Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

The North Tower posted:

Surely this will not stop 6% growth?

I predict they'll adjust the number down to 6.2 instead of the usual 6.4-6.6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
Jiangxi not respecting Hubei sovereignty

https://twitter.com/TruthAbtChina/status/1243473247536058368

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
all numbers from china are carefully curated and are more like an allegory for the truth, if they're claiming 0 then it probably just means the areas it's spreading in are small and isolated enough that they expect we'll never find out

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Tarquinn posted:

Where is that racism against Blacks in China coming from? The western world with its history of colonialism and slavery has some people that really have not evolved from that mindset, but why are Chinese more racist against Blacks? What I am saying is, why aren't they equal opportunity racists?

it's part "darker neighbours bad" (india/philippines/vietnam) so more dark = more bad, and part grudging bootlicking respect for successful colonial empires, if they had been kicked around by the zulu empire rather than the british then they'd be more racist against whites

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Magna Kaser posted:

https://twitter.com/davidpaulk/status/1250254477195501568?s=20

In more china weirdness, an English language Chinese news site writes an article mostly about a grassroots push from everyday Chinese people in Guangzhou to combat racism and help displaced foreigners in Guangzhou and it's for some reason censored and not allowed to run.

only The Party (or a single heroic individual) is permitted to do good things

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
in any other place on earth I'd argue knowing the language will be better but (mainland) China is an exception, the more people understand the quicker they burn out

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
cooked rice has a massive surface area that's why bacteria will breed in it quicker than other foods, with exponential growth it can go from a manageable bacteria level to deadly within an hour and there's no way to detect it by taste or smell because it happens so quickly, I'll eat any other old food but don't gently caress with rice

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
yeah soup/stew is fine because it's just a flat circle, not an infinite fractal maze like rice

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah I would never actually use that phrase around Taiwanese people. It's just something that became common usage in this thread.

the good republic of china maybe

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

pentyne posted:

When does HK losing its special trade status take full effect? It's going to be a bloodbath right? Like massive capital flight and brain drain from anyone who can get out.

it's ok they have a HK2.0 soon https://news.cgtn.com/news/2020-06-01/Xi-Jinping-calls-for-building-a-high-quality-free-trade-port-in-Hainan-QY3AZkHQL6/index.html

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
one country, so many systems, the best systems in the world we have Hainan System, Taiwan system, Uighur system something for everyone

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
it's ok Chinese are very resilient, any nuclear missile destroying a city would just end up with like 8 dead and 200 injured

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
php:
<? Takeshima has always been a part of Japan, not 'Korea'

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Dont Touch ME posted:

The Three Gorges might burst this year. Hundreds of millions are in danger, and this will cripple the Chinese economy.

CCP: The dam is structurally sound. Those fractures are actually part of the architectural design. The heavy rainfall this year will have no consequences.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3951673

没办法

I remember this from last year when the warping in the images was obviously caused by google's lovely map tile stitching algorithm

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3740835

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
hmm wonder why there's so few legitimate sources from xinjiang :thunk: it's pretty far away maybe noone is just bothering to go there

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Not So Fast posted:

Complaining about one thread in another thread is always the most boring thing to read. If you believe in the strength of your posting go argue with the CCP stans over there.

this makes no sense, nobody should be expected to debate a tankie no more than they need to debate a nazi, any time when your position is in favor of black-box reeducation camps then the exact details about how you arrive at that position cease to matter

this is not something that can be solved with science, data, rhetoric or pulitzer-price winning journalism, their position just needs to be made socially unacceptable so punch them in the streets and ban them from online spaces

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
wow found some news, maybe this will convince a tankie that camps can be bad?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/us/china-hair-uyghur-cpb-trnd/index.html

quote:

A 13-ton shipment of beauty products such as weaves suspected to have been made out of human hair was seized on Wednesday by US Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers at the Port of New York/Newark.
According to the CPB, the shipment originated in Xinjiang, China

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Mantis42 posted:

Is putonghua a loaded term? I remember calling Mandarin that infront of my Taiwanese professor's family once and them all laughing.

it's part of the CCP effort to eradicate local dialects, brings to mind the newscaster speak in beijing dialect with super exaggerated tones, all the state propaganda is in this style

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

A4R8 posted:

Yeah, lets escalate tensions with China. What could go wrong?

yes let's go, should've done ages ago

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Warbadger posted:

I like how he just starts talking about how the population increased in the province. That's a totally normal thing to talk about when presented with footage of lines of shackled minorities being herded onto trains.

German jewish population increased quite a lot too during ww2, people coming in from all over the place, even as far as from Amsterdam and Warsaw!

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

BrigadierSensible posted:

So the great wall of china was built to protect the great and powerful chinese people from the barbarous and horrible chinese people?

you're a foreigner, you wouldn't understand

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

bonelessdongs posted:

Is there any actual data about the dam available? It's hard to find any real info between outlets friendly to the CCP saying everything is perfectly fine because their dam is invincible and outlets hostile to the CCP saying it's bent like wet spaghetti and will fail any second now

It's China, there's no data, you just have to wait for an outcome.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
the mainland is kind of a cultural wasteland post-90s, it's just the blandest most repetitive poo poo imaginable.
I think Zhang Yimou's Hero is partly to blame, it showed you can have a scarily pro-authoritarian movie and just hide it with some production values (lol hollywood) and get universally praised.
The east bloc had lots of good stuff with Tarkovski, Forman and Parajanov so being authoritarian doesn't have to mean poo poo culture

the tall lesbians comic is ok but I stopped reading it after I realized it's also stifled by obvious self-censorship
https://mangadex.org/title/13939/tamen-de-gushi

Vesi fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jul 27, 2020

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Hong Kong Blues Brothers

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
lolled bigly at the header, I feel so certain of china's food security now

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Haramstufe Rot posted:

The good of the CCP is doing? Yeah, same as Hitler building the Autobahns. If you are genociding people, you don't get to be good no matter what nice things you do. You are evil.

haha yes, "the real Nazi party is not the Reichskanzler in faraway Berlin, it's made of people like Obergruppenführer Fritz in Mannheim who simply want to serve their community"

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
the scale of this is just unfathomable

https://twitter.com/alisonkilling/status/1298933918620672000

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
well I live right next to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negros_Island

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Thank u for your service to the great CIA/State Department Something Awful posting cabal HGB in our quest to reduce the nine-dash line to just eight dashes.

The CSPAM side urges the GBS side to abide by the interforums law and the basic norms governing interforums relations, stop interfering in D&D and CSPAM's internal affairs in any forms to avoid harms to CSPAM-GBS relations.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Pasketti posted:

he went out of business not for unsanitary reasons but because all the other Chinese restaurants in town ripped off his recipe and stole his business so he had to go back to China

this checks out at least

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Strategic Tea posted:

My guess it's just the slow realisation that rabid nationalism and outrage is the most efficient way to control a modern society, and that anyone who doesn't adopt it will be out-competed by someone who does :smith:

I'm hoping this applies only to first-past-post voting systems (US, UK, India) or already authoritarian states (Russia, China).

In EU the racist parties usually get 15-35% of the vote with just a few exceptions like Portugal (0%) and Hungary, and are either kept out of the government or have just limited power.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Coolguye posted:

unless i'm super mistaken poland does not have either of these styles and their right-wing "LAW AND ORDER" party is increasingly powerful over the last most of a decade.

the law and order party is precisely as corrupt as youd expect them to be btw

I'm no expert on the polish situation but the way I had it explained to me was that the law and order party actually substantially improved conditions for their rural base with improved welfare etc, unlike other (american-style) racist parties that are more focused on worsening conditions for their perceived enemies (and incidentally their voters too).

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Grand Fromage posted:

Men, what's stopping you from looking like this?

George Bryan "Beau" Brummell destroyed men's fashion forever

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Barudak posted:

This is cannon

living in a 7 story building in a shantou suburb where only the first two floors are occupied

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Grand Fromage posted:

Korea even had their own massacre of protesting students in the 80s. Fortunately they took a different path after that.

My students in China were actually watching a movie on the Gwangju massacre once and once I realized what it was I was like uh... you're allowed to watch this? And the one I asked just said yeah it's fine since it's about Koreans being bad and not Tiananmen Square.

So which Koreans were bad, the students or the troops? Or both?

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

Blistex posted:

It's going to be like an episode of 1990's era Law and Order. They show up, start asking questions, and inexplicably a New York Wuhan dock worker (who is moving boxes by hand a distance of only 8') tells them he remembers seeing Li Wen giving a Pangolin oral behind a dumpster.

The team shows up at the dumpster to look for any evidence that might have survived and just as they are setting up a man with a Pangolin starts walking down the alley. He sees the team, drops the Pangolin, and runs.

They take Li Wen back to the local WHO lab and confirm his identity. By luck, there were two separate business CCTV cameras that caught the Pangolin suckfest and still had the footage from a year ago. DNA sequencing proves that Wen was patient zero and receipts in his wallet showed that he travelled extensively the week after contracting the flu. The icing on the cake is Wen giving a full confession and leading the team to where he buried the Pangolin body.

The team takes this info to the local government and are promptly taken to a museum that explains that the virus was a result of inter-species breeding experiments at Ft. Bragg in the US. The purpose was to create the perfect politician (photo of Obama) but it also released the "US Flu" which made it to China on some frozen Toaster Strudels being shipped to Wuhan. The team are then driven directly to the airport and deported.

:shittypop:

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
yeah people instead of racism can't we just agree to call it "othering based on perceived external differences in relation to the observer's in-group" to make it more scientifically complete

Vesi fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

vietnamese invasion of cambodia seems good in retrospect even though it was condemned by the international community