Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
very good OP that gonxifacai gong hei fat choi thing is my fav china picture ever

E: I welcome everyone reading our china thread to be happy every day

E2: here is a picture I took on a minibus in hong kong

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mistle posted:

Posting on lucky page 8

Hell yeah!!!

福福福福福福福福
福福福福福福福福
福福福福福福福福
福福福福福福福福
福福福福福福福福
福福福福福福福福
福福福福福福福福
福福福福福福福福

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If you are in China you should leave and if you're planning to go, you shouldn't.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

BrainDance posted:

I'm gonna stay cuz if this is what kills me it makes for an interesting death.

I'll stay until my ramen runs out.

I had a friend who died of a respiratory infection in China it wasn’t cool!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

pakman posted:

Cordyceps actually controlling the ccp.

Whoa

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

monkeytek posted:

LOL, "I managed to find a couple locations that had ethnic communities large enough to support real restaurants" congrats.

I'm sure rural Georgia is just a hotbed of cultural food experimentation, I'm lesser for never having the chance to experience it.

Enjoy friend, I'm sure it was amazing.

Why would you post something like this?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
FOr people who don't know, cordyceps sinensis is the fungal caterpillar. It is a fungus that grows in a caterpillar kills it and bursts out a big spore rod thing like the chest-buster from Aliens.

The spore rod is long and rigid and erect though, like a big dong. So it is worth its weight in gold in China as part of their 'traditional medicine' because since it is long, rigid, and erect... it makes your dick long, rigid, and erect with magic.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

lilbeefer posted:

What is the best actual evidence that can be given to a tankie to show that whilst China isn't a bad country necessarily it's not all unicorn farts and mapo tofu

If someone is a "tankie" they have deep seated personality problems and a radically pathological world view that can’t easily be altered. If it was a question of evidence or common sense they wouldn’t be that way to begin with.

It’s like someone super deep into conspiracy theories or a full on neo-nazi or something.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Blistex posted:

From the other thread regarding some tankies I knew.

That sounds about right

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Thats communism!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
what do you think they'd give you for that, 20 years in a gulag or kill you?

E; is the "artist" some dipshit? i have no idea

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The chinese empire should be broken up and it should return to being a number of self-governed independent states.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

MarcusSA posted:

Wtf y’all even arguing about?

Some idiot is trying to poo poo up the thread and goons just keep biting

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
No one alive today has any meaningful connection to any of this ancient poo poo.

Some people might like to pretend that the chinese are the 'master race' because of the accomplishments of people who lived in china many centuries ago, but there is no such thing as a master race, and modern chinese culture's fixation on it is just another way they are socially behind other countries where people have mostly moved beyond that kind of pathological thinking.

Today, communist china is a brutal dysfunctional shithole, in the grips of a terrible crisis caused by the living actual people running it today.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Atopian posted:

Supposedly there is now a ban on selling wild/hunted animals for consumption.

No idea how long it'll last or how hard it'll be enforced (this being China, the answer to both will be "varies by region"), but it's definitely there now.

And, interestingly, came about due to popular opinion. The Chinese internet has had some... scathing things to say about the whole practice, which were permitted to spread uncensored.

But not, apparently, for ""medicinal""" use as part of dark ages primitive "medicine"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Magna Kaser posted:

this kind of poo poo is common in rural china. people forget the party doesn't have complete control like they think and a lot of very rural parts of china are basically the loving wild west with local governors doing crazy poo poo which is often super duper bad and harmful, esp. now when virus has people spooked.

i remember a friend told me she grew up in some rural rear end part of Anhui, and there was a time when for some reason her small town couldn't get any fresh milk, so the local government gave out a ton of white rabbit candy (a "milk" flavored candy which is actually p good) and told them to melt it down and drink it as a replacement lol.

It was the party making people take poison...

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mozi posted:

little to none. the problem was local officials hiding the problem. china does have actual medicine fwiw

i know it was 'recommended' that people at home treat w/ TCM but that's like drinking herbal tea as a placebo. anyone with serious symptoms tried to get actual treatment

if you want to say the root cause was TCM because otherwise people wouldn't have put bats and pangolins in a wild food market in the middle of the city, then sure i guess

It was actually the root cause yeah

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Nucken Futz posted:

I believe the CCP revisionism this month is that China "discovered" the virus in Wuhan, which in no way means that it originated in Wuhan so stop being rude and disrespectful towards the Glorious PRC and especially Emperor Pooh.

This is why it should always be referred to as Wuhan Coronavirus / Wuhan Pneumonia / Chinese Coronavirus /Chinese Pneumonia

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

we should impose enormous punitive sanctions on those scumbags until they allow foreign inspectors to verify there are no more 'wet markets' to spawn more of this poo poo and make them pay an indemnity to all the countries getting hosed up

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 13, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Jeoh posted:

Wow, the CCP kicked out pretty much all the NYT / WaPo / WSJ journalists. Won't be able to work from Hong Kong either.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/business/media/china-expels-american-journalists.html

I wonder what big thing the chinese communist regime is planning to lie about, where they wouldn't want foreign journalists around to say otherwise.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mozi posted:

my understanding is that the wet markets were permanently, not temporarily, closed? is that correct?

just want to be sure

How could anyone know without independent inspections?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Mozi posted:

you're going to need to make your irony-meter more sensitive if you're going to continue to read that stuff

oh its ironic chinazis? thats different then

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Alan Smithee posted:

I mean why wouldn’t there be Japanese Qanon

It’s about as comprehensible as any anime plot

Im not super surprised they have modern crazy

in the past you had samurai communist killer

poet-novelist-model failed emperor coup and seppuku

and of course crazy nerve gas death cult

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
How many pangolins do you think Xi Jinping and his crooked family have eaten?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
If any of you are still living in China or planning to be, you might want to reconsider and think about what things might look like in a year or two.

