef that when he was asked about it at various events he laughed and told them it'd never happen. Also when he became a Minister Matt stopped playing Magic the Gathering in Gamer's World on Jervis street, apparently "just in case".

Of all places, the last place I would have thought gamers would be mentioned would be in this context/here.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Oh yeah we got one of those.

Oh wait no we got Coronavirus

Northies, we still have denial room.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Ah piss wank.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
General Hygiene folks.

Grab a pack of tissues and some hand sanitizer. If you feel sick the former is vital if you need to sneeze or cough into something.

Stay away from older friends and family and self isolate. If you need supplies, Tesco deliver (try not make the delivery man a vector though).

All in all, stay safe and I hope everyone is OK.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Mackers posted:

Murmers of our glorious army being mustered to lock this poo poo down come monday

There is a snap chat doing the rounds of a army dude giving orders about Monday, it's not a lock down sources say.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

E:^^^^^ :arghfist:

I'll wait for confirmation from Gibbo, Burnsy, Cheeks, and Ricey

Skittles says its a bum gig, roni is on the rounds.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

PowerBeard posted:

Government just announced closure of all pubs.

We're in the end times people, watch as people rush to buy slabs of beer and Taytos.

The rumours abound are that a lot of the loving idiots are now having CORVID-19 parties.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

PowerBeard posted:

We're doomed, aren't we?

No, a select group of idiots are doomed. The rest of us bought our slabs a week ago and self isolate in style.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

You know ten days before the entire country's rent due would be a great time to freeze rents for a while...

Even the Tories are giving a rent/mortgage freeze, the Tories! .

Wouldn't put it past Leo or FG to not give much though.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

When the rioting starts it'd be on their heads. For a subset of this country this is all a big laugh and it makes me so angry.

I hear you. I'm self employed and I have had to take a massive hit work wise. Thankfully I have contract work to fall back on and the missus works from home and has a secure job.

Still, FG/FF or whome ever gets in needs to sort something ASAP.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
I would contest they make a big fuss about providing measures, which they do follow through on.

But accessing these measures is only through hellish amounts of red tape like every other benefit FG grudgingly introduced.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Marenghi posted:

Anyone had a look on daft lately?
Thousands of properties available to rent across Dublin city at the moment. Whole blocks in the docklands with hundreds of units each up for rent by American Real Estate companies.
Hundreds of nice studios across D8 and D6 available now, studios in those areas used to be rarer than hens teeth.

The landlords are so desperate some of the ads are offering the first month or even two months rent free.

loving lol. Choke on your loses you vulcher fucks.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Seems like there is going to be a rental decrease as landlords run to get tenants.

Tentively I reckon there will be a drastic drop in home equity also.

Fun times.

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Blut posted:

https://www.independent.ie/business...t-39061809.html

A 64% increase in available Dublin rental properties :aaa:

gently caress the airbnb landlords and the people who defended them as "not making a significant difference to the rental market".

I also think they are under reporting, I'd say there still plenty of properties who will try hold out until this "blows over".

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe
Marenghi Condolences.

Things are getting serious lads, I hope you all stay safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Gards flew their helicopter up the top of Bray Head today to tell everyone to go the gently caress home.

Any vidyas?