Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

bolind posted:

Just turned 40! Had an awesome surprise party and an even more awesomer CHILD FREE getaway with the wifey.

Regrettably, the severance package at work is not so good, was hoping to just be sent home with full pay, but the mothership doesn't do it that way so neither do we. Guess I have three months' of paid job hunting then.

Hey me too last week! Happy Birthday 40 buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Me too, currently driving $200 shitbox thats reliable so I must be really nice and reliable. Thanks for making my day Yahoo article

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

So speaking of assholes check out this beauty of a response I got from the eBay seller I got my lovely steering rack from

All he had to say was sorry dude or just nothing

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Darchangel posted:

To be fair, all you did (from his point of view) is whine and say you're not sending in a core, to which he said "OK".
You need to suggest a course of action if you want one.
I mean, *I* would have apologized and tried to make it right, but I'm not a stereotypical eBay/Craigslist/FB Marketplace troglodyte. Actually, I guess I wouldn't have sold a leaky steering rack in the first place, had I known it was such.

Yea true, I wasnt really looking for anything besides saying sorry but I guess thats too much, all those extra letters. If they really were a stand up company they would have given a refund. I would have the second I got an email like that. There were 9 other feedbacks like mine with the same problem but I couldnt leave feedback since it was way too late by the time I found out how bad the part was.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Darchangel posted:

Were these sold as new or rebuilt? That would definitely be a problem.
And, as far as I know, you can leave feedback for some time after the sale.I don't leave feedback until I've verified the item, and sometimes that's a month or better. And sometimes I flat out forget to go back and leave feedback, so do it later when leaving it for someone else, too.

Rebuilt and I had doubts since it looked pretty lovely and like it was just painted over rust and dirt and poo poo though I gave them the benefit of the doubt since none of that had anything to do with the seals. I should have rejected it instantly since it was definitely below my standards of the work that I do which is why I also repainted it. No huge deal since it was 150 bucks but losing the time and 90 bucks on the alignment pisses me off for not sending it back when I saw the lovely paint. I took video of the paint before I fixed it but I deleted it when I ran low on space and regret that now.

I tried everywhere to leave feedback but it must time out after some length of time since I couldnt and I really wanted to.

Next time Im in Florida Ill bring it with me and toss it in his lawn so he hits it with his mower and ruins his day. I got time, Im a very patient man.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I just did a wheel bearing in an Altima, I feel dirty and used but I really needed the money and her kid had to get to the track meet in the morning. Not a unit so I did some pressin and pushin and lotsa swearing. gently caress non unit bearings

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

shy boy from chess club posted:

I just did a wheel bearing in an Altima, I feel dirty and used but I really needed the money and her kid had to get to the track meet in the morning. Not a unit so I did some pressin and pushin and lotsa swearing. gently caress non unit bearings

Ok I gotta bitch again, sorry for being so close to my previous bitch. I planned on taking this car in yesterday and working on it today. I finished up some work on my 03 OB and pulled the Altima in to do a preliminary look at what the job was going to be like. This was about 5pm and right around the same time I get a text from the owner asking if it would be ready for 9am to go to the track meet. I said no probably Sat afternoon. There was a miscommunication about her wanting it done on Friday, I was annoyed but I felt bad and did the right thing and busted my rear end to get it done last night. It also needed the valve cover gasket done but at least she could go to the meet and I could do the cover when she got back. Well I texted her this morning to have her just let me know when she would be back so I could do the cover. She says "oh its still there my kid got a ride so I wont need it until later so you can do the cover now". I was loving PISSED, I said Im really not happy that I busted my rear end last night to get this done when I could have done it this morning like I had planned. I worked fast, left a mess in the shop and felt like I ran a marathon last night when I tried to get out of bed this morning. I wish she had at least took the car so it would have felt like busting my rear end was appreciated. You just dont do that, what the gently caress.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

cursedshitbox posted:

That's bullshit. Definitely worth reminding them of this next time they come to you with an emergency.

I talked to her when she came to pick it up, I wasnt mean or anything just said that it was pretty inconsiderate. She felt bad and said shed give me 40 bucks next week for the trouble but shes got 5 kids and one car so no way Im taking that. First time customer so now I know to ask when she wants it back and I know for sure she will let me know. My usual is to get the car and see what it needs/get the parts that day and work on it the next and she just didnt know that

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

A Small Car posted:

Even better though, the truck got 14.5 mpg yesterday! I don't know what god I pleased to be blessed with such insanity, but I hope it continues.

My truck has gone from exactly 10 (pulling trailer all day)/11 empty to 12.7 last tank and Ive done nothing but one oil change in between. Im scared and happy at the same time

e:

Tremek posted:

Also finally brought my rottie home (again) from my dad's after his latest bout with $5k animal hospital visits. He's in good spirits and in seemingly good health again. All in all a good weekend.

Omg yay! So was it an infection? Do they know for sure what happened?

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 9, 2020

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

You Am I posted:

gently caress the Ford engineer who thought it was a good idea to

The work I just did on a Ranger rekindled my hate for Ford bullshit. Check out where the connection for the driver side front 02 sensor is. I'll tell you, smashed between the back of the engine and firewall pointing down, a maintenance item and a fucker to get to. If it was turned 180 degrees pointing up it would be easy as poo poo to unclip the fuckin thing

I've used up all my whining capital for a while. I'm gonna post fun stuff in my thread now for penance

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

STR posted:

Go look at the O2 on your Outback.

I'll wait.

The ones that easy to get to over the passenger side axle or the one thats easy to get to under the heat shield in the middle? Theyre both new as well as the exhaust so Ive unhooked them a few times. Maybe it sucks on the 03 but theyre both good and the exhaust is new so I dont know.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

STR posted:

It's over the passenger side axle, but pointing at a 45 degree angle. It's kind of a pain on the Outback wagon with the 2.5, at least on jackstands - I could only turn it maybe 1/16 of a turn at a time with a crowsfoot wrench. The wire end backs up into the front subframe. Just not much room to get my ape hands in there.

I didn't drop the exhaust though, and I didn't use a lift or even have it that high up - it would have been a lot easier with either of those. My exhaust is 100% original, I know everything related to dropping it is seized.

New one installed but not yet plugged in:

e: damnit. one of my headlamps came with a cracked dust cover (on Subarus, this is watertight). The seller sent me another, but I went ahead and ran it for a couple of weeks with the crack. Figured what are the chances of water getting into the headlight through a crack. Put the new dust cover on yesterday, today the passenger headlight is fogged up. :sigh: I guess I'll park it in the garage and leave the cap off, maybe leave the lights on for a bit to heat it up and hopefully evaporate the moisture.

Oh yea gently caress doing it from the bottom, take the airbox off and do it from the top. I was meaning the connectors on the Ford/OB, not the sensor itself. The first time I took the front one out of the exhaust on the 97 it was a nightmare and I had to heat it for 42 minutes and use a box wrench instead of the 02 socket that can spread and strip it

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

STR posted:

Yo...you can do it from the top? :shepicide:

That was a serious pain in the dick, though I still got it done in a little under 2 hours. A nearby shop told me book labor was 2 hours (@ $90/hr), so I think I did okay. I've had them do alignments for me before, but nothing else.

Yea and its waaayyy easier. Once you learn a few tricks these cars are cake. Even the spark plugs everyone says are a pain, take off the intake on that side and the washer bottle (and maybe battery) on the other and theyre no big deal. With the DOHC ones same thing but the trick is to get a socket and extension that are the exact length of the hole and you can get a ratchet between the cam cover and frame easy. The first time I took off the top mount intercooler on a turbo one it took me like an hour and tons of swearing, after that time it takes like 10 minutes.

