Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I'm so hilariously late to the party, I only got this game a week and a half ago but I'm completely obsessed.

My current villagers are Mac, Diva, Flurry, Bianca, Drago and Klaus (he's still in the campsite, his house is being built).

Waiting for spooky times, I'm not brave enough to time travel yet.

What's the raccoon goons tag a lot of people have? It's going to take me, uh, a while to read all 900+ pages of this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Desperate Character posted:

:siren: remember to check Ables every day in October they sell one Halloween clothing piece [with color variations] each day; also villager diy can be Halloween recipes

If Mabel ever comes back and lets me build the drat store I will :argh:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Leif, please go away, you were here yesterday. You are super chill and nice and I like you but I need Mabel so I can get my clothing store built.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...Klaus, how are you crafting a tulip wreath? There are no tulips on this island yet.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Hey, I have a question about fruit. The random starter fruit Mom sends on your first day, do all the player characters on your island get that, or only the primary? And if everyone gets it, is it the same fruit?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Out of 25 pumpkins I got 2 white and 1 green, no yellow. Guess I'm planting more. Why must they be random.

Also I checked my island rating on a whim and somehow hit 3 stars and unlocked KK's visit. My tenth villager hasn't even moved in yet, I've been playing for two weeks. I think this has triggered a bit soon. I'm nowhere near ready to start loving around with paths and terraforming.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Wisp and Celeste tonight, first time for both. No shooting stars in sight though :(

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Metaline posted:

In that case, I wanna be able to lie down passed out like the seagull twins.

Your wasp friends are happy to help you with this goal any time you like.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

My favorite animal only appears in this game as a dirty crook. I want a fox villager!

Most of the wolves could pass for varicoloured foxes. Chief and Audie look closest to typical red foxes, and are probably meant to be in the same way that a lot of the tigers are leopards and a lot of the ostriches are random assorted birbs.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Just found Lucky on a nook island! Perfect Halloween friend.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Looks like I'm going to be eating a loss on turnips this week. I should honestly just pony up for a Switch Online membership and join the rest of you in becoming very rich very quickly, but eh.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Redd finally showed back up. Time to dump my garbage-price turnips and start time travelling to grab as much art as I have the patience for.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Words cannot express how unbelievably infuriating it is that paths don't touch the plaza edge/airport entrance/museum steps. Those tiny strips of green grass are going to cause me so much pain.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Spellman posted:

One thing that works for me is that I just don't put paths there whatsoever

I think it will look nice as the seasons change

Oh, that does look pretty nice. I was also considering breaking the path into stepping stones, if there's grass showing through in a lot of places it would look more intentional. I'll have to think on it.

Time to spend most of today fishing I suppose.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Got bronze trophy and all the loot during the tourney. Doing the rounds of the villagers to give out their daily coconuts now they've all stopped fishing obsessively (aside from Klaus and Apollo who haven't got the memo yet, seriously guys you need to stop). It rolled over to 8pm, took a run up to the cliffs to see if there's a ghostie there today and had my first encounter with a scorpion holy gently caress those little buggers are fast i didn't even loving see it until it rammed into me and now all the crickets are scaring me.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fun with terraforming today. The area around my plaza and the paths around the villager houses are pretty much done now (or will be when I stop procrastinating and move the last flowers out of the way to finish paving an area). It's now possible to actually walk along the back of the island all the way around. And there's a little alleyway to Redd's beach from the scummy trash/weed-filled hollow where my alt's shack is half hidden. I'm getting there.

How often do you get campsite villagers, incidentally? Since the mandatory first smug visitor (Klaus) I've only had one random drop by. I do have all ten villagers.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Slugworth posted:

It's sort of random, but basically 3 days after the campsite has emptied, you get an increasing chance of a camper every day (5 percent the third day, 10 percent the next, topping out at a 20 percent chance every day).

Ah, thanks. I thought it would be more common.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

I actually had a couple of shooting stars last night, got maybe 5 or so. No time to check for fragments until later but this is a first for me. No Celeste though so I still only have one recipe, guess I'll save any that wash up for another time.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Is that Bob's actual catchphrase or have you turned him into Spat deliberately? Because Spat is the best, pfpth.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It rained for a little while and I managed to catch a coelacanth and a giant trevally for Blathers (he wasn't as impressed as I hoped he'd be). Didn't catch any more to sell or find a mahi-mahi though.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

My boy Leif bringing me a shrub and a flower I didn't have, you da... uh... sloth. Yeah, you da sloth.

Wish he sold fruit too.

edit: Oh hell yes, Ironwood Dresser DIY in my message in a bottle. Today is a goood day.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Oct 15, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

UltraRed posted:

Fruit's not that hard to come by. Plant one, get 3 more.

I meant as a way to get the remaining non-native fruit. Since it's literally impossible to get all five types playing solo for some bullshit reason and some of us don't have Switch Online.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

LODGE NORTH posted:

I think you only need NSO for playing online with other people, but I'm fairly certain you can still send mail. At that length, people can mail you fruit if you have them added.

I read you can only send mail to people not on your island once you've visited them or they've visited you? I haven't tried though.

It's not a huge deal for me, I will eventually suck it up and get the subscription, it just seems weird they lock fruit types of all things. Leif will eventually provide the missing flowers so they were willing to compromise for that but apparently fruit is the hill they want to die on.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Yeah, the sister fruit only mechanic is still a thing. At least I got a third type of fruit from Mom, it's apparently possible for her to send your sister fruit so you only get two.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Captain Hygiene posted:

It somehow took me until right now to realize you could place seaweed on the ground. I could've had a gross seaweedy beachfront for months now, :pressf: me :smith:

I've been decorating my beach rocks with it. It makes squishy noises when you run over it.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

...Mac, buddy, we need to talk. Why are you making a doghouse?

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Prowler posted:

Doesn't he already have one in his default house?

I don't know, he was my starter jock so he's in a wooden cabin. It matches the outside of his house so I don't feel bad about forcing him to stay in a starter home. It would be interesting if your early villagers had a tendency to craft the furniture they would normally have in their real homes. I'd love if that happened and over time they upgraded their furniture themselves, but sadly no.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Prowler posted:

Ah, make sense. Yeah, he has three different beds in his default house: a cot, a dog house, and a cat bed. His default house is like a cluttered back yard---nothing too special, so you're not missing out on much.

That sounds pretty fitting for him. I love my idiot dog son.

Also the water landscaping construction thing sucks rear end. I'm getting pretty good at the paths and cliffs now but I cannot get this stupid goddamn river to work out because no matter how carefully I position myself my stupid avatar seems to pick tiles almost at random. Oh, you want to smooth off the tile you just placed? Nah, let's add a new tile over here instead. You want to remove that? How about we remove the one next to it instead?

I just want to extend my river so my new walled area can have some running water, game. Why do you hurt me so.

(It doesn't help that I've had to remove so many plants to make room for new projects that my rating has been stuck on two stars for a while now. Be patient, Isabelle. I'll repopulate eventually.)

An even more serious and tragic issue is that there are just Too Many cute sweaters in this game and I can't wear them all.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 17, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Finally got a campsite visitor for only the second time since the compulsory one.

Bloody Jitters.

Go away you strange football-obsessed bird, I've rejected you on two Nook islands already.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Pretty successful evening. Wished on a couple of shooting stars, grabbed a zodiac recipe off Celeste (wish it was a proper meteor shower but this is still good) and finally caught a scorpion for Blathers, with the aid of Lucky helping distract the little bastard.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Whyyyy will none of my villagers ask if they should leave

It's been like three weeks now

I don't actively hate any of them but I'm also not attached to most of them and I want to meet some new friends

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

track day bro! posted:

lol if you don't make up elaborate backstories of your villagers and all their relationships with eachother

Mac and Bianca spend most of their time wearing shirts they gifted to one another (via my delivery services).

Annalisa and Flurry keep meeting up to have conversations about baking and books :3:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I know, why did I plant like 35 of the fuckers? I hope everyone's gonna enjoy endless gifts of pumpkins for the rest of time.

Actually, if the pumpkins have grown but haven't been picked, will they stay, uh, befruited through the year?

I hope so, I'm leaving my little pumpkin field fully planted up because it looks really nice.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Finally crawled back up to a three-star rating. Isabelle needs to lay off the drat whiskey, I've planted three or four times as many flowers and trees as I originally removed while terraforming, which is what dropped me to two stars in the first place. So glad you're finally happy, princess.

I'd have a lot more flowers if it would rain once in a while, too. I'm watering but it's not having much impact. (My big flower beds are all near the plaza so the villagers will water some of them. Success is middling.)

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

It's raining to spread my flowers!

Flick is here to buy my bug pile which will let me get my basement and still have some turnip money left over!

Vivian is visiting the campsite!

Today is a great day!

edit: And Vivian offered to replace Diva without my needing to reset! I'm so happy.

Black Robe fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 23, 2020

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

What are some nice outdoor lighting options to look out for? I'm using the little garden lamps at the moment but I'd like something taller and don't have enough nook miles for a dozen streetlamps.

I know about the halloween one but I won't be using those all year. I also know about the neon palm trees, going to be replacing my tiki torches with those on the beaches when I find the recipe but the rest of the island is more temperate.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Ktb posted:

There's a taller stone lamp that comes as a diy recipe called "tall lantern" The bamboo floor lamp DIY is a bit shorter but ok too.

There's a couple DIYs for hyacinth and shell shaped lamps and the nova light from celeste. There's some other stuff too but I think it's all seasonal.

I really like the paper lanterns from the catalogue because you can customise them. If you need these I can give you one of each colour so you can order more.

Thanks for the offer but I don't have NSO (yet), I think I have a paper lantern in storage anyway, I'll have to try customising it. The tall and bamboo lanterns look pretty good, I'll have to watch for those/maybe do some nook tours hunting extra bottles or something.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

yippeekiyaymf posted:

Be sure to check villagers. Three craft a day. Approximately 9-12, 1-3, 3-6. I’ve found it varies sometimes if I start early but each day is a guarantee of three villagers crafting plus the bottles and balloons.

Yeah, I've been checking in. Most of them are stuck on Halloween stuff or various flower crowns at the moment but every now and then one of them does cough up something different.

Ktb posted:

Just had a display issue on the switch that made everything look quite disturbing.

oh god one of the nooklings dissolved in the radiation

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Welp, got a private solo performance from KK tonight, none of my villagers could be arsed to show up. :v: Sorry dude, everyone went home early I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

No, Mac. Bad dog. You are never allowed to leave. (why couldn't it have been Ruby asking)

Vivian is here and I love her already. She is... unlikely to get on with most of my idiot squad. I should try and recruit a friend for her next time I get a vacancy.

Snot-pig has coughed up my vegetables for the week, if I could not have a fluctuating pattern this time that would be great thanks.