Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No way I would drive a Kei truck/car on public roads they are loving death traps. Yeah an old cheap F150 isn't the safest vehicle, but it's gonna have an airbag and not cripple you in a fender bender.

This is a kei truck vs Ford Ranger in a low speed crash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5HTFEID9M

1) that's a Chinese car (not that a Japanese one would hold up just a whole lot better
2) jokes on you! A JDM Kei will have the steering wheel on the other side - problem solved (unless you're the passenger...)
3) every motorcycle ever made from the dawn of time until now has even more risk associated with operating it, and people still do so.
4) Automotive Insanity

opengl128 posted:

I saw a first gen Intrepid the other day on the road and stared as I passed it like it was an exotic. Something definitely wrong with my brain but it has been probably a decade since I last saw one and it was looking really cool? Is this what boomer brain rot feels like?

It's not that they looked bad, per se, it's that they *were* bad. It is kind of an achievement for one to have survived this far.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Hey Kaker or Dave - I need some OEM keyblanks for a 1992 Miata which seem exceedingly hard to find in the states, any idea if these are something you can get through your importing connections? The one original I got with the car has a crack in it and isn't safe to keep using.

The later keys from the 93-97 era are shaped differently and all I seem able to find on ebay (so far).

Should be the same key for pretty much any Mazda of the Era, including RX-7s.
Sadly, MegaZip doesn't do OEM Mazda parts -I was able to find a wealth of parts there for my Toyota AE86 Corolla.
Two Mazda dealers with parts departments online show the keys in the Google Ad results, but they're search on their site (both use the same back end...) don't search earlier than 2006 or 2015, depending on the site.
That said, Mazda part # FD0176201 has been superseded by FD0158492. It's supposed to fit, but that is the round-head later key, apparently. I guess it fits, but it cosmetically different.
LAY276201 is correct, but it's the plain key without the rubber on the head.
LA0276202 appears to be the valet key, and also plain.

everdave posted:

Have you been to/have access to a small hardware store in your area that does keys (not lowe's or anything). I do and have no problems getting keys made for early 80's and 90's Japanese imports. I bet somewhere like that would have something that works. I have never owned a Mazda until a fire truck I bought recently and it won't be here til march or April so I haven't had to go see if they have key blanks for it.

The source for parts like that would be yahoo auctions in Japan...

but googling it looks like this place has them for $16 but I would be surprised if my little hardware store didn't have them for $2

https://mossmiata.com/key-blank

That one is the LAY76201.
The hardware store isn't going to have OEM keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

cool, walmart doesn't list if one has a vent tube or not but i googled some everstart ones and know what one will look like, just need the cheapest one, the battery it is replacing was tiny with like 330 CCA

Miatas also had a trunk mounted, thus vented, battery, but they're tiny. Or were on the first-gens, at least. I've not seen the later ones.

Always believed that assholes with money tended to drive expensive German cars the pricks are on the inside. Nice to see it proven scientifically.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

My favorite cars have been shitboxes under $300. Clearly I am not a jerk.

No, you're just a jerk without money.
Kidding. You're decent people, at least on the internet.

The Door Frame posted:

I drive fast, but rarely aggressively. I'm practically a boy scout when it comes to signaling and etiquette

I just like to go fast :shrug:

This is me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Completely unrelated:
How terrible are those ventless combination washer-dryers? If they're decent, I would like the reclaimed space n my garage. If they're terrible, I'd rather not spend $1800. I'd rather not spend $1800 on a washer-dryer at all, if I'm honest, but the wife asked...
I figure that there's just more stuff to break.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

They’re trash. They take 5 hours to do a pair of jeans and two t shirts. My sister had a Bosch and it was junk so they tried a different brand and it was also junk so they went to stacked regulars. The only reason to own one is if you live in an RV or a tinyhome and can’t hang dry.

STR posted:

How much do you like forking over massive amounts of money to TXU/Oncor/etc? :v:

They really are crap unless you get one with a heat pump. And AFAIK those are mostly only available outside of North America.

Elviscat posted:

They're pieces of poo poo, and they release moisture despite their "ventless" claims, which can lead to mold problems, especially in an unheated space like a garage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

same experience with a Bosch unit. we lived in a tiny Boston apartment and it beat the alternative (not having anything at all) for small loads, but do not buy one.

A Small Car posted:

They're really awful, and they get even worse if you're somewhere humid. We put one in one of the units we manage and the moisture trap would fill up before it could even finish a dry cycle. Converted it to vented and all is well again.

I figured. I couldn't fathom how a ventless clothes dryer could function in any way efficiently.
We could hang, but my wife complains about dust or pollen or something, then erects the goddamned portable clothesline in my garage. Whereupon they get dusty from, you know sawdust or grinding dust, with the added bonus of being massively in my way. loving hell I want a workshop. Or a laundry room. Preferably both.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

can you not stack a washer and dryer in the garage?

Pretty sure that the upper one would either be too high for my wife to reach comfortably, or, if I remove the drawer pedestal, the lower one would be too low. Also, I just finished putting cabinets up and I don't think a stack would fit. Ours are full-sized Whirlpools.
I actually have a solution for re-arranging - it was just an idea floated out when my wife discovered the existence of the all-in-ones. I already told her I thought it would be crap, but would ask knowledgeable folks (that's you guys.)
Also, stacking them still doesn't get them out of my garage.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Holy gently caress! One of our engineers has a huge scar on his face from a wire whip years ago, it makes me want to wear a welding helmet every day.

More work stuff: we had a dude with a super long gross beard and it got caught in a machine and he lost a little of it. So Safety comes down and after the investigation they told him he had to shave it down and wear a beard net. This was an assault on that dude's personal style so he quit and I heard he's back a his old job, Hot Topic. Can you imagine being such a dumbass that you'd walk on a solid job with amazing benefits in favor of your goddamned facial hair?

My beard is pretty long now (basically seeing what it will do now) but is definitely not a part of my identity or something. I wouldn't have let it get this long if I were working around machines every day. As it is, it's probably going to get whacked when it starts to get warm again. Also, I try to keep it groomed and clean.

I wore glasses from 3rd grade, so a lot of the time didn't have to think about safety glasses - sort of had them already, right? I know that they weren't "safety" glasses, per se, but I've almost always had polycarbonate lenses, so some protection. I got Cataract surgery and LASIK last year, though, and now I have to remember to get my safety glasses/goggles/facemask. I *want* to. I spent a lot of money to not wear glasses all the time - I'll wear the PPE some of the time to keep that! Not to mention my hearing, lungs, etc.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the other way of looking at the car vs suv fatalities is that buying an SUV strongly decreases the odds that you and your family will be killed in an accident

Yeah, at a certain point, it becomes a defensive reaction.
I want one (or a pickup) because I occasionally do truck things - cargo, and pull trailers.but so far, not enough to step away from my sedan (which, since it's a Crown Vic, isn't all that much better in terms of size or mileage...)

At least I have enough confidence in my driving abilities, to paraphrase the article, that I have few concerns about driving my little AE86, or, when it's running, my '79 RX-7.
There is no denying that I like the power of the V8 in my Crown Vic or Cutlass, for sure, though.

The Prong Song posted:

While true, you just know that's not going to happen. Untrained humans are, like, really, REALLY bad at Game Theory. Plus, buying cars is an inherently selfish endeavor.

This is all true.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MomJeans420 posted:

I like wagons but there aren't a lot of compelling ones on the market, at least for me. But I wanted to buy used, but won't buy a used BMW or Mercedes, so that gets rid of the better options.

That's why I ended up with an '03 Outback.Well, that and running across an amazing Goon deal.
If I could afford it, I would love one of the Buick Regal Tour X wagons, I think. Or, really, a BMW. MB, or Audi wagon, but German car stuff.
Can't even get a Camry or Maxima wagon any more.

Rhyno posted:

It a shame the Dodge Magnum was built out of literal garbage because they looked cool.

:same:

I have little interest in my neighbors because most of them are assholes and/or idiots :shrug:

Well, you *do* live in Florida.

