Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Ups_rail posted:

quote:

By the time the Chinese were ready to get down to the business of business, the gold standard was nearly a decade gone. Modern Communist China has known nothing but the era of fiat currencies and cheap money. It had no good habits to break.

Ups_rail posted:

quote:

Add the extravagances and exaggerations of the fiat era

Uhh, is he a goldbug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

That does not sound like an unreasonable amount of fuel to me.

Zakrello posted:

yes but they are in litres, not tonnes

Volume of fuel changes with temperature, so weight is actually the most accurate way to measure it.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Criss-cross posted:

Is this an "American learning about the metric system" post?

1 litre diesel = 0.83 kg diesel.

1 litre of water was originally equal to 1 kilogram, but that hasn't been true for 223 years. (Though it is close enough for most purposes).

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Isn't that just a motorway toll booth? I've been through a bunch in France that would look identical if the traffic got backed up.

Can't find a zoomed out view

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Tomn posted:

Isn't the issue less the fact that there's a lot of cars and more that they all funnel down into a tiny narrow bottleneck near the top of the picture?

Well they all funnel back down to 3-4 lanes in france too, the road does not continue with ~20 lanes.

https://www.google.com/maps/@45.4772536,4.8339246,782m/data=!3m1!1e3

I dunno, saying "50 lane road that merges to 4" makes it sound crazy. But "traffic backed up on the motorway" is just a regular occurrence.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its general east and se asia thread really isnt it? peeps do japanposting and koreaposting, seems reasonable to thaipost

anyways, who knows what goes on in the mind of a cop (prolly fascism i guess)

Grand Fromage posted:

This thread is for shitposting about Bad China (the PRC, Vancouver), Good China (Taiwan, Hong Kong, assorted diaspora communities), Real China (Korea), and Safe China (Japan). You've probably read the previous threads so you know what's up. Good things are also welcome!

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Strategic Tea posted:

tag urself, I'm 'fluke mentality ' :smith:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Ghostlight, more like gaslight, am I right

Dick Fontaine posted:

:dafuq: is there a gas leak in this thread?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Megillah Gorilla posted:

The idea of mangoes is delicious. The reality is disappointing.

I assume this is some sort of genetic thing, like Coriander

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Klyith posted:

lmao, still clinging to that 1960s commie paranoia about enemies having military topo maps in the age when satellites can do 1m-accurate radar elevation

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the prc's general-war-with-the-usa plan, as far as i understand, always includes as one of the first salvoes total satellite destruction. they have the missiles to start it, and kessler syndrome will do the rest. so they go at map-and-compass navigation harder, they always have an option for non-gps stuff in everything they do, etc

It's not like USA forgets the topo data they've already collected, shooting down the satellites doesn't help with that.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

The Moon Monster posted:

Destroying all satellites would completely cripple any modern military so I guess it stops an invasion of China at the cost of loving up everything else too.

Again, not what was argued. China loving with their own maps doesn't matter when satellites have been mapping them for years.

Running a modern military without gps would suck poo poo, but it's not like maps and compass is an unknown technology, INS doesn't work, or that nobody in the entire us mil haven't thought about what they would do in a gps denied environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacemaker_(running)

It's not super secret that some runners are just there (and paid for it) to help others.