Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Gonna be sharing an island with my husband and it's gonna be great! :dance: He has his own Switch, but we're sharing because he likes designing things but gets burned out on the daily stuff. I like doing the daily stuff and making slow progress, but I'm rubbish at designing things.

Therefore, together we will make the best island the world has ever seen! Just stuck on what to name it. Help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

GoodBee posted:

I'm definitely going digital purchase for AC. I kind of abandoned my New Leaf town when I swapped carts to play something else.

Oh yeah digital is 100% the way to go for a game like Animal Crossing. Good choice.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I said come in! posted:

You and I are in the same boat, I like doing the daily stuff and collecting things, but am not that creative and so designing my town and house is a chore to me.

I can decorate houses OK (I loved Happy Home Designer!) but designing paths and deciding where things go and overall aesthetic makes my brain hurt.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

jackhunter64 posted:

This next 20 minutes is going to feel longer than the previous six months.

Uuuugh and I'm stuck at work. I can't even watch on my lunch break cuz I'm going out with some co-workers for a birthday or something. The wait is going to be sheer torture!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Husband and I were planning to set up the island like a Polynesian resort. With the terraforming and placing villager houses, we could even have different "tiers" of houses like you would at a resort. Villager we like? Oh he gets a house on the beach, or even the overwater bungalo~. Villagers we don't like get the cheaper rooms with no ocean view.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I imagine it'll be like the system they implemented in the Welcome Amiibo expansion for New Leaf, where you'd have daily and weekly tasks to complete that award coupons (tickets?) that you could exchange for goods at the campground. The tasks were usually quite easy to do, and you got a new set every day/week.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I want to be a Racoon Goon

Me too!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Popete posted:

Meanwhile us P-Z posters are dying

The pain of being an S!

Why didn't I pick some other transition metal?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Junpei Hyde posted:

Infinitum you are a goddamn hero

Hail to IK Infinitum!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Argue posted:

I'm going to make a house that has nothing but a hoard of toilet paper and canned goods, which I'm assuming are things that I'll be able to find in the game.

If it uses the furniture from Happy Home designer, canned goods are a thing you can get for sure. Unsure about toilet paper, but you could maybe get some cardboard boxes and pretend they contain toilet paper?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

GoodBee posted:

So who is going to name their island BONE ZONE and fill it with fossils and/or dicks?

Neat! Thanks for fixing my busted avatar.

I'm sharing my island with my husband, and it's definitely going to be called some variant of Bone Zone, on suggestion from folks earlier when I asked for island name suggestions. Probably won't carry it that far, though.

In fact I was thinking I'd call it Le BonZone, as we're going to make the island look like a Polynesian resort. Bon is French for good and it's pronounced like bone. Plausible deniability! Maybe we can put some accents in there too to Frenchify it more.

I am getting way too hyped for this game. I realized I could use the other player houses to make resort facilities! Like a gym, or a pool, or a cafe! Hell, how about THEMED restaurants?! Curry restaurant, spooky restaurant, smoothie bar by the beach?!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA help this game is going to consume my life.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Walrus Pete posted:

Share your town tunes!

I've used this one in multiple AC games before so I'm looking to mix it up. Show me what you got.

I am not the least bit musically inclined. I had my boyfriend (now husband) make me one way back in Wild World and I've just copied the same one ever since. It's the opening notes to a pirate song he and his sister wrote when they were in middle school. I'll share it if I can dig up City Folk to copy it from yet again.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I am not the least bit musically inclined. I had my boyfriend (now husband) make me one way back in Wild World and I've just copied the same one ever since. It's the opening notes to a pirate song he and his sister wrote when they were in middle school. I'll share it if I can dig up City Folk to copy it from yet again.

I got it! Oh a pirate's life is the life for me!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Whimsicalfuckery posted:

Hello thread, I'm allowing myself to feel the hype now for NH since its only a few days (!!) away. I spent so much time in the GC game and later in NL it's unreal, and I'm looking forward to making my island amazing. I even took Friday off work so I can give it my full attention.

Have you guys got a firm idea for your island name yet? Do we know how many characters the name can be? I'm tempted to name mine Belpen like my first GC town but I'm not sure yet.

Also are people adding friend codes? Heres mine! SW-6081-0669-6608. I'll go back through the thread and add those I see!

Also I might as well post my painting of my favourite villager that I did back when NL was newly out!

10-character limit. Mine's going to be called LeBonZone, with whatever spaces I can cram in there. I'm sharing the island with my husband.

There's a friend code spreadsheet in the OP. Add yourself there and start adding people! I'm in there and I will accept any requests that come my way.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

liquidypoo posted:

Catch ocean fish then place them as decorations on the edges of the beach. Stare into the freedom you once held and despair

You monster.

I like it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Next batch queued up

Approaching 250 tags :ninja:

Hail Idiot King Infinitum! Long* may he reign.

*Until the game launches.

Seriously thank you for doing this. It's nice to have my first ever gang tag. :3:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

d3lness posted:

Looking forward to hanging out with goons on Fantasy Island. I tried to get into New Leaf, but burned myself out by trying to min/max my income and farming beetles super hard. I played and loved Happy Home Designer. Here's hoping the extra decoration/crafting along with not playing in a tiny screen is conducive to island vacationing. :)

I loved Happy Home Designer too! Being able to put decorations outside in NH has me so so extremely pumped it's not even funny! :dance: But yeah don't min/max Animal Crossing. It is not the kind of game for doing that. Just chill and relax.

Anybody is welcome to LeBonZone, to chill and grab a smoothie and/or relax on the beach.

Just as soon as I get the smoothie bar built, anyway.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Animal Crossing New Horizons question. If my wife and I each get our own copy of the game, will we be able to use the the same island and play with each other? Or is it more that we each have our own separate islands and can just visit each other sometimes?

It's less a matter of having your own copy of the game and more whether you each have your own Switch. If you want to be able to share the island and play together all the time, you want to both use the same Switch. Make a character for your wife using a different profile, and you can both run around at the same time doing stuff on the island.

If you both have your own Switches and each have a copy of the game, you'd each get your own island, and you'd be able to visit each other locally or online.

Which one you do depends on whether you both want to have your own island. Personally, my husband has his own Switch Lite but we're going to share an island on my Switch. He likes designing and planning, but gets burned out on the daily stuff pretty quick. I like doing the daily stuff and making slow progress, but I'm rubbish at designing. I love to decorate though! I figure together we can make a gorgeous island.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

d3lness posted:

From the experienced villagers out there, what do you usually do during the first week or so considering the slow startup and burn of the game? Is the first leg of gameplay just meeting citizens, getting tools, and selling fruit?

Animal Crossing is a chill game. You just chill. Probably you'll want to get your basic tools so you can start skipping through the fields catching butterflies right away. Also fishing.

Other than that, chill. Explore your island, catch bugs and fish, chat up your neighbors. Think about where you want to put things. Visit other people's islands, steal their fruit, and bother their villagers. You can plant other people's fruit in your own town, and- if it works the same as it did in all the other games, you can sell the fruit from those trees for a lot more than your native fruit goes for.

But I can't emphasize enough that this is not a game you min/max. Just chill.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

alarumklok posted:

I will not use cards; every villager is welcome to chill out and be cool island folk on my island.

Except for Pietro. Pietro can loving die.

I will welcome all residents to LeBonZone. Residents I like will get the beachfront property. Less favored residents might get tucked away somewhere else. Idk. I just know that the cool kids' club will be chilling on the beach with me, having barbecues and drinking smoothies.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You don't want to know why Ankha is sought after.

E: Apparently the new wolf villager is named Audie as a homage to that one Grandmother that's been playing New Leaf nonstop for 4 years :3:

Because she's a cute cat and people like cute cats. :colbert: Don't be weird.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Welp, husband and I were already working from home this week. Buuuuut I just found out that the aquarium I volunteer at every Friday is closing. Only essential animal care personnel are to go in, as the fish still need to eat, obv.

Sucks, but that means I can stay home and play Animal Crossing all day instead of getting up at rear end o'clock, driving for an hour, and chopping up fish for hours! :dance:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Minrad posted:

For fellow third shifters: do ya'll just deal with events taking place around noon being hard to do, or do you set your town clock forward like 8 hours so it's in the AM in game when you wake up?

I'm not a third shifter, but I have opinions! I say play the game the way you want to. Make it adhere to your schedule. If that means timeshifting it by 8 hours so that it's morning in the game when you wake up, etc. then do that! You're a grown-rear end adult with a job and poo poo. You shouldn't have to miss out on stuff in the game because you don't have a 9-5 or whatnot.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

hopeandjoy posted:

I’m going to play this game a little each day, the way God intended.

That's how I was going to do it too, but I'm not going to tell people how to play the game. :shrug: Some people don't like to be time gated, and that's fine.

If I run out of things to do on a particular day, I have plenty of other games I can turn to.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Ivan Dolvich posted:

So I just ordered my partner a Switch lite. We're planning on playing Animal crossing together and I've read there are some restrictions on that and also having multiple switches in the same household. I figure we'll have to get 2 copies of any game we would want to play together at the same time (assuming we each play on our own switch), including Animal Crossing. But for other games, does anyone know the best way to set it up so that we can play the games I already own on both machines (not at same time)? I read some stuff about setting a primary switch but it was a bit confusing. Also, we each have a profile on my current switch, can we use the same profiles on the new one? And how does that work for games we have 2 copies of? Does one have to be bought with each profile?

All right, by far the easiest way to share games between you is to get them physical. Pass them back and forth as you like. Your save is stored locally on your Switch, easy peasy.

If the games are digital, it's a bit trickier but doable. You're correct that you'd have to designate a Switch as your primary. Whichever Switch is the primary would not need an Internet connection to load a game. Ideally, that should be the Switch Lite, as it's the portable one. Your dockable Switch is more likely to have an Internet connection. So, for a game you want to share, the primary user has to buy it. Then, any secondary accounts on that Switch can play that game. If the non-primary account bought a game, only that account can play it.

Does that make sense?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

alarumklok posted:

I'm glad this is coming out Friday because I'm already going insane from working from home and it's been two days.

I hope everyone gets their fruit tree of choice. Oranges represent

Unsure what fruit I would like to have. Cherries or peaches would be the most thematic for an Island called Le BonZone, but I'm not terribly picky. For native fruit I've had Pears, Apples, and Cherries in the past. Something different might be nice, but again, not fussed.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Johnny Joestar posted:

for your own island it's mainly aesthetics. fruits from other people's games will sell for a lot more. also only your native fruit can grow into special better ones, iirc, which sell for more, but imported fruits will sell more at a baseline.

I only have experience with New Leaf. If it's the same in New Horizon, if you acquire some Perfect non-native fruit from another town, you can totally plant it in your own town. I had a haunted house surrounded by Perfect Apple trees.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Been setting up plots to welcome new residents to Le BonZone today!

Starting villagers were Renee the rhino and Antonio the anteater. Not great, not horrible. I went to a bunch of rando islands yesterday to get materials for the shop. None of the villagers there looked particularly cool or interesting so I didn't talk to them.

Today my husband spent his free Nook Miles Ticket and hey! It's Savannah! Savannah is cool. I asked him to invite her. So cool we have Savannah.

I go to the next rando island and there's a blue rhino wandering around. Husband thought he was cute and asked me to invite him. Ok great so now we have two rhinos, an anteater, and a zebra. Kind of an African animals theme going on here... ok that's kind of cool.

I get back home and notice one of the plots is sold! Name is Bubbles. The name didn't ring a bell so I looked it up. Bubbles is a hippo!

That is actually really eerie. :tinfoil:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

jimmydalad posted:

It took 1-2 hours of resource gathering (curse you hardwood), but my mini island project is finished! I know it has no use but I really enjoy the look of it and the idea of my residents having meals there and everything. It's all so cute :3

I my goodness. I love this! :neckbeard: This is just the kind of thing I want to do with my island! When you have the capability, (maybe even right now?!) you should lay down some patterns (or paths?) inside the fence to make it look like an outdoor patio. I'm rubbish at making patterns or I would suggest something specific. Maybe some nice gray cobblestone or something? Anyway it looks great and I love it.

Adding my +1 to "Omg the museum is incredible!" count. It's amazing. It's beautiful! I love it so much! Aaaaa I love this game!

And lastly, what I actually came here to post: I opened my gates for awhile last night just to let people come and go. Didn't advertise it cuz I din't want things to get toooo crazy. Had some folks come over and it was a good times. Got some nice messages on my bulletin board, somebody left me a wrapped present behind my house, and I got a super nice note with a present attached. :3: Ya'll are cool people. Thanks for hanging out!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

mercantilism posted:

Come hang out on my trash town, I've got everything but apples and some bamboo lying around! LVFSR

If you have apples please send help.

Apples ye receive! Straight from Le BonZone. Just as I was heading out, somebody came in wearing a sick looking purple wizard robe! I need that! NEED. I'll keep an eye out for it.

ZeusCannon posted:

Why are apples in demand? Ive got like 30 goddamn apples trees. I swim in an apple pond and bathe in apple juice.

loving nightmare that is apples. Maybe im too early and they get scarcer or something.

They are not, particularly. Happens you have apples as your island's native fruit. I do too. Some fruits can prove elusive if you're trying to collect the rest of the fruits. I am willing to share the apple wealth. Nothing will happen to your apples unless you chop down all your apple trees, and even then you guy buy apples from the Nook store for 400 Bells a pop.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

You can cut down trees? I thought they were immortal. I clearly need to play more

Yeah, the "Axe," as opposed to a Stone Axe, will chop down trees if you hit them 3 times with it. If you want to move a tree without killing it, you can eat a fruit and dig it up with a shovel to plant elsewhere. If you chop down a tree, it leaves behind a stump, which you can dig up with a shovel. But certain bugs spawn on top of stumps, so maybe leave a few. Stumps can also be sat upon, if you want some seating around your campfire or whatnot with a more rustic feel.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

My little bro just got the game. It's nice, cuz we're not going to be able to visit him for awhile due to the whole... ya know... so now we can hang out on each other's islands instead!

I'll need to put together a care package for him with fruit and a vaulting pole and ladder!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Khanstant posted:

What bonus floor/wall did you get?

How do you get a bonus floor/wall from her? She was in my town today and I just bought some stuff and she gave me... tickets? Which I redeemed for a mystery something or other. Is there something else you're supposed to do?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Tell me about flowers and their subsequent effect on bug availability. I only have white, red, and orange flowers - do I need to scum islands until I get others for a full museum eventually? Something about a peacock butterfly only spawning on colors I don't have? Will the Nooklings sell different colors every day cause they sure haven't yet.

I found some blue flowers on a rando island. I dug them up and planted them on my island. I've seen several with unique flower colors without really scumming for them. You can also hybridize flowers into different colors if you plant them next to each other and water them.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm just having fun fishing and stuff but it's just the same song for 4-5 days now? And I can just... make it stop if I gently caress with a clock?

I feel like it's a slippery slope but oooooh give me a breeaaak.

I have always said play the game however you dang want. Would time skipping a day let you have more fun? Then do it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

IronicDongz posted:

does it need to be raining to catch a string fish?

I caught one in a friend's town and it wasn't raining. It was nighttime though. I don't know if it has to be nighttime. I caught it in the pond at the highest point in her town but they're SUPPOSED to spawn anywhere in the river in the top 2 levels.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I let the game idle for a bit while I went to make tea, heard a funny noise and went to check.

Renee was standing in the plaza singing, while Hornsby was staring intently at a pansy with an ID book out. At least I assume that's what it was. It was just staring at that pansy, with a book in his hand, like it contained the secrets of the universe.

Then I moved down a little bit and Antonio was sitting on a stump nearby, just taking it all in. I waved to him and he waved back.

:3: I love this game.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Beastie posted:

Any advice on getting the 30 iron nuggets for the shop? I have about 3 rocks on my island.

Grab a Nook Miles Ticket! They give you a free one for a reason. You'll be whisked away to a random deserted island with trees and rocks on it that you can plunder to your hearts' content!

Oh yeah and also dig a couple holes behind you before you start hitting a rock so you can mash A and keep hitting it to get the most out of each one.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

C. E. Croix posted:

Gonna leave my island open for a bit while I play other games. I've also got Sahara. Dodo 4M37N.

Also, this game is understanding my mood...

Working at the grocery store today just wiped me out and it's pretty freaky Megan just brings this up.

I'm coming over with a present. Sorry you've had a lovely day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Huh, well here's something I didn't know could happen. Just was visiting C.E. Croix's island, bothering their villagers, like I do. Got to Drift the frog, who was hammering furiously at his workbench. Talked to him a couple times and he said he was making a Beekeeping Hive and offered to teach me the recipe!

I've had my own villagers do that, but I didn't know you could learn recipes from other people's villagers! That's cool.