Tremek posted:

MBs for the past decade are considerably more reliable on the whole than BMWs; letting uninformed prejudice guide your decisions will lead to shittier outcomes.

Hmmm. Food for thought.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm actively avoiding FaceBook right now. I have no desire to know exactly how much of the Kool Aid some of my friends and family have swallowed.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

he posted that dumb poo poo about how he's the president that god chose.

Your religion can eat a dick if that's an official position.

Why would God pick someone who clearly doesn’t believe in Him or anything that God has said was important to Him?
That’s one of the bits I can’t fathom: how supposed Christians, Catholics in the case of my parents and a lot of my family, can support one of the most un-Christian Presidents in history is beyond my ken.

meatpimp posted:

You must constantly challenge your views and be ready to change your views when you find evidence to show that you are wrong.

I've changed views on many topics over the years, and I steadfastly believe in my views now, but by god, I'm open to change, because I'm the last person that I'd say is always right.

This, so much this. I’ve been wrong so many times over the years that I have no illusions about the absolute rectitude or my views. Even science comes up with new facts that require changing how we understand the basics of the universe...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

Agreed. I've gotten in arguments on these very boards about topics on which I now have entirely different beliefs - but if anything, those arguments were part of shaping that evolving world view. As you said, challenge your views, and accept clear evidence.
Agreed. The argument presented there (which is stupid) seemed to be that "some listed variety of biblical figures were imperfect (adulterers, thieves, whatever ... oddly, it sounded like a list of the variety of things that Trump has clearly been proven to have done) so don't question G O D, ok?".

Meanwhile Obama is the anti-christ. But not because he's brown. No, it's because of ... reasons.

:ssh: Jesus was an Arabic Jew.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tremek posted:

VFD clocks are great. My second car through circumstance was a ‘90 Acura Legend LS coupe, and it had one of those great VFD purple-white clocks that would even turn on while the car was off if you pushed the panel covering the settings buttons next to it.

For a long time I conspired to put a computer in the trunk of that car and spent way too much time on mp3car[.]com which at the time was a great site and also had a bunch of people figuring out how to use serial VFD displays to show what song was playing. There was a dude on there with a 300zx turbo that made a custom fiberglass housing for a touchscreen display in his dash. Cool poo poo.

/end random rant

I, too, spent a lot of time on mp3car, ultimately doing nothing, because $$ at the time, when I had none.

Wrar posted:

I always had the skills to built a carputer but never the capital at the time. mp3car was cool poo poo.

Yeah, that.

STR posted:

VFD is great so long as it's not Toyota.

The VFD clock in my '87 Corolla works like a champ.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Just do what I do and be (or act) completely uninterested in any kind of political discussion, having no clue what they are talking about and eventually they just stop and you can get on with the golf game. If you give any kind if hint that you have an opinion on it they will ramble non stop. I'm apolitical so it's pretty easy for me :)

I'm pretty apolitical, but I'm annoyed when the current administration, whatever that may be, keeps doing stuff to actively make the world worse and/or gently caress up my life one way or another. For whatever reason, presumably because I'm not a choad, I have friends that are in groups traditionally shat on by Conservatives. Gay, trans, brown, etc., so a little more aware of some of the fuckery the politicos get up to. More than I would like, actually. I'm super-pissed at Trump just because he made it necessary for me to pay more attention by being a fascist dictator fucktard.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I hate them all.

I spent all my downtime reading last night. Reading about this political nightmare we live in. The DNC is 100% going to push Hilary in as the only way to beat Trump.

God I hope not, because they are going to 100% lose again, because, just like the last election, she is literally the only person that independants and non-diehard Democrats hate more than Trump. Just too much bad history there. Not to mention that there are few people that Republicans would fight harder *against*.

cursedshitbox posted:

Still Fabulous.

FTFY

Rhyno posted:

Neither can. But look how goddamned stupid the DNC is. loving look at them. It's a clusterfuck. Bernie Sanders could be the goddamned savior, like political Jesus and they hate him so much that they're going to do everything they can to push him out again.

Sadly, this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

FFS, this is some Ben Garrison level poo poo. Hillary will never run for President again.

Mayor Rat is who they'll try to push in.

