Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

In worst China news, Vancouver just had its first confirmed case of Wuhan coronavirus. The 40-year old patient is well aware of what is going on and has voluntarily self-isolated at home.

I just got back from the Parker Place mall in Richmond, where the lines were at the medical centers to buy masks instead of at the place to buy BBQ pork. I was the only person there without a mask and with BBQ pork. :getin::unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Glenn Quebec posted:

He would've taken her up on the first "wa...nigah" but only if he didn't eat chug a gallon of half and half and get distended ache stomach

Ftfy.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

2019 China: "This is killing!"
2020 China: Hold my beer and watch this...

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

No no they're not dead, they're, they're restin'! Remarkable people, the Han Chinese, idn'it, ay? Beautiful culture!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China gets serious about stopping the Wuhan Flu.

https://twitter.com/SCMPNews/status/1223171530927951872

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I'm conflicted. Was he a good doctor because he found a strain of some weird virus and tried to warn people. Or was he a bad doctor because he got sick with something treatable and died anyway.

He was 70% good, 30% bad.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Name the virus the Li Wenliang Memorial Coronavirus.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Putting these in the right thread.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Hope you aren't gluten intolerant though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

The pace of the Chinese nation’s great rejuvenation is unstoppable.

They need to find better translators. I don't know how you can mistranslate contagion into rejuvenation.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

Acting is a genetic trait!

How else do you explain the Barrymores?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Wish I could get a month off work.

Have a baby. I've been off for 2 months now.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i gotta know what it was

Bos taurus.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Also, don't discount public demand for additional Gs.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Mozi posted:

everything went south after the warring states period anyways

Things didn't go south; it was more of a journey to the west.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Blistex posted:

At this point I'm wondering which Charleston Heston movie is going to be the most accurate in portraying the end of humanity.

Planet of the Apes - Death by simians
Omega Man - Horrible disease kills nearly everyone
Soylent Green - Climate change and overpopulation deplete the planet's resources

Dude had a knack for picking cool apocalyptic films.

Ten Commandments - God brings down 10 plagues on the enemies of Israel.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Blistex posted:

This is a metaphor for Israel bringing the US into a nuclear war?

Just saying if you really love your firstborn, maybe consider being nicer to Israel.

Either that or invest in some lamb's blood.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

55 Days at Peking - With 13 of China's provinces forced into territorial concessions by colonial powers, frustration over foreign encroachment boils over when the Chinese leader encourages the people to attack all foreigners in Peking and the rest of China.

Peking's foreign embassies are gripped by terror, as the people, supported by Imperial troops, set about killing Christians in an anti-western nationalistic fever.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin posted:

anti-western nationalistic fever.

Coronavirus causes fever. Makes u think.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

quote:

As women age, they are worth less and less, so by the time they get their M.A. or Pd.D., they are already old, like yellowed pearls.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Nah, she'll be fine.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Mar 3, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My mom is going to see Shen Yun this weekend. :hmbol:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Bad news guys, my mom cancelled her Shen Yun tickets due to the Wuhan Flu. :shrug:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Blistex posted:

Wondering how the CCP is balancing the news in-country given that they're saying that China is weathering the Virus better than the US, but the US is also somehow responsible for it. You'd think if the US was introducing a biological weapon into China they would have closed the border much earlier.

There is no critical thinking in Xi Jinping Thought, comrade!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Shumagorath posted:

Sorceress' conclave?

It's a coven or a cabal.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

COVID-19 is the gift that keeps on giving.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My kid just got a bunch of red envelopes, but he was born right before Chinese New Year. :shrug:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Kharnifex posted:

Congee with century eggs and salted pork is great

:hai:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

peanut posted:

gently caress yes I'm imaging everything as coconut, taro, or sesame flavor :swoon:

It's pandan or coconut milk mostly.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, I went into a wet market trying to get me some Blood Ravens merch.

Not a single pewter figure in sight.

Really? When I went to a wet market I had no problems getting Raven's Blood. Freshly squeezed too.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The fifth piece was the friends we made along the way.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Lululemon Staffer's 'Bat Fried Rice' T-Shirt Insults China

https://twitter.com/balleralert/status/1252681274751250432?s=20

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A bunch of Buddhist vegetarian dishes are 100% gluten though.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The Great Autismo! posted:

hello comrades, just wanted to check in and make sure that everyone is doing their part to decenter eurocentrism today, and working hard to not only dismantle but completely extinguish white supremacy and western hegemony in every aspect of their daily lives. keep fighting the good fight!!

I'm glad to see you're back from your camping trip in Xinjiang.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

B. Cereus and also possible botulism (if you leave it at room temp for a while)

Surely, you can't B. cereus.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ricin is just leftover rice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

hakimashou posted:

Bear in mind that chinese traditional "medicine" rejects the germ theory of disease in favor of a medieval "balance of humors" approach.

"Nature posted:

China is promoting coronavirus treatments based on unproven traditional medicines
Scientists say rigorous trial data are needed to show that remedies are safe and effective.

The Chinese government is heavily promoting traditional medicines as treatments for COVID-19. The remedies, a major part of China’s health-care system, are even being sent to countries including Iran and Italy as international aid. But scientists outside China say it is dangerous to support therapies that have yet to be proved safe and effective.

There are currently no proven treatments for the deadly respiratory disease caused by the new coronavirus, although many countries are trialling existing and experimental drugs. So far, only one — the antiviral remdesivir — has been shown, in randomized control trials, to have some potential to speed up recovery.

In China, senior government officials and the state media are pushing a range of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) as being effective at alleviating COVID-19 symptoms and reducing deaths from the disease. However, there are no rigorous trial data to demonstrate that the remedies work.

Although the efficacy of some TCM remedies for COVID-19 is being tested, some researchers say the trials have not been rigorously designed and are unlikely to produce reliable results. Government officials and TCM practitioners deem the remedies safe because some have been used for thousands of years, but significant side effects have been reported.

“We are dealing with a serious infection which requires effective treatments. For TCM, there is no good evidence, and therefore its use is not just unjustified, but dangerous,” says Edzard Ernst, a UK-based retired researcher into complementary medicines.

Other world leaders have promoted unproven treatments for COVID-19. US President Donald Trump has pushed the use of hydroxychloroquine, an antimalarial drug with significant potential side effects, whose effectiveness against COVID-19 is still being studied. And the president of Madagascar, Andry Rajoelina, has also claimed that a herbal drink can cure people of COVID-19.

But those leaders’ claims have been criticized by scientists in their countries. By contrast, in China, criticism of TCM is muted. The industry is worth billions of dollars per year, and receives aggressive government support.

‘Noxious dampness’
TCM is based on theories about qi, said to be a vital energy that helps the body to maintain health. Zhang Boli, president of the Tianjin University of Traditional Chinese Medicine and a member of the national team leading China's response to the coronavirus outbreak, said the severe cases could be attributed to a “noxious dampness,” which can cause qi to stagnate.

By March, TCM remedies constituted some of China's health ministry’s recommended treatments for COVID-19, and included a couple of dozen pills, powders, injectable therapies and recipes to make herbal teas, known as decoctions.

According to Chinese state media, the State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine says three formulas and three medicines “have proved” effective treatments for the disease. The newspaper China Daily has reported that “comparative experiments” showed that a group of people with COVID-19 who took Jinhua Qinggan, herbal granules developed to combat H1N1 influenza in 2009, got better faster than those who did not take the capsules, and tested negative for the new virus more than two days sooner. No further details were provided. Another comparative study described in China Daily reported that injections of Xuebijing, a concoction of five herbal extracts which is supposed to “detoxify and remove blood stasis”, reduced the mortality rate of patients with severe illness by 8.8%, when combined with standard medicines.

Huang Luqi, a TCM practitioner and head of the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences in Beijing, says that starting in January, he led trials of another three TCM remedies to treat COVID-19, and found that they were safe and effective. On China’s clinical-trials website, the treatments are described simply as traditional Chinese medicine. According to the website, one remedy aims to treat COVID-19 symptoms, another to keep mild cases from becoming severe or critical, and a third to reduce the time taken for a patient to test negative for the virus. Huang did not respond to requests for more details, but says the results will be published soon.

Other scientists say there is no convincing evidence that these remedies are effective against COVID-19. Although the trials had control groups, practitioners and patients don't seem to have been blinded to who was receiving the experimental treatment. Double-blind trials are the gold standard for assessing a treatment’s efficacy. “Unless evidence can be demonstrated, it is unethical to market TCM methods with claims of effects,” says Dan Larhammar, a cell biologist at Uppsala University in Sweden.

Something not necessarily better than nothing
People’s faith in complementary medicines is understandable given that there is no agreement about what works against COVID-19, says Paul Offit, an infectious-disease researcher at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in Pennsylvania. But suggesting that people try alternative medicines could do harm, he says. “People think doing something is better than doing nothing. History tells us that’s not true.”

Several of the ‘decoctions’ promoted by the health ministry’s official COVID-19 treatment guidelines include a herb called ephedra, which contains the stimulant pseudoephedrine. Extracts of the herb containing this substance have been banned in the United States and several European countries after a string of deaths in the 1990s and 2000s among those who used it for dieting or energy enhancement.

Ernst says that without clear evidence that these treatments work and are safe, China shouldn’t be sending them to other countries.

“All parts of a package must be proven to work,” he says. Although TCM is a very important export item for China, promoting it during the pandemic “seems reckless and dangerous”, he says. China has also sent masks and other protective equipment and ventilators to many countries, including the United States, and contributed US$50 million to the World Health Organization (WHO) for its COVID-19 response.)

The WHO initially discouraged the use of traditional remedies to treat COVID-19. For the first months of the outbreak, they were listed on the agency’s website as “not effective against COVID-2019 and can be harmful”.

The guidance has since been updated and the warning removed. A WHO spokesperson, Tarik Jašarević, says the original statement “was too broad and did not take into account the fact that many people turn to traditional medicines to alleviate some of the milder symptoms of COVID-19”. Jašarević says the guidance stresses that there is no evidence that any current medicine — traditional or otherwise — can prevent or cure the disease, and that the WHO does not recommend self-medication with any substance as a prevention or cure for COVID-19.

Criticism of China’s own support for TCM treatments for COVID-19 is unlikely to gain a foothold inside the country. In late April, a doctor at a hospital in Hubei province was censured and demoted from his administrative positions after posting online that China’s recommendations on COVID-19 treatments, particularly TCM remedies, were not science-based. The doctor told Nature that he could not be interviewed on the topic.

Mods please change my name to Noxious Dampness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

IMHO China needs to return to cutting the balls off of all government officials.