Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

(Also you have clearly never seen the horrid boomer ex-pat communities full of your racist granny living on the Costa Del Sol in nightmarish spots with nothing but other old white racist Brits who can't even manage to say "Por Favor")

Can't wait to see these people beaten and deported, their english pubs burnt to the ground.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

therattle posted:

I think they do want a deal because they still look after business interests to a degree, but that may well conflict with your b, which is also a powerful factor.

I think when it comes to China and the US we are going to be absolutely shafted.

They don't give a gently caress op, all the brexit decisions are made for short term domestic political concerns and personal greed. The people who funded Boris' leadership campaign actually want No Deal

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

endlessmonotony posted:

The question is how the US feels about Scottish independence.

Trump is in power for at least the next four years, and he hates and holds a grudge against the SNP for giving the go-ahead to build wind farms near his Scottish golf course, and loves Farage and pals who think Scotland has too much independence already. So we are hosed if we need US support.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah Trump spent a lot less, but got loads of free coverage on the news channels because he was good for ratings

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Hillary 2020 posted:

The nuclear submarine base is at Faslane. They’d have to move to Portsmouth or Devonport while they built a new nuke base in the north somewhere

I heard there is nowhere suitable in England so they would have to beg the Americans to let them dock in Virginia.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Communist Thoughts posted:

it cant really be overstated how intentionally murderous, perverse and cruel the british empire was.

we never learn about it and now we're brexiting as a direct result of never facing up to our digusting racism, its very poetic imo

it’s true. people think it’s political correctness gone mad to even teach kids about the crimes of empire.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the main thing that sticks in my mind from the British Museum is they shipped an entire ancient temple there, it's shameless lmao

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lol at this idiot

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1230283289073737730?s=21

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

It wasn't crazy to think that Corbyn had a shot at winning, right before the election the polls were within the margin of error, and last time round they highly overestimated Tory support. And the polls were totally wrong again, except this time they had overcorrected from 2017 and overestimated Labour support.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

What's a good book on the English capitalist genocide in India?

I've not read it but heard good things about Late Victorian Holocausts.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Grape posted:

As I recall British teachers are paid garbage on top of all this too right?

ABout £22k for a newly qualified teacher. My sisters partner is doing teacher training and all the teachers on his placement warned him off lol

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dance Officer posted:

Kinda shocked that the UK isn't worse than that.

Yeah I thought we were far worse than anywhere in the EU for having most of the wealth concentrated in one horrible giant depressing city.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

So newly qualified German teachers make more than some head teachers in the UK lmao

My German friend said I should do teacher training and then move to Germany and get a job in an English language school, poo poo I really should do that. Will Germany still let people from this cursed island move over in 2021?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

oliwan posted:

those are salaries for fully qualified teachers at public secondary and primary schools. Fully qualified in this context also means German at C2 level.

Teachers at (most) private schools make (much) less.

Teachers at "language" schools (so not public and not an actual secondary or primary school) make next to nothing.

When you say next to nothing, do you mean by German standards or UK ones haha. I'm not sure if we mean the same thing talking about English language shoots, my friend said there are international schools where all the teaching is in English.

Also please let me live in your country

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

TBF, he has already raised a small percentage of his children under his family name. He's not completely unused to the experience.

I would be shocked if he did any of the raising

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

The story of Greyfriars Bobby faithfully waiting by his master's grave was made up by local merchants to attract tourists. The dog stayed in the graveyard because they were feeding it, and the statue isn't even of the original dog (they replaced it after it died).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Samovar posted:

Why would one be keen to get Tim Tams, the pound shop version of Penguins?

can i have a full report on tim tams, what can we expect?

I'm assuming they are better at least than american "chocolate" like hersheys?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

An insane mind posted:

This always baffled me, I mean yeah the U.S. is huge and probably a lucrative trading partner...but wouldn't having a trading block that you are geographically a lot closer to be far more preferable?

Those people speak foreign

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Brexit was to stop us having a land border with Iraq and Syria

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Remember when the Lib dems had a good man as their leader and they stabbed him in the back and deposed him, and when he lost his seat at the next election and died from drink they blamed the SNP

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

one part of the UK I don’t understand is Scotland. Like I understand there are a multitude of pros/cons for cessation and it’s not super black & white, but how come every time a Scottish politician stands up and asks England for something everyone laughs at the Scot and tells them to get hosed?

what does Scotland get out of this? is it just an entire country of fetish subs who love having their nuts stomped on?

People were convinced it would be too disruptive and risky to leave, we would risk temporarily losing our EU membership, we can't survive on our own, and the major UK parties got together and promised a lot of concessions and further powers for Scotland.

Then in his first speech after the referendum David Cameron talked about how England had been neglected in all this talk of Scotland and we need English votes for English laws

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I know a guy from Thurso and those people pretty much never stopped being norwegians

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

multijoe posted:

RIP Richard Leonard, you never scored

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Dreylad posted:

didn't scotland basically get sold to the english because most of the rich scots decided to invest in a loving stupid colony scheme near panama, the whole thing failed horribly and they needed english money to bail them out?

Yeah the Scottish parliament voted for union with England largely because rich Scots were all broke now from the failure of the Darien scheme and needed a bailout. Also there were direct bribes of piles of money for the MPs and their rich friends, and the promise of getting in on England's imperialism action.

Only wealthy landowning men had the vote then, so union with England was not a popular democratic decision (there were riots).

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Wasn't there nearly lynch mobs in the streets of Edinburgh? We really shat a chance for a proper revolution a century before the French.

Fun article here- https://www.scotsman.com/heritage-and-retro/heritage/remembering-day-treaty-union-was-signed-following-months-rioting-streets-1397105

People who were not wealthy aristocrats were very unhappy.

quote:

Remembering the day the Treaty of Union was signed - following months of rioting in the streets

The agreement of the Treaty of Union in the Scottish Parliament on this day in 1707 followed months of fierce debate, unrest and even rioting on the streets. From Glasgow to Dumfries to Lanark, people took arms with articles of the treaty burnt in the street. In Edinburgh a ‘villanous and outragious mobb’ threatened and insulted judges and Members of the Scottish Parliament, according to an account held by National Library of Scotland.

Ministers of the Kirk spread more discontent as they began campaigning against union, which gathered momentum in the spring of 1706, just as the negotiations began in London. In October 1706, the Scottish Parliament met to consider and ratify the Articles of Union. Publication of the Articles triggered widespread unrest.

Violent demonstrations took place outside Parliament House, and inside there were fears that the building would be invaded by protesters. Troops were brought into the city with orders to shoot if necessary, and several regiments were placed at l on the Scottish border and in Ireland in the event of trouble. Rewards were offered for the capture of rioters with the more wealthy resident of our burghs urged to take responsibility for the actions of their staff and servants. By December 1706, parliament was ordering the burning of pamphlets that challenged the proposed union with the papers to be destroyed by the hangman at Edinburgh’s Mercat Cross. Further proclamations were made against so-called seditious meeting.

Meanwhile, parliamentarians were engaged in their own manoeuvres as work intensified to push the treaty through. Lord Queensberry was appointed the Queen’s High Commissioner for the parliamentary session that would decide upon the treaty and was tasked with insuring a successful outcome. Honours, appointments, pensions and even arrears of pay and other expenses were distributed to secure support from Scottish peers and MPs.

Petitions were drawn up all over Scotland and submitted to the Scottish Parliament as the anti union campaign gathered momentum. A total of 96 petitions were presented against the union, most in November and December 1706. The Duke of Argyll, one of the leaders of the Scottish Court party, said that petitions were little more than "paper kites".
Economic matters were dealt with by the majority of articles with new flags and coinage also addressed. It was agreed customs and excise charges would be set equally across the kingdom with Scots law and the country’s distinct education system to remain.

Critically, the Hanoverian line of succession to the Crown was confirmed - and the exclusion of Papists from the throne agreed. Under the Treaty of Union, Scotland was paid £398,000 - a sum known as ‘the Equivalent’. This would partially offset losses incurred by the failed Darien Scheme to set up a colony in the Isthmus of Panama. It would also compensate Scotland for sharing the responsibility for England’s national debt of £18 million.

On January 16, the Act ratifying the treaty was finally passed by 110 votes to 69 with the nobility forming the largest pro-Union group.

The Scottish Parliament then turned to the question of Scotland’s future parliamentary representation. Article 22 of the Treaty set out that Scotland was to be represented by 16 peers and 45 commoners. At the time, more than 300 representatives made up the Scottish Parliament, with just under half of its members hereditary peers. Deep resentment among the public was stirred by this reduced representation at Westminster.

The Scottish Parliament continued to sit until 25 March 1707. The Queen’s Commissioner in Scotland, the Duke of Queensberry, ended its proceedings. He urged the members to ‘… promote an universal desire in this kingdom to become one in hearts and affections, as we are inseparably joyn’d in interest with our neighbour nation’. The Scottish Parliament did not meet again until May 12, 1999.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

My cat usually begs for cheese when I have pasta and am adding grated cheese to it. Today thanks to Brexit I only had cheddar instead of my usual foreign muck and she was completely uninterested.

That's my brexit story for today.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

pdog posted:

i always thought this doesn’t really appeal to them either, don’t the kind of middle class people who end up as sir keith fans find the flag waving type of british nationalism incredibly gauche?

yeah flag loving just appeals to people who would never vote labour anyway, and turns off the people who actually might vote labour, ie left wingers and liberals

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

now that keir has got rid of the left they can get rid of him and install a charismatic, electable candidate from the right of the PLP. problem is this person does not exist.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

lmao

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kicks forts posted:

how many people would have to join LibDems to bruteforce their leadership elections.

Probably not many, but their leader needs to be one of the 11 lib dem MPs and they are all terrible.

Remember when they had a leader who attacked Blair's Labour from the left and they had 60 MPs? lol

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Are they going to start issuing letters of marque?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

multijoe posted:

No that Carrie Symonds

she got promoted to fiancee, last i heard his girlfriend is some russian violinist

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I remember white dogshit being everywhere, as a little kid having to really watch my step in the park, and on the street, and everywhere in public really.

Then those PC killjoys tightened up pet food standards and brought in big fines for not cleaning up your dog's turds. It's like Stalinist Russia.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

kecske posted:

they're similar in texture to circus peanuts but in strawberry and banana flavour

Wait circus peanuts are sweets? I assumed they were just a yank brand of peanuts.

Continuity NIP posted:

Tablet is really good.

:yeah:

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Canuckistan posted:

Our local supermarket has a small British section, and I've been working my way through their soda selection. Burdock and Dandelion soda tastes OK, like a funky ginger/root beer hybrid. Bitter Shandy is just plain odd. Non-alcoholic beer and lemonade is such a weird combination. Are these popular in Britain?

Those malt vinegar pickled onions are the bomb though.

nobody actually drinks dandelion and burdock or non-alchoholic shandy, no.

Dandelion and burdock is like a stereotypical traditional old drink that was probably last actually popular and widely drunk a century ago, and (alcoholic) shandy was what people used to drink when they were driving, in the days when people didn't take drink driving very seriously.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

And for a while he got to be the guy to press the button to call in an airstrike. What a hero

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Yeah the pre-emptive backlash has flipped me from completely uninterested to maybe going to watch. must be spilling some real dirt on the royals.

maybe they will spill the beans about William's affair that everyone already knows about? prince phillip was "the man in the mask", the queen is a reptilian, prince andrew is a paedo, one of those things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Jel Shaker posted:

a whole swathe of rich people in the u.k. still trace their lineage back to the normans, even those not in landed gentry like you’d think, like judges and bankers etc

This is very common for anyone in the UK, just not everyone researches their family tree. go back far enough and everyone is going to be related to everyone. my granny did the same, traced her family tree back to someone the red who came over in 1066, but her much more recent ancestors were australian convicts haha

like how everyone of european ancestry is descended from charlemagne