I’m kind of impressed and horrified that our politics are so terrible that you know about them. I only know a very few details about Australia’s government from your countrymen posting. Then again, I know more that I’d like about the UKs politics thanks to the shitshow competition that they are having with us... (Guys, you can stop now - you don’t want to win this. It’s like global thermonuclear war: the only way to win is to not play).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

shy boy from chess club posted:

So speaking of assholes check out this beauty of a response I got from the eBay seller I got my lovely steering rack from

All he had to say was sorry dude or just nothing

To be fair, all you did (from his point of view) is whine and say you're not sending in a core, to which he said "OK".
You need to suggest a course of action if you want one.
I mean, *I* would have apologized and tried to make it right, but I'm not a stereotypical eBay/Craigslist/FB Marketplace troglodyte. Actually, I guess I wouldn't have sold a leaky steering rack in the first place, had I known it was such.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I think it's mostly an issue for this one because of the enormous monitor it's hooked up to (I used to play stuff in 1080p fine, but I got rid of those (two) monitors and consolidated into one larger higher res.

But it's really not an issue because I just play xbox anymore, if anything.

The reason I got an Xbox(Xboxes, now) was to get off that upgrade-for-every-game treadmill. I still think I play better with a mouse and keyboard, but I've gotten to where the controllers are fine.

edit: Hey, why's Ken's house thread closed? It ain't done yet.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Feb 7, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

It is. That other one is his Jeep thread.

shy boy from chess club posted:

Yea true, I wasnt really looking for anything besides saying sorry but I guess thats too much, all those extra letters. If they really were a stand up company they would have given a refund. I would have the second I got an email like that. There were 9 other feedbacks like mine with the same problem but I couldnt leave feedback since it was way too late by the time I found out how bad the part was.

Were these sold as new or rebuilt? That would definitely be a problem.
And, as far as I know, you can leave feedback for some time after the sale.I don't leave feedback until I've verified the item, and sometimes that's a month or better. And sometimes I flat out forget to go back and leave feedback, so do it later when leaving it for someone else, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

slidebite posted:

Speaking as a total outsider, they may or may not push out Bernie, but no way will zombie Hillary be back. Even they know that's a 100% guarantee of Trump Mk2. Hell, she has to know that too.

As common sense with a lot of things that Bernie is, legitimately or not, he freaks a lot of people out.

Of course he does. As an actual Liberal, rather than the poseurs currently calling themselves Democrats, he's so far left of them, he's almost over the horizon, despite actually only being a bit left of center maybe more than a little bit. *Everyone* is so far right now that "center" is to the left. Or at least according to what I've seen, which was on the internet, so to be taken with a grain of salt, but it definitely feels like Dems are close to where the GOP was, say, 30 years ago, and the GOP is starting to infringe upon Stalin's territory. Or whatever is over there at the farthest right. Kim Jung Il?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

InitialDave posted:

went to see the Mr Rogers movie, and it was really... nice.
Kind of feel that I miss out on a chunk of background/zeitgeist to it by it not being a show we grew up with here, though.

Oh, yeah, nostalgia helps a bit there. That, and being familiar with Fred Rogers and realizing just how well Tom Hanks nailed the mannerisms and style of the man. Definitely an interesting movie, and way outside my normal interests, but I'm glad I went to go see it.

bandman posted:

I’m in Dallas for the week for work (near the intersection of I-20 and I-45). Someone tell me where I should eat. I’m not gonna go out and see poo poo, so I should at least have good food on the company dime.

Not my side of town, I'm afraid, and I'm terrible at remembering/recommending places to eat and see.
If you can get to Deep Ellum, just east of Downtown Dallas, there's a bunch of stuff there. Some really good, some really pretentious. I like Angry Dog for hot dogs and burgers. There's a Chop House Burgers in Downtown, if you can find a place to park or ride the light rail. The aforementioned Pecan Lodge is also in Deep Ellum, BTW.

