Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Meme Poker Party posted:

I am declaring war on China.

This hurts the feelings of the Chinese people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Dandywalken posted:

Was there any reason stated behind this? Sounds overdramatic in thread tbh

Likely a lack of movement on forced technology transfer under the guise of "licensing deals" in exchange for Chinese market access. For years, particularly in tech industries, China has basically conditioned domestic market access on partnering with a Chinese firm in a JV, or licensing your tech to a Chinese firm. Many of the involved Chinese firms then start using the IP or production techniques or whatever beyond what's agreed, and the western company has no recourse outside the Chinese court system which is ineffective here.

This has been an issue at both the WTO level and bilaterally for a number of years - the four lists of Chinese gods subject to increased import duties was Trump's attempt to get at this, but USTR has never found an effective enough lever to get China to stop. And now there's this, coupled with the Biden administration's drive to onshore various technologies, including chip manufacturing.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

url posted:

I find this term particularly difficult.

I will not disagree with the problematic Chinese implementation/practice/consequences.

But, there is no 'force', and the long established international agreements (specifically designed to avoid slavery and abuse) have legitimate value.

Not one company operates without having agreed to the rules. It isn't forced by any definition of force, unless you object to the international agreed upon literal anti-slavery laws.

Fair enough, but it's the term of art used in the US bar. And I wholly fail to see why your second point, about anti-slavery laws, is relevant. The issue is about the use of IP beyond the terms agreed to.

If I'm misunderstanding a more general point about the effectiveness of the WTO agreements then that's a different story, but lol at the state of them after the US kneecapping the Appellate Body, and lol at China ever having seriously attempted to implement its ascension representations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

The Good Eating Asia Corn on Pizza Space

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I, a stranger, have determined that you have not experienced a totally different situation.

You have been owned!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

WarpedNaba posted:

I thought his stuff in Spain was mostly with the anarchists, which he was pretty cool with.

Anarchists and the fourth international (trotskyist left). One of Catalonia's major labor unions was anarchist, and then there were, depending on the time, two or three active communist parties as well. Orwell basically ended up with a bunch of strange leftist bedfellows in an alliance of convenience against the Stalinist/third international forces.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Shumagorath posted:

(plus some great delivery by the hosts and guest).

Unlike the Chinese space program amirite

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

I don't think admitting you stole and subjugated a country comparably to what colonial america did is as good a look as they think it is

“We’re better than literal genocidaire Andrew Jackson” is a hell of a low bar to set for yourself, and then to run head-first into rather than clear.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Stink Billyums posted:

lol I'm imaging capsule hotels that have specific american sized capsules for width and dutch sized capsules for length

It’s the same capsule they just change which side the door’s on.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

BrigadierSensible posted:

I always used "Kimchi Cheerleader" instead of "Koreaboo"

Kimcheerleader, surely?

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

But China is a map of China? China makes China illegal!

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Cactus Ghost posted:

tbf the west doesn't really have much ground to stand on wrt scolding anyone about racism or race riots or ethnic cleansing

not that corporate news outlets care about that

Yes, yes, a u vas negrov veshaut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

I mean, fair. I know a guy who moved from College Station, TX to Doha, Qatar. He moved from a conservative, military dominated, theocratic petrostate to a conservative, military dominated, theocratic petrostate but with better shopping.