Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CIGNX posted:

This NYTimes article talks about the dysfunction between the Chinese central and local governments, and how it makes it difficult for the government to respond to national crises like the corona virus outbreak. The last part about how democracies vs authoritarian governments align with public good is not so great, but the rest of the article is a pretty good read.

https://www.nytimes.com./2020/01/25/world/asia/coronavirus-crisis-china-response.html
你没有看到石墨。它不在那里

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I went looking for the post that got caps sent for vocational training and now can't remember who Monkeu is/was or why he's out $50 in re-regs this week.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
are you trying to monopolize the forum supply of cognitive dissonance jose

since you're probably not going to connect the dots: how do you post something to the effect of "kill all cops" a few months back then come here and stan for the most cop political system on earth

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 1, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Stink Billyums posted:

My uncle's at a major trade show right now and he said retailers are scrambling to find available product, it looks like the epidemic is going to impact production enough that ship dates will be missed and they're worried about keeping shelves fully stocked.
Maybe this will teach us not to centralize all the manufacturing for the entire world economy?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

LifeSunDeath posted:

Always accelerating towards maximum dystopia. Cameras and AI tracking are bad enough, but imagine a world where batteries work really really well, and drones can just stay in flight all day, constantly harassing people in the street, on the farms, no where is safe, always being watched, always being judged.

Disappointed this didn't make the OP

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

The White Dragon posted:

jokes on them turns out AIs are like "lol gently caress that" and do the equivalent of smoking computer weed all day
posting from 2047 and that's just what we call bitcoin

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Montréal is the only reason we put up with the rest of Québec.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
China thread: Shorting comings?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blistex posted:

(he was a gun nut, joined the PLA, and left after he realised that they don't actually train soldiers to fight).
I'd love to hear more on this front. Is it all protest control or what?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Always multiply the number of NMS tags by the years since their reg date.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Bronze Fonz posted:

I hope the words "Can you do that?" become so recurring the CCP tries to ban them from any online discourse.
I hope "Can you do that?" graffitis pop up everywhere.
"Can you do that?" should follow every criticism of the Chinese government onwards.

"Maybe acting on the actual problems instead of trying to save face would be more helpful... can you do that?"
My favourite CCP phrase is "according to the law" because whenever you see it deployed you know what follows will be total horseshit. Better than "it is known".
https://youtu.be/foqUPiwMiOM

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Feb 9, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

oohhboy posted:

You can make a Bingo card out of what comes out of government departments, propaganda outlets, especially their "Diplomatic" service. Cut, paste, fill in the blanks. Shake the phrase box to sprinkle garnish. "Internal matter", "Hurt Chinese feelings", "Territorial sovereignty", "Rule of Law", "Chinese characteristics".

There is no reason why you can't make good translations from any language to another. They choose to gently caress it up. It will continue until they give up on using a glorified call centre script. The writers won't because all those phrases are "Safe".
If I make this bingo card can it go in the OP?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Everyone looking for an upside to this situation was quick to point out the achievement of the 10-day hospital construction, yet they glossed over where all the doctors were supposed to come from. The head of the WHO mission is a Canadian so I fully expect him to get detained According To The Law.

Zushio posted:

Isn't that Rainbow Six? I seem to recall a huge disease plot line in it.
The Division's Dollar Flu was pretty close - an engineered virus is seeded on hard currency before Black Friday and by Christmas the US has gone to poo poo.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Feb 11, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Please, it's Clancy. The pangolins would be pregnant not underage.
Pregnant Pangolin was the Ubuntu release not a novel

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Known Lecher posted:

Lol R "Genocide Explainer" Guyovich's parachute account got outed in the CSPAM Wuflu thread.
I read that as CSPAM Waifu Thread and didn't blink.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

chinese hair cave posted:

Has anyone heard of Pangzai, the Chinese peasant farmer who chugs beers tornado style and can break bottles with one hand? I’m worried about him because he keeps mentioning “I want to show what real peasant life is,rather than the propaganda films”. Is he at risk for being Dissapeared?
Pangzai is most of the OP, dude.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Taiwan claims all of China
...yes, and :confused:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Hadlock posted:

If having a credit crunch impacted the global economy in 2008, I can only imagine what restricting the movement of actual cash will do.
It's been mentioned a few times in this thread, but cash in China is basically dead now that everyone uses AliPay / WePay.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I cannot.

Korean museums state that all innovations come from Korea, not most. You loving anti-Han bigot.
Thanks to this thread, 35 years after Remo Williams I've finally realized Chiun is both a racist caricature and extremely accurate.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blistex posted:

Just loving WOW!
:murder:
Your friend already lost 50% or more of that inheritance, so what's another 1%? Just make sure he's kitted out to do it himself instead of that outsourced job from the last thread.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
It takes a very specific kind of person to take all of that definitive action while grieving, and it sounds like he's not it. You're a good person for helping him with this.