BTW, if you do find little time to see stuff, the Dallas Museum of Art, Nasher Sculpture Center, Dallas World Aquarium, and Perot Museum of Nature and Science are all clustered just north and east-ish of Downtown proper. Dealey Plaza (where JFK was shot) and the Sixth Floor Museum are nearby, too. Also the House Of Blues.

bandman posted:

I work on landfills, so being in bad/desolate areas isn’t out of the ordinary :v:

Well, that makes sense, given that the landfill is one of the few things right there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

Meanwhile my own bank wouldn't give me a loan...

... because I missed one of the identity verification questions. One of them was a year of car I'd owned, options were 87, 88, 89, or none. I asked how far back it went, they said up to 5 years. So I said none. They said I failed. Couldn't say which question, but that was the only one that it could be.

I owned two 1988 Honda Accords... in the 1990s. :fuckoff:

Now think about how many people don’t know what model car they have, much less the year, and wonder how that question could even be considered useful for identification.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Krakkles posted:

... and you get lucky.

The basic issue that "bootstraps, my dear boy!" ignores (well, ok, one of them) is that moving several states away is not something everyone can do and a "decent factory job" is very much not widely available. If you got one and you were able to move, you were already ahead of where a lot of other people are, and not (always) in a "just change how you think about it" way.

Yeah, the system is invested in keeping you where you are. Moving across town is hard enough for folks who are in a low-income or no-income situation, much less across the state or out of state.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I don't drive much anymore so that's not a big deal.

Going to test drive it tomorrow, lol. The kid in me says YES YES YES but the adult in me says Not Practical :colbert:

Would be cool to have something to take to car meets tho, you don't see many IROCs anymore.

[e] cool story, I almost lost my license racing a Mustang in my dad's IROC once :v:

Not practical? It's a hatchback!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

get internet hooked up at the new place (friend/roommate doesn't have a computer or netflix or anything fancy like that).

oO
In TYOOL 2020, the Internet, a computer, or Netflix is not "fancy" - it's a necessity. What kind of data do they consume on they're phone, oof.
I have one weird (well, weider than usual) friend who doesn't have home internet (he's got a beef with the city he lives in, and insists on giving them as little $$ via taxes, etc. as possible, to his own detriment) and I just look at him when he complains that he's out of data on his phone for the month.

quote:

Bigger garage, but it's a 1 car driveway, we have opposing work schedules, and my car pisses oil pretty good (so it won't be welcome in the driveway without cardboard under it), so I'll probably be parked in the street. No garage door opener and the bottom panel of the garage door doesn't have rollers (:flaccid:), so pulling a taller car like mine into the garage is a 2 person job (his WRX barely clears it without help). But it's 4 walls and a roof, and it's a house instead of an apartment.

New place is a shithole, in a not great neighborhood, but I already feel like an elephant has been lifted off of my shoulders. Some of the "repairs" done over the years will make kastein's eye twitch, even though it's a late (19)70s build...

I have a set of garage door rollers I will give you for free. I upgraded to nylon wheel rollers years ago, and still have the perfectly functional steel ones kicking around. No brackets, just the wheels with stem. Start fixing stuff as appreciation for the dwelling opportunity or something. I know you can't help yourself anyway.

Congrats on improving your situation. It sucks that the previous relationship didn't work out.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

You're kidding!

I must be, the Bahamas are islands.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yeah, sorry, a Northeast car is largely valueless anywhere but in the Northeast. Too much possibility of hidden Northeastness.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

For me, I'm getting sick of going int to repair or replace one thing, and finding all the *other* stuff that will need to be done that was hidden until I got the first thing out. Getting where I'm afraid to do anything to the house, lest I cause a chain reaction of failure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbSehcT19u0

Home and car ownership right there :v:

Yes, this exactly.
edit: I literally think of this video when this stuff happens.

STR posted:

We got snow in central TEXAS the other day.

I haven't seen snow in 5+ years. When I last saw it, it was in DFW, not Austin..

Snowed up here, too, but basically stopped just west of Fort Worth (Weatherford) thanks to the big heat riser that is DFW making weather go around it. We did get some earlier in the year, at least. Woke up to it snowing at like 9 AM one Saturday morning. It had been 60+ degF the week before, and it was 34 degF at the time, so no chance of it hanging around, of course.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

The missus hates Valentine's day, and even though I enjoy it, we compromise by having a very nice dinner and that's it. No gifts, cards, flowers, or anything else

Gonna get a dry aged tomahawk steak tomorrow night and drink a bunch of booze

That’s pretty much us. I sent her flowers at work (a plant, actually - I decided that sending dead flowers was silly long ago. She can keep the plant in her office and think of me, right?) and we will go out for a nice steak dinner tonight or tomorrow night. And I will refrain from gaming tonight and actually spend time with her instead.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Humphreys posted:

This is neat. There is NEVER enough footage of Group B craziness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO1upq4eAiA

So, when he started talking about the Mazda RX-7 Group S prototype, I had to go look it up.
Not the best page on it, but there's a video of it, with the thing running.
https://rallygroupbshrine.org/group-s/mazda-rx7s-group-s-prototype/

I really like 3-rotors.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Modus Man posted:

Valentine’s Day was never a gift giving day for us, we just get heart shaped pizzas for dinner and now the kids love it too. We did spend the day at IKEA though, and spent $1000 on kids beds and mattresses because they had both outgrown their toddler beds. Now I get to build 2 beds that have about a million pieces each.

You love it and you know it. Just think of it as adult LEGO.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

So my boss came up to me today. (the good guy boss - he's back from medical leave; rear end in a top hat grocery boss got shipped off to another store over sexual harassment)

"Hey, I just posted a full time overnight stocker position. I want you to apply for it."

rear end in a top hat grocery boss had promised me "full time status within 3 months" when I got hired (along with several other people), but of course claimed he never said that. I've been rattling cages about wanting FT status. I automatically get medical insurance after 1 year if I average 32+ hours a week, along with vacation (and I already have their 401k), but I want the rest. Plus I didn't like being lied to by previous boss.

I'm also up for a raise this month. Yay!

e: I should point out I've mostly worked 40+ hour weeks since I started. I was at 38 when I clocked out today, and I work tonight.

Most excellent, my dude!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

Someone in another thread got me hooked on flight simulator videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8DadVR-rl0

This is way more entertaining than it should be

Thank you, that was indeed entertaining. I and my wife laughed out asses off. The deadpan delivery is what makes it, I think.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Whelp, guess my house will stay un-updated. To be fair, I don’t really have the money to have someone else do it anyway.

Edit: and it would take me years to actually, like remodel a room. (Don’t) Ask me about my concrete floors in half the house...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

Carvana says they’ll give me $32,617 for my 2012 GT500 which is pretty reasonable tbh.

Carvana doesn't want any of my cars, to the point of positively insulting offers. Like sub-$1K offers.
$300 for the Crown Vic with 195K on it (and they're VIN entry doesn't recognize the P71 VIN, something I've seen elsewhere.)
They claim the KBB trade in for a 2005 Crown Vic in "OK" condition is $181, which is complete bullshit. It's a running, driving, inspected (legally!) vehicle with AC.

Even more insulting is the $200 offer for our 2008 Kia Spectra5 (145K miles) Really, the KBB trade-in is $577 - $319 "local market" adjustment. No.
KBB Private Party for the car is $3188 avg. I understand that trade-in is less, but an order of magnitude less? Nope, KBB.com says $1158 avg.

I mean, I get it: they don't want older cars, but drat, just say that.

edit: they actually weren't far off on the trade-in for the CV: $181-$418, $250 avg. Yikes.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 19, 2020

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

KakerMix posted:

(the picture is a link to click)

There is this account on Instagram called 'Vintage Backyard' which is a mix of Americana and...Japanica? Classic 50s and on Japanese and American stuff. Both my wife and I follow them and saw that post. I went 'aw man that Toyota jacket owns' and she agreed. She then contacted the account and asked if they'd ship to the USA. They said no, but we have a friend who lives in Japan about half the year 3 weeks at a time who happened to be there. We bought it, sent it to his house in Japan, he sent it to us here in the USA.
Because of all that though we paid $60 bucks for it. That's phenomenally cheap because if you were to pop that on eBay here in the states it would be $200 level. That BUICKBUICKBUICK jacket rules too.

I want that Ford jacket. Not necessarily because I like Ford, but I had a jacket like that as a kid in the ‘70s, matching my dad’s. I don’t recall what the featured product on that one was, if any, I just remember the offset racing stripe. I think mine was white with blue. Loved that jacket. I wonder if mom has a picture of me in it? Guess I need to find a reproduction or something.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Management obsession with sickness absence is crazy. Our office rule is if you're sick, DO NOT COME TO WORK TO INFECT EVERYONE ELSE. We can manage when you're sick, we'll do whatever you have booked in, but if you give that poo poo to everyone then we simply cannot function so please stay the gently caress away. You're not being a hero for rolling up to work infectious, you're being an utter oval office. Your job is literally not that important that you can't take a couple of days to get over it to the detriment of the others in your office.

That’s great for those who have sick days. I’m a contractor that my host company won’t convert because the CIO is... odd about the position. gently caress you, I’m coming in unless I’m dying, because I can’t afford to lose multiple days’ pay. Fortunate for them that I don’t really get sick often I’m Typhoid Mary
Actually, my supervisor is pretty cool and perturbed at the situation re: not converting to full time regular employee, so he tells me to take a day as needed and still put down the hours. If anyone asked, I’m doing a project for him, working from home.

Rhyno posted:

Just tires? I bought the ryobi auto filler and will probably never touch a compressor again.

I have a 5HP 30-gallon air compressors - and I’ll still use the little Ryobi inflator so I don’t have to drag the air hose out. It takes a lot longer, but, eh. I may upgrade to the inflator that you can set the desired pressure and walk away - mine is the little guy that you have to hold the trigger on, but I got it for $15 at an outlet tool store.

... aaand now I’ll be ordering one.

Liquid Communism posted:

A whole bunch of people are about to have a really hard lesson in why 'just in time logistics' that rely on trans-oceanic shipping is a Real Bad Plan if you want resiliency in your supply chain.

We’re having issues getting new laptops for new associates at work. Never mind that HR keeps hiring people with 3 days notice...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hi chat thread!
I have a bad habit of going to thrift stores and buying poo poo I don't need.

One of my more recent purchases:
Polycom VVX500 IP phones.

$5 each but the color of the week was purple so $5 for both.

I just got my PBX up and running and I'm all set to plug them in when I realize I can't trunk it to Google Voice anymore without buying an Obihai adapter because GV doesn't run XMPP anymore :(

Anytime I tell anyone else their response is usually something to the effect of, "why the gently caress do you need a house phone?"

Why the gently caress do you need a house phone?
I still have one connected to an Ooma VOIP, but the Ooma box recently decided its Ethernet port no longer worked. So, basically, I have the equivalent of a Google Voice number. Never rings at the house, but we get the voice mail notices. And it’s finally been long enough not giving out that number that no one has left a voice mail for months. We still use that number for emergencies and bill collectors, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Makita is better quality and more expensive than Ryobi.

But Ryobi is more affordable and has a bigger variety of tools and other poo poo (fans, radios, lights etc) that work on their batteries, all my poo poo is Ryobi, I even have a Ryobi lawnmower and it's awesome. It's all fine for me as a homeowner, I don't need DeWalt/Makita level tools.

That’s basically my view on it. If I were a pro, my tools would be Dewalt or Milwaukee or some such, but the Ryobi stuff is holding up fine for homeowner stuff. It doesn’t hurt that you can buy the older NiCad tools and use the LiIon batteries with them, making used tools viable. Almost all of my Ryobi are the old blue tools. I bought a big set on eBay a couple years ago for cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I knew that had to come out sooner or later.

quote:

Edit: I mean I have a phone with my FiOS service but I like loving around with telephony. It's sort of my wheelhouse.

That's reason enough for me.

jonathan posted:

One nice thing about Milwaukee is that high quality cheap Chinese counterfeit batteries are plentiful.

Ryobi off-brand batteries are also plentiful, and about half the price. I've had excellent results from the pair of no-name 5.0 AH batteries for Ryobi I bought some time ago. They're holding up well.