Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Mustached Demon posted:

but you cannot wipe the boogers/snot off their nose ever

oh good, other kids do this

we're using the softest cloth soaked in aloe and saltwater by your mom. I would love to wipe my face with this. Instead, the second she sees it coming, she wipes her nose all over my shirt

and misses most of the boogers

while still getting it on my shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Posting in this unneccessary thread with my unneccessary baby in front of me learning about shapes by picking up the box and dropping it on my nuts

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
quick time to study the tenets of marxism-leninism and determine the weakest point of the cspam forums as a revolutionary entity

let's just skip right past the drugs and video game threads and go straight to parent chat

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Vyacheslav posted:

I agree, I'm just trying to see if there's any arguments for it, because everyone I've talked to has said exactly that.

Will sex partners care? Will he get bullied or something? Clearly I'm a terrified first time parent.

I am uncircumcised and got bullied for goddamn near everything but that, and none of my sex partners have cared.

Don't circumcise your kid would be my advice.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

yeah that's the big thing for me as a dad with a cut dingus. like I don't know what it's like to have a foreskin but I def know you need to peel that thing back and scrub it.

It's an extra 3 seconds in the shower if that, just make sure it's part of their hygeine routine from an early age.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My parents allowed us to stay up late to watch episodes of Masterpiece Theater on PBS, which was really clever now that I think about it.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bar Ran Dun posted:

yeah it’s a crazy amount of stress right now and knocks out having childcare for a solid week. wait till the really lovely stuff like croup comes back.

oh hey we just got notified about a croup case in our kids toddler room at daycare

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My wife bonded with our kid almost instantly and I didn't for like, two and a half months? Basically whenever I could get her to smile at my antics was when I flipped over.

I distinctly remember when I switched from "if there was a fire it is my duty to go through it if she is on the other side" to "I would unthinkingly go through anything for her" hard to explain better than that.

Infants! They kinda suck!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
With me it's the opposite where my daughter tends to want dad for comfort. Plus I'm the one who can and will hoist her increasingly heavy rear end and carry her for a while. Having a screaming 18 month old yell NO at my wife and run at me with her arms out has definitely stabbed knives into my wife's soul a few times.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

bitmap posted:

I dont have a clever or pithy post for it but holy poo poo I'm sad and scared for you american parents

Kind of nuts how much actual dread you can just swallow and love with!

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
my almost 2 year old somehow knows exactly where my nipples are at all times and when I'm carrying her will sometimes cling to my chest in such a way that all her weight is briefly hanging off my poor nip

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

bitmap posted:

you ever think about how you used to be a real human, with time to pursue interests and hang out with friends and stuff

yup. it helps if I don't define it as 'real human' but more recognize that like the transition from college - work I just have different responsibilities. Also my wife and I are making an effort to give each other more alone time, like "this saturday morning I've got the kid you go do whatever the hell you want" and trade off.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Microplastics posted:

Yeah we need to do more of this

E: we as in "my wife and I" not "I'm Benagain's wife"

Can you watch my kid so we can overlap?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I have one kid and I like kids and Im happy my friends who want more than one kid are able to have them but after wrestling my child into clothing and desperately attempting to get her to eat anything this morning I am reaffirmed in my one and doneness.

After carrying her screaming to daycare she turned around and said "bye daddy! I love you!" With a beaming smile so that made me feel better at least.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Devil is fine I don't want my kid getting pressganged into a virtual sweatshop

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Random question, I'm trying to get my 2.5 year old boosted and apparently her main provider either isn't stocking them right now or has no plans to? I'm trying to find a place that stocks the booster that will vaccinate under 3 yrs old around Chicago if anyone has any leads.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Nocturtle posted:

It appears to be a real pain for under three year olds to get boosters right now. It was difficult enough for our four year old as our pediatrician's office similarly doesn't stock the booster. Don't have any specific recommendations for the Chicago area unfortunately. I'm guessing you looked into the CVS "minute clinics", which seem to be the only pharmacy option for under three year olds? Alternatively you might try checking out independent pediatric practices, some provide shots or have clinics open to non-patients. This is how we got our younger kid their primary series shots when we learned our pediatrician's office didn't provide them and none of the pharmacies had them in stock.

Oh poo poo I just figured cvs was like Walgreens and wouldn't do under 3 but I'll check.

Also why isn't my pediatrician stocking the god drat booster

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Struensee posted:

Our oldest was 4 years old before he wanted to stop wearing a diaper. poo poo sucked.

We had a great method for encouraging our kid to potty train! And when I say "had a method," i mean "she had horrific diaper rash that kept coming back and we had to hold her down to wipe her butt while she screamed in agony and after the third round of that she also had constipation so she kept pooping small nuggets six times a day and the combination of all of those meant she got lots of potty training and how to hold your pee with no diaper in short order"

So not something I'd uh, recommend. But she's potty trained.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

my 5 year old has decided today she will walk like a crab everywhere she goes. lets see how long it can last.

I guess it's crab day, my kid woke up and started making pinching motions and declared we were all crabs.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Noise cancelling headphones so you can listen to a podcast or something.

God I do not miss the nights where the only thing that would get her down was hours of bouncing on an exercise ball

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

AxGrap posted:

How do you chill when they got you on your last loving nerve (5ish year old, 2 week break and then 2 snow days and I'm working from home).

Like, I don't wanna snap at him but ease the gently caress up kid.

remember it's okay to walk away or close your eyes and breathe for a second.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I'd visit it and see how you feel.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I am absolutely sure that if another kid happened I would love them to bits and absolutely sure that i am totally fine just having one.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

meanolmrcloud posted:

on the children’s song front: we were surprised a few months ago when we discovered the 22 month old could count way past 10 and on to 20, something she absolutely picked up from super simple songs.

lol my 2 1/2 year old kid just started counting from 1-20 in spanish one day and we're like "thank god someone is educating this child because it wasn't us"

I mean she's not 100% she tends to skip 9 in both english and spanish and gets lost somewhere around 15 but hell, she can say quince! it's very cute.

we also had a minor blackout near us last night and we could see the repair guy in a cherry picker from our kitchen window, which became the dominant topic of conversation for the next 18 hours. All through breakfast this morning she was asking where the crane was, what happened to the crane? was it hiding or sleeping?

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
god there was this golden-in-retrospect period when she was like, three or four months old? and she would just nap on me. Wake up, boob with mom, hang out for a bit, then strap on to dad and I get to eat lunch and play some video games while she sleeps.

my wife was not amused when I handed her back over without brushing the sandwich crumbs out of her hair one time but she didn't seem to mind.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Changing the names here but I know a guy called "Bob." His parents, since he was born, referred to him as Bob. All his family and friends, everyone he knows, refer to him as Bob.

His legal name is roughly Ruben Dane

His parents have never given an adequate explanation.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mean I worry less about that stuff because of the existential stuff but yep.

My job is not to shield my child from all harm, because that's impossible and they grow up. My job is to try and teach my kid how to be resilient in the face of that poo poo and to give them a loving space to come back to if they need help. That's the mantra I keep telling myself if I think about it too much.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

loquacius posted:

Wife thought I wasn't connecting enough with the baby, so today I held him for a two-hour nap while I played Zelda and she had to deal with our two-year-old throwing up everywhere, in closing it's working and I am in fact connecting with him more

Why has no one developed a game tracker that will detect when you're being slept on by a kid

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My dad wasn't circumcised and managed to teach me just fine. "Pull your foreskin back when you're taking a bath or shower and it's very important you do it every time" was about all the instruction I got and my idiot five year old brain could handle it.

edit: also as someone who isn't circumcised as long as the kid's not in pain you're fine, trust me it's a uh, pretty intuitive experience. If they're not hurting themselves they're doing it right.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
good god we had a poo poo catastrophe like we haven't had in a while. I got poo poo on my knee

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My child ate 1.5 pb & j sandwiches while sprinting around a playground tonight for dinner.

and I mean literally shoving her face full and sprinting

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
My kid informed me it wasn't fair for her to wipe herself.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Me: are you putting your clothes on?

Six year old: 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 [pause] 2048 [longer pause] 4096

I'm pretty sure this kid is gonna be bored in maths class... Also he will never get laid on account of not being able to focus on changing clothes.

*Taps head* if you're always naked you don't need to change clothes

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

BonHair posted:

Denmark. I don't know that we have actual gifted schools, but private schools can do what they want, as long as the students pass the standardised exams. It's like a Catholic school, except with mensa instead of pope.

that statement made me reflexively support a new crusade and I'm not catholic

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The advantages of city life baby! I mean my kid's 3 so we're not sending her out by herself yet but all that other stuff still happens. I hope I'm not sick this year so I can actually accept a beer from a house. (there are so many houses that go full on bananas and every adult just camps out in the front yard with a cooler.)

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
You can be racist against the dutch or Italians with no problem so just throw clogs at him until he gets it

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
I don't want to have that in my search history

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Oh yeah there's something deep and primal that hits your brain the first time you hand the baby to someone you trust (that isn't your partner who is also bone tired) Did the same thing w mine when she was a wee babe.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Another Bill posted:

e/n but one of my kids is performing for the first time today on a real stage in a bar in front of real people. She plays the fiddle... I'm a very proud parent :3:

You twisted dickensian monster, forcing your own flesh and blood to play for the amusement of others!

Not but seriously that's awesome and you should be proud.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

how much should we pay a babysitter who doesn't know how much to charge

just watching the seven year old for a few hours

edit: babysitter is 16ish if that matters

25 bucks an hour and yes I know that might seem steep but a) you're paying them to keep your child alive and b) you want this babysitter you've found to think of you positively and be available in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Don't pay less than minimum wage to the 16 year old who doesn't know any better.