It probably sounds stupid saying these are tricks and yea I work on Subies a lot but I looked at it from every angle, literally, and there was no way to get that 02 sensor unplugged on the Ranger without

1. snapping the christmas tree stub holding it to the bracket
2. removing the bracket that had bolts that were a fucker to get to between the intake and firewall
3. soak the entire truck in gasoline and send it to car heaven and buy another Ranger with good 02 sensors since Rangers are cool when you dont have to work on it

To take it apart I got a long flathead screwdriver and jammed it into the clip up from the bottom then slung a bungee cord around the wires to yank it out and hope I didnt ruin the wiring so I'd have to remove and replace the sensor. To get it back together used the same screwdriver jammed into the clip so I could line it up then used my 3ft extension to push it back together. It doesnt sound bad but you have to work with each arm on either side of the exhaust pipe without no room or depth perception since you can only get one eyeball on the connector.

The bellhousing bolts took me like 4 hours to get them all. I do work slow and methodically but it was ridiculous, a lot of it was the starter that once I took the oil filter off made it way easier so thats a good trick to know on that one. The nice thing was that the space between the bellhousing and firewall wasnt too bad and I wonder if that part sucks on the 4.0s, I bet it does.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

kastein posted:

I've unhooked the exhaust from my stupid Subarus and swapped the engines so many times at this point that I can usually do the upstream O2 sensor connector one handed from above. Reach down between the filter housing and firewall, grab the sensor plug, drag it up and guide the harness plug into it with my thumb till the pegs are in the slots, push on the lever and it seats.

Haha yep, same since I have mine strategically zip tied so it doesnt touch the axle instead of in the original spot after messing with the loving exhaust on all my Subarus and taking engines in and out so many times I made that connector my bitch so it speeds up the process of whatever I need it out of the way for as fast as possible.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

The funny thing is it's pretty easy to see that free preventative care could save incredible amounts of money versus having to treat a ton of cases, not to mention lost productivity, but that works for health care in general, not just COVID-19.

Yeah but that's later money, now money is the only money that matters in the US

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I had the most amazing weekend and something happened that I think helped me get over a stage of grief I literally didnt think was possible even last week. Im so happy and I even ended up having a crush on someone and I dont think my heart will be broken forever anymore :unsmith:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thanks guys, Ive been crying a bunch the last few days but like in a good way

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Are you gonna see this person again soon?

No Im not going to pursue that for a few different reasons its more that it happened and its possible and I never thought it would happen again

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

I will probably see that person again in August though and well I guess anything is possible

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Grakkus posted:

congrats man, thats amazing :)

Thank you, I can finally see some light

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Liquid Communism posted:

Ah.

Probably a failure of surface prep under the paint then.

I dont know a ton about house paint but I think thats why you have to use primer so it bonds the paint to the surface. Wherever I read it it said something like "dont use some old paint you have laying around as primer, use primer"

wtf two snipes in a row

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I would say independent contractor/freelancer is the way to go if you can do that. I did it for a few years and it was great.

I know people that own their own businesses and I wouldn't want that kind of stress tbh. Once you own a business it's your life.

It is, its hard to take a break since there is always something to do and you spend a lot of time off thinking "I should do this now" constantly. The learning process can be harsh too when it comes to taxes/fees/licenses since theres no how-to book on every little thing you have to do/pay for the town/state/fed and I ran into a ton of stumbling blocks in the beginning that ended up in fines or fees that I didnt know about.

Once you figure out most of that stuff and it does start to pay off though is a pretty great feeling. The one that always lingers is the "always stuff to do" thoughts and organizing those into being able to take time off when you need/want to is such a relief. loving off for a long weekend now is the best feeling in the world cause I leave those thoughts at home and can have a great time. The hard work pays off eventually just prepare it to be harder and cost more than you think and you will be better off when it comes time to deal with that stuff.

The "I should just get a regular job" thoughts still happen here and there when poo poo is hard but its worth doing it on your own for the most part, its just not easy since yes, it is your whole life and its all on you.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Thats a good one too lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

Gonna try to see if crush person wants to go see New Order and Pet Shop Boys when they come around this fall, waiting to hear back :ohdear: