Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
It's all an elaborate troll to get us go to watch Groundhog Day 2, which is just a rescreening of Groundhog Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Ugh, finally brought the Fit home after leaving it in the parking lot at work for almost a year. I expected the dead battery. I expected the minor flat spots on the tires (they rolled out on the way home). I did NOT expect the $75 cruise control main switch to have broken :argh:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Wait, why did you leave it?

It needed an alignment and I was lazy :negative:

I have been driving the CR-V since I got it up and running last year. Now, since I'm not doing any racing, I'm not really worried about the camber and just did a string alignment for toe. Really I just got a wild hair up my rear end this morning to get it up and running again, so I jumped it off and took it home. I've been missing having something sporty and tossable to hop in to.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

meatpimp posted:

So much for our co-equal branches, they had a good 240 year run.

Yes but no. Party loyalty regardless of facts are the problem here.

Fake edit: "Party Loyalty" brings to mind Soviet Russia and I got a bit of an uneasy chill at the thought.

Krakkles posted:

Yep. This is clear precedent that essentially nothing is impeachable from here on out. Nixon should've just tried harder, I guess?

More like "nothing is impeachable if you hold a dogmatic Senate majority"

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Krakkles posted:

I mean, yes, it helps, but he obstructed justice in the House, why wouldn't he just do it in the Senate, too?

You could take that a step further and say the Supreme Court - in theory, the Court could have ordered him to comply, but ... why would he listen there, either?

It's the way the system worked for ~240 years, but it's just been proven a lie.

If he'd not had the Senate to acquit, they might have impeached on obstruction if he didn't comply with subpoena.

The Door Frame posted:

Ol' TJ on liberty

Yeah :smith:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Feb 5, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Holy gently caress is this dude even REAL?!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1225174713992990721?s=20

Maybe I'm reading this the wrong way but uh it really looks like he's saying he wants to run for more than two?! Or am I missing some in-joke due to ignorance?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Feb 5, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Update to my post from yesterday, Romeo is now named Juliet, because she's a girl, and she's already socializing with the other cat in the house!

Classic :3:. At least something good is happening today.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

builds character posted:

The secret ingredient is hypocrisy.

...secret? :crossarms:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Galler posted:

It might just be closed until the next update since it went off topic a week ago and didn't stop

That sounds like a very Ken thing to do; he'd be a great mod if he wasn't buried under The House of Theseus and 20 tons of scrap metal shaped like Jeeps, Subarus, and a 5ton.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

big dong wanter posted:

does anyone else have a car that they switch between loving and hating?
for me its the brz86, i saw the awd turbo rally brz and fell in love with them but earlier tonight i saw a p plater clip a parked car trying to drift out of a carpark and he drove off and now i hate them

If I like a car, I don't allow some dipshit driving it like a dong to change my opinion of it.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I took the Fit to my buddy's shop to get it up on a lift for diagnosis of the loose steering. Figured it might be inner tie rod ends.

Fuckin' nope. It's the goddamn rack. Gots a big ol' dead spot in the middle. Turn the wheels left or right a bit and everything is nice and tight, but the middle gives me like 2-3mm of play at the tie rods. If it was loose all over I could tighten up the adjusting nut, but with the play being localized to the center I feel like that would give me tight steering in the middle and binding everywhere else.

Honda wants just under $1100 for a new rack and just under $300 for the electric power steering motor :shepspends:

I love the car and I'm almost willing to pay it but with the age I think I'm just going to source a used rack, hopefully from a car that hasn't been absolutely beat to poo poo like mine.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

sharkytm posted:

I just checked car-part, and there's one with the pump for my '07 Fit at a JY 45 minutes away for $70. I think you'll be fine with a JY rack.

Yeah I found one same year online for like $110. Ordinarily with Honda I'm a big fan of new OEM, but in this case (and the case of my CR-V's driveshaft) Honda can kick rocks.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
My new girlfriend was nice enough to ask my opinion of 02/14 ("between indifferent and mildly disgusted") so we settled on cooking things for each other. She's second-gen Cuban from Miami, and since I've never dabbled in Cuban cuisine I tried my hand at black bean soup and picadillo. I hosed up the soup by adding waaay too much of my Death Powder (finely ground Carolina Reaper, Ghost, and Habanero pepper), but she loved the picadillo. She made me gooey butter bars and Extra Lemony Lemon Bars :swoon: I ate like half of them. She says that she now understands why I don't keep sweets in the house (because I have little self-control when it comes to sweets, and with lemon bars I become a madman.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Feb 15, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Back on the RHD thing, someone pointed out to me that even Jeep can screw together RHD vehicles. JEEP!

One of my newspaper carriers had a RHD Cherokee. I didn't know until I went to orient him on the route, ended up completely redoing the delivery routing and sequencing to suit him (since nearly all our other carriers use standard LHD for delivery).

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

meatpimp posted:

2 pages back, but wanted to share a follow up to my e/n post...

Contractor showed up today to install the cabinets. Contractor struggled getting the sink base over the 18" stubs I had through the floor.

Contractor and his guys snagged the PVC stubs when setting the sink base.

Contractor and his guys broke the cold water feed line and the line that protruded 12" above the inside of the sink base protruded 4" above the sink base... while the other one was at full height. Because they BROKE THE loving PVC LINE.

Contractor did not tell me.

I found out about 40 minutes later after a 1/2" water line had been pumping full-pressure water into my finished basement.

I've got many hundreds, if not a thousand gallons of water in the basement. Somehow the contractor says that it's my fault. :lol: gently caress him sideways. And I will, to the full extent of my capability.

Because... right now... all of the stuff that we had moved to the basement as we recovered from the water flood disaster from last August... is now soaking in water from our water flood disaster in February. :suicide:

The good news is that I got the Wyze cameras on Krakkles' suggestion and I have full video of the events. The audio is fucky, but I think it'll end up as evidence. Thanks, Krakkles.

:magical: That loving blows

I have a serious justice-chub for the dicking you're going to give this guy

Every time I think about paying other people to do things I can do but don't really want to I read something like this and I'm all "Yeah it'll take me twice as long and look half as good but the fucker will work like it's supposed to and won't be broken".

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

HOLY loving poo poo THEY REVEALED WHAT MY SPACE WIRE IS FOR

And I cant say but it's amazing and has amazing terrestrial potential and I am so mind blown.

Will you ever be able to tell us, or is this something super-classified? I'm a bit spacemad myself and would probably be right there with you excitedly hopping up and down like a big dumb idiot, as I imagine you're doing.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I always have enough beans and rice for weeks if not months, as well as a white gas camp stove. Living in Florida you learn to be without power and groceries for at least a week if not longer. I imagine if poo poo gets weird it will be much the same.

I've had the bird flu, the swine flu, and other crap that was killing folks and freaking people out, and beat it off in a couple days. I've quit smoking thanks to my vape pen (which I'm weaning off of much faster than I thought I would) and I'm running again. Fuckin' bring it on.

My mom and dad will absolutely die though, being smokers in their sixties.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Feb 24, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

jonathan posted:

If I get corona virus I'm going on a tinder rampage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ19qh4g2-o

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
There is a neat thread that popped up in GBS

your frst car turns out to have been sentient. it calls you on the phone.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

STR posted:

Mostly did the doctor bit so I could get a note for work (they want one after missing more than 2 days in a row).

I have never understood this poo poo. I am sick. I know I'm sick. I know I'll loving get over it. Don't make me go spend money on top of the shift money I'm already losing just to have my PCP go "Yup, you need fluids, food, and rest. Here's your $125 scribble on a glorified post-it note with a letterhead."

The last stint I did with retail I put a stop to that poo poo for the rest of my stay with one incident. The second day I was out sick with a stomach bug of some kind, I was on the phone with my manager and she was adamant I bring a doctor's note when I came back. "Actually, you know what, I'll come in tomorrow." "Okay great!"

I drove in to work, arrived about ten minutes early, and scarfed a drive-through breakfast burrito. I then punched in, staggered over to the manager, and asked to speak to her in her office. I didn't even get a chance to sit down before I puked in her office trashcan. I looked her dead in the eye, said "Well, I'm here, but I clearly can't work. Do me a favor and clock me out?"

We didn't have any more fuckin' problems after that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

bolind posted:

In other news, recommend me a backpack. Must be able to contain a laptop, be reasonably ergonomic, waterproof and have access possibilities that aren't top only. Osprey is a brand that springs to mind, but I'm not married to it. Will be used to haul laptop, bike helmet, clothes, groceries etc. to and fro on my commute, which will be mainly by bike.

https://kriega.us/r25-backpack

I've been in a downpour for half an hour in this thing with dry contents, but I'm not sure it's "waterproof" rated. Is this going to be a hiking type bad or a general EDC bag?

Best way to keep poo poo dry is a plastic dry bag inside whatever pack you carry.

Edit: seems that they claim they're all waterproof.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 28, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So it's been a loving day.

My 63yo mother tripped and fell last night, banged herself up a bit. Needed some help to get to bed. We planned on hitting up urgent care this morning.

Well, this morning she was not able to walk, and moving was agony, so I called the ambulance.

Verdict: Hip broken :geno:

FUUUUUUUUUUCK

I am so not ready for the elderly parents stage of life.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 28, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
GUESS WHO DRAGGED THEIR rear end ON GETTING HEALTH INSURANCE FOR THREE MONTHS BEFORE THEY BROKE THEIR HIP

:cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes::cripes:

Moral dilemma: Do I cash out my poo poo to save her bacon, or recommend a bankruptcy lawyer and pull the ripcord?

Some good news at least: she had surgery this afternoon and it only took 90 minutes for a total hip replacement. Doc said she'll probably go home tomorrow and be walking by next week.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Feb 28, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

cakesmith handyman posted:

Combine the two silicon valley style, introduce a new disruptive tech to track and report lost chickens: facebuk buk bukark

AI March Facebuk buk buKAAARK thread

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Re: insurance chat; I did mention she had three (four, actually) months to get a policy, no? hosed up USA medical situation or no, this current lack of coverage falls squarely in her wheelhouse. As a successful realtor, she had ample opportunity and means. I was advising her back in November about how to get it done. She assured me she would be able to take care of it by the end of December when my father had canceled his policy to go on Medicare. My brother, my father, and myself are all simultaneously pissed and distraught at the hole she's gonna be in.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elmnt80 posted:

Sometimes hospitals will outright forgive the debt if the bill is going to be impossible to pay off. It's worth a try.

Word, thanks for the tip. We're going to exercise every avenue to reduce the cost as much as possible but due to her near-six-figure income in 2019 I don't have high hopes.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Unrelated: Trying to restart an intermittent fasting routine on a 3rd shift schedule is not fun.

:hfive: Nothing on 3rd shift is fun. I was almost over the crud I've had since Tuesday by Thursday but dealing with Mom's hip hosed up my sleep schedule and now it's like it caught a second wind and I'm still hacking poo poo up.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Truth. Except the lack of competition for OT. Nobody wants to work 3rd and even fewer people want to spend their weekends at work.

I hope your mom's hip heals okay and i hope you can get some rest.

Thanks dude :)

Hospital did end up keeping her until today, at least that's the last I heard from her (since the initial crisis I've been letting dayside family people handle the process other than caring for her dog).

Today is definitely a me-only day. Gonna laze around the house and maybe finish my new Skyrim install while sipping on honey lemon whiskey tea.

Speaking of whiskey, since when has it been the best nasal decongestant in the world?! I took a sip the other morning just to gargle with for my sore throat and I swear I heard an audible crinkling noise in my sinuses as they opened up like the pearly gates. I heard horns. I am no joke carrying around my 8oz flask with me just having a half-ounce nip every hour or so and it's amazing.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 1, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

slothrop posted:

If it’s Fireball you’re drinking, it’s probably the anti-freeze going to work

It's actually some local whiskey :q: Dude has a nice still in his garage and ages it himself. The current batch I'm drinking is only a year old but tastes better than a ton of the poo poo you typically see in the $30-$50 range. He says it's about 80-90 proof. I paid $25 for a quart of the stuff and don't regret a single penny.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Tomarse posted:

Also - where is the March thread?

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Your turn to make one :)

:frogsiren: NEW THREAD :frogsiren:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Y'all comin' in here disrespecting my thread 'n' poo poo, buncha wackadoos

May your gaskets leak and your clutches slip! I curse you with a no code intermittent misfire!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

May thy diff pinion chip and shatter!

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm here for the cars.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted: