Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Brum just went bankrupt. Who wants to buy it with me for a pound and re-enact Peaky Blinders for a laugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

gonadic io posted:

Turn the council buildings into some pretty nice and affordable flats

Data centres are more profitable. Let’s do that instead.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

The prison makes Preston materially better than most of the country

I went to uni in Lancaster, just up t’road from Preston, and a friend said they knew someone who lived in the castle there.

HMP Lancaster.

And I recall the Ip Man 4 filming (grew up locally, not a nonce) and believe it was meant to stand in for JFK airport or something. Like how Manchester and Liverpool are used for NYC or Gotham in films.

The Wallace & Gromit bench is pretty great.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cx73FqjIccg/

Amazing how listening to Rishi right now sounds like Blair Lite. Also, lol at HS2.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Really weird we can’t solve all these crises that have something to do with poverty, whatever that is.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I have a friend in the NHS who gets dedicated private mental health counselling to keep her from imploding while a co-worker has to deal with the NHS' glacial mental health service itself.

Probably quicker and easier to get roped into working in the NHS and declare your brain is hosed than to wait for them to get around to seeing you.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I didn't go because I would rather be scalped than go to London but sent thoughts and prayers

You’re in luck. You get to be scalped in London too. In both ways probably.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

God, we occupy the funniest timeline.

When does Truss come back? Gotta be on the cards.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

He better watch it. We could send one of our two aircraft-less carriers to retake the islands. The one that works, obviously.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

If we're going to invade a country can we at least tick another one off this list

Has Sweden been getting uppity lately?

Chad so we can have them and the Virgin Islands.

That or Sealand. That counts, right?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Now do Tonibler.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

keep punching joe posted:

I remember many gross stories from the start of the Ukraine war of middle aged men looking to house single Ukrainian women.

Career men who need help with the housework. They were even decent enough to supply them with these fetching French maid uniforms.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Visiting family and my dad watched QT last night and told me the best way to solve illegal immigration is to infiltrate the gangs and buy up all the boats for Channel crossings. This will be cheaper and more effective than the hotel hosting, I am told.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Jose posted:

Was there not a cushion to cover his face with for making you watch question time

Still trying to train their Colliedor to rip throats out. Slowly getting there. Not watched QT in couple years. Good to see the formula is still excellent at angering the blood.

Betjeman posted:

Buy the actual boats, then the navy have something to float around in

I did make an off hand comment about the RN being puddle pirates now, and that prompted ‘50s era Home Guard patrol talk, but in the Channel.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

lol, WTF.

BE HIS BACON SAMMICH MOMENT, MEDIA.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Was there ever a phase where Mason was less insufferable? I swear there was or it was just the trappings of lib brain still holding me back from seeing.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Only take away human rights for the bad people, innit.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

There should be a skill tree where you can choose what human rights you want to spent your citizenship points on.

Maxing out my deportation immunity points and forgetting to dump any in the legionella resistance stat.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

domhal posted:

Adam Curtis voice "They though the European far right could be worked with without destroying the surrounding democracy. But then something happened."

https://i.imgur.com/FasS1eX.mp4

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Bored of Blue Team? Vote Red Team.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Microplastics posted:

To be honest i barely understand that community note.

it says "Parliament's Laws" and then says "Parliament's decisions are not Laws". So Parliament is making laws and decisions, and the decisions aren't laws, so the courts can block those? Is that right? What's the decision parliament made in this particular case?

Look, you’re asking above your station here. Just give the kindly G-man your vote and go about your business, citizen plebe.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

subject , thank you very much

I genuinely sat for several seconds contemplating to put that, but felt it wasn’t as harsh as plebe, and you all know the Dishy Rishi and co. don’t view anyone beneath them as implied royal subjects which sounds at least fancy.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

i say swears online posted:

do y'all pass a bunch of toothless 'resolutions' like the US legislative chambers do

We get told what is good for us by our LIEGE, actually.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tesseraction posted:

it's because we're governed by clowns, op

This is being saved in my mental piggy bank for bringing up during Christmas dinner with me dad, a scouser and (formerly) proud Tory voter.

The only way to fix things is to get rid of the soft woke Tories and something something.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://twitter.com/PicturesFoIder/status/1749216871000264998

lol, what.

And I've seen the tea plantations in Yorkshire. I stole them, though. Sorry, lads. All for me now, innit.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Charles has the chance to do something very funny in his sacrifice.

Guessing we can’t have No. 10 keep the record for turnover any longer.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

euphronius posted:

who is next ? William ?

Yup.

Man, still not gotten any Sossig finger coins. They’ll be collector items at this rate.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

euphronius posted:

does Kate get to be called “Queen”

The correct title is “Yaaas Kween”.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

What type and what stage make a difference. I assumed prostate, but the stories say they detected cancer during the prostate episode, not that they found prostate cancer.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I'm told my peach is exquisite. Perhaps even royally admired.

What may I get as compensation for such a donation?

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Communist Bear posted:

This has plagued Labour for years now and that they still believe this is quite bemusing. It went a long way to what lost them Scotland in the end. "What are you going to do? Vote for anyone else? :smug:" Then along came the SNP.

They'll probably get away with it this time, mostly thanks to the ennui of the Tories than anything else.

I didn’t vote Labour, I just neglected to vote Tory, as it were. I think that’s how Biden got in, no? When most Tory voters are sick to the back teeth of the current batch, Reform and the Lib Dems may get that boost as much as Labour.

I guess the SNP imploding too will be interesting as well.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Flipswitch posted:

Man it's gotta be said but Sunak is a spiteful little oval office. Just an absolutely shameless empty politicbot of a human being.

His own party basically hate his guts for the most part. He only got in because Agent Truss was too bad enough of a dude for them.

Now we get Keith instead, the genius who times his green defunding plan the same day the EU states we hosed because of climate change.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Shogi posted:

The TotalBiscuit monarchy experience

*spits out herbal tea*

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

George Galloway gave a pitch that even if you hate him, a vote for Galloway is a vote for Palestine. Hard to argue with that.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

George Galloway gave a pitch that even if you hate him, a vote for Galloway is a vote for Palestine. Hard to argue with that.

He needs to wear the catsuit in Parliament.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tarnop posted:

Yeah the problems are more subtle. For example, when she states that biased AIs can only occur because the people building them made a mistake. Or promoting the idea that it's possible for a person to instruct an AI to act "objectively"

This is why I like Person Of Interest actually showing how hard it was to get the protagonist AI to be a force for good versus the later co-opted fascist one. Having superintelligence does not bestow you with innate humanity and a directive to only do what your creator intended. It takes a lot of effort to not have a super fast, smart psychopath or just a digital, powerful idiot be the outcome.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Tarnop posted:

Very enjoyable show that I almost gave up on when it looked like it would just be a bog-standard procedural

Chris Nolan’s brother, who was the creator and show runner, said they had to go that route to fool the network into giving them the leeway to form the plot lines required. Apparently the suits just wanted CSI or NCIS and wouldn’t sign off on anything complex. I did same as you, only bingeing it all when Ars Technica covered the recently finished final season and praised the evolution of the show and not being just a dumb police procedural.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

MikeCrotch posted:

Remembering Priti Patel saying she would have deported her parents

My dad hates that woman, yet was all onboard for Prime Minister Braverman had that nightmare transpired.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Jel Shaker posted:

could easily be irish citizens priced out renting / owning in town

Only foreign scum and/or criminal entities try to live on the street, not upstanding native residents.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Bear FTW. The goodest boy of Team Machine.

The season three finale with the showtrial by Vigilance is kinda popping into my head now in relation to dealing with troublesome factions in the same way Azov is being sent to Avdeevka currently, to crosspost from the Ukraine thread. The Correction is a pretty terrifying part of Greer's use of Samaritan. Genius, but terrifying in much the same surgical power play way..

The Snowden story about 6 months before it was an actual thing by having an NSA guy in one episode get cold feet over the Northern Lights programme was something else. Maybe not Kojima-san level prescience, but a lot of the stuff in PoI is either happening now with the tech or in nascency. Finch's comment about social media being a CIA op way better than any covert COINTEL project occupies my mind sometimes.

*turns around and stares sullenly at Met Police facial recognition camera*

Skaffen-Amtiskaw has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Feb 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

I was right about the dog being a good boy, though.