Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Chad Sexington posted:

Anybody ever deal with infant bottle aversion?

Our girl was a preemie originally diagnosed with NEC and then later a milk allergy. Now on hypoallergenic formula. She's only 15 weeks adjusted and still a little thing at 11 pounds -- I think 9th percentile for weight.

She has started fighting us a little bit at feeds and we're starting to zero in on maybe it being an aversion caused by us pressuring her to eat. She'll scream sometimes when the bib goes on. Or arch her back when we go to give her the nipple even though she might initially go for it or give us hunger cues.

The initial thought was that it was reflux. We added oatmeal to her formula, but that seemed to make it worse. Once my wife suggested aversion though I read a book on it and it seems to fit the bill. My wife is an anxious person and feels a lot of internalized pressure to make her gain weight, especially given the inability to breast feed. I think baby might be picking up on those vibes?

We also got some bad (I think) advice from a GI about our formula concentration. She gave us this off-book recipe for the formula that I calculated as being 24.5 kcal/oz, when most feeding guidance is based on 20 kcal/oz. So we've been trying to get her to live up to a certain volume when she's also getting 22% extra calories. So of course she's full and then pissed off when we try and keep feeding her after she's full.

Having a kid is an eye-opening reminder that a lot of times doctors don't know poo poo. Or even if they do, they don't have the time to really actually be useful.

Why do you think the fortified formula is bad? It should help her gain weight.

My daughter had a suspected cow's milk allergy, which turned out to be bullshit and she had something else. But I've been through all this, especially the weight gain pressure and anxiety, the inability to breastfeed, cycling through extrememly expensive formulas with fortified recipes, etc..

Are you doing regular weights at your paediatrician? If not, I would suggest getting a scale and doing regular weights at home to alleviate some anxiety. If she's gaining weight, there's no reason to stress out about feeding too much.

Reflux happens after feeding, and it would be fairly obvious if she's having pain after feeding.

Lastly, if she's able to hold her head up, get a bumble chair and start solids asap. Solids can be very very good for helping kids with GI issues grow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Thanks for the aversion advice all. We've tried to be diligent about relaxing the feeding anxiety on our end (lol) and it seems to have helped.

Which is good because we have work to do now on sleep routines and naps. Just went full Danish on our girl today and left her outside in her stroller to finish a nap.

Feel free to pm if you want an extremely detailed discussion of baby intestines and poops. thats pretty much my entire life rn and for the past 3 years

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

scrolling the forums on the couch with my toddler looking over my shoulder

so far she is 100% at pointing out peoples dumb paw patrol and cat avatars

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

babies are idiots, theyd kill themselves if left to their own devices

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

one tip i have for food is try to find stuff that has similar textures to their favorite foods. Kids are really sensitive to food textures, more so than flavours. and just keep offering it all the time. you never know when theyll change their mind. toddlers are shifty fuckers.

all that stuff sounds fairly normal to me but i dont know your kid. you just gotta keep trying.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

getting my mom a matrix dvd

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

at one point my daughter was prescribed a carb free formula that is literally only made in australia for some reason and has to be ordered from a special hospital pharmacy

luckily that only lasted a month

the 60 dollar puramino cans were fortunatly covered in ontario

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

i cant believe theres people out there saying their kindergartener is "gifted" to the point where theres a whole loving school for them

what do they do, colour inside the lines?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

just put a single bed in the kids room along with the crib, if the kid wakes up go sleep with them in the bed for awhile, have parents alteranate nights doing this

there you go, one lucky person gets a nice sleep every night

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

welcome to hell

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

my kid was never in daycare before kindergarten and was pretty much isolated from other kids her age with a few exceptions from 2020-2022 for obvious reasons and i was worried about her socialization based on all these parents freaking out about it

guess what she's been in full day kindergarten for a half year and she's been completely fine and was on the same level as every other kid in about a week

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Glumwheels posted:

These people who said their kids developed x problem due to the pandemic are telling on themselves.

I had some kooky grandma tell me randomly in a coffee shop her grandson had speech problems due to the lockdown while my kids speak three languages. Whose fault is that lady?

My little guy got his report card for pre-school and he’s very well socialized per the school, learning English and his 3rd language well, and doing great overall. The only comment was he prefers construction toys to coloring with crayons…duh?? He loves construction vehicles and drawing but prefer the former, he’s 3.

we asked the kindergarten teacher about socialization and she was like... yeah kids this age don't really socialize. they play next to one another. they're not gossiping about timmy not being potty trained yet.

guess who is though

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

My kid can watch whatever the hell she wants as long as it's age appropriate

The gently caress do I care if she's into blippi and poo poo

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Don't worry he'll get his revenge soon enough

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

gently caress you

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

[ask] me about potty training a kid with congenital diarrhea

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

posting on something awful should end at age 30. Yet here we are

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

buddy once 8 pm rolls around its nothing but seinfeld reruns and shitposting until i pass out

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

I think our kindergartener has figured out the concept of "the weekend." He likes going to school and playing with his friends, but I think he's a little disappointed that we can't play outside all day tomorrow. It's a bummer. Sorry kiddo.

my daughter says have a great weekend every night before she goes to bed

i dont have the heart to tell her

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

My daughter threw up on our toilet and now will only go in the ikea potty so you're not alone dude. She's 4.5 and still in diapers. The stress about potty training is entirely about the workers not wanting to deal with diapers. Every kid is different. It's unfortunate with the caregivers are being dumb about it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

one weird trick daycare workers HATE

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

I really don't think you're ever going to be able to get 4 year old to sit down and do homework. I just ignore that stuff

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

i'd change wipes and assume there's some kind of rash thats making it painful

also if you get dry wipes and wet them with warm water it feels better than a cold wipe

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

let me tell you about labial fusion

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

sonatinas posted:

when my daughter was like 2 we had to buy real expensive topical hormones to ease the labial fusion. it was like $350 for the tube and we maybe used like barely any of it because it could cause puberty like appearances and it didn’t take much to correct it.

if we knew any older women who needed it I would have given it away.

lol that price is ridiculous. america?

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

getting legionnaires disease is good for kids, actually

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

i just got suckered into buying 80 dollar light up toddler shoes

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

honestly how the gently caress do you classify someone in kindergarten as "gifted"

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

It's gonna be a wide gap between kids who got fancy high quality childcare and kids who didn't. S Korea was a testbed for offloading the cost of competitive education to the parent.

Some kids come into kindergarten already knowing the alphabet and how to sound out words, some kids come into kindergarten without being potty trained and not enough muscle development to hold a crayon. poo poo sux

That's the point of kindergarten, everyone learns from one another. I just don't see how you could seriously conclude a 4 year old is some kind of prodigy because they don't poo poo their pants.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

lol hope she gets lots of sickdays

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

brugroffil posted:

Can't say the 4.5 yo cared much about the totality but the six year old was amped up

mine was pumped up until it happened then she found a huge stick to swing around and lost interest

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Thats really sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

3 yrs is young for stuff like that. Might just want to layoff for another year.