Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Nintendo character would you like to see in the next Soul Calibur game?
This poll is closed.
Bowsette 99 8.48%
Other 53 4.54%
jenna got milked 1015 86.98%
Total: 1167 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I generally prefer their soundtracks to the games themselves. They're fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm glad I'm not a moderately well known gamesman so my shitposts don't get blasted for weeks on end.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah why would you want people to talk about your big annual event?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

sharrrk posted:

https://twitter.com/platinumgames/status/1224271645721759747

this just got posted. people were talking about a wonderful 101 switch port kickstarter being announced today but this seems like whatever it is would be more than that

Four new project announcements? Or the fourth iteration of something?

Is Platinum going to break new ground and announce Bayo 4 before showing gameplay for Bayo 3?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cowcaster posted:

oh yeah wasn't platinum working on something called something something babylon

Yeah. My actual guess, four project announcements at once:

Babylon thing
New Yako Taro project
W101 remastered
Bayonetta 3 (re-announced)

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I don't see any reason why he wouldn't continue to collaborate with Platinum since they developed his only successful game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Waltzing Along posted:

Would someone tell me about the Hitman games? Is there a story to follow or can you just jump in anywhere? Is the new one worth $15? I saw a vid that showed off a single level and it look interesting but I don't know if that would be enough for a full game.

Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

They're real good if you like loving about in really dense and well structured levels.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

You can get all the levels from the 2016 one as DLC and it goes on sale pretty often.

Technically you should play 2016 first but it doesn't really matter. Just get it as DLC if you really like Hitman 2 and want more levels.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

Hmm, the way the first new Hitman game at least was packaged was pretty confusing, with like a thousand different editions that each offered different bits and pieces of it. Frankly it wasn’t very consumer-friendly at all.

This is true but the fact that you could just buy one level or play the free one and stop there if you didn't like it was pretty great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

In hindsight sure, but no gamer could possibly go “Let’s see, I’d like some Marrakech, Hokkaido and Patient Zero please” sight unseen

Yeah but you could definitely go "Paris was really fun. I'll pay a fiver for Sapienza. OK I think I've had my fill now. Maybe I'll get the rest in the sales next year."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jay Rust posted:

To me, the Hitman style of selling confusingly-titled DLC combos reeks of "We offer you the CHOICE of CHOOSING the best Hitman package for you and your family" and it's just not worth it

That's not what the first game was though. It was literally just an episodic game that didn't force you to pay upfront.

IIRC there was some bullshit around the usual special editions but the core game had a really solid model.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Grapplejack posted:

Platinum got a bunch of money from tencent, what happened to that?

Kamiya needs his wine.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

So W101 is out in April, so presumably it's pretty much done now and just needs cash for marketing and publishing right?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Where's the second reveal Platinum gently caress.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

Can they really not understand that the whole reason Rockstar puts out such massively successful selling games is because they take years to make, along with very careful marketing to generate hype? You cant do any of those things if you just rush out games quickly, and even with the long development times, their employees are still basically exploited and abused for profit. People will turn on them, we've seen this happening with Blizzard because they are rushing games out the door now.

This was a while back but I don't think it's strictly true. Before GTAV launched RS was pumping out great games every two years or so. Since GTAV they've done... GTAO content. And RDR2 which I think most people agree would've been far better if they spent less time on it. That game is so bogged down in unnecessary poo poo.

The times they are a-changing, and games take longer to make than they did on the PS2, but I don't think RS games would suddenly stop having fun stories and gameplay if they stripped them back a little.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What was supposed to be the "woke" part of Lawbreakers?

The game didn't sell because it wasn't marketed, looked generic as hell and was generally perceived as "less colourful Overwatch".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

:allears:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I liked ToMI because Telltale's puzzle based games were an almost guaranteed good time.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

But is it better than PoE? yes

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

When's PoE2 coming out anyway? The trailer for that looked good fun.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

bumping the single player up to 17 acts.

Oh no.

We'll be able to effectively ignore all of the PoE1 content right? I never want to look at that poo poo again.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Remember when PoE had massive tits on its health and mana orbs?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Vanquish would probably have been a far better game this gen, and better received.

Anything carrying the stink of a cover shooter had to prove itself against every other game in that group, and at a glance Vanquish didn't stand out at all.

In 2020 with a bigger budget and some polish it would've been lauded as a nostalgic triumph.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

It's probably this because Jason is thin skinned as gently caress and just blocks everyone he disagrees with.

Blocking wrong headed randoms is half the fun of Twitter.

(Seriously though I don't blame anyone who's even slightly in the public eye for being block-happy. I can only imagine the constant steam of poo poo people have to wade through).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cowcaster posted:

so when's final fantasy 16

Remember when we got three complete, excellent Final Fantasy games per generation?

How pathetic is it that other than MMOs, the only mainline games we've had in the last 13 years are XIII and a repurposed spinoff of XIII.

stev fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Feb 7, 2020

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Oh gently caress it's Enix's fault.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I mean the main reason why production has slowed is that Square has always tried to make the FF games cutting edge in terms of production values and presentation and that has gotten to the point where now that takes literal billions of dollars and half a decade per game, expecting things to keep the same pace as previous generations is ludicrous

FFXV looked and ran like poo poo on the hardware it was first released on (not sure how it was on PC).

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I said come in! posted:

He has made a lot of comments over the years about how much he hates women in gaming.

It's ok though because he makes absolutely sure everyone knows about his hot gamer wife.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That said his recent claims that he had become too "woke" and it hurt LawBreakers make no sense

He's currently getting very upset at journalists who write articles about it. It's sad.

It's nonsense though. There's nothing remotely "woke" in that game and no one gave a poo poo about it either way.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Barudak posted:

Yeah, pretty much. One neat bossfight is the only praise I have for City and Knight is just bad

Eh the stories are still fun, and (at least at the time) the environments were pretty entertaining to explore and glide through.

I'd have definitely preferred a straight up sequel to Arkham Asylum but I still enjoyed what we got.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What kind of voice actor do you think they're gonna get for Cid

Now I'm imagining him sounding like Bernie Sanders and will be inevitably disappointed with whatever the reality is

Probably the same as Advent Children.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Games people are coming back with positive reactions... is history being made
https://twitter.com/lucyjamesgames/status/1226260769957793792

Have people already forgotten Detective Pikachu?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Lego games were fun (if infuriatingly basic and repetitive) until they tried to overreach and started making them 'open world'. They looked really ugly and played terribly when they didn't just have small environments made out of mostly Lego. They were basically just big empty maps that you walked through to get to the next level.

I think the LOTR one was the first. How did anyone think this was a good look for a Lego game? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2siJCmLmPw

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nah Batman has combos at least, and a lot of the gadgets mix the combat up. A lot of the fun is in racking up huge combos.

It's no where near as in depth as a good Platinum game but it's a lot less simple than people suggest.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bushisms.txt posted:

Nah, rising is one of the shallowest combat system they've produced. Astral chain is the new Queen of character action.

Rising lacks depth but it's probably their most satisfying and fun game. The moment to moment action is pretty much unmatched (or at least was at the time).

Barudak posted:

Its the godawful bear riding sections that really ruin Korra and I got I think every achievement in that game.

Lol this reminds me of that terrible Avatar game that a bunch of people bought because you could get all the achievements in 30 seconds.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Andrast posted:

It's way more of a character action game than a soulslike

It has the weight and up-closeness of a Souls but the mechanics of a character action game.

It's mostly a Metroidvania though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Legend of Grimrock?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

RBA Starblade posted:

Does anyone know why PC Game Pass keeps reinstalling games I've deleted?

Because it's a piece of poo poo that downloads anything and everything in the background without your permission. But also shits the bed if you try to download anything bigger than 5GB.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kid Icarus is yet another Nintendo game that I probably would've really enjoyed if it were released on a not terrible system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I remember the PC version being completely unplayable on my PC at the time. That's it.