Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

We are 21 days from due date, and:
Baby size is 91%ile
Baby head size is 99%ile.
They're pretty sure we're going to schedule a c-section either at today's appointment or next week, because while the human body is amazing this baby is not going to fit

yikes. the human body is amazing mostly in the sense that it can survive despite being such a mess of half-assed parts, and childbirth is one of the things our bodies are the worst at

anyway it will very likely be totally fine, good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
one thing we have noticed since having a kid is that the baby formula situation in the US is all hosed up, even beyond the frequent shortage issues

80% of formula is made by two companies, Similac (Abbott) and Enfamil (Mead Johnson). If you go with these big name brands they're always over $1 per ounce no matter where you buy them. In fact the price for the various versions seems to be coordinated such that it is almost precisely the same, and the ingredients are almost precisely the same. It's an obvious cartel situation and between them they represent the vast majority of the formula you actually see on shelves.

Your alternatives to these are mostly Gerber (Nestle), which is also expensive, extra-pricey EU/Australian brands, or Perrigo, which makes store brand formula. The Perrigo formula is almost completely the same stuff as Simlac and Enfamil but costs half as much (~50c-70c per ounce). Most of the store brand formula, including for Walmart, Target, Costco, and Sam's Club, are Perrigo. So basically, we just buy Perrigo. But the availability is super spotty, and it hasn't been stocked at Costco for something like six weeks now. So we face the prospect of paying double or driving around like crazy people from store to store looking for the store brand formula.

this poo poo sucks!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

sonatinas posted:

we used aldi formula, seemed ok!

Yep, that's also Perrigo. Anyway we ended up ordering some online from Sam's Club since the store brands are all wiped out around here.

quote:

Also I think our supply is more secure due to not being a failing state and also a dairy country.

Oh there's plenty of dairy here, that's not an issue. The real shortage problems came about from the biggest cartel member, Abbott Laboratories/Similac, getting so lazy and greedy that they actually killed some babies as a result of bacterial infections traced to their largest plant (after they ignored pitting and holes in factory piping for seven years, ignored whistleblowers, etc.), which triggered a recall, shut down the plant, and generally wrecked the entire formula market instantly. It's really funny that they can still charge so much their product after all that.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My friends' kid has a weird mix of allergies and they had to buy special formula that cost £40 a tub :stonklol:

Thats as much as a tub of "normal" name brand formula costs here :shepicide:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Costco finally got the Kirkland formula back in stock this morning and the shelves were swarmed and stripped bare within hours. At least we are restocked!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Took our kids to Legoland today and have so far spent the whole morning waiting in line for progressively lamer rides which my three-year-old has first insisted on riding but then thrown a tantrum and refused to actually ride every time

I just had to do an early exit from the Duplo Express because she chickened out of a train ride for babies

My wife was apparently also like this as a kid, I dunno how to handle it

My parents still give me poo poo for freaking out on a ride when I was three years old. I think it was Big Thunder Mountain at Disneyland.

That power is now in your hands...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

This baby is not eating. His mom is away until tomorrow and he just screams and screams instead of taking this bottle. How the hell am I going to survive the night

Just keep at it, he'll get hungry enough to eat eventually

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Our 6 M/O is dex build also

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RBC posted:

i cant believe theres people out there saying their kindergartener is "gifted" to the point where theres a whole loving school for them

what do they do, colour inside the lines?

Yeah these are just rich people who understand implicitly that getting their kid into elite institutions and programs will give them a leg up.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Microplastics posted:

My employer just brought in a new policy: instead of getting just the 2 weeks statutory paternity leave, new fathers get 26 weeks leave fully paid (and it's not like shared leave - the mother doesn't have to sacrifice any leave)

I'm extremely happy for anyone who'll benefit from this and extremely sad that I missed this goddamn boat by two loving years jesus christ :argh:

holy poo poo half a year off

Mustached Demon posted:

you know what must be done

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Putting your kid in daycare while you're still on leave is mind-boggling

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
paid $300 to register for an infant daycare spot in February

$1,650/month for Mon-Fri care

and we felt lucky, the other places were more

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Really glad we didn't end up having to do that; when our first was born my wife took peak pandemic as an excuse to quit her job and we didn't do infant daycare at all. I've talked about it ITT before, daycare costs so goddamn much that for a lot of people you don't actually turn much of a profit from using it to get a second income and you're working just to avoid a Resume Gap, the system is that uncaring

I really do think half the point of public schooling is to give people daycare so both parents can be good little worker bees, but of course the system is stupid as well as uncaring so we don't have universal Pre-K and you don't get that benefit until your youngest is 5

neither of us can quit our jobs if we want to make ends meet, unfortunately. at least we'll get a $5,000 tax deduction from the dependent care FSA (love 2 have tax deductions instead of public services :shepicide:)

thankfully we have had a ton of help from my wife's parents and family (and some from my own parents), so he won't have to start daycare until he is 10 months old. one of our friends started daycare for their tiny little girl (borderline preemie) at 4 months. they also need both incomes and they hardly got any parental leave and zero family help. poo poo is rough out there

Vox Nihili has issued a correction as of 04:46 on Nov 18, 2023

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

The other night after kiddo went to bed I grabbed an ice cream sandwich from the fridge, took it to the bathroom to unwrap it where it wouldn't be super loud and obvious, then I turned around to see her standing in the doorway looking me right in the eyes as I was taking a bite. I was so busted I couldn't help laughing and splitting it with her. I decided there if she catches me during nighttime snack time, she'll get some (I didn't tell her this obviously). Leprechaun rules!

I fear the days when I will not be moving our little guy from one safely enclosed pen to another

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Love to check the nanny cam and see the little guy literally bouncing off the sides of the crib like a pinball machine at 4:45 am

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Polling the thread: how old should a child be before they are given their first personal 72-pound wheel of Parmigiano Reggiano

If the child is a Venetian merchant prince, age 4 or so

If the child is not a Venetian merchant prince, that's probably too much dang cheese

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

I put too much formula in the over-night feed bottle because we had a pre-measured amount of water from today's outting.
This has angered the wife so much that she refused to accept my help and let her take a quick nap before I had to go work.

Now you hosed up bud

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
apparently 8 months old is old enough to start losing his mind at the sitter when it's not mom, dad, or grandma

poor lady is in for a rough one

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

The goblins on my phone look at this chart and it makes sense because smartphones. It's all because of those dirty rottin parents giving their dirty rottin Iphones.

Social media is an affliction on mankind

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
for Christmas we received enough gifts suitable for 12-48 month old children to fill an entire room, all for our 8 month-old child

i guess this is how it starts

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Option this puppy to Netflix, IMO

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

The two genders

it do be like that

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Dropped our kid off at daycare for the first time. Little guy can't even talk yet, it feels awful.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Because it's a modern operation the daycare sends us photos of the kid looking absolutely miserable every 15 minutes or so just to make sure we know

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Dropped our kid off at daycare for the first time. Little guy can't even talk yet, it feels awful.

Vox Nihili posted:

Because it's a modern operation the daycare sends us photos of the kid looking absolutely miserable every 15 minutes or so just to make sure we know

In the end he seemed to recover pretty well and didn't spend the entire day crying or anything, although he was certainly overjoyed to finally see us at 5. Hopefully by the end of the week it will just seem normal to him.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Day 4 of daycare: he's still crying every time we drop him off. Maybe we shouldn't have started daycare right around the same time that separation anxiety was developing, but we could only put it off for so long.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

lobster shirt posted:

we are paying 1900/mo for two kids, 0700-1800. that is one of the cheaper options too lol. shits hosed. cant wait until they are in school, going to be like getting a raise.

$950/month per kid for full extended day coverage is a drat deal

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
our kid has his first nasty cold, immediately following his first week of daycare

hes just completely miserable, it's very sad

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
On the plus side we get a good excuse to miss my wife's formal attire work event since we're home with a sick kid...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RBC posted:

gently caress you

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Day 4 of daycare: Kid comes up sick with his first cold. Unsurprising.

Day 5: Kid stays home, looks miserable, tons of snot. Poor guy.

Day 6 (Saturday): I think I started getting the bug the kid brought home at this point, not too bad though. Kid looking slightly better.

Day 7 (Sunday): I am fully hosed up with whatever horrific bug the kid got, although he is looking much better.

Day 8 (back to daycare): Now I've got conjunctivitis from this whole thing somehow, I wake up with my eye sealed shut. Absolutely wretched. Kid seems fine. What the hell.

Day 9: I can barely get out of bed. Kid is now walking around like he owns the place at 10 months old.

Day 10: See day 9.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

SirPablo posted:

I'd say less than minimum wage in your area by 1/2 to 1/3, then you can round up. So probably just give them a $20.

Wtf

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

loquacius posted:

Potty training has progressed to the point where she's had no accidents today and I suspect she might be min/maxing her poops to optimize her prize sticker production rate

Three poops today??? Unlikely

Future gamer...

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Nothing like realizing you have a flat tire right after loading up the kid in his car seat on the way to daycare. Fun morning.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
we've all been sick roughly 25 days out of the last 30, I'm losing my goddamn mind!!!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If we all get whatever this kid has I'm going to be a lot more stringent about letting her in the house in the future.

Lol, "if"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

External Organs posted:

I love weird new toddler language as they pick things up.

My daughter, screaming and crying while we put her shoes on this morning:

FOR REAL?? FOR REAL??
:qqsay:

drat she skipped straight ahead to teenager

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
there's like a 50/50 chance our kid got a mild case of Hand, foot, and mouth disease at this wretched daycare, holy poo poo EVERY DAY THERE IS A NEW AILMENT IN MY HOME

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

there's like a 50/50 chance our kid got a mild case of Hand, foot, and mouth disease at this wretched daycare, holy poo poo EVERY DAY THERE IS A NEW AILMENT IN MY HOME

Update: 100% chance I've got this poo poo, lmao