Blistex posted:

and if he digs deep in Chinese social media will find proof
:murder:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
There needs to be a tour of hecklers showing up to all his gigs with surgical masks and coughing non-stop.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Christ. gently caress that, never go back.
Go back and :murder:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blistex posted:

I told him to also talk to a financial advisor and go through everything together to make sure she doesn't have any more surprises in store for him.
Ask the RRSP administrator where that redemption was headed and see if he can get her on the line for fraud / theft over $5000.

Then track down where the request originated and :murder:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ded posted:

One of the guys that did this tried to sell the house from under his wife and 3 kids.
Realtalk if the family ever gets advance notice this guy is anywhere outside the CCP panopticon they should get there ahead of time and break his pelvis.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Pandemic simulation game Plague Inc. pulled from iOS App Store in China
Authorities offer vague statement alleging "content that is illegal in China."

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/02/pandemic-simulation-game-plague-inc-pulled-from-ios-app-store-in-china/

Maybe if they included the 9-dash line on the map they can get re-listed.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Atopian posted:

Chickens will eat almost anything they can kill, and they can kill more things than you'd think.
I once saw a group of chickens brutally murder a snake. Not a large one, but up until then I'd assumed that wasn't how it went.
Remember that, while chickens are dumb-as-rocks prey animals we eat at every stage of their life cycle, they still have some T-Rex DNA in there.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Mozi posted:

realtalk, aside from the awkward fact of the initial coverup, judging by how the rest of the world is responding so far, in a couple of weeks the CCP will legitimately be able to say to their people that they handled the outbreak better than anywhere else. don't know how the economy will work out but i can see this ending up enhancing their legitimacy just because of how badly everyone else is screwing up now
The WHO is already stroking the CCP off with this line.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-hasn-t-had-any-new-coronavirus-cases-why-is-that-1.5479374
The multiple interlocking tiles of hurt feelings and double standards in this bit was just :psyduck:

quote:

The Chinese embassy in Moscow has expressed its displeasure with these measures, writing directly to the Kremlin, saying, "the special monitoring of Chinese nationals on Moscow's public transportation does not exist in any [other] country, even in the United States and in Western states."
Yeah arbitrary detention of minorities and political targets sure sucks, doesn't it? I also find it funny that they complained about the West / USA almost reflexively. It's like every statement out of their diplomatic corps requires it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fojar38 posted:

Don't forget future hostages
This is what I'm worried about with the head of the WHO delegation.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Well yeah that's why the party quarantined sick people there... :confused:

(I'm not making light of the fact people definitely died in that collapse but it fits totalitarian philosophy of "no man no problem".)

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 7, 2020

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm enjoying China's transition to restricting incoming travel just like they were whining about other countries doing, and the coordinated denial that COVID-19 came from China that their diplomatic corps is up to.

How the gently caress...? Is the line "Wuhan has always been part of China except for late last year when it was Japanese"?

quote:

E: Also a shoutout to the Wuhan kids who realized if they did a one star review campaign on the homework app they were required to use while schools are closed it would get auto-removed from the app store. Well played.
Homework Denier

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

poverty goat posted:

They did release millions of refugees from the overcrowded refugee camps into Europe the other day, but a goon expert in this thread assured me that without a doubt a refugee can not possibly have coronavirus so it's nothing to worry about and definitely not connected
There's a good argument that the flow of people from Wuhan to Syrian refugee camps chokes off to zero.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I think I would rather get a bad flu because people had free movement than be welded into my apartment with a much lower but non-zero chance of a fire breaking out.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
:distonk:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Blistex posted:

Wondering how the CCP is balancing the news in-country
No, why?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Magna Kaser posted:

or round earthers,
:eng99:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Let's say Army ISA snuck something into China past the panopticon. Why would you open up a bioweapon in Wuhan and not something far less chaotic in Beijing or Shanghai?

I know the communist party is amplifying this one, but I feel like all conspiracy theories are somehow rooted in the terror of governments being at times fallible and inept instead of gods. If some shadowy cabal or powerful enemy planned the awful disaster that means someone is in control, and it's somehow less scary than trillions of dollars being wiped out by one guy frying pangolin in bat sauce.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Fojar38 posted:

Why would you make such a lovely bioweapon

What's also great that the "US bioweapon" conspiracy theory also implies that the US knew the CCP would sit on it for 3 months and try to cover it up
Who would win:

A top-secret illuminati bio-weapon

OR

millenials

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Strategic Tea posted:

The answer.... somewhere.... n-no! It can't be!

It can't be in the middle!
Games and BYOB?

E: Games subforum Free Hong Kong!

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Mar 14, 2020