When all this is over there are going to be a lot of people all over the world looking for justice or compensation for all the death and economic destruction the PRC has caused, and one of the only ways the communist party or angry nationalist mobs will be able to retaliate is against the persons of foreign nationals living in China.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Magna Kaser posted:

https://twitter.com/davidpaulk/status/1250254477195501568?s=20

In more china weirdness, an English language Chinese news site writes an article mostly about a grassroots push from everyday Chinese people in Guangzhou to combat racism and help displaced foreigners in Guangzhou and it's for some reason censored and not allowed to run.

A grassroots push is civil society, not top down totalitarianism.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Page 88 maybe it is very lucky

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

that owns

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The 'trying to rule a world it refuses to understand' comment from before in the thread was real good.

The times has an article about how "Beijing finds that messages that work at home can backfire abroad."

The CPC's extreme mouthiness these days is so tone deaf. They can pretend at home that they aren't responsible for the virus they spawned and spread around the world, and all the tragedy and catastrophe it continues to cause for everyone, but it doesnt work outside their domestic totalitarianism and it just reminds people of what they did, and upsets them because people don't like being treated like that.

Hopefully the rest of the world can work together to reduce China's GDP significantly year by year until they reform their ways.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Devils Affricate posted:

Soju is the worst liquor. I'd honestly rather drink er guo tou; at least that has some kick to it. Soju is just watered down vodka with a packet of sweet 'n low mixed in. Maybe some good authentic stuff exists but I've never seen it.

The real shame is that just across the pond Japan is busy enjoying sake, the best liquor. Korea obviously knows this but they will never admit it and will continue to drink crap rear end soju out of nationalistic spite.

"Head of the second pot" that’s some real poo poo

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
in my day there was no craft beer in china there was only zhujiang pijiu and snow/mons and all that poo poo. the only beer with any bitterness to it was san miguel from the philippines

i'd kill for a nice half cold bottle of zhujiang pijiu and a plate of boiled peanuts though

hashtag #chinostalgia

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 23, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
People are going to be so grateful to china after all this and now that the chinese media has educated people in how to think correctly about it, they will be more eager than ever before to do business with their good friend the People's Republic of China and to support its economy by purchasing as many of its exports as they can. This is gonna be China's Century!!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
The one Chinese dude I became close friends with, we met one night very late at the 24 hr McDonald’s on the way home from the night club, we were both extremely drunk, and I think he started some kind of argument over whether Chinese dudes had big dicks or not, and I informed him that his "English name" was not in fact English, or a name, and was much closer to a particularly ugly racial slur than to any sort of word in our language.

"Migga" got me a membership at his gym and we spent a whole lot of nights drinking and playing dice.

He was Anhui people in guangdong and introduced me to the Anhui diaspora there who were some legit awesome people. Some of my favorite people. That circle expanded to all kinds of adventures and fun folks. Art gallery people and lowlifes and shady rich dudes and lesbians and gay night club owners and fat army dudes and 22 year old mahjong parlor owner illegitimate daughters of guys who owned big businesses somewhere.

Later on he moved back to Hefei and I figured I’d go spend some time there and quickly learned all the cool people leave Anhui for Guangdong and places for a reason!

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Is that the dude where the chinese liars had a tantrum because the Australian swimmer called out their cheating olympic athlete and then the cheater got some massive ban from the olympics and the australian guy was vindicated?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I knew like 10 words of chinese when i went to china, but I had done a couple years of Japanese in college and had a deep abiding love for the calligraphy, much more so than for anything specifically Japanese, so while I could eventually get by in Chinese I was always more literate than fluent. Tons of poo poo I knew/know the character for but couldn't remember how to say.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Pinyin is actually really good.

There are a handful of consonants and diphthongs you have to just learn but... you learn them by speaking chinese and listening to people speak it. Its very regular and intuitive like someone said above with the diacritics giving you a pretty accurate visual sense of the tones they mark.

"x" is the sound in "xie xie" and "c" is the sound in "baicai" or cao ni ma, "q" is the sound in "qing" etc, "s" is from "yi er san si" and of course, the y is silent, and there you go. "ua" from "yuan" and iu from "jiu." cant think of the rest off the top of my head but bang, now you know pinyin.

What's the alternative? That wade-giles substitution cipher poo poo?

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 30, 2020

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Shadow0 posted:

I would love to find out the logic of how an English-speaker looked at the word "karaoke" and decided none of the vowels are going to be consistent in any fashion and instead it will be from henceforth: "kärioki"

Truly the most fascinating word in English.

The English-speaking peoples love to put that [i] "ee" sound in words especially at the end

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Chinese ventilators that ministers heralded as vital to the NHS’s efforts to tackle Covid-19 were badly built, unsuitable for use in hospitals and potentially dangerous for patients, it has emerged.

All of the devices in a consignment of 250 ventilators that arrived from China on 4 April posed such serious problems that they could not be used and were ditched.

Doctors in NHS hospitals in the West Midlands, among which the ventilators were shared, were so concerned that they wrote to Matt Hancock, the health secretary, warning that they could kill patients.

“We believe that if used, significant patient harm, including death, is likely,” they wrote in a letter, which was obtained by NBC News. “We look forward to the withdrawal and replacement of these ventilators with devices better able to provide intensive care ventilation for our patients.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/apr/30/entire-order-of-250-chinese-ventilators-were-useless-despite

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Alan Smithee posted:

I have never seen Mongolian in my life

I think I subconsciously assumed the horse raiders didn’t have a written language

If you go to the forbidden city its one of the languages on all the blue placard things above doors I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Do they not have refrigerators on your planet?

TBF on the other guy's planet there are no stoves or hot plates or anything.